Periphery Review

Lyrics: 9.3
 9.3
 9.6
Periphery Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2010

Sound: For fan's of melodic tech/death/prog/DJENT. The CD kills and it in my opinion could not be topped by any metal band on the scene right now. Going from crazy drop tuned riffs to ambient clean material with a little bit of electronics thrown in. All in all, the album blew my mind. (and was a cause for me to change pants) For fans of earlier Periphery with Casey Sabol (for he was there most popular vocalist), this album will not let you down. Bulb and the gang do not disappoint. The sound of the album is pretty good. It almost sounds as if it wasn't finished though in certain songs and parts. In my opinion the tone could have been a little more beefier but there is almost no room to complain. Either way it still sounds great. "Icarus Lives" which is probably the band's most popular track is still as sick, with the ultra groove in the beginning and "Totla Mad" which is one of my personal favorites sounds amazing as well. Other tracks don't disappoint either, as a whole the album rules. Track listing is: 01. Insomnia 02. The Walk 03. Letter Experiment 04. Jetpacks Was Yes 05. Light 06. All New Materials 07. Buttersnips 08. Icarus Lives 09. Totla Mad 10. Ow My Feelings 11. Zyglrox 12. Racecar (Icarus Lives has a nice surprise at the end) // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics really seem to paint a picture and are pretty unique. My favorite verse from the album is: "These Walls of time release, my eyes move like the drift the cries, they resonate within, the fabric tears before me break ties between the kin." The lyrics seem to hold it's place with the moods of the album (which tends to varies from the switches from heavy to clean). The singer has SKILL. In all honesty, Casey Sabol fit this band better and he was my favorite vocalist they had. Spencer has great range but I feel his screams and lows could do a lot better and a band as heavy as Periphery, a stronger voice just fits them better. Either way, I like it. // 8

Overall Impression: In comparison to the bands putting stuff out right now, this is lightyears ahead of them. The sound is almost futuristic, and is very different. If you are a fan of Meshuggah you'll love it. If you are a fan of Sky Eats Airplane you'll love it. It holds a striking similarity to Animals as Leaders (Tosin Abasi), Bulb did produce Tosin's self-titled so maybe that could be why. The technicality and musicianship is definitely impressive and grinds all other bands to shreds. With the exception of Nickelback and BuckCherry of course. ;D The most impressive songs on this album would have to be Zyglrox and Totla Mad. They are so technical and groovy. (I use groovy alot, but you have no idea until you hear this album). The whole album is impressive so let's just leave it at that. I don't hate anything about this album. If this album were stolen, I'd EASILY buy a new one. At the drop of a hat honestly. But, it's amazing. Go buy this album! In stores now! Buy the deluxe edition so you can get the instrumental version with it. Trust me you'll love it! P.S. If Spencer reads this, I love you man. You are a GREAT vocalist. // 9

Periphery Reviewed by: Jessica-Lyn, on february 10, 2011

Sound: When I first heard Periphery's debut album, at first I thought every song was going to sound almost the same. These days you can't buy a CD that has enough diversity in the music. First track that played was "Insomnia" and let me tell you, I was completely blown away! The intro keeps you guessing for a few seconds on what the song is going to be like but as soon as Misha's rhythmic chugging and hyper-speed single-notes kicked in, I was convinced this was going to be a good album. The sound was incredible, with all instruments in sync and on time with each other. Each song has it's own special style, they all differ from each other which makes listening more interesting. Compare "Insomnia" with "All New Materials" - Completely different tunings, different strum patterns, more clean vocals on one than the other but at the same time they are both perfect in their own way. You can also be excited over the guest appearances on the album such as Elliot Coleman (Sky Eats Airplane) & Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) on the track "Racecar" and Adam Getgood (Red Seas Fire)on "Totla Mad". The album is a good 72:52 minutes long, but you will not be dissapointed with the amazing combo of Programming, Guitar & Producing by Misha "Bulb" Mansoor & amazing lead vocals from Spencer Sotelo! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album overall are very unique and put the "Prog" in Progressive Metal. Don't be surprised when you are turned on by Spencer Sotelo screaming out how he's is neither "An angel nor a demon spawn" or when he sings his heart out about how we should "Say Goodbye To The Sky", this man has got more skills than your mom! It's hard to imagine how the lyrics & the music flow well together since Misha's off beat complex riffs are given at fast and slow paces from time to time, making it seem that singing with the music would be a challenge, but Spencer Sotelo shows pure genius on this album. Spencer Sotelo's screams and clean vocals are as perfect as perfect can get. His high pitched notes remind me of a young Ronnie James Dio if Ronnie was more aggresive! I mean this guy can switch from screams to clean vox without any errors in between. I have a good feeling that with the next album, Spencer will be ten times better vocally than he already is! // 10

Overall Impression: You might say to yourself that this album combines the musical stylings of Meshuggah and Cynic together with an ambitious and passionate singer and that the combo works out perfectly. Well, you would be ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! Overall this album beats out any Sumerian Records artist including Veil Of Maya, The Faceless, Stick To Your Guns and it also can kick any Prog Metal bands ass including Dream Theater. The most impressive songs on this album would have to be (in my own opinion) "Icarus Lives", "Letter Experiment", "The Walk" & "Racecar". As all of these tracks might seem the same with their Djent tones and off beat complex riffs/solo's, each of these tracks are special and different in their own way. Each song will make you want to stop your foot to the beat of these tracks in excitement & the vocals will make you want to scream out how much you really discovered your love for the band. Everything about this album is just pure genius. The only thing I would say that would need slight improvement would be Spencer's airy screams. They are almost perfect enough but as I said, I believe the next albums vocals and screams will be ten times better than they are now. If this album was stolen from me I think I would have to buy over ten copies, because it is that good enough to steal from someone. The instrumental passages at the end of each song that attempt to tie the whole album together so there aren't any gaps are put well together and overall Periphery's debut album is way too amazing to not put on your "To Buy" list. So go buy this record, kick out some "ragtime dandies" and live/breathe this record...you won't regret it! // 10

Periphery Reviewed by: iTOASTER, on june 08, 2012

Sound: I'm new to this whole style of music known as 'Djent', I heard about Periphery from a friend who saw them on tour with Dream Theater. Since I got the album its been on repeat, the raw power that comes from the music is mind blowing, the technical abilities of the musicians is unbelievable. // 10

Lyrics: Spencer Sotelo is the vocalist of Periphery, he has the voice of an angel and can still pull of screams better than most I've ever heard. He is describes on the album as having a "voice goes up like an angel... And down like a wounded ox..." The lyrics keep you drawn in if the instrumentals aren't good enough for you! // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion Periphery is one of the best albums I own at the minute, Its been a while since I've been able to have a CD on repeat. From start to finish every song keeps you wondering what will happen next. I love how technical and how precise the guitar playing is and how awesome the drums sound. The whole album is just amazing, I'm struggling to find anything wrong with it at the moment. // 10

More Periphery reviews rating latest review
+ Clear 7.8 02/18/2014