Riot! Review

paramore: Riot!
Release Date: Jun 12, 2007
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Emo, Punk-Pop
After gaining hordes of enthusiastic fans worldwide with their debut All We Know Is Falling, Paramore is poised to breakthrough to new heights with their newest offering Riot!
 8.9
 8.8
Riot! Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 11, 2007

Sound: Paramore, co-headliners of this year's Warped Tour, have already had many people take notice, particularly considering the average age of the bandmates is about 19 years old. Their latest album Riot! is impressive for such a young group of kids, but if it weren't for the vocals of Hayley Williams, it might not stand out from a lot of the pop rock out there today. While the record has some unique moments here and there, it does rely very heavily on what Williams brings to the table. Many songs on the album start out with basic chords and repetitive strumming patterns, and it's usually Williams' creative vocal delivery that gives each one an identity. If you strip away the vocals from Misery Business, it probably wouldn't draw much attention, but Williams injects the right combination of emotion and vocal power to carry the entire melody of the track. That particular song has one of the best choruses on the entire records thanks to the way Williams' voice can easily hit a high note and then transition to a lower register. The track Let The Flames Begin starts out with a rather cool beat that strays from the usual format, and it shows the talent of drummer Zac Farro. That beginning beat doesn't last too long, but the band does still give the remainder of the song some nice touches. The chorus and the verse do have very different energies (the verse being a lot mellower and restrained in terms of the guitar), and that gives it a more memorable feel. Hallelujah is another standout song, with the band wisely giving the chorus an almost cherubic feel when Williams sings. It's probably the obvious choice for a Billboard single, primarily because it is more pop than rock. It still has a really beautiful melody in the chorus, which once again is completely due to Williams' vocals. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty heartfelt on the album, and there are probably quite a few people out there who will be able to relate to at least a few songs. On Miracle, Williams sings in a desperate attempt to win back a lover's affection. She sings, I've done for too long, living like I'm not alive; So I'm going to start over tonight. They are pretty straightforward lyrics, but they are still human emotions that should appeal to their fans. Crushcrushcrush has a format that features two different perspectives, which go back and forth dishing out lyrics. The back-and-forth banter is between a character that is consumed by apparently a crush and another who apparently is in denial. It's definitely the most original song in terms of lyrics, and musically the band does a good job of separating the vocal effects on the two personas. // 8

Overall Impression: While there are some unique moments with the musical arrangement here and there on Riot!, the songs usually rest on the shoulders of Williams. We Are Broken is one of the exceptions with it's piano-driven section (but again, Williams plays piano), most of the songs do focus on a few chords. Thankfully Williams is talented enough to still make some musical fun at the end of it all. The big moments usually come during the chorus, which almost across the board explode with an energy that isn't heard in the rest of the song. For those looking for something outside of the pop-rock genre, Paramore may be too heavy on the pop side of the equation. It's actually amusing that the band chose the word riot for the album considering they are such a pop-heavy band. In nay case, there quite a few melodic peaks throughout the course of the album and it's obvious given the band's headlining status that those melodies are connecting with audiences. // 7

Riot! Reviewed by: RHtonyflowCP, on june 09, 2007

Sound: One word: wow! The title Riot! really does carry it's meaning across when listening to this album. Paramore have definitely matured both lyrically and musically on this album and it shows through fast paced fun. The band's style has changed quite a bit from the slow meaningful friendship rock to the fast paced raunchy pop/rock. And if the album cover and title doesn't stand out enough, their new sound will. Hayley Williams voice has matured a lot as well and you will notice that there isn't that girly singer anymore from the start of the album, but a strong women carrying a message across. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have matured a lot and Hayley has definitely taken on writing a small story throughout the album. Sticking strongly to one topic the lyrics are brought across which make it more easier to understand compared to other band's lyrics which are normally metaphoric. On a scale, most of us have probably encountered things in our lives that resemble the lyrics of the album. The lyrics fit very well with the music which make the songs only more catchy and interesting, this gives the songs a more fun structure and makes experimenting space for the band to play around in which they do indeed. // 10

