Infest Review

Lyrics: 9.8
 9.1
 8.8
Infest Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on march 09, 2007

Sound: This is the first CD I heard by Papa Roach, and it made me like the band. It's a really good sounding CD, and I don't even normally listen to rap-rock. Coby does a good job choosing when to rap or sing (there are a few songs that don't even have rap), and does a good job in general singing. One of the best songs is Binge, which is entirely sung, and sounds really good. Tobin has good bass lines, especially in the second part of Thrown Away (after the intermission). Jerry also has great guitar riffs, especially in songs like Last Resort and Blood Brothers, but my favorite is definetly Between Angels and Insects. Dave Buckner does an awesome job drumming, the Blood Brothers intro and Thrown Away (entire song) are a ton of fun to play. All of the songs flow together nicely, and there aren't any parts that I even consider skipping. Overall, a ten here. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said before, Coby does a perfect job choosing between rap or singing, and when he picks one of the two, it sounds amazing. Best song for singing is Binge, the lyrics are about being alcoholic and sound really cool put together with the rest of the music. I really can't listen to rap by itself, but this CD sounds good in my opinion with the rap. Another good mention for singing is Broken Home, the lyrics fit together well, and add energy to the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the only rap-rock album from P-Roach, so you really can't compare it to their other music. However, it's a good CD and worth buying. There's nothing bad on it, and there is a lot of esceptional material. My favorite song is definetly Thrown Away, mostly because I like long songs, but also the second part sounds really cool and couldn't be better for any of the insruments. The first part is also awesome, wasting no time starting off loud and heavy, and not letting up until the intermission thing, which sounds pretty cool stashed there in between halves of the song. // 10

Infest Reviewed by: cold_static544, on october 27, 2003

Sound: The style used here is very hardcore, nu-metal, angsty. Before you write them off as another typical, generic nu-metal band, think again. I'm not a fan of nu-metal but I actually had this CD a few years and I dug it up and listened to it again. They were a great inspiration to me in the past. And I could see why. Guitar-wise, even in the absence of solos, Jerry Horton does display his riffing powress though it is only moderately difficult technically, he's a good writer where riffs are concerned and his riffs do complement the song without it sounding like another typical nu-metal "four powerhords below the fifth fret" riff. The whole album is HEAVY! and may scare the more timid listener. It is definitely more hardcore than most nu-metal records back then and now. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics was what insipired me the most. Why I was attracted to roach was because primarily because of Jacoby Shaddix the lead vocalist. The lyrics are very political. But it is kinda abstract unlike Rage Against The Machine. And it does reflect on moral issues in songs like "Snakes" and "Blood Brothers" even touching on spousal abuse in "Revenge". The lyrics of "between angels and insects" rhyme well and fit the song but still brings forth a strong message. I have heard better singers technically but what strikes me about him is his sheer conviction in his voice in what the lyrics are talking about. I'll definitely give it a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: Actually I did not compare it with other artists and I just bought it on the spot. This CD actually taught me one thing "if it sucks at the first listen, listen harder to appreciate it instead of ditching it. I love the CD primarily because of its lyrics, and it has really inspired me as a person and a musician. Even though I listen to other stuff (Opeth, Led Zep, Pantera etc.) I still pop this CD in to get adrenaline-on-the-go. If it were stolen i would get a new one. Yes, it is definitely worth buying. Given, Lovehatetragedy was a failure in my opinion because the lyrics did not carry the moral conviction such as this album and Jerry Horton's riff-writing ability was pretty much suppressed. But even Papa Roach admitted that Lovehatetragedy was a failure so be prepared for the next album where the vibe would be very much like this one... // 8

Infest Reviewed by: Whstripesrox, on june 10, 2004

Sound: Papa Roach's sound during this album is rap metal. Personally I can't stand rap, but I like this since it has a rippin' guitar behind. Papa Roach's guitarist is not the best in the world but he does show a little technique on Last Resort. I guess Papa Roach can be defined as "nu-metal", but this album is better than most nu-metal crap. The guitarist tunes different though then most other nu-metal bands. Instead of tuning so low there's now reason for a bass he just tunes it drop D, which is fine in my opinion. All and all I like Papa Roach's sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good. All the songs on here have morales to the songs. Last Resort talks about suicide (which is wrong), Broken talks about a young man having to endure the hardships of having his parent's divorced. That was just two of the eleven songs that have meanings to them. Coby's singing (rapping) I think it's okay. I especially like his singing on Last Resort and Between Angels and Insects, despite all the cussing. They are going to have to change the way they sing in the future, because rap-metal is on its way out. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Papa Roach's best album. To tell the truth I've never heard their other album but from what I've heard this record is better. The best songs are Infest, Last Resort, Broken Home, Between Angels and Insects, and Blood Brothers. I like the lyrics and the guitar, though I could do without the cussing. I think this album is worth your money. // 8

Infest Reviewed by: boyan89, on july 26, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is really, really good for a nu-metal band. The guitars on this album are amazing and mindblowing for a nu-metal band they sound awfully good with that fast paced riff in Last Resort and that amazing intro in Between Angels And Insects. The bass on this album is incredible and it is played very nicely througout the whole album. The drums on this album are amazing and they are overwhelming for a rap-metal band and I think they just sound really good on this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are very good and intelligent. Jacoby is an amazing songwriter and I do not think his lyrics are emotional they are giving that FU sign to parents and sometimes talking about suicide and shit like that. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is very amazing and it cannot compare to any other albums because Papa Roach have their own nu-metal sound which I find is really good. I do not have any favourite songs on this album because the songs on this album are just very nicely planned out and written. If it were stolen/lost I would defenitely buy it again because it is a must have for any fan of nu-metal or anyone just trying to try out Papa Roach and see what their sound sounds like because it is amazing. // 10

Infest Reviewed by: unique-x-life, on november 24, 2006

Sound: The music I think is really good, and the sound is just great. They manage to get a really rocky sound without putting me off. Usually I don't like the real rock but I love papa roach. The actual music is pretty different to most other bands, and that's probably why I like it. I get board of all these bands that are the same. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are definately emo but they are good and they do have a meaning. Some lyrics are pointless and rubbish but I do like these. At one point I had them as my msn name! The main singer I think is pretty good, and I like the way that he sings the songs. // 9

Overall Impression: The album is very different to most others I have in my collection, but I still really like it. I would say my favourite song was last resort, and I think that many people would say so to. The main thing I love about the album is that it has originality and is something new, but isn't too weird that you wouldn't listen to it. If the album was stolen then I wouldn't buy it again because I have all the songs on my computer and would just burn them onto a disk. The only problem with Papa Roach is that they do some really good songs, but they do some really bad ones too which is very annoying when you buy the album because you only listen to half of the songs. // 7

More Papa Roach reviews rating latest review