Brand New Eyes Review

paramore: Brand New Eyes
Released: Sep 29, 2009
Genre: Alternative Rock, Pop Punk, Emo
Label: Fueled by Ramen
"Brand New Eyes" is the third studio album by alternative rock band Paramore, and is possibly their best work to date.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 8.6
 8.6
 8.5
Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: Norphin, on october 28, 2009

Sound: "Brand New Eyes" is Paramore's third album and is possibly their best work to date. The whole album is filled with great songs, in their signature "Paramore" style, but they show that they are able to depart from that style and do it well. They open with "Careful" a song that's done very much like a staple Paramore song, which I believe is a good thing, because it keeps regular Paramore fans roped in to the rest of the album. This is followed by their single "Ignorance", which was released some months ago. This song seems a more "punk-esque" driven song, starting with a powering riff and a belted out chorus. After you have "Playing God" which is a somewhat softer and slower song. Their songs are similar enough to their old ones that they can be recognized easily, but it's the song "Misguided Ghosts" that is the surprise here. It breaks away from their style and instead uses, two very simple acoustic guitars with singer Hayley Williams over it. Very soft and very much lyrically-driven. The guitar work on this album is not too complicated, considering their style of music, but this is by no means a bad thing. The guitar is actually rather varied in the album, ranging from acoustic chords in "The Only Exception" to note-based riffs in "Playing God" to electric chords in "Where the Lines Overlap" The only fault I can see with this album is that the song structures remain similar, if not the same throughout the entire album. This is not too troubling though, and the variety of songs more than makes up for it. Paramore is a relatively young band, with their debut album in 2005, but with their work on this album, it seems they've been at it for much longer. If you've listened to their past albums, it's very heartening to hear the band developing as musicians and the songs on the album are just downright great. // 9

Lyrics: This is probably the strongest part of the album. Singer Hayley Williams shows her amazing control of voice and range of music she can do. She shows she can still belt out full shouted vocals on the track "Ignorance" and can sing with great control and care with songs like "Misguided Ghosts" and "The Only Exception". Her vocal skills have been praised by several reviewers and I can only do the something. There is no doubt that her singing is nothing short of amazing. The lyrics in this song are also very good, and here, you can see more development in the band. Their lyrics have lost some of their naivety from their past albums, but make up for it with even better lyrics. Lyrics ranging from "Where the Lines Overlap" a "happy" song by any accounts, to songs like the very wonderful "Misguided Ghosts". // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is their best work. The development of the band can be seen and the culmination of it is astounding. This band made it to my favorites the first time I listened to them, and this album only keeps them there. My favorite songs are "Brick by Boring Brick", "Turn It Off" and "Where the Lines Overlap". This album is a definite must have for fans of the band, and anyone who likes the "pop-punk-rock" sort of music should give this band a shot as well. // 10

Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: TJ1991, on october 28, 2009