Overall Impression: If this album was stolen (God forbid) or lost (I don't think that will happen, I keep my CD collection in a safe lol) I would gladly buy it again. Every song on this album is brilliant, I admire the way the band have carried their sound constantly from the previous through to Riot but adding a little extra something called Amazingness! My favorite tracks are "For A Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic" and "Born For This" Hayley has definitely taken the marker to the next level with her voice and I have a smile every time I listen to a song, I'm sure will too. // 10

Riot! Reviewed by: SayAnything,,, on july 09, 2007

Sound: Paramores new ablum is definitely a great one. This is one of my favorite bands and this album just reminds me why I love them. If a man was singing it might be a diffrent story, as it might blend in with the other bands. But with Hayley Williams singing it stands out and allows the band to show off their potential and talent. Although the chords and strumming is pretty basic I personally think it works well with the dynamics of Hayley Williams singing. It is nice to see a band with a woman singing in the rock side of the industry. Metal bands do have the occasional female singer but seeing a female singer in a pop/rock band is very rare, and also very nice to see. And to some, inspirational. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics have been thought out carfully and possibly have a meaning behind some of them. Even if they don't they are still very impressive. The lyrics don't hold any meaning that might take a while to understand. The lyrics I think have defently got better since "All I Know Is Falling". Hayley Williams adds emotian to every word. I think that she has thought out how to make every word powerful, and it's worked. The music on its own would be lost without the lyrics which is a let down as I would of expected the music to have it's own 'personality' as the lyrics do. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I have to say this is an amazing album. I think the song "We Are Broken" would have to be my favorite song as it shows the bands softer side and talent. Unlike many bands they don't play the same type of songs (Slow, Fast etc.) all of the time. This song shows how much talent they have. A close second would have to be "Crushcrushcrush". It's a song that I can't stop listening too. "Misery Buissness" is a fantastic song. It has great lyrics, meoldy, chords and a drum line. It was a good choice to make as their first single off of the new album as this made me want to buy their new album. I was afaird I'd not like the album as much as their old one, but I liked it more. Although it wasn't as heavy as the last one, I think this one wasn't as rushed. I love that the songs are all different yet they manage to keep that element in them that is the same. I hate that I keep listing to it all the time because I think this would be an album that I would get sick of. Eventually I'd have to put it away for a while before I listen to it again. However, even if I did listen to it too much the impression of it on me would still persuade me to go to one of their gigs. If it were stolen or lost I'd definitely buy a new one straight away! // 10

Riot! Reviewed by: ChemyVamp, on september 13, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album is more mature than their debut All We Know Is Falling with some catchy riffs and solos, good drumming, good bass, the guitar could have been better but it's still ok and Hayley's vocals are simply amazing. During the making of this record Paramore did a contest called "The Last Song You Will Ever Sing" that was about sending a video of yourself singing to a paramore song and the winner recorded a song with them as extra vocals and the song was "Born For This". The sound of this album is pop-rock, not emo, neither punk it's pop-rock. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics off this album are mature and most of them are about love, but there are songs about the artists being dying ("Fences") rock & roll and little spies ("crushcrushcrush") giving your best ("Born For This") and other subjects the lyrics are great and you can actually relate to. The lyrics and the music fit together so good. And Hayley's singing skills are amazing, some will say "she sounds ust like Avril" but Avril singing skills are not that great or maybe she has never show it to us and if you want to hear the best lyrics and singing off the album just listen to "We Are Broken" (well to me that's the best song). // 10

Overall Impression: If I could compare it to other albums, well I don't know which one. The best songs are: "For a Pessimist I'm Pretty Optimstic" "crushcrushcrush" "We Are Broken" "Hallelujah" "Let The Flames Begin" and "When It Rains." What I love about this album is that it's one of those that you can hear it from start to end without skipping a song and I till now I'm not tired of listening to any song and what I hate it's not about the CD but the CD booklet that only have the lyrics to 4 songs ("Misery Business", "Let The Falmes Begin", "That's What You Get" and "For A Pessimist I'm Pretty Optimistic") but everything is alright. If it were stolen I'd buy it again. // 9

