Thegodmachine Review

phinehas: Thegodmachine
Released: Jul 19, 2011
Genre: Metalcore
Label: Red Cord Records
This album is a never-ending hurricane of metalcore originality. It seems like the band has their own sound intertwined with influence throughout. I was supremely impressed with this album.
 9.4
 9.7
 9.1
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Thegodmachine Reviewed by: metallicaflavor, on july 25, 2011

Sound: I saw a post by Haste The Day on Facebook telling their fans to go check out Phinehas because they had just released their debut full-length album. I went to the band's (Phinehas) page and checked out the music they had uploaded for fans to listen to. I was instantly blown away by what just the singles had to offer musically. I instantly logged on to iTunes and bought the whole album, which further blew my mind to listen to. I was first impressed by their uniqueness even with all these bands on the metalcore scene these days. It's hard to find your own sound when most of the time someone else has already made it even if you didn't know it. From "A Pattern In Pain" to "Crowns" to "Grace Disguised By Darkness", this album is a never-ending hurricane of metalcore originality. There are some noticeable 80's style solos in some places including some thrash metal sounds as well as some As I Lay Dying influence. A few of the songs on the album display good influence but never plagiarism from other artists. It seems like the band has their own sound intertwined with influence throughout. I was supremely impressed with this album. // 9

Lyrics: I think the band is a christian band from the lyrics I heard, but that doesn't make them bad at all. The darker lyrics fit perfectly with the darker sounding music they play. The clean vocals fit in perfectly with the screamed vocals. The screams are well-done and the clean vocals are mid-range but powerful; a good singing voice. Vocally, this album is perfect. // 10

Overall Impression: Along with August Burns Red's "Leveler", For The Fallen Dreams' "Back Burner", and Suicide Silence's "The Black Crown", this metalcore release is among my favorite this year. My favorite song on the album has got to be "Crowns". The song displays perfect original metalcore sound from Phinehas and Phinehas only. I have been listening to this album continuously since I bought it. I don't want to say it's perfect because that's a big claim but I don't know what else to say. If you are a metalcore fan, or any hardcore music fan, you will not be disappointed at all with this album. With their debut album, Phinehas have crafted a masterpiece for the metalcore scene that is sure to blow minds and amaze other people. I can't wait to see what they have in the future. // 10

Comments