Wooden Bones Review

7.7
 7.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Wooden Bones Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on april 21, 2009

Sound: Eschewing modern trends in music, Pilot Speed have made an album that people can take into their hearts and feel like these songs relate to their lives and voice their emotions. The band's latest album, Wooden Bones from Wind-Up Records, has songs which have an emo-rock scaring without the band seeming to intentionally craft tunes encrusted in emo-streaks, they just seem to gravitate to that pattern. Produced by Dennis Herring (Modest Mouse, The Hives, Throwing Muses, Elvis Costello & The Imposters), the tracks are colonnade in melodic rock musings resembling Augustana and springs of atmospheric textured rock reflective of People In Planes. Spools of synth-pop are cinched by melodic rock trimmings which emboss Today I Feel Sure with an ambient glazing as guitarist Chris Greenough creates a crystal-like mass for Todd Clark's vocals walk on as he clutches onto the railing formed by bassist Ruby Bumrah and drummer Bill Keeley. All of the elements in the songs seem to be dependent on each other like the way the human heart is dependent on the other organs to function. Songs like the title track, What Is Real, What Is Doubt, and Open Arms are trussed in gently rolling sand-dunes of symphonic rock effects and orchestral strings crowning the lifts, while tracks like Ain't No Life and Up On The Bridge are anchored in searing beats and sonically supple magma. The ambient lesions are pliable gelling like flaccid putty in the band's hands and easily molded into floorboards to hold up Clark's vocals. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics reflect on how precarious life can be and to accept it on those terms like in Light You Up as Clark refutes, Today is not the ending We forget what we forget / I'll be a martyr in your background Today is not the ending you would like. Metaphors are scattered every place in the lyrics like, There's a shadow in the Sun / And it crawls along the path from which you came from the song Bluff. The words are profound, but there is something in their symbolism that makes them relatable to people's lives. They don't seem as obscure as they sound like in Ain't No Life when Clark resounds, When the world takes your heart from the fight, you do what you can So brother don't force my hand / Please let's see the forest from the trees / It's time to rise up, it's time to rise up from your knees / This ain't no life for us my brother / You're blind to all the colors you could discover I won't let you die inside. // 8

Overall Impression: Pilot Speed's songs breathe life into a zombie-like existence from the words of hope to the ambient lesions and melodic rock feathering. It's like a refreshing sip of water after spending days in the desert. The band's album, Wooden Bones has the heaviness of post-grunge mettle with the steely optimism cauterized by post-punk's sonic radiance. It's an album that has a hold on the general mindset of today. It's as if the band tapped into the global mood and came back with these songs. The music is colonized in ambient shaded streaks and coaled in beds of melodic rock tinders. Maybe there is a time limit on how long these songs will have validity, but for now, they are wired in lines which have meaning that's representative of today's society. // 8

Comments