Sound: Having achieved huge commercial success with their sophomore album, 2007's Riot!, Paramore were under a lot of pressure (no pun intended), to deliver their strongest album yet. As a result of their intensive touring throughout 2007 and 2008, which also saw the release of live album The Final Riot!, emotions were running high amongst the members of the band, to the point where they almost called it a day. However, they pulled through, and the resulting album, Brand New Eyes, which chronicles the developing relationships of the band members, is possibly their best effort to date. 01. Careful: straight from the same box as For A Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic, the opener of Riot!, this is a fast paced song which develops quickly, resulting in an intro, verse and chorus within the first 75 seconds. This is all well and good, but it does cause it to be a bit repetitive. Zac's drumming takes centre stage here, providing a good solid beat with fills everywhere. The guitar solo reminds me of Emergency, for reasons I can't work out. 7/10. Best lyric: The truth never set me free, so I'll do it myself. 02. Ignorance: this was the first single to be released from the album, and has already given Misery Business a run for its money as Paramore's most successful single. Due to excessive airplay, the song debuted at #14 on the UK Singles Chart and #1 on the UK Rock Chart, although it only peaked at #67 on the mainstream American chart, the Billboard Hot 100. Lyrically, Ignorance is one of Hayley Williams' most honest songs, and is basically a rant at her fellow band members and how she felt towards them at the time. Musically, the intro riff is instantly recognisable, but nothing special. As usual, Hayley's voice is the most important part of the song. 8/10. Best lyric: Ignorance is your new best friend. 03. Playing God: this song really gives an insight into how the band were feeling towards each other when they were writing this album. It follows the typical Paramore formula musically, but why fix something that isn't broken? The lyrics are rather cheesy in places, but the chorus is catchy enough to carry the song. Certainly not one of the more memorable songs on the album. 6/10. Best lyric: Next time you point the finger, I'll point you to the mirror. 04. Brick By Boring Brick: set to be released as the 2nd single from the album, this is not only the best song on the album, but possibly the best Paramore song to date. The lyrical content is the most original thing about this song, which is based on a fairytale theme, but unfortunately has more potential than Hayley manages to squeeze out of it. All in all, the acoustic version from MTV Unplugged is better than the album version, possibly because the chanting section sounds better with a live audience joining in. 10/10. Best lyric: Keep your feet on the ground when your head's in the clouds. 05. Turn It Off: again, musically this is nothing special, Josh's octave-based guitar riffs once again taking over. It's the emotion in Hayley's voice that carries this song forward, with the chorus containing possibly the best vocal melody on the album. There's also a nice rolling snare beat in the verse, creating an interesting feel for what is basically a pop song. 7/10. Best lyric: And in the freefall I will realise I'm better off when I hit the bottom. 06. The Only Exception: finally, a bit of musical variety. This starts out as a quiet, melodic ballad and stays that way throughout, which in itself shows how the band have matured, having previously had a tendency to slip back into full-on rock mode after 30 seconds. The lyrics delve into Hayley's childhood, and address how her family fell apart and the effect it has had on her. This is how We Are Broken would have sounded had they got it completely right first time. There is a lot of repetion, but considerably more effort has been put into the arrangement of this song than Paramore songs of the past, where they regularly fell into the trap of straight repeats of identical choruses taking over songs. 8/10. Best lyric: Up until now I had sworn to myself that I was content with loneliness. 07. Feeling Sorry: if ever there was a mood killer in an album, this is it. It just doesn't follow The Only Exception well at all. That said, it's not a bad song on its own. There is an obvious New Found Glory influence here, which doesn't come as much of a surprise. The lyrics are aimed at bassist Jeremy Davis, and how Hayley felt about him when tensions were at their highest. Truth be told, this could have come straight off the band's first album, All We Know Is Falling, and doesn't really show any development from the music written by the spotty 16 year olds who wrote that album. 6/10. Best lyrics: I won't look back 'cause there's no use, it's time to move forward. 08. Looking Up: yet again, typical Paramore. However, this marks a turning point in the album, with positivity finally shining through over the negative vibes the album gives off to this point. The lyrics focus on how the band actually love being together, and describe their feelings towards the lifestyle of touring musicians. 7/10. Best lyric: I can't believe we almost hung it up, we're just getting started. 09. Where The Lines Overlap: this song sounds like it was written in 5 minutes. It's just a repetitive pop song from the same box as Miracle, and is nothing but filler. The lyrics build on Looking Up, but overall this track just seems unnecessary. The whole band joining in with the singing is a nice touch, however, and shows the unity they've regained after coming so close to collapse. 5/10. Best lyric: Now I've got a feeling if I sang this loud enough you would sing it back to me. 10. Misguided Ghosts: it's just Hayley, Josh and Taylor for this song, which is completely acousic. Josh and Taylor's guitar work is excellent, both playing different parts which fit together to sound like one impossible part. Hayley demonstrates her versatility as a singer by bringing out the tender and fragile side of her voice, and it is this innocence which makes the song. 9/10. Best lyric: I am going away for a while, but I'll be back, don't try and follow. 11. All I Wanted: there is absolutely nothing worth focusing on in this song other than Hayley's voice. Yes, the music is good and develops from a quiet ballad to a dark rock song, but the vocals are absolutely monstrous. No Paramore song has ever showcased the sheer power of Hayley's voice better than this, and to think such a massive sound can come from such a small woman is absolutely astounding. The quiet, passionate intro boosts the effect of the chorus even more, with Hayley practically screaming down the microphone. It will be interesting to see whether or not she will be able to hit the top note of the song, at 2.44, live. 10/10. Best lyric: I could follow you to the beginning, just to relive the start. // 9

