In Requiem Review

paradise lost: In Requiem
Release Date: Jun 5, 2007
Label: Century Media
Genres: Doom Metal, Goth Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal
But even though the songwriting is pretty strong throughout In Requiem, there's still some work ahead if Paradise Lost is ever to recover their long abdicated gothic metal crown from a bastion of younger followers.
 8.9
 9.7
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
In Requiem Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 13, 2007

Sound: Paradise lost, referred as one of the three bands in 'The Unholy Trinity'. With some very 'different' albums under their belt 'Host' among others. Their previous self titled seemed to show a rekindling of their once fine form displayed in the obvious classics (icon, gothic, draconian times). With this could 'In Requiem' bring a sound back to our ears which we have long craved for? No. Simple really, but that doesn't mean this sound isn't an amazing one to listen to anyways. The production as well as arrangements is amazing and the power of Nick Holmes' vocals add to the album really well. Songs such as In Requiem and Never For The Damned become instant classics in my ear with catchy choruses that seem to have you hooked for very long. Like all Paradise Lost albums this one seems to put Keyboards and effect to great use prompting a epic sound. However, like all albums, this one shares it's weaknesses, I myself feel the cover of Missing is terrible they do make it their own song but it doesn't sound like you want it to be their song if you know what I mean. The lead single to the album, 'The Enemy' boasts talent all throughout Greg Mackintosh does a fantastic job on guitar and the shrieking vocals work perfectly with the entire theme. Praise Lamented Shade, Unreachable, Prelude To Descent, Your Own Reality and bonus track Silent In Heart all stand out as outstanding performances from the entire band. These songs do somewhat overshadow the other songs featured in the album but not to the point that makes you want to skip it. Sedative God is another song that shines through the others making the sound of In Requiem a fantastic one and a joy to listen to. // 8

Lyrics: I've always been a fan of the lyrics from the York based band, and Nick Holmes has never failed to impress with his vocal range, take his roar in Gothic to his calmed down doomish voice which could remind someone of Metallica frontman James Hetfield. Lyrics are awesome and seem to speak out in many ways and compliments the music with its sheer darkness. As he sings 'Can't You See, Tears Won't Wash This Away.' It seems to show the strength of his voice. The vocal performance of Never For The Damned seems to remind of things that have passed (Draconian Times, Icon). By no means is this voice flawless but remains to be one of the strongest in modern metal. There isn't much more to say that can't be or hasn't already been said about the vocal aspect of Paradise Lost shot so I'll step back and give an amazing 8. // 8

Overall Impression: It is relatively difficult to compare this album to others as to me it isn't a mere shadow of them it is in the equal of genius but there is still the key differences which makes it a newer sound for Paradise Lost and a welcome one at that. If they can successfully build on the sound as a tier for the future success is guaranteed. Released through Century Media records it was released to a very good reception apart from some diehards who would question my views on the album. The album also received success and achieved a number two in the charts (in Greece, but never mind). As a band that have always focused on what has mattered to them and created the music they wanted to create they seem to have created a fantastic album. With the Yorkshire boys with approaching twenty years (or more) under their belt it looks like for the rest of their career (however short or long it may be) they have found an album which promotes everything it should. A fantastic album. // 8

More Paradise Lost reviews rating latest review