Collide With The Sky Review

Genre: Post-Hardcore, Experimental Rock
Label: Fearless Records
review (1) 17 comments vote for this album:
Collide With The Sky Reviewed by: vppark2, on july 27, 2012

Sound: "Collide With The Sky" - an album that is sure to keep your head rockin' all the way through. Pierce The Veil, being a post-hardcore band, shows many sides of the way they create their music. Looking back at their past 2 albums, I'll say that this album is going in the right direction. This album is heavier in many ways. After listening through quite a few times, I noticed how most of these songs kind of link in towards each other. Each song is pretty similar, but they do each one well. I know most people will think that that is a bad thing, but each song displays a different story. The thing I liked about this album is that they decided to stay more in tone with the post-hardcore genre, and it really shows. They always had breakdowns on their albums, but nothing too fancy. Now, they bring in more build up points, and it just sounds better, and more mature. One more thing: I am no PTV fanboy. // 8

Lyrics: A lot of the songs are very deep, but usually typically talking about a girl. "Hell Above" pretty much tells a story about how Vic wants to get away from his home, and that it's hell. The song also tells about how he's going to forget about his father and become alone. "A Match Into Water", being one of my favorite tracks on this album, represent how Vic kisses the scars on the skin of a dead woman, and how he still thinks she's beautiful, and doesn't want to lose her. I liked the feeling of how this song turned out. Some people may find the message weird, or whatever, but I just go along with it. I mean, music is supposed to have some interesting and cool meanings to their songs. Overall, the message of that song, shows how it's very easy to lose a girl. "King For A Day", pretty much says what this album is going to sound like. This song is pretty damn good, and surprisingly brutal. Knowing the fact that Kellin Quinn from Sleeping With Sirens is also in the song, a lot of fans might get turned off by this, but I got news to tell ya; the guy is talented. I liked how they mixed Kellin's vocals in, and just the collaboration with him and Vic fits in very well. The song is about how if he could imagine himself being a king, and ruling other people, and how he wishes for better times, instead of being pushed around his entire life. "The First Punch" definitely would have to be one of my favorite songs off the album. The mexican side of them really show with the Spanish guitars start off at the beginning, and then all of a sudden, it goes into a cool breakdown. The chorus is insanely catchy. Overall, just a very cool song. "Bulls On The Bronx" would have to be my favorite song, though. A very catchy song, mixed in with a whole lot of everything. Towards the middle of the song, Spanish guitar playing appears, and it's just insanely sick. Then towards the end, piano playing goes off. It's just so cool how they pulled it all off on this one song. // 9

Overall Impression: "I'm Low On Gas, You Need Jacket" was probably my least favorite track, just because of how slow the song was itself. It just bored me. This band I think would compare to Sleeping With Sirens, A Skylit Drive, and Blessthefall. But overall, great album, and great listen. // 8

More Pierce The Veil reviews rating latest review