Live To Win Review

Paul Stanley: Live To Win
Release Date: Oct 24, 2006
Label: New Door
Genres: Pop/Rock
Live To Win ranges from powerful and absolutely huge songs to soft power ballads.
 8.8
 7.7
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Live To Win Reviewed by: Nirvana6722, on august 20, 2008

Sound: Paul Stanley is accompanied by an impressive ensemble of 6 guitarists (including himself), 2 percussionists, 3 bassists, 2 keyboarders, and 2 piano players on his second solo album titled "Live To Win". Of course not all of these people were on tour with him, but contributed to the recording process of the record. "Live To Win" is an epic sounding record. Tracks like "Live To Win", "It's All About You", and "Bulletproof" definitely confirm this. "Live To Win" does not sound much like a KISS record. Although there is a familiar voice singing, it is almost a complete different sound. Paul Stanley really experiments with a more modern sound while still staying true to his '70s, '80s roots. "Live To Win" ranges from powerful and absolutely huge songs to soft power ballads. I could only describe it as epic. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album is really nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing really stands out on this album as a powerful lyric. Although all of them rhyme, it is just your typical pop song lyrics. Even though the album sounds nothing like a pop record. Paul Stanley has an enormous voice that can encapsulate so much emotion. When this voice is unleashed on epic songs such as "Where Angels Dare" and "Live To Win" and even some of the sappier power ballads, you can't but help to just sit there in awe of this great phenom. So, while the lyrics maybe mediocre, the sound of the music and Stanley's voice is what really hit me. // 6

Overall Impression: I only bought the album because I knew Paul Stanley was the lead singer of KISS and I thought "Hey, this couldn't be half bad." When I popped it into the radio is when it really got me. I knew every lyric to the CD by the next week. I think it is just my love for 80's hair metal that really brings me to like this tape so much because of all the the big voices that were featured during that time. The songs that stand out the most to me are the title track "Live To Win", "Bulletproof", "Everytime I see You Around", and "Second To None". Just because of the sheer power of these songs. The only thing I really don't like about this album is that Peter Criss, Gene Simmons, and Ace Frehley didn't play on it. There is really no other downfall of this album. If it was stolen or lost I would most definitely buy it again. So I strongly recommend getting this album. Overall, it's one of my better investments. // 9

Comments