Metamorphosis Review

papa roach: Metamorphosis
Released: Mar 24, 2009
Genre: Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal
Label: DGC, Interscope
Once multi-platinum aggro rockers Papa Roach come out swinging, just like they always do, fusing melody and maelstrom with groove with relative ease.
 7.8
 8.4
 7.1
Metamorphosis Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 26, 2009

Sound: It's a bit unfair to lump Papa Roach into the faded nu metal and rap rock scenes. While the band certainly shot to fame during that era it was the late 1990s, for those of you keeping score at home Jacoby Shaddix and his cohorts were guiltier by association than anything. The California band's signature groove is present on Metamorphosis, an album which despite the connotations of it's title, isn't too far removed from the band's hallmark sound, which is aggressive riffing and Shaddix's unconventional, emotionally all over the place vocal delivery. "I Almost Told You" boasts a hook that you could hang a hat on, while the razor sharp "Change Or Die" operates on a turbo-charged, punk rock battery. While Papa Roach may be five albums deep into their career, this song sounds like something they wrote during their nascent years and they just yanked it out and reworked it, thanks to the song's venomous, snarling energy. One thing that's more prevalent on Metamorphosis is the Guns N' Roses influence that rears it's head on the hopeful anthem "Lifeline" and the glitzy and glammy "Hollywood Whore," two songs that will camp out in your cranium for day at a time, thanks to the melodies. "Had Enough" is a slower, more contemplative song that demonstrates the maturity and songwriting growth that comes with being a band for so long. "Live This Down" is chunky, choppy and riffy song that is vintage Papa Roach. Also, it's refreshing to hear the band attempt another semi-ballad with "March Out Of The Darkness," which mixes guitar crunch with lyrical introspection and impassioned vocals. // 8

Lyrics: Sure, Papa Roach may have been considered "I Hate My Dad Rock," thanks to their earlier hits, like "Last Resort," which served as therapeutic songs for the band and the listeners. But that tag is undeserved and certainly she'd with Metamorphosis. Shaddix continues tackling a wider range of lyrical topics here, showcasing that's he grown up and has achieved clarity as life goes on. He alternates between a nasally clean vocal and a mid-level scream and he still knows how to craft a chorus that begs to be sung along with. He's still a bundle of nervous energy and an emotional firecracker, which only adds to his, the band's and Metamorphosis' charm. // 8

Overall Impression: Papa Roach are like the insect in their name although the "Roach" is actually a reference to Shaddix's grandfather, so humor me here. They won't die. They won't be killed. They won't go away. If there was a nuclear winter, Papa Roach would survive because of their tenacity and their impressive ability to churn out radio-friendly hit's that demand head bobbing! There's a reason that Papa Roach have outlasted so many of their peers and that's due in part to their songwriting prowess, which remains a strong suit on Metamorphosis. Papa Roach have all markings and makings of a career band. // 8

- Amy Sciarretto (c) 2009

Metamorphosis Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on march 26, 2009

Sound: Papa Roach's fifth studio album, Metamorphosis out on DGC/Interscope Records shows the band to be in excellent shape. The flames ignited by Jerry Horton's guitar shreds recall of Mudvayne, and the way Jacoby Shaddix's vocals wrestle with them takes brute strength worthy of Three Days Grace's lead vocalist Adam Gontier. The rhythm section of bass guitarist Tobin Esperance and drummer Tony Palermo invest their energies in creating vigorous torrents that lift these songs right off the ground. This is stuff that Top 40 radio stations are missing out on, and stuff that makes a perfect accelerant for audiences engines. Some bands make music that is pleasing to listen to, but Papa Roach's album does more than that by putting fuel in your tank. When musicians say that music is like food for them, audiences can relate to that because Metamorphosis is like sustenance for them. The music nourishes those parts in you that nothing else can reach, and lubricates those passions that have become rusted. Songs like Live This Down and Nights Of Love have a bite that arouses a fighting spirit, and tracks like Bad Enough and Lifeline reinforce faith in love and charity. The music is sprawled in whipping guitar conflagrations and vocals that can cut through the volcanic eruptions like a dagger. I didn't find a single misstep on Metamorphosis, every track will spark passion in your sensory system with equal gusto and leave you entirely satisfied. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics aim it's arrows for the jugular like in Live This Down when Shaddix's vocals char fast and furiously, How could you deceive me / I'm begging you to leave me Go to Hell / I'm better off without you / All is well / I'd rather be alone Cause you sold me out / You're never gonna live this down. You really don't want to be on the receiving end of some of these lyrics like in Hollywood Whore with a volley of sharp quips like Plastic smile to match your style, Awake by noon / Drunk by four, or White trash queen, American Dream. The lyrics are not all so nail-scratching and cleaver-digging as the album comes to the song Lifeline where a sliver of light peeks through the despair and anger, I put out my hand and asked for some help I've been looking for a lifeline / While it seems like a lifetime / I'm drowning in the pain / Breaking down again / Looking for a lifeline Is there anybody out there In a world so cold, it's hard to keep the faith. The bridge in Bad Enough also puts a shot of optimism into the album's hard rock bowers when Shaddix implores, I know you can change the future / I know we can make it happen. // 8

Overall Impression: Surprisingly, Papa Roach have not lost their nu-metal edge or their instincts for finding fertile ground to tap into arousing power rock tunage. After five albums, they are as hard and fiercely rabid as when they first started out. Metamorphosis is a testament to Papa Roach's affinity for heavy metal's meaty cuts and power rock's sawing shears. The production is big and the hooks are sharp, delivering an album that feeds hot-molten passions which would otherwise be rusted away. There is enough melodic substance to appeal to a global audience, and enough scorching guitar shreds to earn Papa Roach respect in the metal community. Co-produced by Jay Baumgardener (311, Evanescence, Incubus) and Papa Roach, and five tracks co-produced by James Michael (Motley Crue, SixxA.M.), the album's make-up sounds like Papa Roach have put everything they got into these songs, ramming at full-throttle and holding back nothing. // 9

More Papa Roach reviews rating latest review