The Paramour Sessions Review

papa roach: The Paramour Sessions
Release Date: Sep 12, 2006
Label: Geffen
Genres: Hard Rock, Alternative Metal
The band has taken a huge leap away from the sound that defined them and it could alienate many of its fans.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.1
 8.1
The Paramour Sessions Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 15, 2006

Sound: Papa Roach have taken one step further away from the rapcore style that made records like Infest distinctive and original. With the band's latest release The Paramour Sessions, a bit more rapping might have made it stand out more than it does. Unfortunately, the straightforward rock sound is overly basic at times and not as melodically interesting. While guitarist Jerry Horton adds licks here and there that do break up the monotony, The Paramour Sessions takes a formulaic approach to both the music and the lyrics, resulting in very few songs making a huge impression. The weakest aspect of the new album is the first single, ...to Be Loved. While there is nothing wrong with taking new paths in music, Papa Roach (vocalist Jacoby Shaddix, guitarist Horton, bassist Tobin Esperance, and drummer Dave Buckner) gets a little too close to sounding like a pop-punk band in this one. The verses begin with plenty of expletive-ridden passion like any rowdy rock tune, but the chorus suddenly explodes into a series of whoas that feel more pop than rock. ...to Be Loved sounds too much like a forced single and a contrived anthem in the attempt to be more accessible for audiences that have eaten up emo and pop rock. While much of The Paramour Sessions is plagued by repetitive and basic chord-driven rock, My Heart Is A Fist has a bit more of an interesting feel. The song starts off with what sounds like the intro from Janie's Got A Gun but then takes various musical turns throughout it's duration. There is more intricacy involved with this track, and even the chorus has more than just chords backing it up. Underneath the chorus' prominent and passionate vocals, a guitar riff effectively supports the melody. If the band would put the creativity that is heard in My Heart Is A Fist into every song on The Paramour Sessions, the CD would be a very worthwhile listen. Vocalist Jacoby Shaddix should be given credit for his strong vocals throughout the record. While many of the songs may seem uninspired, his vocal ability seems to have gotten stronger and help the weaker songs along. Unfortunately, vocals cannot save mediocre songwriting in the end. The majority of tracks feel very much the same and have the angry, woe-is-me theme that prevails in the songs gets tiresome in the end. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are the weakest aspect of The Paramour Sessions, primarily because the themes -- as well as the rhymes -- are just way too basic and cliche. When you know exactly what Shaddix is going to sing before he sings it, that is a sign that there is not much new that is coming to the table. One example is in Alive (N' Out Of Control), which features a series of lyrics that just get a bit predictable. Shaddix sings, Sick of the pain; I'm sick of the sorrow; Sick of today; I'm sick of tomorrow. You might expect to hear this from a band recording it's first record, but not one that's going on it's fourth album. The band was obviously inspired by some tough times, and any band that displays that honesty deserves to be given credit. Many of the songs deal with how to regain that self-esteem and power, but many times it doesn't quite work. In the song ...to Be Loved, the words are just too contrived to take seriously. Shaddix sings, I came to get down; To get some f--king respect; Taking it back to a hardcore level. The overblown lyrics just don't relay the tough attitude that the song probably meant to, particularly when the chorus of the song takes a pop-like turn with it's abundance of whoas. // 5

Overall Impression: With over a decade in the music industry, Papa Roach has written plenty of good songs that have expressed an individuality about the band that took them to a higher notoriety. The band does not necessarily need to bring back the rapcore element, but The Paramour Sessions needs more of the inventive hooks that were heard in songs like The Last Resort. The band has taken a huge leap away from the sound that defined them and it could alienate many of it's fans. While Shaddix's vocals are strong as ever, the songs' weaknesses don't allow the strengths to come to the forefront. Guitarist Jerry Horton has memorable guitar work on Alive (N' Out Of Control), but that creativity unfortunately does not show up as a saving grace enough of the time on The Paramour Sessions. // 6

The Paramour Sessions Reviewed by: Randy_Rhoads44, on september 15, 2006

Sound: The sound of the CD is exactly what I was hoping for and more! The music is in your face, throw your fist in the air and scream along with it. Jerry Horton's guitar work has grown leaps and bounds and he even throws a few solos in here and there like in "Alive". As expected Tobin and Dave do a great job of laying a solid base down for the songs. they even go as far as to use an orchestra on the song "Roses On My Grave". It almost seems as if the band has discovered Iron Maiden and classic metal. They are locking into a grove from the beginning of the song and don't let it go. Gone are the heavy palm muted 3 chord songs, instead the music is layered with little riffs all over, just layers of guitar. I just hope they can pull it off with 1 guitarist live! // 10

