Sound: 'Unknown Road' is Pennywise's 1993 follow up to their debut self titled album - and what a phenomenal album it is! The raw speed and aggression of the debut is still here but with added diversity and depth. The sound quality is top notch, the only problem is that the volume won't satisfy headphone users. This is the only problem though and the sheer quality of the material makes up for it. // 8
Lyrics: As with the debut album, the lyrics are mainly written by bassist Jason Thirsk - and they are awesome all the way through this album. They are very deep yet not complicated and are thoroughly enjoyable. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music, nothing sounds out of place. Jim Lindberg is a brilliant vocalist, probably the best punk rock has ever produced, and his voice never falters on this album. // 10
Overall Impression: Overall, this is a near perfect slice of punk rock. This is a very good album that everyone needs to own. It is probably Pennywise's third or fourth best studio album. The tracks are:
01. Unknown Road - 10/10 a brilliant piano intro ushers in one of the most powerful songs Pennywise have written.
02. Homesick - 9/10 a top quality song that is unbelieveably fast.
03. Time To Burn - 8/10 a very original song with great use of chanting crowd samples.
04. It's Up To Me - 8/10 another solid song.
05. You Can Demand - 8/10 has a great chorus.
06. Nothing - 9/10 a brilliant song with a great riff.
07. Vices - 9/10 another great one.
08. City Is Burning - 10/10 one of the most diverse songs Pennywise have written.
09. Dying To Know - 10/10 best track on the album.
10. Tester - 9/10 I love this song.
11. Try To Conform - 9/10 yet another great track.
12. Give And Get - 8/10 very good punk anthem.
13. Clear Your Head - 9/10 an epic ending to this epic album.
The most impressive songs are 'Dying To Know', which has a fantastic intro solo and 'Unknown Road', which is probably one of the best punk rock songs I've ever heard. If it were stolen, I'd certainly replace it. The only problem with it is the volume, but a remastered version is being released soon so it should soon be the perfect album! // 10