A Momentary Lapse Of Reason Review

pink floyd: A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
Released: Sep 8, 1987
Genre: Prog-Rock, Art Rock
Label: EMI
If the music of this band is what has always moved you, then you're going to love this. Roger Waters may have left, but Pink Floyd remains.
 7.7
 7.3
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason Reviewed by: davidgilmourfan, on may 20, 2006

Sound: When Roger Waters left Pink Floyd everyone thought (even some of the band members at the time) that Floyd would go down the drain! But, that did not stop David Gilmour from picking up the band and showing Roger what he could do. David Gilmour and Nick Mason were the only "official" members at the time, but they brought in lots of brilliant musicians to play on the album. These songs are much different from other Floyd songs, now that Roger was gone, you didn't have him writing songs or lyrics. David handle most of that. The best songs on the album are: "Learning to Fly", "Sorrow", "Terminal Frost", "On The Turning Away" and "One Slip". The guitar solos are great and so are the effects. All the songs flow well and it is a very enjoyable album. David did a great job keeping Pink Floyd going. // 10

Lyrics: Well, David himself said that he doesn't have a good time writing lyrics. He got help from a few people, including his wife. The lyrics are very nice, and I love "One Slip" and "On The Turning Away", the lyrics are best on that album! Not bad for David handling the all the lyrics for the first time. // 9

Overall Impression: I really love this album, even though Roger is gone, David kept it going and made a beautiful album. If you are a Floyd fan, but haven't checked out this album yet, then do it, now! It's not my favourite Floyd album, but I love this album a lot. // 9

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason Reviewed by: Hendrix On acid, on july 12, 2005

Sound: Pink Floyd never dissapoints. This album, although lacking the amazing lyrical contributions of Roger Waters, still holds constant with David Gilmour's incredible solos, great guitar riffs, combined with Nick Mason's classic drumming, Rick Wright on keyboard and many others contributing. The combination of the 3 with the help of Bob Ezrin, who did work on "The Wall," Tony Levin, Scott Page, Michael Landua and others makes a great album. // 8

Lyrics: Roger Waters isn't with the band when this album was made, and before this he was the main lyrical driving force. However, Gilmour's lyrics on this album are surprisingly good. His voice on this album will make you reminisce with "Dark Side Of The Moon" and "Meddle." // 8

Overall Impression: This album, like every Pink Floyd album, is worth buying. The last track, "Sorrow" is the most impressive because of the great guitar and lyrics that will make you think. Although this is not my absolute favorite album (Dark Side Of The Moon), this is one of the best. // 8

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason Reviewed by: someone_not_you, on april 30, 2007

Sound: After "The Final Cut", it was clear that neither guitarist David Gilmour nor bassist/main lyricist Roger Waters were going to record an album together again. In 1983, both released solo albums ("The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" by Waters, "About Face" by Gilmour) that only went gold in the US, and both went on tour to promote them in small arenas. It was clear that apparently a solo album by any member of Floyd wouldn't by much succesful if the name of the band wasn't attached to the releases. Anyway, Waters disbanded the group by 1985. Unfortunately, David was "nostalgic" at this point. He succesfully "un-disbanded" Pink Floyd by 1986, and 'reunited' with drummer Nick Mason and keyboardist Rick Wright (this one just as a session musician). The result? A purely "David Gilmour solo album" with the name "Pink Floyd" in it, with a lot of session musicians assisting Gilmour, with Mason rarely playing (and I can't even say the same thing from Wright! ) and often replaced by a drum machine ("Learning to Fly" and the entire second half of the album). The opener instrumental "Signs of Life" is a straight "Dark Side of the Moon" rip-off with some "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" traces. Next comes "Learning to Fly", which is a bit dull, but still one of the strongest numbers here. However, "The Dogs of War", the third song, comes near to the definition of "worst Floyd song ever", but it was surpassed but another song from this album, the AWFUL "A New Machine". I can't believe that David could come with the idea of placing such a disgusting song here, with those horrendous robotic-like vocals. "One Slip" sounded at first to me a bit to Duran Duran, but it's again Gilmour with it's "Another Brick in the Wall (Part I)"/"Run Like Hell" riffage and it's a good song. The best, however, is the beautiful "On the Turning Away", sounds to me a bit like "Wish You Were Here" (the song), but it's beautiful, and remarks the guitar habilities of David at the end. "Terminal Frost" is a somewhat pleasant instrumental, with a beautiful piano line. Finally, we have the disgusting "Yet Another Movie" with a aimless coda ("Round and Around"), and "Sorrow", a somewhat improved version of "Yet Another Movie", is not so bad, but I dislike a bit Gilmour's monotonous singing and the synthesizer line. // 5

Lyrics: If you're searching for lyrics, look somewhere else. David Gilmour is just the guitar player, the definitive lyricist was Waters, and for that reason David is generally assisted by other people (see the credits). You may find great lyrics in "Learning to Fly", "Sorrow" and "On the Turning Away", but then you just find horrible lyrics, just like in "The Dogs of War" and both parts of "A New Machine". The other lyrical spots just doesn't impress me, and I just don't care about 'em. // 3

Overall Impression: It's sad that someone with the name "Pink Floyd" would release this. Compared to the earlier efforts, it's just a weak imitation/parody of them. If you love 80's mainstream music, well, this is the point to start with the band. But I'm not one of those. Fortunately, they released "The Division Bell" in 1994. // 4

A Momentary Lapse Of Reason Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on october 17, 2013

Sound: In 1985, Roger Waters left Pink Floyd and sued the band for continued use of the name Pink Floyd. The rest of the band members said that it was a brand and that they could make money off of it. What does this have to do with "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"? Well, as it turns out, this was the first Pink Floyd album to be released without Roger Waters and it's noticeably different music-wise from anything the band had ever made beforehand. This album sounds a bit less like Pink Floyd and more like something along the lines of a Post-Punk group, who were influenced by Pink Floyd, which isn't all bad. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics as well as the tone of the lyrics doesn't seem that different from Waters-era Floyd, other than a very harsh vocal delivery on some songs, though for all I know, that could have been entirely intentional. The music, however, is severely mismatched with the lyrics on a couple of tracks and I personally found myself with a strong urge to just skip those tracks altogether. For the majority of the album, there's a nice harmony, but like I already said, this does not sound like a Pink Floyd album, regardless of how good it may be. // 8

Overall Impression: If you want my complete and honest opinion, then here it is: "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" is a good album, but it's not a great album and it shouldn't be regarded as a must-have, unless of course, you happen to be one of those true musicophiles who make it their goal in life to get every single album by any band they like more than about 10 songs of. If you're a normal Pink Floyd fan, I can't think of a reason why you would actually need to buy this album. Maybe I could see why you might have it on your iPod, but actually owning a physical CD/Vinyl? Only if you must have it all. // 8

More Pink Floyd reviews rating latest review