Ten Review

artist: pearl jam date: 06/01/2011 category: compact discs
pearl jam: Ten
Released: Aug 27, 1991
Genre: Rock
Tones: Angry, Brash, Brooding, Rebellious, Visceral, Passionate, Intense, Somber
Styles: Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge
 Lyrics: 9.9
 9.8
 9.9
 9.6
Ten Reviewed by: Harmonius, on july 16, 2004

Sound: If anything, Pearl Jam has to be the definite sound of grunge during the 90's. If only Pearl Jam were slightly more known, then their musical influence would change forever - the fact that they stopped making video's and are the only grunge band to survive makes them a legend. The guitars of McCready and Stone Gossard are natural and very rythmetic. Everyone should agree with me when I say McCready's solo's are sweet and are one of a kind. The sound convey's so much emotion - in fact, it's hardly funny. Definitely the sound of grunge. // 10

Lyrics: I would crazy not to give this a 5. Eddie Vedder's lyrics are pure genius. It's not so very often you get to hear such heart felt lyrics as Pearl Jam. Eddie had a painful childhood and the way he sings so powerfully and emotionally to the sweet rhythms and solo's is unmistakable. For example, the track, Alive is about how his father wasn't his father at all. His real father, was apparently a family friend. Alive is about incest, anger and sadness. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't care what you are, who you are, what you do, you cannot deny that Ten is a great record. Easily the best Grunge album of the 90's. // 10

Ten Reviewed by: lxtkn1989, on july 13, 2005

Sound: The sound, is put simply indescribable, you have to listen to the disc in order for anything anyone will tell you about it to make sense. This disc is probably the best music to have come out of Seattle in the early '90s, I personally would rate this much higher than Nevermind, or any other grunge record. It's more melodic than the other grunge music from the time, and you know it's gotta be good when Pearl Jam is the sole surviving grunge band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. From the second Vedder starts to sing to the last Release Me on the album, you're hooked, this is one of the few albums I will listen to straight through. Vedder is an amazing singer, and wrote great lyrics, especially in songs like Jeremy and Alive that almost everyone has heard. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is probably one of the reasons the Seattle grunge movement became so popular. There is absolutely nothing I hate about this album, it's that good. I don't think there is a singular most impressive song because they're all so good. I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Ten Reviewed by: Moppstock, on march 23, 2004

Sound: This is easily one of the best Grunge/Rock albums of the early 90's, And of all time. The music really gets to you not only with the sounds but with Eddie Vedders vocal work in this album. // 10

Lyrics: Dear god, The lyrics in this album were chosen very well, I like how Alive, Jeremy and Oceans turned out and couldn't possibly think of a way to better there music in any way at all. // 10

Overall Impression: The bad thing about "Ten" and all of Pearl Jam's Newer Cd's would have to be that Ten topped all the other albums that they ever did. There will never ever be a better Pearl Jam album better or like Ten. // 8

Ten Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 05, 2003

Sound: This album is always labeled as grunge...but I think it's just your basic rock record. It sold 13 million copies...so they are doing something right. The production is very glossy, and very good. McCready's solos are soaring and Gossards riffs are ripping. The most beautiful song on this album is Release...you have to listen to it for yourself. // 10

Lyrics: Amazing lyrics. This album made Vedder a household name. His lyrics are deeply personal (Alive), angry (Why Go), and gentle (Oceans). His voice soars and roars all throughout the album. His voice was the original from which many newer bands have copied. // 10

Overall Impression: Not only did this album compare to other artists...it destroyed them. This album is a masterpiece. The greatest songs (all of them are amazing) are Black, Even Flow, Why Go, Porch, and Release. If this album was stolen (again!) I would go out and buy it THAT DAY! I have hundreds of album but this cd always has a spot in my CD player...I listen to it at least once a week. 12 years after being released it still has an impact on me. Amazing album from an even more amazing band. // 10

Ten Reviewed by: Layne_cantrell, on january 31, 2006

Sound: Many "hardcore" Pearl Jam fans (and I count my self as being pretty hardcore) often claim that they dislike Ten for being over-produced and often plump for No Code or Yield when asked their vote for best album. While these albums are fantastic, they do not represent that fantastic moment in time when the stars are aligned, the band are seperate parts of one whole and they create a masterpiece. Ten is such an album. The songs are untouchable, the lyrics touching and angry, Eddie Vedder's cathartic songwriting making them more than just another grunge band. I personally love the sound of Ten, great guitar playing, awesome solos, Eddie's trademark howls. Truly inspiring stuff. // 10