Riot! Reviewed by: Randomkid37, on june 30, 2008

Sound: I was impressed with the first track, For a Pessimist I'm Pretty Optimistic. What an entrance. Paramore seemed to have developed from high-school friendship pop in All We Know Is Falling. They've widened their range from catchy pop-rock (That's What You Get) to quiet, reflective ballads (We Are Broken). Overall, it's a fireworks display of brilliant music, unlike their previous album, which I found slightly cliched and monotonic. The guitars have improved, too. They've used legato, distortion and delay in a more creative way to create a brand new bunch of talented and well-presented teenage anthems. 01. For A Pessimist I'm Pretty Optimistic - sudden, splashy intro with short bursts of the brilliant Hayley Williams "baby-whine voice" in between moments of strumming, then the chorus, if not for Williams' voice, would have been boring and nothing special. 02. That's What You Get - nice drum and guitar intro, with a steady verse and catchy pop chorus. Catchy and nice melody (and rhythm) to it. 03. Hallelujah - one of my least favourite songs in the album, yet it's just brilliant. It's literally and showcase of what Hayley Williams can do. The final chorus is just a brilliant explosion of what a fairly small person can do with her lungs. 04. Misery Business - the mariachi intro, I think, is just a bit of party trickery to entertain. Nevertheless, it's quite catchy and addictive. This song is probably Paramore's most successful single so far. It's a perfect balance of everything: guitar, bass, vocals, drumming. It's just ultimately and devilishly exquisite. The solo is simple, but it really fits the mood of the song effectively. 05. When It Rains - one of my favourites. The vocals soothe you and the sweet, peaceful melody and awesome chorus are just basically good for a romantic evening. I've seen the video of Paramore singing this in Norwegian Wood and the crowd was just relaxed and soothed by it. Pretty much no bass involved and steady drumming. Great for jamming. 06. Let The Flames Begin - dramatic anthem. Williams' voice and the tone of the whole thing. The chorus is just explosive. Some people just cry from hearing. The riff in the bridge is great, too. And the final chorus just tops it all up. 07. Miracle - this, compared to the other songs, is just pop-rock nonsense. Even though the intro is quite good, it sounds like another song from their first album. I guess it just shows a bit about their past. 08. Crushcrushcrush - I love this song. The song broken down is utterly basic and nothing special. But if you put the vocals, guitars and drums, it's just a song you can sing along to. It's extremely catchy Hayley Williams' voice keeps a low profile on this one, but it's just awesome! 09. We Are Broken - it's one of those ballads that is perfect because of the voice that's singing it. The lyrics are awesome and it's another showcase of that good-ol' voice, I guess. David Bendeth helped compose this song and it uses a bit of gang vocals at the end. 10. Fences - I feel like everytime I hear this I feel like I'm inan Old West saloon somewhere. But the lyrics about the pressures of being a celebrity just kind of spoils it abit. Nevertheless, the catchy tune just saves it in the end. 11. Born For This - high school time! This is just one of those teenage anthems you can't help but love. It's got gang vocals and the lyrics match the song. A bit like "Let The Flames Begin" but more upbeat. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just brilliantly picked. The first two songs pretty much talk about heartbreak. There are a few that are top choices fo teenage anthems, and they vary in mood, which the guitars and drums just express perfectly. Misery Business is just being on top and giving everyone hell, and the mood, is again, matched well. Actually, I take that back. They're legendary at it. Then you have melancholic songs, which are just perfect. They balance the album's emotion well. Fences talks about the pressures of being a celebrity, and I think pop stars talk about it enough. The rest of the lyrics are footprints and birthmarks of what Paramore used to be and still are: a bunch of brilliant, musically talented group of kids. // 10

Overall Impression: It's definitely in my top three favourites. The other two being The Black Parade and A Beautiful Lie. They seem to have an epic aura and a story about them. My favourite song from this particular album is For a Pessimist I'm Pretty Optimistic. The last chorus could've been more powerful, though, like how they sing it live. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy it (even though it's been ripped onto my PC) just so I have one more amazing album in my CD collection. The selection of the songs is just awesome, though I wish they had Emergency on this. Overall, it's just perfect to me. There's barely a flaw in this song. // 10