Lyrics: Typically for Paramore, the lyrics are nothing special. Simple but effective would be the term I'd use. As ever, though, the lyrics are only half the story, and any weaknesses are made up for by the power of Hayley's voice. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this is by far Paramore's best album. The production is crystal clear, which is important for an album which will no doubt be huge. The addition of Taylor as an official member seems to have made a real difference, as his maturity as a songwriter is by far greater than any of the other members'. All We Know Is Falling and Riot! both seemed a bit samey, and lacked the variety between songs to make up a truly great album. brand new eyes, however, hits the nail on the head, and I for one will be surprised if Paramore ever come up with a better album. // 9

Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: LittleQueefGirl, on october 28, 2009

Sound: Paramore's third album has finally come and the first thing you hear is "Careful", the beginning similar to "Misery Business" but every track on Brand New Eyes is different then the next. Each melody more infectious every time you hear it. "Looking Up" reminded me of something Fall Out Boy would write and "Feeling Sorry" had a Jimmy Eat World feel to it. The song structure is simple, but not a bad simple. Every song is one that you'd want to scream at the top of your lungs. Hayley's voice has gotten a lot strong and on a few tracks like "Brick By Boring Brick", "Where The Lines Overlap", and "Playing God" The guys of Paramore lend their vocals to the song. // 7

Lyrics: In "Ignorance" Hayley writes about her experience during the time when the other band members ignored her, written with witty lyrics like "well if you're gonna judge me then sentence me to another life." The song "Misguided Ghosts" was one of my favorite songs off the album. It starts with sweet acoustic guitar riffs and Hayley's voice comes in so beautifully. The chorus sings, "I'm just one of those ghosts, traveling endlessly. Don't need no road, in fact they follow me..." My favorite lyrics though come from "Playing God" where Hayley sings, "Next time you point a finger I'll bend it back and point you to the mirror." Hayley's voice has really become top notch. She must have gotten voice lessons because even through all the constant touring her voice has become stronger. Compared to the last two albums her voice is bigger and clearer than ever. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to All We Know Is Falling, Paramore has matured as a band itself. Each band member went through their own problems, but the band stuck together and created their most amazing album yet, Brand new Eyes. I find that this album was more alternative/pop than pop punk/emo compared to the last two albums. I consider it "smart pop" with intelligent lyrics and melodies that get stuck in your head, swaying away from the usual lovey dovey songs that was heard more on All We Know Is Falling and Riot! "Misguided Ghosts" is one of my favorites because I can picture myself driving on a road alone listening to this feeling connected to everyone in the world. "All I Wanted" Is my favorite album off the CD. It's catchy, beautiful, and Hayley's voice is so stunning. I would definitely buy this CD again if it was stolen. On the international version "Decode" from the Twilight Soundtrack is added as the last track to Brand New Eyes. // 8

Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 28, 2009

Sound: Since 2007's "Riot!," Paramore has exploded onto the music scene. With singles "Misery Business," "Crushcrushcrush," and "That's What You Get," (not to mention the Twilight themed "Decode") the female fronted pop rock band has climbed to the top. Now, two years later and two years older, what's changed? Well, for one, the musicianship is much more impressive and at times very creative. The opening song, "Careful," rocks harder than anything the band has ever written. It almost carries a bit of a Saosin-esque vibe. "Brand New Eyes" also finds Paramore channeling some of one of their biggest influences in Jimmy Eat World. "Playing God" and "Turn It Off" especially have some JEW influence. The album also has some of the slowest songs Paramore has written to date. "Misguided Ghosts" is a song that may catch some fans off guard just because of how slow and completely different it is. It also features a magazine used as a percussion instrument. There are still the upbeat rockers that fans of "Riot!" will fall in love with ("Looking Up," "Brick By Boring Brick," lead single "Ignorance"). There's something on this record for old and new fans alike. // 8

Lyrics: Hayley Williams' (lead vocals) lyrics have never been the best. They've never been bad, but not great either. For this album, however, she has taken her lyrics to a completely different level. Like "Riot!," a lot of the songs still have a relational tone, but instead of being written about guys, heartbreak, and the like, "Brand New Eyes" talks more specifically about relating with people in general. "Brick By Boring Brick" paints a picture of a girl who "lives in a fairytale" but there's a "world she's left behind." "Ignorance," and "Playing God" talk about inner band struggles and "Looking Up" talks about the feelings they had after they had made it past those struggles. Vocally, this is hands down the best Paramore album. Hayley Williams has a wide vocal range that shines especially in "Turn It Off," "All I Wanted," and "Brick By Boring Brick." She also shows that she's not just a one trick pony. From the aggressive delivery on "Careful" and "Ignorance" to the toned down approach on "The Only Exception" and "Misguided Ghosts," she shows how much versatility she has as a vocalist. Ultimately, Hayley Williams is not the same 18 year old girl from "Riot!". She's grown up and matured and it shows in her lyrics and singing. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I would consider this Paramore's best album to date. The musical and lyrical maturity is very impressive especially for such a young band. Some standout tracks include "Careful," "Looking Up," and "Playing God." There really isn't much I don't like about this album. Even the weaker tracks ("The Only Exception," "Feeling Sorry") aren't bad at all. This album is an album that I have listened to many times and love it even more than I do on my first listens. This is a big step forward for this band. There's nowhere for them to go but up from here. // 9

Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: EVANescence1500, on october 28, 2009

Sound: As far as this latest release is concerned, Brand New Eyes does seem fitting as it's title, in terms of musical perception, lyrical execution, and overall interpretation. It does seem as though the recording process was approached with a set of brand new eyes with regard to artistic growth, diversity, and overall maturity as a cohesive unit, and above all, these seem to be the underlying elements which are most noticeable throughout the record. With regard to the music itself, Josh Farro's light and bright guitar tones resonate with their usual precision throughout the record, setting that familiar mood, while the vocals of Hailey Williams stay true to form, carrying that familiar softness, an amazing range, and the ability to transform into a powerhouse at any given time. While it is clear that nothing much has changed stylistically in terms of reinventing their musical identity or employing the use of some new techniques, one notable substitution on this record is the addition of acoustic guitars. While this is not an entirely foreign concept to the band, being that most of their musical catalog does translate well acoustically, it is nice to see acoustic tracks make it onto the final cut of the record itself, rather than being done electrically and transcribed acoustically later on, as was usually the case in the past. That being said, the implementation of acoustics on this record does add a nice layer to the record as a whole, and offers a pleasant unplugged feel to the work. Another thing to note with regard to the music is that it seems as though the band has definitely grown since Riot, what I mean by this is that even though the music itself keeps to the style that we have come to expect from Paramore, there seems to be a level of maturity on this record that was not as readily apparent on Riot. Perhaps this has to do with the fact that there don't seem to be as many radio friendly songs amongst the catalog, or the fact that this record does not seem as singles driven as Riot was, or perhaps it has to do with the range of topics on this record, moving beyond theusual topics of high school crushes and teenage angst, whatever the case may be, the maturity of the band as a whole is evident, cutting through the core of the music itself. As far as the tracks themselves are concerned, I found that the record started off strong, became a bit dull somewhere in the middle, and picked up once again towards the end. Perhaps it is simply a matter of personal opinion which might require a few more listens, but that was the first impression I got from this record. // 7