Lyrics: As with any Papa Roach CD Jacoby's lyrics are about anger, relationships and breaking up. Not much has changed with this CD, however on most of the songs he has gone back to the "rap/singing" he did on infest. Bassically this is a CD to throw on if you're having a bad day or feel like your relationship is going to crap and you will definatly relate to these songs! // 8

Overall Impression: All in all I would rate this as a tie with infest as their best album. I could not have asked for anything more on this album, they have shown the world exactly how a band should grow between CDs. The best songs on the CD are the 1st single "to be loved" and "The World Around You" and "Roses On My Grave" with an orchestra backing them, is something I would never expect from them, but it works somehow. if I were to lose this album I would definatly buy another one, hell, I might get a 2nd one to keep in my car anyway! // 10

The Paramour Sessions Reviewed by: guitarmaniac17, on october 27, 2006

Sound: Papa Roach has claimed that they are going to change their style with each new album. After the amazing album, Getting Away With Murder, Papa Roach strays too far away from their oldselves, leading to a major disappointment in their newest album, The Paramour Sessions. Instead of the distinct style that defined Papa Roach (riffs like the intro to "Do Or Die", and the awesome main riff of "Last Resort") they resorted to chord-driven riffs. The riffs all sound way too similar like some other song. There is no riff that stands out and makes you go, 'wow', the first time you hear it. They are just too simple and too familiar. For the style of music that they experimented with with this album, it's ok. Jacoby Shaddox's vocals are outstanding, although he strays away from his mild rapping and screaming. The lyrics are horrible and are all the same. The drums are good, and the bass is ok. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are horrible. Way, way too literal. Instead of poetry (what lyrics are supposed to be), Jacoby pretty much just says meaningless words. All the songs are about his depression, breakups, and other crap. Depressions lyrics have been done way too many times before. If not properly done, even though they are simple, they will sound horrible. He needs to expand on his writings, and use more skills such as imagery and figurative language. You know that the lyrics are bad when you play some of the songs for your friends and it embarrases you. His vocals and range are excellent, though. This category would have gotten a 9 from me if it wasn't for the mediocre lyric writting. // 5

Overall Impression: All in all, this falls horribly short. It also doesn't help that they had to come back from an awesome album. The only song that really stands out is the song "Time is Running Out", only becuase of Jacoby's wide vocal range. And now for the classic question: if this album were stolen/lost, I would not buy it again. Maybe I'd buy a second copy of Getting Away With Murder. // 6

The Paramour Sessions Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on march 08, 2007

Sound: Papa Roach said that their new CD would be like the rest, a different sound for the band than the last, and they were right. Coming a long way from rap rock, The Paramour Sessions has a lot more slow, ballady songs than previous CDs, but there are still some of the usual loud songs I've come to expect from P-Roach. Some people are complaining about how the "Woah-ohs" in, To Be Loved make it sound too poppy and they don't like it, but I think that makes the song sound awesome, and is a great way to start the CD. The songs flow neatly into one another, and there isn't even anything close to bad on this CD. A cool part of the CD is Roses on my Grave, which has an orchestra in it and ends the CD nicely. Jacoby does a great job on the vocals, utilizing screaming and singing like normal, and he is a perfect sound for the band. A great example is I Devise My Own Demise- a fun song to sing with a catchy chorus. Tobin still has more amazing riffs on bass, especially in My Heart Is a Fist, and Jerry has more cool sounding riffs on guitar, especially in The World Around You and Time is Running Out. He also has more solos than before on this CD. Another note is that people are complaining about how most of the songs are chord-based, while this is true there are still a lot of good rifs to break up the monotony. Finally, Dave Buckner proves again why he's my favorite drummer with lines like the World Around You verse, which makes the song so much fun to listen to. All in all, the CD sounds awesome, best songs being Time is Running Out, World Around You, and My Heart is a Fist, but every song on the CD is worth buying and listening to. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are a lot sappier than on previous CDs, but once you get over it it isn't a problem. Jacoby puts a lot of energy into each song, especially the My Heart is a Fist bridge/outtro. The singing goes a long way in making the songs sound amazing. The lyrics are pretty good too, especially I Devise My Own Demise, which is one of the catchiest songs on the album. Another note is the fact that Dave Buckner sings a lot more on this CD (at least I think so, I think he might sing a lot of the lower parts in the songs, like the Forever verse, but I'm not sure), and the contrast in his parts round out each song perfectly and add another dimension to each song. Overall, this is one of my favorite CDs to sing in the car or wherever, because every song sounds great and is fun to sing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definetly a new sound for P-Roach, and that's a good thing. They still have a unique sound and are fun to listen to. The best songs like I said before are The World Around You, Time Is Running Out (probably the most fun song to listen to I've ever heard), and My Heart Is A Fist. There isn't a problem with it, unless you hate slower, quieter songs and chords. Definetly a must get for anyone who likes P-Roach, and a good CD to check out if you've liked their music in the past (except people who like only Infest, they don't rap anymore). I hope I don't lose it or anything, because that's thirteen more bucks to replace it, but hey, it'll be worth it. // 10