Lyrics: Anyone who truly listens to Ten or indeed any Pearl Jam album will know that they are a band, not just back-up for Eddie Vedder. However, it has to be said that Ten was Vedder's album. From start to finish it recounts the story of a troubled man. Such brutal honesty in the lyrics may strike some as self-obsessed but to my ears it sounds like a man trying to find a solution or answer to his problems by examining them through song. And besides, if a song with as dark subject content as Alive can still be an outrageously upbeat and life-affirming track with one of the greatest choruses over written then there is nothing wrong with a little angst. Vedder makes songs like the introspective Black, the nothing-short-of-beautiful Oceans and stunningly honest and touching Release uplifting as opposed to depressing due to the sheer beauty of the songs. Listen to the last chorus of release as Vedder finally bursts into "Release me, release me" after 4 minutes of building tension and you'll see what I mean. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, put simply, Ten is, along with Dirt by Alice in Chains, my favourite album in the world. I have yet to hear an album that spoke to me in such a way. It makes someone relate to it, even if they have not experienced the same things as Vedder. Anyone who has ever felt angry, trapped or lost will find solace in this album. It is truly one of the few albums ever to hit the big-time (selling more than Nirvana's Nevermind) that is a truly moving piece of art as opposed to a shameless corporate cash-cow. If I lost this I would buy it instantly. Even though it is carefully secured on my iPod, I don't think I could sleep soundly without it occupying its place in my CD collection. // 10

Ten Reviewed by: JMan2423, on march 30, 2006

Sound: One and only surviving member of the four founding fathers of grunge (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam), Pearl Jam is the defining sound of grunge. But there sound is not limited to a specific one. Pearl Jam move sonically from a rockin' Alive to a depressed, pondering Black then to an epic Release. This album reminds me of something The Who or Zeppelin would make because of the way it moves from one idea to the next (like telling a story). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the songs on this album tell appeal your emotions. Not suprising, since Eddie Vedder drew alot of his inspiration from his very rough personal life. On songs such as Alive, Jeremy, Garden, Black, and Release, the lyrics bring you in, and you feel the sweet emotion dripping from every word (especially from the last "Release Me" of "Release"). // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of the few albums I listen to all the way through. And while Pearl Jam has remained under the mainstream radar, this is still one of the top if not the top Pearl Jam albums, in terms of lyrics, and sound. Ten gets a Ten because it is one of the defining albums of the '90s. // 10

Ten Reviewed by: JLM, on september 01, 2006

Sound: Ten is no doubtfully a grunge album, and along with Nevermind and Dirt it defines the melodic yet violent facet of grunge. The production is amazing, it really sounds hard-rock thing. By the time Ten was made, Pearl Jam was passing through their best musical period, curiously, their first studio album. Stone Gossard came up with powerful, kick-ass riffs (Once, Even Flow, Alive, Jeremy, Porch), Mike McCready's solos are awesome, melodic, so expressive (Once, Even Flow, Alive, Why Go), Dave's drums are what I use to call Hard Rock beat, a very head banger rhythm (Once, Even Flow, Why Go, Porch, Deep), Jeff Ament's bass lines play in some songs the main role, by giving the tune (Alive, Jeremy, Oceans, Release) and finally, the best quality of the album, Eddie Vedder's fantastic vocal performance (Black, Jeremy, Oceans, Porch, Release). // 10

Lyrics: Eddie Vedder rises above anything and reveals his feelings through musical, harmonic poems. The subjects are so many from anger and revolt to love. Those themes are treated so carefully and harmoniously that we could read his lyrics as an epic poem. He was also able to mix the lyrics with the songs in a unique way that the pieces fit so well. And the voice! Better than ever, Vedder's voice in this album gives life to the lyrics. And when we hear songs like Release (which I think it's his best vocal performance ever), Jeremy (silver medal) and Black (bronze medal), they almost makes you cry. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said in the sound, this album is part of the Grunge movement. Before it was made, Stone Gossard, Mike McCready, Jeff Ament and Eddie Vedder (all of them from Pearl Jam), along with Matt Cameron (ex-Soundgarden, Pearl Jam drummer now) and Chris Cornell (ex-Soudgarden, Audioslave Vocalist now) made the album Temple Of The Dog (with one of the best vocal performance ever Say Hello To Heaven and Hunger Strike). I think Ten is a bit influenced by that album, but by the time it was made, Pearl Jam clearly had its sound. // 10