Riot! Reviewed by: guitarlas19, on june 14, 2007

Sound: From listening to Paramore for 2 years I have noticed a big change from their first album, All We Know is Falling to their new album, Riot! This album has a different sound to it compared to the debut album. The guitar parts in each song are a little different than the song before. Paramore spent the past 7 months working on this project and I feel that they did a great job. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have a lot stronger of a message in this album compared to AWKIF. They seem to be even more personal which seems hard to imagine since Hayley Williams, their lead singer, has never had problems with making her lyrics personal. Her singing is a lot stronger and much more controlled in ths paticular album and it gives a good impression from the first moment you hear it. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said previosly it has a different feel than their debut album and I wouldn't mind listening to it a few times in a row. Personally, I think the lyrics in We Are Broken are the most powerful. The remake of their song Hallelujah can really turn heads with its more prominent guitar parts and small amounts of techno. The album, in short, is much better than their first, which is saying something. I would deffinetly buy it again if I were to lose it.(And that would really be a tragedy). // 9

Riot! Reviewed by: lespaul56, on june 26, 2007

Sound: Paramore's music really evolved between 'All We Know is Falling' and 'Riot!' This could have been because of the lack of being rushed or simply having more time, but either way, it kicks ass. Most of the album's songs are about how the main character fell in love with and trusted Person A, and then that person totally disregarded it and sort of just walked away. The main style of the record is very alternative, although Paramore is a little different because their lead singer is a girl. Along with that, you always feel like something is going on all the time when listening to the songs. All in all, it's pretty sweet and it's the only thing I've been listening to since it was released. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty simple yet at the same time powerful. Even with their simplicity, you can tell a lot of creativity came in behind it. They seem very direct and straight to the point, for example in the song 'crushcrushcrush' they say, "I got a lot to say to you, yeah I got a lot to say." The lyrics comply with the music perfectly and there aren't any moments where I find myself saying that the two don't really fit together. The lead singer, Hayley, I have to say has a lot of skills. She hits every note, even live, and adds a ton to the music. // 8

Overall Impression: When you listen to it, you might find it comparable to all the other alternative records on the market, but when you really pay attention, you find a ton that makes it stand out from everything else. The best part is that there aren't any songs that could qualify as bad. It's one of those continuous albums that you don't find yourself skipping songs on when you listen to it. Obviously there are going to be songs that you like more than others, but every one of them has something that gives it its own special touch. There is absolutely nothing I don't like about it. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't buy it again only because I imported it onto my itunes playlist. But if it so happened that the CD was gone and I lost the files on my computer, I'd be out the day it happened buying another copy, probably like 10 just in case the same thing ever happened again. // 10

Riot! Reviewed by: Liberation, on august 21, 2007

Sound: Regardless of what one may want to believe, at least one band comes along every couple years that simply makes you say "wow!" Nashville based band, Paramore, is a great example of that. Lead singer Hayley Williams is a talented vocalist, who puts on a great live show, however, this article isn't about their live show, so let's get down to the point. Riot! is Paramore's most recent, and second overall album. Released in June of 2007, the best known song from the album is Misery Business. The album is flooded with examples of Hayley Williams' impressive range, and singing techniques. There's a wide range of styles on Riot!, from the calm sound of We Are Broken, to the powerful, somewhat-angry sound of Misery Business, to the jazzy feel of Fences. All styles are done brilliantly, and as with All We Know Is Falling, Paramore once again proves that they are the "real deal". // 9

Lyrics: Paramore's lyrics on Riot! vary from cliche, to incredibly meaningful. On songs like "Born For This", "Decoy", and "Misery Business", the lyrics fit perfectly with the overall feeling of the song, and prove that modern music is much deeper than a simple puddle. On the other hand though, "Hallelujah" is filled with pure cheesiness. "Misery Business" is based on an experience from Hayley's school days, and her writing displays the level of emotion she felt at the time. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, at this point in the year, Riot! would get my nomination for "Album Of 2007". It's a consistent album that I only ever have to skip over one song while listening to (Hallelujah). If you're new to Paramore (Or just haven't heard Riot! yet), I recommend checking out such songs as "Misery Business", "For A Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic", "Crushcrushcrush" and "Born For This". If you're a fan of music, you will enjoy this album. The only real knock on it is that "Decoy" is only included on the Hot Topic version of the album (seriously, why have different versions). Riot! is worth every cent that I paid for it. // 8

