A Saucerful Of Secrets Review

pink floyd: A Saucerful Of Secrets
Release Date: Jun 29, 1968
Label: Capitol
Genres: Album Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Psychedelic, British Psychedelia
A transitional album on which the band moved from Syd Barrett's relatively concise and vivid songs to spacy, ethereal material with lengthy instrumental passages.
 Lyrics: 8.6
 8.9
 8.6
 9.1
A Saucerful Of Secrets Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 17, 2006

Sound: This is one of the best albums out there from the Floyd. This album gave you the Floyd of the future basically because of the lack of Syd Barrett on this . Roger started his rants about war on "Corporal Clegg" so it is a relic in its own right just for that fact. Rick Wright came up with some stellar songs for this album and made his breakthrough of Floyd songwriting with the 2 tracks he added. Dave Gilmour makes his first impression to the public and makes a big mark on this album. This is one good album. // 10

Lyrics: 01. Let There Be More Light - good job on the lyrics mainly for the tone of voice given on the intro vocal. Great song throughout and has a wonderful part sung by Roger. 02. Remember A Day - one of Rick's best songs. Reminds me of my childhood and is a standout track on this album. 03. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun - possibly could be Nick Mason's best drum part ever and has a great guitar riff to go with the best lyrics on the album. 04. Corporal Clegg - Roger's first war raving song. I love this song with all my heart just for the fact of the humorous lyrics given. 05. A Saucerful Of Secrets - not as good in intro but turns into standout track when drums kick in. 06. See-Saw - my favorite song on this album. Makes me sad when I listen to it. Love this song. It has to be Rick's best ever. 07. Jugband Blues - Syd's final song for the Floyd and a sad one as well. It is humouous but sad in my book. Another classic syd song and the last "pop" days of the Floyd. // 10

Overall Impression: One of Floyd's best albums and best albums ever by anyone. A must have for all Floyd fans everywhere. No album contains such a spacy collection of songs until we get to Dark Side Of The Moon, you know what the album must be like whenever it is mentioned in the same sentence as Dark Side Of The Moon. A classic Floyd album and one of my all-time favorites. // 10

A Saucerful Of Secrets Reviewed by: someone_not_you, on may 02, 2007

Sound: While touring for "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn", frontman Syd Barrett started to show signs of madness. Was it too much acid? We'll never know. Anyway, when he didn't play note, a friend of him that Barrett met on school (and almost a friend of the band) replaced him in the guitar: david Gilmour. Barrett would subsequently write only one song and (apparently) play in other two in the band sophomore album. "A Saucerful of Secrets" is a good follow-up to the legendary 1967 album. The opening track "Let There Be More Light" features a great riff and ending guitar section by Gilmour. Keyboardist Richard Wright contributes (in his first solo credit) two somewhat boring but not bad by any means songs ("Rembember a Day" and "See-Saw"). Barrett contributes the closing piece, the sad "Jugband Blues", the song itself is great, but well, is not superior to his creative peaks showcased in "Piper" or in his first solo album "The Madcap Laughs". Bassist Roger Waters is the main contributor; apart from "Let There Be More Light", he contributes "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" (almost a mantra! ), with the best bass riff he created ever. Is almost mystical, with great keyboards and drumming, the latter courtesy of Nick Mason, and is the best number here. However, Waters still had to improve his songwriting skills, with the contribution of the funny but flawed "Corporal Clegg". Finally, by combining the ideas of the 4 members (without Barrett, who left in early 1968), we have the menacing title track, one of the earliest prog rock pieces, and a definite highlight of the record. Great drumming and disonance sections, and the climax section (when bass comes in and a choir makes an apperance) is almost celestial. // 9

Lyrics: The best lyrical effort is "Set the Controls", and I don't care that they were a rip-off of an ancient philosophy book or something like that (except for the title). Also, we have a sad farewell (and a portrait of a man's mental breakdown) from Barrett and his "Jugband Blues", and the spacier "Let There Be More Light", with intriguing sci-fi lyrics that even reference The Beatles ("was Lucy in the sky"). "Corporal Clegg" lyrics are almost a reminder that 15 years later Waters would release "The Final Cut". The only mistakes in this aspect are the two Wright compositions, that certainly showed that if he was a lyricist, he wasn't a great one. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a transitional effort, a bridge between the psychedelic era and experimental era, perhaps after Barrett left the band they feared that they were going to become in relics of the era (something confirmed by Mason in the "Live At Pompeii" video, and that almost got dissipated in 1973). Still, a good album. If you liked "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn", you'll probably find this one either good or interesting this one. // 8

A Saucerful Of Secrets Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 19, 2006