Ten Reviewed by: British Josh, on september 13, 2006

Sound: I want to start off by saying, many artists don't get their big break with their first album. There are only a few exceptions (Van Halen, Guns n' Roses) But this is also an exception. Pearl Jam really broke into the mainstream with this excellent album. The sounds of the best songs: Jeremy, Evenflow and Alive are awesome with Mike McCready and Stone Gossards guitar. // 10

Lyrics: The songwriting abilites of Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament really are amazing. If you listen to a song like Jeremy, you can really get the feel of Vedders vocal range. I mean, he really screams into that microphone. Jeremy is about a 16 year old boy who shot himself in front of his class. I think that the guitar and bass really ties in good with the lyrics of Vedder. // 10

Overall Impression: Obviously one of the best, if not, the best in the library of Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam was one of the big four in the rise of grunge music (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Nirvana being the others)and these guys are my favorite out of the four I love everything about this album and it is one of my favorites. if this album was to be stolen, I would definantly buy it again, because I love the guitar, bass and vocals. And drums. Just about every song is just rocking and it is an excellent album. I would recommend it to everybody just starting to listen to Pearl Jam. // 10

Ten Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 04, 2006

Sound: Overall, this album sounds more influcenced by the stuff on classic rock radio then their later albums did. Overall, it is probably their least experimental and therfor most straightforaward album. Eddie Vedder's vocal work is excellent, more so than on a few of their later albums. Mike McCready's guitar work is great as well and this is probably Jeff Amett's best bass work on any album. It contains their most popular songs, "Alive", "Even Flow", "Black" & "Jeremy". The only real dud is "Oceans", which is improved on for the "Even Flow" single. "Deep" isn't too great either. Other than that though, every track is fantastic and very well done. // 9

Lyrics: Eddie is known to be a very good writer, and that is shown quite a bit on this release. "Black" and "Even Flow" represent the best work on here, while "Release" probably shows the worst (even though it's a really good track). Eddie's best lyrics would come later, especially on "Vitalogy", but these are still an improvement over those of Kurt Cobain and Layne Staley (both of whom are good, don't get me wrong). The lyrics work very well with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say "Ten" is the best album Pearl Jam has ever released as well as possibly the best album released in the 90s. My personal favorite on here is "Jeremy" but other vastly impressive songs include the previously mentioned "Black", "Alive" and "Even Flow". There is nothing at all that I hate about this album. I like most of the songs though I don't find myself listening to "Oceans, "Deep" or "Release" very much. I like the music, the lyrics and the vocals. If it was stolen or lost I would buy another copy and mine's so worn out, I'm thinking of doing that soon. // 9

Ten Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 08, 2008

Sound: Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands. And I personally think Ten is their best album. Compared to Nevermind, Ten loses, but to any other rock album of the '90s, it wins. Pearl Jam grew from the break up of Mother Love Bone, and it was worth every bit of it. Eddie Vedder is an amazing vocalist/songwriter. Mike McCready, influenced by Jimi Hendrix (who is a f--king beast) and Stevie Ray Vaughan (another beast), is an amazing lead guitarist. Buy this album. Now. // 10

Lyrics: Eddie Vedder, influenced by Jim Morrison (a god), is an incredible songwriter and vocalist. His most powerful lyrics are on "Jeremy" and "Alive." He recently put out his first solo album, a soundtrack for Into the Wild, one of my favorite books, and he definitely but not literally met the man everyone once knew as Chris McCandless (a great man.) He (McCandless) died before I was born, just as Kurt Cobain (my main hero) died 13 days before I was born. Anyway, Mike found a way to make his guitar seem like the best work of the '90s. He's definitely not my favorite, but he rocks. The rest of the band rocks too. // 10

Overall Impression: Nirvana would crush Pearl Jam in a contest to see who wins Band of the '90s, but Pearl Jam still rocks more than any other band of the '90s. Best songs from the album: 1. Even Flow; 2. Alive; 3. Jeremy; 4.Black; 5. Once. I love Eddie Vedder's emotion in his songs, and I have all the Ten songs I need. This band rocks. // 10

Ten Reviewed by: acdclandon, on may 05, 2008

Sound: The sound on this album seems to have quite a bit of reverb, making it sound a lot more youthful than the the other albums. One of the great things about ten is the diversity of the music on the album. If you count Yellow Ledbetter in than you have a nice blues track, (and riff at the beginning) a lot of hard rock inspired music, (why go, even flow) and definitely some more classic rock inspired songs. (porch, alive) All this with a nice soft ending in release make it a brilliant combination. // 10