Riot! Reviewed by: eBunny4, on february 06, 2008

Sound: Although they have country backgrounds, hailing from Frankin, Tennessee, the members of the young foursome Paramore would never betray this secret; their style can be described as something like "Avril-Lavigne-meets-Boys-Like-Girls." However, it is undeniable that their music has remained the same since the release of their debut, All We Know Is Falling. This album could be easily classified as rock, while their new set of tracks have an unmistakable pop aura around their edges. Like the hit single "Misery Business," the entire album comes out of the Paramore machine processed, touched up and radio-ready, while their older stuff had a more raw sound. These songs, nonetheless, are impossible not to sing along to. Driven by clean bubbly guitar and fronted by spunky vocalist Hayley Williams, they are closer to the dance-hall tracks played on the radio than the familiar rock ballads of their first release. Truth be told, it seems that although Riot! will gain Paramore many new fans of pop music, it may also lose them some of the more die-hard listeners to former "relatives" such as Flyleaf, Mindless Self Indulgence and Jimmy Eat World. // 7

Lyrics: It is immediately apparent that the lyrics are the high point of the album. Though the tunes themselves are far from epic, the sharp lines deliver a blow straight to the heart, reminding the listener of real-life experiences. For example, Misery Business delivers the venom of sweet revenge, chorusing with, "I never meant to brag, but I got him where I want him now, and if you could then you know you would, 'cause God, it just feels so good." Equally bitter is the verse of That's What You Get: "No Sir, well I don't want to be the blame, not anymore. It's your turn to take a seat; we're settling the final score." Shockingly mature for Williams' tender age are the words to the tragically uplifting We Are Broken. The refrain pleads, "What can we do to restore our innocence and all the promise we adored? Give us life again, 'cause we just want to be whole." // 9

Overall Impression: In summary, Riot!, although it shines brightly for its insightful lyrics, pales in comparison to the quartet's 2005 release. The highlights are as follows: the bouncy sugar-coated single Misery Business, the soulful We Are Broken, the religion-based Hallelujah, which pleads for faith. The biggest downfall of the album, in my opinion, is the guitar; while All We Know Is Falling is lifted by heavy, sure guitar, Riot! is simply supplemented by guitar licks here and there. Besides this, I would give Riot! a positive review, and would go to the trouble to get it again if I lost it. It is most comparable to a few of the other bands on the same label (Fueled By Ramen), such as Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco, Cute is What We Aim For and Cobra Starship. // 8

Riot! Reviewed by: Megan_26, on may 30, 2008

Sound: Riot! Is by far my favourite Paramore record. All We Know Is Falling only had a few songs I really liked compared to me liking ALL of Riot! 's songs. This CD was more Punk Rock, everyone stepped up their game. Hayley's vocals have improved a great deal, more powerful than before. Zac's drumming has become more complicated (in a good way). Jeremy's bass have improved with more licks, and Josh has upgraded his guitars and added more sound effects. Paramore are still improving their technique as you read this, I can't wait until their 3rd album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyric's are fantastic. Everyone can relate to them, loving someone, getting your heart broken, and how girls are complete bitches. The lyric's and music go hand in hand, I the songs wouldn't be the same if the lyrics were different- it was meant to be. Hayley Williams- one of the greatest female vocalists of all time, and she's only 19. Such power, raw emotion, and great control. No one else can sing like her! // 10