The Paramour Sessions Reviewed by: blinnk16, on september 18, 2006

Sound: If you didn't like the rapping that made papa roach famous with "Infest" way back when, don't buy this CD. That set aside, this, in my opinion, is their best album yet. The first single "...To Be Loved" isn't the best song on the album, but it doesn't stray that far from that kind of style, there's no rapping on this record. Most of the chorus' in each song are strong and catchy. "Roses On My Grave", the finishing track is backed by an orchestra, and that sounds pretty crazy on a Papa Roach album. Their newer style is more inventive, but follows the trend they have been going in. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical Jacoby Shaddix lyrics. They're not that great. Songs about love and hate, etc. "Take A Look At The World Around You" isn't orginal, but it is as good as papa roach's lyrics will get, I believe. Jacoby made amazing progress with his voice! He doesn't sound as constipated as he did on a few tracks on lovehate and murder. The lyrics aren't impressive, but with the music, and jacoby's voice, quite awesome! // 7

Overall Impression: I think they're going in the right direction, as people who liked the nu-metal rap stuff won't agree. "My Heart Is A Fist" in my opinion is the one that makes the best impression on first listens, so perhaps you guys can check that out to see if you're gonna like this album or not. Like I said, if you loved infest and thought lovehatetragedy and Getting Away With Murder sucked. This isn't the album for you. However, if you liked the trend they started going in, this is the next step up. My thumbs up! // 9

The Paramour Sessions Reviewed by: bigredjj10, on october 04, 2006

Sound: This is one of the best sounding albums I have ever heard. It was put together perfectly, no flaws anywhere I could find. Dave Buckners drumning was strong. On many of the softer songs, it kept them energetic, yet still kept them powerful, and also made harder ones harder with the pounding rythms. Tobin's bass line in all the songs was awesome, very deep, and powerful, giving songs power. There was two guitars on this album, and they meshed together like magic. Jacoby's vocals I would give 100%, just stunning, and the backing vocals from Jerry, Tobin and Dave just gave these songs power and emotion. The album I found a lot like other rock bands, yet still original and unique in it's own way, as in it is Papa Roach. This album is the softest album they have produced, but the best. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics blew me away. Jacoby is a very good lyrical writer, they are his own, always powerful, and shows many sides to him. he just writes songs so beautifully. Jacobys voice is one of the best of today, not many can match his range, and his scream just gets me every time. // 10

Overall Impression: This is their best album yet, I usually just download albums, but I had to buy their latest instalment into their collection. I listen to this everyday before work. All P-Roach albums are good, but it is hard to compare them, because each sounds so different, (a strong thing about them). My favorite songs are Alive ('N Out of Control), I'll Devise My Own Demise, My Heart is a Fist, and Time is Running out. But, it's hard to say this because they all are so great. This is a hard review to write, because I can't find any flaws. Props to Jacoby, Jerry, tobin and Dave. // 10

The Paramour Sessions Reviewed by: papa-roach23, on february 19, 2007

Sound: This album is my favorite from Papa Roach. In this one they use a softer lighter sound. There are no songs with the old rap lyircs, like Last Resort. It is called The Paramour Sessions because it was recorded in the Paramour Massion in CLaifornia. This album has a new metal sound, with some classic Papa Roach. // 7

Lyrics: Jacoby Shaddix is awesome in both writing and singing the songs. The lyrics sound great with the music most of the time. The lyrics get straight to the point of the song. They don't drag just to add time. The lyrics really make you relate to the song. And they are really powerful. One of the most powerful lyrics was from the song Alive(N' out of control). This is the lyric, "Sick of the Pain I'm sick of the Sorrow Sick of today I'm sick of Tomorrow I'm addicted to the misery in my head I better stop before I end up dead." // 8

