All Or Nothing Review

Lyrics: 7.5
 8.1
 8.2
All Or Nothing Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 04, 2012

Sound: Ten. Twelve. This is album number ten for Pennywise and consists of twelve solid tracks, welcome to "All Or Nothing". The new album by Pennywise is the first album that has a new singer. Do not be fooled though, the band has kept their style and brought another solid album to the table. The sound of the album is fantastic. The title "All Or Nothing" is very fitting, because Pennywise decided to give it all. Their style has always been fast changing power chords with blasting drums. The agenda has been there for a very long time and Pennywise have perfected it time and time again. The drum work by Byron McMakin is fantastic. Every song seems blast-beated and grooved out as fast as possible and really dominates the headphones. Along with the drums are the piercing guitars of Fletcher. His riffs really mix well with Byron's sonic drumming. Everything is perfectly in sync and the recording quality is way more accepting of the music then previous. It is a well put together album that sounds great. Pennywise time after time have found the recipe for working the instruments out till each one sounds perfect. // 8

Lyrics: New vocalist Zoli Téglás took the role of vocals and fronting the band after old vocalist Jim Lindberg left the band. The pipes of new vocalist Téglás are twice what Lindberg had produced. He bellows and sings with great pitch and a dominating atmosphere. The vocals are reminiscent of other punk acts but I think the change adds a new instrument with more notes then before. Téglás really fits with the band and helped solidify the album. Old listeners will not be disappointed. // 8

Overall Impression: Pennywise stepped up to the plate and produced another solid album. It is rare to see punk bands still chugging on, but Fletcher makes sure the riffs allow that to happen. Even with a new vocalist and a solid four year gap between albums "All Or Nothing" is a definite step forward. Listeners who want to constantly nod their head back and forth to up paced songs need to have this album, or listen to the stream; listen to the album. Not once did I get bored listening to the album, and it reminds me of the first days I listened to punk. Solid album. // 8

- Sean Michael Gonzalez (c) 2012

All Or Nothing Reviewed by: Nick Curleo, on may 04, 2012

Sound: Despite the departure of Jim Lindberg, this album is classic Pennywise. New singer/frontman Zoli Teglas, though more refined in his vocal performance than his predecessor, manages to capture the angst and passion that has made Pennywise such a staple in the punk rock genre. Musically speaking, the guitars are fast and the drums are faster. There isn't a whole lot here as far as innovation goes; Power chords, palm muting, and the occasional solo for the guitar. Simple yet strong bass lines, as well as plenty of snare, carry the rhythm. Also notable is the presence of the chorus vocals and backup 'whoas' on songs like "Revolution" and "Stand Strong", something that may be cliche, but coming from Pennywise is just full of nostalgic goodness. // 9

Lyrics: With song titles like "Let Us Hear Your Voice", "Revolution", and "X Generation" you get exactly what you would expect lyrically from Pennywise. Revolution, rebellion, the need for change: essentially synonyms, and all themes that permeate this album. The lyrics fit the music, with the first words you hear on the album being "What's the ****ing problem / With the world today?" There isn't a single surprise here, and if you're a fan of Pennywise then chances are you won't have any problem with that. I found I was able to sing along to almost every song here, but then realized that I had never heard them before. Putting it lightly, the choice of words here is predictable. Even the structure of the lyrics is the same as their previous albums, and made me wonder if I heard correctly about them having a new singer. Don't get me wrong, Zoli's voice is definitely different from Jim's, but everything else about the album sounds like it could come from almost anywhere in their timeline. // 7

Overall Impression: Though probably not my favorite of their releases, I very much enjoyed this album. None of the songs here can reach the status of "Bro Hymn", "**** Authority", or "Alien", but as a whole, this is a very consistent album. Where their last record, "Reason To Believe", sounded tired, "All Or Nothing" has a sort of renewed energy to it that was dearly missed. Notable songs are definitely the title song, and "Let Us Hear Your Voice". Both are just catchy enough to get stuck in your head - flirting with pop, but decidedly punk. I heard this album streamed over Zune, and I intend to buy it as soon as it's released. Though there are things about the album that are undoubtedly less than stellar, such as the predictable lyrics, there's just something about their... Let's call it their "aura", that makes listening to their music enjoyable. When it comes to Pennywise, it's hard to go wrong. "All Or Nothing" is no exception. // 8

More Pennywise reviews rating latest review
+ Yesterdays 7.3 07/16/2014