Lyrics: With regard to the lyrics, there is definitely a shift that has taken place on this record. Not only has the lyrical execution itself become further polished in terms of overall songwriting, but the topics discussed and the overall exploration of subject matter has undergone a change as well. Perhaps it is due to the "brand new eyes" in terms of interpreting the world from a new perspective, a shifting worldview, or simply the wisdom gained from the passage of time, whatever the case may be, the changes are apparent, and manifest themselves clearly throughout the record. A few lyrical passages that stand out include: "You say that I've been changing, that I'm not just simply aging, yeah how could that be logical? Just keep on cramming ideas down my throat" "If God's the game that your playing, well we must get more acquainted,cause it has to be so lonely to be the only one who's holy" and "Next time you point the finger, I'll point you to the mirror" from Playing God, as well as: "I scraped my knees while I was praying and found a demon in my safest haven. Seems like it's getting harder to believe in anything and just to get lost in all my selfish thoughts. I wanna know what It'd be like to find perfection in my pride, to see nothing in the light, or turn it off in all my spite, in all my spite, I'll turn it off" From Turn It Off. In lyrical excerpts such as those above, it seems as though the band has gone away from writing about first crushes and teen drama, and instead has taken their songwriting to a different level, delving deeper into the vast catacombs of the self and again, exploring a wider range of topics in the grand scheme of things. That being said, it seems as though the band has indeed matured, and that sense of maturity comes across well throughout the record. // 9

Overall Impression: As far as overall impressions of the record go, Brand New Eyes is a solid record overall. While it does seem to lose some steam towards the middle, it does regain it towards the end and finishes strong. This record is neither going to blow you away with jaw dropping technical skill, nor bore you to death with monotony, but what it will do is give you a dose of the Paramore that you have come to know, as well as offer you a few tidbits here and there along the way that you may not expect. Perhaps Brand New Eyes is a metaphor for a new perspective on life and a new way of looking at the world which we inhabit, perhaps it is a statement of coming into adulthood and viewing the world with a sensibility that only the passage of time will allow, or perhaps it is nothing more than a catchy title, either way, Brand New Eyes is a solid record. // 8

Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: melissa131, on october 28, 2009

Sound: The sound of paramores latest album Brand New Eyes is typical Paramore style with the addition of a few few more acoustic guitar, mellow songs such as The Only Exception. In my opinion it is not near as amazing as the first two albums but still quite good. The sound is basically the same with lots of electric guitar, drums and Hayley's voice, however, they are slightly different from Riot. There is somewhat less energy in the songs and they tend to have more meaning. The different side of Paramore is shown in some of the tracks. The acoustic guitar is used more than in Riot. there is more of a range. The unique sound off Paramore is still there and is still a great part of the album. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are more storylike and less random than Riot. They are still good and meaningful. The lyrics are generallg good, however, some of them don't really fit into the song. The lyrics really fit Hayley's voice and the tone of the music though. The lyrics are not the best but are still pretty good to listen to , though in some songs they can be hard to make out. Hayley is not a really great singer but her voice is catchy and it fits in with the songs really well. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great album by Paramore but nowhere near as good as the previous ones. Paramore is one of the pretty good artists in the industry and Josh Farro's guitar riffs are really good. some good songs in the album include Playing God-the verses are exceptional and the chorus is great with some good ideas Ignorance has a good feel to it and the musical part is nice, but Hayley sounds a little too low Brick by boring brick is my favourite and I like the guitar the parts where the male singers of the band join in. The lyrics and topic of the song are interesting. The album can still improve and there are parts of it which can be annoying, such as when the song tune are odd. I like more about it than I hate. If it were stolen, I would not buy it again because I am not one who likes to go out to buy album unless they are exceptionally good. The Paramore album is good, but it still could get better. // 8

Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: BlackApparatus, on october 28, 2009

Sound: Paramore definitely gave the fans what they like about them. They didn't change their sound at all; on the contrary, they took the sound they already had and worked with it, making it grow up and mature in a positive way. That delayed guitar Paramore's fans love is still present (what a better way to remind fans of it than "Careful"'s intro). Zac Farro's drumming remains pretty good, entertaining, complex and elaborate. Personally, it's one of the things I like the most about Paramore. Fans will definitely like how Paramore sounds in this new record: exactly like the Paramore they loved from Riot and All We Know Is Falling. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics aren't that much changed either. Topics like feelings, love and friendship are pretty much present throughout the whole album. Then again, the work Hayley Williams does on her lyrics is really good, and so is her work in her singing. She has definitely evolved throughout her career, however her voice remains the same: nice to the hearing and mellow an catchy. After all, she is mainly Paramore's icon, and whenever someone thinks about Paramore he/she thinks about Hayley Williams. However, I didn't quite like "Misguided Ghosts". It's just not Hayley. It's an acoustic song, and it's not strange at all to hear Paramore going acoustic, but this one's a bit different to all the other acoustic stuff Paramore has done. It has that something that makes you nod and say 'c'mon Hayley, get back to Ignorance and Misery Business and Decode'. That's my personal opinion though, I'm sure lots of you will differ in my opinion about that song. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, another great album by Paramore. Didn't let me down at all, and they have never done it. I've got almost everything they've released so far: The Summer Tic, All We Know is Falling, Riot, Live in the UK, Final Riot and Brand New Eyes. Paramore's distinctive sound remains the same, and it's something fans are really thankful for, I'm sure. I think it's highly recommendable if you enjoy Paramore's sound and similar sounding bands. Great job by these guys (and Hayley). // 9

Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 06, 2009

Sound: Being this my first review and having listened to this album 10 times or more all the way through I decided to write a review on it on this cold november morning. The sound on this album is compressed alot except but Hayley's vocals are well heard in every song and the 2 acoustic songs which I will talk about later on. I think in this album they have matured their sound. The songs on this album sound more laid back than their last album but still easy songs to learn a few power cords here and there but almost every song is full of energy and played with passion. Even a few good guitar solos in this album. The distortion on their guitars kinda reminds me of Marshall sound and it's kinda fuzzy yet not very deep distortion like metal is but their guitarists are definitely talented and show it on this album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are your typical love/hate relationship or grudges you have on people in this album and some repetitive songs. Hayley's range is amazing on this album the vibrato she gets on the song All I Wanted is crazy and how she holds that high note without going flat...but still the lyrics don't really paint any pictures in your mind less it's the song Playing God. It's obvious the singer had voice lessons and in the song The Only Exception which is an acoustic number her range goes from high to low. // 9

Overall Impression: I've only heard their album before this one and that one seemed very poppish. I think this album should have 3 singles from it. Ignorance is prolly the most stand out track on this album and the other 3 being Where the Lines Overlap which is a song I love since it's so upbeat and cool cords in it and fast and All I Wanted being the most heavy near the bridge and outro of the song. All I Wanted closes out the album with feedback making you wonder if their next album will mature even more and I hope with better songwriting because the music on this album is amazing not gonna lie. Only song that bores me is Brick By Boring Brick. The lyrics deal with shovels and fallin off a cliff and it's a verrrry repetitive song no wonder it will be a single. I'd never think of playing any Paramore songs because I usually like to play grunge to metal but what can I say they are fun and upbeat and kinda easy songs to play off this album with good upbeat music with easy chord progressions. If you're a girl and reading this I'm sure you will love this album if you like Paramore and to you guys who play their stuff that's cool too...can't be stuck playing metal and rock you gotta mix in some genres ya know :) All in all a good produced album with a lot of maturity instrumental wise I think. // 9

Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: Jffrz94, on december 25, 2009

