lovehatetragedy Review

9.3
 9.1
 9.4
lovehatetragedy Reviewed by: DemonRiffs, on december 16, 2003

Sound: Before the release of Lovehatetragedy, Jacoby Shaddix was quoted saying "we're leaving the listener a little more room for their interpretation of the song". If Papa Roach are good at one thing, it's keeping their promises! Lovehatetragedy sounds like Papa Roach all right, but with a few distinct differences to their first well known album, Infest. Jacoby (a.k.a. Coby Dick) does very little rapping this time around, instead it's pure, adrenaline driven hard rock. The signature P. Roach riffs are all still here and so are the energetic shouts and rantings! That's not to say that their not experimenting with new sounds. The song Singular Indestructible Droid begins with tribal drum beats and primal-sounding chanting, leading into an intro bassline, further giving way to an undeniably hooky guitar riff and passionate vocals by none other than Jacoby himself. // 10

Lyrics: Papa Roach may of said good-bye to their rapping days, but have opened up a whole new chapter in Coby Dicks diary. It's all of the creative songwriting that makes lovehatetragedy as compelling as Infest, but a twist of screaming and shouting turns it into a loud, offensive masterpiece! // 10

Overall Impression: Rap-metal fans will most probably be disappointed at first. But listen with an open mind and you'll find it difficult to press stop! // 10

lovehatetragedy Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 31, 2003

Overall Impression: This is an album i have recently bought and very much enjoyed. This album compared to the "Infest" is unbelieable. It shows how the band has grown over the years to produce a first rate album like "LOVEHATETRAGEDY". The first single "She loves me not" is a song that is based on a relatonship Coby Shadix (Singer) had in the past. This song has shown how Coby has grown over the years as a lyricist and how he has become more poetic in expresing his feelings which is pretty hard for a witer to do. The music that the band has put together on this album shows how all the members have have grown as musicians since the earlier songs like DiRtY CuT FrEaK and July. The second single to come out is "Time and Time again" Which is also about a relationship that Coby is having. When he is saying Time and time again you think about yourself before you think about me he is saying that that used to be his partner talking to him and when he says yes I did it and I'll do it again he is saying that no matter how many times I screw you over I'm still gonna keep screwin you over. The whole album is very good and there is not one song on the album that could not be a single. Some personal favorites are "Life is a bullet", Singular indistructible Droid", "Decompression Period" and "LOVEHATETRAGEDY" This is a must have album for any fan of alternative music and any fan of any other Papa Roach songs or albums. // 8

lovehatetragedy Reviewed by: MetaltilIm60, on january 17, 2006

Sound: I went out and bought this album the week it came out. I loved their first album infest so much that I went out and bought this one thinking it would be similar. Boy was I wrong. The first song sounds like it was recorded in my garage. Fortunately that is the only place where the production isn't up to snuff. The sound is a lot less screaming and face melting metal and a lot more melody and poppy rock. Their are a few bright moments but overall not what I expected at all. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics overall weren't that bad. Their where some great lines and cool choruses on this album but again it caught me by surprise considering the lyrics weren't as heavy metal but would have felt at place on an emo record (some of the lyrics not all of them). Not bad but I their should have been more mosh moments. // 9

Overall Impression: It is not a bad record and I do like it but I would have liked it a lot more if it was by another band, or if it had come after Getting Away With The Murder instead of Infest. It's a good second effort but in my mind it will never live up to Infest partially because it was a more mainstream sound. Overall this is probably their most accesable record. If it where stolen I don't know if I would buy it again but at the least I would burn it from a friend. // 8

lovehatetragedy Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on february 21, 2007

Sound: Lovehatetragedy is definetly a different sound for P-Roach after Infest, but it's for better, rap rock was dying out, and this CD sounds amazing. Jacoby Shaddix does a great job on vocals, especially the lyrics/rap section of She Loves Me Not. Jerry comes up with more cool guitar lines, especially Decompression Period. Tobin comes up with more good bass lines (Code Of Energy) and Dave Buckner proves once again he is an amazing drummer with lines like the Time And Time Again verse. Overall the CD sounds really cool, and there isn't a boring moment in it. // 10

Lyrics: Jacoby does a good job singing on this CD, a clean transition out of rap. The vocals do a perfect job of complimenting the music, especially in She Loves Me Not, where Jacoby throws rap back in during the bridge, and it sounds amazing. The only problm with the lyrics is Singular Indestructable Droid, because I have no idea what it's about and it doesn't seem to be about anything anyway. Whatever, I still like the song, I just don't see it's point. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a really cool album, a step in the right direction for P-Roach. They changed their image without losing any talent or power and transitioned perfectly out of rap-rock. If someone stole it, I would definetly get it again, but not necessarily right away, it was hard enough to find in the first place. // 10

More Papa Roach reviews rating latest review