Beyond The Horizon Review

people in planes: Beyond The Horizon
Released: Sep 9, 2008
Genre: Indie Rock
Label: Wind-Up Records
The multiple effects and experimental sections on Beyond The Horizon suggest that People In Planes might one day be a suitable successor to Radiohead.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.3
 8.5
Beyond The Horizon Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 09, 2008

Sound: People In Planes' latest album Beyond The Horizon has more than just memorable melodies going for it, particularly if you happen to be a musician who appreciates creative approaches (and the use of effects) in songwriting. While many of the 12 tracks consist of fairly traditional melodies in the chorus, it's what's going on underneath it all that gives People In Planes a bit of an edge. The guitars in themselves are worth the listen, with each song giving the instruments unique, often unusual sounds. While not every track hits a home run, you can be guaranteed at least one or two moments in each song that leave you impressed. Beyond The Horizon is actually a 2-disk set, with the traditional CD and a DVD of the entire album performed in full. The CD opens with Last Man Standing, which gives guitarist Peter Roberts a chance to tackle the vocals for the first few moments. Roberts has a grittier vocal style in comparison to frontman Gareth Jones' cleaner delivery, and it makes for a nice contrast. If you've heard Queens of the Stone Age's Lullabies To Paralyze, it has a similar feel in terms of the differing vocal styles. Last Man Standing features a nice chugging, bluesy guitar line, which is also a highlight. Get On The Flaw is an unorthodox number, with the first few seconds featuring a somber cello played in short, quick strokes Roberts. When you watch the track on the DVD it appears the band chose to sample that section on the synthesizer, but on the record there is a rich string tone to the intro. The entire track is filled with really fascinating choices guitar-wise, and there is even a section that sounds eerily like an actual siren - complements of some very cool guitar effects. The ballads don't quite live up to the faster tracks, and that may very well be because things are stripped down a bit more. Jones is consistently strong in his vocals, but things do get a bit repetitive in Pretty Buildings and Flesh and Blood. That isn't to say the band still doesn't know how to mix a brilliant guitar sound. The acoustics sound very rich, and Pretty Buildings does feature a big finish that closes that particular track up nicely. // 8

Lyrics: Beyond The Horizon is lyrically strong, and People In Planes do provide some interesting perspectives on life and relationships. The title track is particularly strong with lyrics such as, Beyond the horizons; There are no delusions; There are no musts or compulsories; It's everything it wants to be. Not every song is crystal clear in meaning, but the writing does show the band is thinking outside of the box and not content with delivering the same old rhyme schemes. // 9

Overall Impression: While the DVD is a nice touch, it's essentially the CD's track list performed live with no extras. Still, not every band supplies the live experience in a CD package, and it does give you a good feel of how exactly some of the sounds/effects are being created on Beyond The Horizon. The album itself shows that People In Planes do have the similar experimental vibe as Radiohead or Muse, although it never gets quite to the grandiose level as the previous bands. Beyond The Horizon does manage to strike an inspiring balance: It features 12 single-worthy songs, but with some wacky and musically intriguing adornments at the same time. The band is able to go from being Zeppelin-ish (Better Than Life) to dreamy (I Wish You'd Fall Apart), and it makes for a fascinating listen. // 8

Beyond The Horizon Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on september 09, 2008

Sound: People In Planes offer an alternative to pop punk clamors and dance rock grids. Their new CD, Beyond The Horizon has a copious amount of hard rock inflammable fuels producing abundant shares of voluminous crescendos buffered by softly winged melodic rock retreats. The band flexes it's melodic muscles with keyboard-moussed atmospherics fossilized by Ian Russell, and lunges rustling guitar riffs slabbed by Peter Roberts, all kettled in brusquely-ribbed rhythms managed by bassist Kris Blight and drummer John Maloney. The music portion is fabulously celled by these guys, but PIP's songs are more than just fine instrumentals. Lead singer, Garth Jones is equally fabulous with a vocal band that stretches out and constricts with perfect command over the breadth and movements of his registers. It's enough to totally base Jones' fame on his singing talent. The band's hard rock wax is wicked by Jones' vocal cuts which have a southern rock pitch in Last Man Standing, a rebellious punch in Vampire, a throaty clawing in Evil With You, and a soft melodic resonance through I Wish You'd Fall Apart. The hard rock decibels of Tonight The Sun Will Rise are backed by a series of long and short fuses that cause movements to advance and rescind systematically. The windmills of tingling effects and the faint drizzle of zapping cymbal strikes coursing through Evil With You' trace a '70s rock flint in the guitar burns, and the shimmery synth creases of I Wish You'd Fall Apart are cauterized by gently billowing rhythmic beats and soft flowering guitar cuts. The slow rises and elegant reclines of Know By Now weave soft curves and liquefied channels intercepted by meaningful bursts of energy. The melodic flow of the title track riles up and releases eloquently along the folds, and the battle worn acoustics of Flesh And Blood alternate between heavy and light showers beautifully. The ridges made by the guitar daggers along Mayday (M'aidez) shuffle the melodic deck between the moments of climax and those of lows. It's a fierce track with scenic atmospherics juxtaposed by rows of heavy guitar tones. It's the track that takes People In Planes to epic proportions and exciting new heights. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are sometimes self-reflective like in Pretty Buildings when Jones implores, I don't wanna feel this low again / I ain't gonna steel your flame again / I don't wanna feel Cos you know it hurts like Hell / So come out of the closet / And let's talk about it / You know it hurts like Hell / That's you in a nutshell. The song Flesh And Blood is an odd one with verses that recite a shopping list of items that are undesirable, I don't need a speed date / I don't want a rebate / I don't want the dinner and I don't want the dirty plate / I don't want your money / I don't want you hinting / I don't really want you to know what I am thinking. And sometimes the lyrics sound like riddles for the listener to figure out like in Get On The Flaw when Jones announces, We're gung-ho for info / We're kids to the cola / And we'll take over / Get on the flaw / What you waiting for / This life hold more / So get on the flaw. // 8

Overall Impression: Though many of the riddles in the lyrics went over my head, the album is excellent at orchestrating various degrees of choppy guitar riffs and spearing synths that are pierced by stringent beats. People In Planes create energetic rock with fierce riptides and cooling lows. The songs stimulate the senses, varying from stacked ripples to light showers. Watermarked by a handful of producers including Our Lady Peace's frontman Raine Maida, Eleven (Queens Of The Stone Age), Matt Squire (Panic At The Disco), and Dan Austin (Doves, Massive Attack), Beyond The Horizon is an album that you should be hearing more of in the coming days. It has the potential to give PIP their meteorite rise to stardom. // 9

Comments