Sound: Paramore's latest album "Brand New Eyes" is their 3rd studio album and is very much on par with previous albums. The album is filled with many good songs throughout the album, in their signature Paramore style. However, they do display certain qualities and skills which slightly depart from their style. They kick off the album with "Careful" which I believe to be one of the stronger songs on the album which draws in the listeners straight away at the start of the album. This is then followed up by their 1st single "Ignorance" which displays a more aggressive and "punky" attitude to Paramore and the sound of Paramore. But then this is followed by a more reflective and softer "Playing God" which shows they can differate from their usual Pop-punk style. Overall the songs are very rememerable and catchy much like previous Paramore albums, but they have introduced more alternatives from their traditional style, unlike previous albums. "Misguided Ghosts" is probably the most obvious change in style and texture for Paramore, using just two acoustic guitars and the vocal of Hayley Williams, giving the song a more "stripped-down" feel. They only real dissapointing factor of this album is the lack of range of textures and sounds, which suggests the band has a only a small range of new writing ideas. But, this is not necessarily a negative point because you will always know what are you going to get with Paramore; quality Pop-punk songs. It is evident that from listening their previous albums very closely that they have clearly developed as a band and musicians on this album. This may be due to their near split in 2008, which has taught them alot about themselves, eachother and maturity. Overall a very solid sound is produced from their latest album and features many great songs, even if they are of a similar style and structure of previous albums. I personally recommend "Careful" and "Where The Lines Overlap" as the higlights of the album. // 9

Lyrics: Once again it is proven that Hayley Williams is a very talented singer, but not only that, but a very talented songwriter aswell. Throughout, the album she shows off her wide range of topics and beliefs. For example she shows she "belt-out" songs like "Ignorance" but also has the control and emotion to pull off songs like "The Only Exception". As many previous reviewers have stated she is an amazing singer, and I can only agree with them. She has a certain attitude in her singing which grips you and makes you want to hear more. The lyrics are well thought out and touch on all sorts of themes. For example in "Feeling Sorry" Hayley Williams shows she is no "push over", but in songs like "All I Wanted" she has been very brave by telling the story of her and Josh Farro's relationship and how she felt. Overall a good range of moods and tones produced by the lyrics and Hayley Williams's voice throughout the album. // 9

Overall Impression: In my own opinion, "Brand New Eyes" is some of Paramore's best work to date, however if they were to produce more variations from their Pop-punk style I would believe the album to be much more solid and rounded. The developement of the band is very evident after listening to previous albums and it is pleasing to see them develop in such a way. My personal highlights of the album have to be "Careful", "Where The Lines Overlap" and "All I Wanted". If you are a Paramore fan you will love this album and I recommend you buy it, also if you are a fan of Pop-punk it is a good representation of the genre. // 8

Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: katprocrastine, on january 11, 2010

Sound: My first insight into this album was "Ignorance", which I heard on the radio while on holiday in the summer of 09. Instantly, I knew it was Paramore from William's distinct vocals and the ripping guitar riffs. Quite developed from their debut album "All We Know is Falling" and more interesting and thought-out song structures than "Riot!". We all heard about Paramore on the brink of breaking up (it later transpired Williams and Farro had broken up in 2007 and this had caused friction within the band) and it appears that the old attitude that desperation breeds creativity is true. The emotion and maturity in the sound of the album is all too clear and it is a musical innovation for Paramore; by far their best work yet. It moves between their drum-based tracks and heavy guitar and bass riffs like "Brick By Boring Brick" to slower more exposed tracks like "Misguided Ghosts" (which is by far the best thing on Brand New Eyes). It makes me anticipate the future and if they cotinue in this driven and innovative (although not overly-experimental) way then I believe they will continue to have success. // 8