Overall Impression: It is the best Papa roach album, in my opinion. The song that impressed me were Roses on my Grave and Reckless. Roses On My Grave was impressive because it just from a soft song to a harder, louder one and still sounds awesome. Reckless was a song I really like because most times songs like this are pretty bad. Jusy a guy singing about how crazy he is and how he shows off but this one was different it was more I need to stop being stupid before I die. If it got lost/stolen I would buy a new one without thinking twice. // 8

The Paramour Sessions Reviewed by: sum1udunno, on march 27, 2007

Sound: Papa Roach's 4th major studio album. A lot of people have been complaining about how this album is just chord-driven rock. I don't know what they were listening to, but this is not a chord-driven rock album. There's tons of nice guitar work. You just have to find it. Jerry Horton and Tobin Esperance's guitar and bass work is peerless and as good as always but no riffs like the Last Resort. Also, Dave Buckner's drums ensure that you will never be bored listening. // 10

Lyrics: Jacoby Shaddix's voice is very strong, perhaps stronger than it has ever been. The lyrics however, are another story. Whenever a band progresses through their career, they lyrics are the one thing that should usually improve. This is not the case with this album. The lyrics are probably the weakest point of this album. The breakdown-there are some well written lines, and some lines that are just crap. Jacoby Shaddix sounds a bit like a conceited snob since most of the lyrics are about him. // 6

Overall Impression: When I first got this album, I wasn't too sure since there was a lot of bad reviews. Even with some poorly written lyrics, this album was worth the purchase and anyone reading this shouldn't be judging the album just from the horrible single, to be loved and the lyrics. // 9

The Paramour Sessions Reviewed by: ThunderPX, on april 17, 2007

Sound: As with every Papa Roach album so far, it is certainly different. Whether this is good or bad is a bit of a mixed bag. Some songs definitely stand out as being unique, while others sound very similar after a while. One thing I noticed from the first time is that there is a definite 80s rock-type sound in a lot of the choruses on this album, almost Bon Jovi-like. That isn't to say it's bad- it's just a gigantic departure from the old Papa Roach style. Overall, the sound on the album is excellent, excluding the more boring songs, such as "The Fire." // 8

Lyrics: Unlike the musical sound, Papa Roach's lyrics haven't changed a bit since day one. If there is any change at all, I'd say it's gotten worse. While the songs are still about emotional problems, relationships, etc., this album seems to give off a bit of a treadmill air. There doesn't seem to be much of interest in the lyrics- it's nothing we haven't heard before, and even if it wasn't, it's still somewhat boring. However, there are faint traces that seem to deviate from this formulaic approach, such as the first verse of "No More Secrets," which seems to actually give a semi-positive look- sadly, the chorus destroys this, which is a bit of a shame. On the other hand, singer Jacoby Shaddix seems to give a lot more emotion here than on previous efforts, which kind of compensates for the bad lyrics, but not entirely. // 6

Overall Impression: Apart from the somewhat disappointing lyrics, this is definitely a good rock album with an old-school vibe. For a while, I've been looking for an album that somewhat fit the 'ideal rock band' criteria I had when I was young- this comes fairly close in terms of music, but the lyrics are undeniably bad. // 8

The Paramour Sessions Reviewed by: CaseeeyXD, on january 26, 2011

Sound: This CD is just amazing. I want to learn almost every song on this album. All these songs are absolutely great to listen to. However, I didn't know most of the songs on this album when I got it, but some of them don't exactly "fit my taste" in music. I've listened to all the tracks multiple times, but some of them just aren't my favorite. // 6

Lyrics: I love all the lyrics and continuously sing along to them whenever I listen to the tracks. They music goes great with the lyrics and sounds fantastic. I, personally, love the singer, Jacoby Shaddix, and think he has amazing talent. I love watching videos for songs by Papa Roach because Jacoby is the best part of all of them! // 10

Overall Impression: This wasn't particularly my FAVORITE album of all time, but it did definitely contain a few of my favorite songs. Those songs from this would definitely be "Forever", "Time Is Running Out", and "I Devise My Own Demise". The first WHOLE song I learned on guitar was "Forever" because I loved the whole thing when I heard it. The one thing that I didn't like about the album was the few songs that didn't attract me. But I would definitely recommend it to someone with a better taste for this kind of music. // 8

More Papa Roach reviews rating latest review