New Review

paul mccartney: New
Released: Oct 11, 2013
Genre: Rock, Classical Rock
Label: Virgin EMI, Hear Music
With "New," Paul McCartney gives one of the strongest studio efforts of his solo career.
 7.7
 7.9
 7.4
reviews (2) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
New Featured review by: UG Team, on october 31, 2013

Sound: Paul McCartney is one of the most instantly recognizable and influential figures in rock and roll. Throughout his five decade long career, McCartney assisted in writing some of the most beloved songs of the genre. He began performing music at the age of fifteen with one John Lennon as part of the band known as The Quarrymen, before going on to help form The Beatles in 1960. A decade of memorable music and a formidable list of now timeless records would soon follow, and his songwriting partnership with Lennon would go on to be one of the most celebrated in the 20th century. When The Beatles broke up in 1970, Paul McCartney went straight ahead and launched a new project called Wings the following year. Wings released seven studio albums during their decade long run, and spawned a number of memorable rock radio hits including "Live and Let Die," "Jet" and "Band on the Run." When Wings would eventually disband in '81, Paul McCartney would go on to heavily focus on his solo career. No matter which group he was part of, McCartney remained passionate about his craft, and it was evident through his music. McCartney has since been named "the most successful composer and recording artist of all time," selling over 100 million albums and 100 million singles, having 32 singles chart at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and having certified 60 gold discs. If Paul McCartney was not passionate about music, he could easily quit right here and now. But at age 71, he still has something to prove, more music to give to the world, new musical frontiers to embrace and try his hand at. With his recently released sixteenth studio album, "New," Paul McCartney delivers a harmony-infused collection of standout new compositions. First off, it is important to note the production quality which "New" glamorously boasts. It manages to keep things sounding like a new Paul McCartney album should in 2013, without losing any of the compositional magic or downplaying the actual musicianship. Songs such as the title track are about as nostalgic as you could get. Beatle-esque vocal melodies, a bass line you could sing along to and a formidable piano accompaniment. Unlike a number of other established groups who have been dubbed under the "classic rock" category, Paul McCartney doesn't implement the use of the piano just to have the piano in the song, but manage to make it one with the rest of the composition. // 8

Lyrics: For a man who has spent his entire career singing high pitched vocal melodies, Paul McCartney still has one hell of a range, and isn't afraid to use it. His singing style on such songs as the aforementioned title track are one of the main factors which tie together this new outing to his previous works, and is a quality that any established fan will be able to appreciate. Paul may not sound like a twenty year old anymore, and that's because he isn't, but he doesn't let that stop him and it doesn't take anything away from the rest of the music. // 8

Overall Impression: For his first collection of all original material since 2007, Paul McCartney gives a glorious return-to-form with his sixteenth studio album, "New." Paul manages to merge together the modern pop rock sound of mainstream with his nostalgic delivery and personal influences without having any stylistic clashes. The production is of impressive quality, and is modern enough to earn airplay on pop radio without taking away from the instantly recognizable sound you have with a new Paul McCartney record. Any established fan will be able to appreciate this new outing from the former Beatle, as well as any classic rock follower. // 8

- Lou Vickers (c) 2013

New Reviewed by: AwesomeOne3, on november 01, 2013

Sound: It wasn't that Beatles or Wings sound I was hoping for but it was still had decent quality. I knew he was just experimenting his sound.It still turned out to be a good album. What I didn't like about the album's quality is that it was electronic than rock. Similar to the late '60s Beatles sound. Which turned out great. Paul McCartney's voice, after 56 years of performing, is still in excellent shape. But not as strong as it was back then. The instruments used on the album were basically the same as any other Paul McCartney album. Guitar, bass, drums and keyboard. But there were newer instruments added to it like I heard an accordion, cowbell and one of those keyboards that make different musical sounds. The first track of the album is "Save Us." Which is kinda like an early Paul McCartney sound with a mix of an electric sound. Which might be the song that has the most Beatles sound in it along with track 6 "New." Which has a "Sgt. Pepper" sound kind of. The second track is "Alligator." Which has a kind of slow sound in the beginning then gets a little up beat in the mid lo the end. And it keeps switching back and forth to that sound. Which is kind of annoying but convincing. Track 3 is "On My Way to Work" which an odd song but catchy, in a way. The sing talks about, well, going on his way to to work. And meeting his love on the way. Track 4 is "Queenie Eye." One of my least favorite songs on the album. It's annoying, I don't understand what it's about, and it's more of a Yoko Ono sound. The fifth track is "Early Days." Which is one of my favorite tracks. It just has a acoustic guitar and a drum beat on it. It was the most original song I've heard on the album. Track 6 is the previously released single "New." It was very up-beat and like a said earlier it kind of has a "Sgt. Pepper" kind of sound. Which is good. But sometimes artists get sick of playing there old stuff and continue new stuff. Track 7 is absolutely my least favorite track on the album. This has more of a Hip-Hop sound than a pop rock sound. I couldn't believe he even made the song. Track 8 is "Everybody Out There." I think it had a pretty cool popish like sound with the beat and rhythm. It was kind of groovy too, but not really. Track 9 is "Hosanna". It's a nice mellow song, which is like a Beatles "Rubber Soul" era kind of song to me. It was all mellow and had original instruments in the song. Track 10 is "I Can Bet." It has an upbeat kind of sound with still a Paul McCartney style of sound. But with an electronic rhythm. Track 11 is "Looking at Her." It's kind of a upbeat more hip hop type song which I don't like about it. Track 12 is "Road." Which is another song with a hip-hop type sound for some parts then switches to an electronic sound. Which it was more electronic. Track 13 is "Turned Out" which doesn't have mush electronically instruments in it but it still kind of has an electronically type sound on some parts. Still a kind of a great song though. The final track, track 14, is "Get Me Out of Here" which is a song that kind of goes back to The Beatles fast acoustic sound in the mid and late '60s. Which is a good thing. Paul is still creating that Beatles sound with that track. A grew way to end off the album. // 7

Lyrics: Paul's lyrics were pretty average. The song "On My Way to Work" really explains the story of the song really well. The last time I heard a song explaining the story of what it's talking about is on the Sublime song "Date Rape." Sorry to be off topic. Back on topic, some lyrics really sounded not bad but I think Paul can do better. His lyrics did make sense and goes great with the songs personality. But I still think he can do better. But at least the lyrics managed to match the sound quality. He is still a good lyricist and matching the right sound to go with the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: This album I was mostly positive on. Although it's not his best work it was still a great album. Songs such as "New," "Hosanna," and "Get Me Out of Here" really impressed me due to that it sounded original to me. Though like 3 or 4 songs from the a bum sound like a Wings song rather than a Beatles or Paul McCartney song. It was good that he was trying something new, but he ban do better. The good thing was that he still in a way had that Beatles with a mix of the wings. Paul is still making music no matter what. And that's a good thing. // 8

More Paul Mccartney reviews rating latest review