Lyrics: With familiar elements of love and friendship and the struggle between people and relationship seems fresh and personal in songs like "The Only Exception" and "All I Wanted" that show fragile characters whereas "Brick By Boring Brick" is a storylined track about reality and growing up and "Feeling Sorry" harks back to a "All We Know Is Falling" sound. "Ignorance" and "Careful" are sardonic and bitter, 'in your face' whereas it mellows more with "Turn It Off" and "Playing God" have faith and doubt elements - an introverted look at the world around oneself. "Where the Lines Overlap" and "Looking Up" are personal storys and almost chants for the band that seem to be for, and would go down well with, die-hard fans. Williams as always demonstrates a wonderful range and vocal dynamic. Farro and Williams together work very well as a writing team yet again and it is difficult to tell which tracks include whose lyrics and music (seeing as they often both dabble in the composing and the lyricism). // 9

Overall Impression: We were all highly anticipating this album, especially after such a massive break-through as "Riot!" and Paramore delivered under a lot of pressure. The songs are contrasting and innovative without losing their signature sound. I would like to see more experimentation from Paramore on their next album as the gem "Misguided Ghosts" shows us they are capable of something different and I would have liked more of that on this album. I love it because it is consistently powerful and well exectued however one of the songs that I thought was difficult in parts was "All I Wanted". Hayley's powerful vocals break through in an emotional outpouring halfway through, although it reminds me a little of Avril Lavigne, I hate to say. Others like "Feeling Sorry", "The Only Exception" and "Looking Up" also are very disinteresting on first listen, although tended to grow on me. If it were lost or stolen I probably would buy it again although the bonus tracks are just acoustics and good ones at that, but not worth buying possibly. However, the "Ignorance" video that comes with it is interesting and as always, Paramore's "Beyond the Video"es makes me like them as a band even more. Check out: "Misguided Ghosts" (quiet and intense emotional acoustic), "Ignorance" (a catchy 'stick it to the man' battlemarch), "Turn It Off" (William's personal faith journey and some beautiful imagery) and "Playing God" (For Williams and Farro's harmonies). // 8

Brand New Eyes Reviewed by: Issue_26, on march 18, 2010

Sound: Brand New Eyes is Paramores most truthful album yet, after the band falling apart, this is how they rewired the band, Hayley says these lyrics are the most honest and meaningful yet. The sound of the album is great, it's sounds like them, but with a twist. Ignorance and looking up wouldn't sound like they would have been written in the same period of time, but they had. The bands sound was great, I love the new lyrics and guitar riffs and the bass lines too. Check out the album it was 9/10 for me so pretty good, I'd suggest to check it out! // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album express alot of feelings from sadness to happiness. thelyrics work really well with the music they work on the same level. Hayleys voice is great, as good as eve, especially in "the only exception" The Only exception. {Verse 1} When I was younger I saw my daddy cry And curse at the wind He broke his own heart And I watched As he tried to reassemble it And my momma swore that She would never let herself forget And that was the day that I promised I'd never sing of love If it does not exist But darlin' {Chorus} You are the only exception You are the only exception You are the only exception You are the only exception {Verse 2} Maybe I know, somewhere Deep in my soul That love never lasts And we've got to find other ways To make it alone Or keep a straight face And I've always lived like this Keeping a comfortable, distance And up until now I had sworn to myself that I'm content With loneliness Because none of it was ever worth the risk {Chorus} You are the only exception You are the only exception You are the only exception You are the only exception {Instrumental and Drums} {Bridge} I've got a tight grip on reality, but I can't Let go of what's in front of me here I know you're leaving in the morning, when you wake up Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream Ooh Ooh... {Chorus} You are the only exception You are the only exception You are the only exception You are the only exception [X2] And I'm on my way to believing Oh, and I'm on my way to believing // 9

Overall Impression: My overall I'm pression is it compares really well with the other albums prehaps better in the fact that it was written in such a bad time for the band and it was part of them getting back together. The most impressive songs on the album would have to be, the only exception, turn it off and looking up. I love the way the songs have a meaning like on onme song where it says " God knows the world doesn't need another band, but what a waste it would have been." // 9

More Paramore reviews rating latest review
+ Paramore 7.1 04/19/2013