Overall Impression: To be honest I've never heard a band quite like Paramore, so it's hard to compare them to another band. There has been a lot of hype about Hayley being compaired to Avril Lavigne, and Amy Lee. Pardon my french but I think that's bullshit because they all sing different styles. All of the tracks are brilliant! The ones that stood out the most to me were "Hallelujah"- because of Hayley's amazing voice, "Misery Business"- because of Josh's spunky riffage and solo, "Let the Flames Begin"- because of Zac's coordination on his kick drum and fills, and last but not least "Fences"- because of Jeremey's bluesy/rock licks. I loved every aspect of this record, if it where stolen/lost I would definitely buy it again. Paramore are so young and full of talent, they have achieved so much at a young age and have nowhere to go but up! // 10

Riot! Reviewed by: meg127, on july 04, 2008

Sound: This album has been out for a year, but I've decided to review it anyway. Riot! is the bands second album. Each song is very emotional and energic making this a good album to help you wake up in the morning. The music gets an F in creativity, but an A in quality. Most, if not all, pop rock bands today sound the same. Pop rock songs generally involve simple, repetitive power chord progressions. Riot is no exception. The music is fun and catchy, but in no way orignal. If someone listened to an instumental verison of songs by Paramore, Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, and Boys Like Girls it would sound similar. // 8

Lyrics: Each song has a different emotion or problem attachted to it. The album's first single, Misery Business, is by far the most direct song on the CD. It tells the story of a girl that interfers with the band's lives and manipulates someone close to lead singer Hayley Williams. The lyrics are strong and it's safe to say every girl can relate to. All the lyrics on the CD are well thought out and match the music perfectly. What is driving the album is easily Hayley William's impressive voice. She has a big range and belts it out on each song despite her young age. The only down side is that her voice does sound a bit contrived at times, but that is easy to forgive. // 10

Overall Impression: Riot! is a big improvement to the band's solid debut album, All We Know is Falling. The music and lyrics are stronger this time around, showing how much the band has improved in only two years. The best songs are Crushcrushcrush and We Are Broken. Crushcrushcrush is a fun song with loads of energy and power that you can't help but dance to. We Are Broken on the other hand is much slower and, like a few other songs on the CD, features a piano. It's a depressing song. The vocals are the strongest part about the record, but the music is also great and really shows each members skill at their instrument. It isn't flawless, but Riot! is the best pop rock record around. Even though it isn't breaking any ground. Fans of the genre will love it. Others, not so much. // 9

Riot! Reviewed by: I am punk "BF", on january 26, 2009

Sound: Paramore was really working hard when they made this album. It has great guitars, nice drumming and of course awesome vocals like always. This album has great songs on it and some are often heard on the radio and even guitar hero. The music seems to have mellowed a little but it is in no way worse then the previous album, in fact it is better. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album were actually pretty clever. The vocals flow well with the songs and lyrics themselves. The song with the most clever lyrics was for sure the song entitled "misery business", one of the bands more popular song. " Miracle" was not as popular but it was a great song by paramore too. This album is worth getting for sure. // 8

Overall Impression: This album was definately better then their first album. It is totally worth buying, and it is a great band to get into. This album will always be in my music library and it should be in yours as well. If it was ever lost it must be replaced. This band is very promising and I cannot wait to hear their music in years to come. // 10

Riot! Reviewed by: yoda7337, on january 30, 2009

Sound: The sound was a lot better than "All We Know... " in my opinion. "All we Know... " was o.k., but RIOT! totally beats it to a pulp. The guitars are much better riffs, and it's more 'rockin' if you will. With songs like "For a Pessimist... " and "That's What You Get" not to mention "Crushcrushcrush", this album is a must. // 9

Lyrics: Hayley Williams is an awesome singer. She doesn't have too much of a girly voice, but then again not too much of a man's voice (like Bloodline Calligraphy). She has excellent lyrics that all have a message that almost anyone can relate too. She also gets Kudos because she is so amazingly hot. // 10

Overall Impression: When I heard "All We Know... " I thought Paramore was an o.k. band. Now I think they are great. I listen to RIOT! all the time on my iPod and it doesn't get old. Paramore is one of the best Christian Alternative Rock bands out there (though I don't think there is just one that's the ultimate best). If this album was lost, I would buy 2 just in cas something happened to the other one so I could listen to it right then and there. // 9

More Paramore reviews rating latest review
+ Paramore 7.1 04/19/2013