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics are quite clear. They're sometimes very abstract but overall their amazing. From Alive, the anthem-like song about Eddie's parental issues, to Jeremy the story of a child committing suicide. Even some of the not so good songs have awesome lyrics, especially porch. Not to mention the albums Mamasan trilogy going from Alive, to Once, about a man becoming a serial killer, and then Footsteps (on the back of the Jeremy single) looking back at his life in his prison cell. Just a great collection of written lyrics and songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally I think it is my all-time favorite grunge album. Yes that means I think it's better than Nevermind, or In Utero, or Temple of the Dog, or Dirt. Definitely the best Pearl Jam album without a doubt, they lost their touch by no code I think, the first three are all awesome but this one definitely tops the others. The great thing about ten is that ANY song is good of it. (besides the bonus tracks Wash and Dirty Frank) The other day I simply sat down and thought what's the worst song on Ten. I went back and listened to Garden, probably the worst song. I came to the conclusion that the worst song was a great song. every song is at least a 8/10, with Release, Alive, Jeremy, Even Flow, and Oceans all being solid tens. I'd definitely buy it again if it were stolen or lost. I borrowed this from a friend originally, uploaded it to my computer and about 6 months bought the CD from him just to have it in hand. Great album. // 10

Ten Reviewed by: jenguind, on january 12, 2010

Sound: The first song I heard by Pearl Jam was Alive. I was told afterwards that it was one of their most famous songs and so I assumed that, like with most bands, they have some really good songs and the rest you listen to once just to say you've listened to the whole album, yet I was so in love with that song I bought the album anyways. My prediction was incredibly wrong. Ten is one of very few albums I can actually say I like all the songs. As a bassist come guitarist I have great appreciation for the band Mike Mcready, Stone Gossard and Jeff Amnet. I may be no drummer or singer, but I need not be to know that they are both amazing aswell. I can honestly say that the first six songs on this album are some of my favourite ever. The rest are also good but wouldn't make it to my list of 'All time classics'. Definately one of my favourite albums ever, if not my favourite album. // 10

Lyrics: Eddie Vedders lyrics are pure genius. I cannot say that I am a fan of lyrics making a song, in my opinion its all about the melody. So when I listen to music I don't take the lyrics into account; however on this album I find it hard not to. The singer is amazing anyway but then you listen to what he is singing about and it heightens the experience further. The songs often have deeper messages that face value such as Jeremy. Seemed a normal song until I found it was about a boy who shot himself infront of his class. After learning this the lyrics made so much more sence and where somehow more emotive than before. This is probably the album I've memorized the most lyrics to...other than Liquid Tension Experiment ;-) // 10

Overall Impression: Their first album and I probably have to argue their best. I find that I cannot find one person (excluding people I know listen to rap or R&B, but some of them aswell actually) who doesn't like every single song on this album. If harder rock isn't their thing they still like Jeremy and Black, if they're into harder stuff then they like Even Flow, Aliev and Once. Me? I just love the whole album. I commonly listen to it all the way through on my own or as background music with freinds. The best spend of 3 I think I have indeed ever spent. // 10

Ten Reviewed by: theriftbassist, on june 01, 2011

Sound: The album's sound is incredible. About half the songs are real rockers with great and catchy riffs, while others are slow, deep and very meaningful. The solos on "Alive" and "Porch" are amongst the best of the era. The vocals are very strong and powerful while the bass and drums also perform well. Every song intrigues the listener, not only with its complex structure but its clever licks and riffs as well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly very good. They describe things that are personal to the band (Abandonment in "Alive", Love in "Black", "Oceans", "Porch" and "Garden" and paternal issues in "Release") as well things which effect society (Homelessness in "Even Flow", Psychiatric Hospitals in "Why Go" and suicide in "Jeremy"). All the lyrics complement the music very well. The one criticism I would have is that in the Choruses of "Alive", "Why Go" and "Jeremy" the same line is sung over and over. However still fantastic lyrics! // 9

Overall Impression: This album is without a doubt Pearl Jam's strongest. Not only this but I would say that this is the best album of their era, better than "Appetite For Destruction", "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" and even "Nevermind". The songs for me which really stand out are "Even Flow", "Alive", "Jeremy" and "Porch". The album is very majestic. The songs are very powerful and will show you something you have never seen before, not even from Pearl Jam. I would not say that I dislike anything from the album, if I were to be very picky I would say that the mixing could be better, but it is still good enough. If my all of my CDs went missing, this would be the first one I would replace. I would also consider buying the 2009 re-issue becuase of the bonus tracks, however this is considerably more expensive (In Slovakia at least). To conclude I think that if you are new to Pearl Jam, this should be the first album of theirs that you buy and it is a must for any PJ fan. By far their best album... // 10

More Pearl Jam reviews rating latest review