A Flair For The Dramatic Review

Pierce The Veil: A Flair For The Dramatic
Release Date: Jun 26, 2007
Label: Equal Vision
Genres: Screamo, Punk-Pop
It was catchy. The album was definitely a good start for the band.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.2
 7.8
 8.5
A Flair For The Dramatic Reviewed by: tucker69, on january 29, 2008

Sound: The voice of the vocalist captivated me when I first heard their song "The Cheap Bouquet". Other than that, it sounded generic. They had good screams, but you barely hear them do so most of the time. The guitarists were also great, and I remember hearing great solo riffs in some songs. Songs that are remarkable in the album are: Currents Convulsive, Yeah Boy And Doll Face, The Cheap Bouquet, Drella, and I'd Rather Die than Be Famous. They were the ones that actually caught my attention. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics was written in a good way. I remember hearing pick-up lines that are cool, "another boy without a sharper knife", perhaps. Although at times I think the lyrics don't fit the music. Anyway, all these drawbacks are overshadowed by the vocalist's cool voice. At first his voice sounded ordinary, but a short analysis drove me to a conclusion that his voice was awesome. // 7

Overall Impression: It was catchy. The album was definitely a good start for the band. Definitely a favorite in the album is Currents Convulsive and The Chep Bouquet. The song I'd Rather Die Than Be Famous is also very catchy, and the screams were good. It's just that they rarely scream, which was what I was expecting them to do. If it was stolen or lost, I'll have to say, "oh man... " then eat pizza. // 7

A Flair For The Dramatic Reviewed by: jhoanrae, on february 20, 2008

Sound: I think Pierce The Veil has a great kind of music, and sounds quite cool. You'll be hearing the high and sweet voice of Vic Fuentes, cool pop rhythm music and awesome lead stuff, and great drumworks. The first song I heard from them is Currents Convulsive, and I can say that it was terribly cool! Awesome intro, then machinegun drumrolls, back-uped by Vic's sweet voice:"Congratulations!" It was very cool. I wanted to dance when I heard the song, and on the chorus you'll be hearing back-up voices as the vocals whined his hysterically frantic voice. Love it. There was a mini solo that introduced me how great their lead guitarist is. So I decided to upload songs from i-tunes and found out there's more to add to my favorites. I quote some of them, like "Yeah Boy And Doll Face", "The Cheap Bouquet" which was very great and you'll hear lots of lead stuff that sounds so magical, hahah, I just love it. There was also a mini stuff after the song, and it was cute. "Drella" was also awesome. You have to listen to it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics? It was very sweet and very relevant to the present, and I remember some of them. The song "Falling a Sleep on the Stranger" was perhaps a love stuff that seemed like love at first sight, and perhaps happened somewhere in a sweet park.(Well, that was my perception..) I love the lyrics and were easily understood, and Vic wonderfully ruined(I mean decorated) the phrases using his lethally amazing voice. Vic is a very great vocalist; he has this great high-pitched voice that sounds sweet.(I dunno how many times I used that word to describe Vic's voice). He's just perfect to the band.. // 8

Overall Impression: Pierce The Veil proves that they are no ordinary stuff: excruciatingly high and sweet vocals, funky pop drum stuff, cute lyrics, and wonderfully clean lead riffs and solos that dominate the surface of your sensually endulged ears. All these and even more is what you get from merely listening to the album once. All songs are qute impressive, but there are actually songs that can't help but stand out, like Currents Convulsive, Drella, The Cheap Bouquet, and Yeah Boy And Doll Face. And Wonderless too! I love everything in them, but I hate to say that currently, they only made 14 songs, 11 from the album, another 2 entitled Kissing In Cars (acoustic), and She Makes Dirty Words Sound Pretty(with Johnny Craig, an acoustic too ) and the new and kick-ass revival of Beat It. Oh, I Love Pierce The Veil! You should have the album. You'll end up begging for more. // 9

More Pierce The Veil reviews rating latest review