Sound: A sophmore album not unlike their LSD-induced (but wonderful) "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn," "A Saucerful Of Secrets" has many great moments as well as the all-too familiar weak points that often surface in sophmore albums. The impeccable David Gilmour makes his debut (one that would later change the face of Pink Floyd alltogether) after replacing the insane genious Syd Barrett during the recording of this very album From Roger Water's eerie bass line that begins the psychadelic journey of "Let There Be More Light" to the final, bittersweet note of Syd Barrett's swan song, "Jugband Blues," A Saucerful Of Secrets proves to be one of Pink Floyd's most interesting efforts to date. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of many of these songs seem to be written in an LSD induced haze, and although they often don't make much sense, they strike a deep chord with all true Pink Floyd fans. While many songs do feature the infuence of psychedelic drugs, songs like, "Remember A Day" show advances in the songwriting department while songs like "Corporal Clegg" are merely silly, fun compositions that are reminiscent of the Beatles "Sgt. Peppers" Many voices surface in this album, from David Gilmour to Roger Waters to Nick Mason, and ending with a bizarre yet appealing vocal from infamous Syd Barrett. All of the singers' voices mesh very well with the music, and the songs would not sound the same without them. // 8

Overall Impression: While it pales in comparison to albums like "Meddle," "Dark Side Of The Moon" and "Animals," this album is incredible in its own right, for after this one, Pink Floyd was leaning away fro their pschedelic rock and venturing more into progressive space rock. My favorites on this one are "Let There Be More Light", "Corporal Clegg" (Kazoo solo included), and "Jugband Blues." This is a worthy addition to any Floyd fan's collection, and it makes for an entertaining lidten. // 8

A Saucerful Of Secrets Reviewed by: mantyce, on may 03, 2007

Sound: Brilliant! While it's still heavily laced with psychadelia you can hear the musical direction in which Pink Floyd began to take to become one of the greatest (and in my humble opinion, the greatest) musical groups of all time. Richard Wright controls the mood with his keyboards and synthesizer and David Gilmour plays as perfectly as he always does. Perfect timing, astonishing sound. All four members contribute equally and their respective talents are blended harmoniously with all others to ensure nobody gets left behind and that nobody is in sole control. // 10

Lyrics: What can you say about Roger Waters' lyric abilities? They fit the music, they fit the theme. Although simply reading them doesnt't allow them to make sense (as many LSD, psychadelic lyrics didn't at that time) once set to music they take on a new form and become a catalyst for the music. // 9

Overall Impression: One of my favorite albums, Pink Floyd or otherwise. Corporal Clegg and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun are astounding. Although I could set any PF album on repeat and be in heaven, there are three that come to mind first. Saucerful of Secrets being one, Animals and Obscured by Clouds being the other two. The only thing I have to say negatively about this album is that it starts Roger Waters' continued parlance about war as is evident throughout the PF discography (DSOTM, The Wall, The Final Cut, and all Waters' solo efforts with the exception of Ca Ira). As gripping and poigniant as it is, it would have been nice for more diversity (Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Atom Heart Mother, Wish you were Here, and Animals are the only Waters-era PF albums that do not mention war as a theme). // 9

A Saucerful Of Secrets Reviewed by: weorge, on december 02, 2008

Sound: This album is the last with syd barrett in it, and he only contributed one song (although I think they should of added vegetable man, but they thoguht it was too dark to release)but his influence had definatley rubbed off on the other musicians. the sound is obviosuly phsychedelic, it's truely mental and it's got soem very interestign passages, especially in let there be more light which gets very catchy. this is also the point were the other band members started to write more, little of gilmours influence becasue he was still settilign in, but definatley mroe of waters (corperal clegg sounds like a mentaller, more sarcastic upbeat version of your possible pasts) and this is the poitn were rick wright started to write more, and his influence can be seen a lot in early floyd. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics defiantely get better in this album tham the first album, less abotu gnomes named grimble grumble and more drawn to reality thigns. the lyrics on jugband blues are particualry good. you can tell that he realsies he's beign phased out the band (I'm most gratefull to you for makign it clear that I'm not here) but it does appear he has trouble articulating it to well because you need to look at it knowing what happened to him to really tell. but yes the lyrics work very well with the music. // 8

Overall Impression: I think this is still one of the best phsychedelic albums, if you liek your music to be sligtly detached from the reality then you will like it, it's got some very interesting bits as I've sayd, definately worth getign, but it's not floyds best work. the only track I'm not keen on is the title track, which sounds like an attempt at a new intersteller overdrive. but the rest is excellent. youtube jugband blues, rememeber a day or corperall clegg to see what the albums like. // 8

A Saucerful Of Secrets Reviewed by: vagelier, on april 06, 2010

Sound: A Saucerful of Secrets is Pink Floyd's second studio album. It is the first album featuring the hailed David Gilmour (though in my opinion his contribution to Pink Floyd was very little) and the last album including the genius of Syd Barrett, already addicted to acid and mentally I'll at this point. Though it is most certainly less psychidelic than the previous The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, it's not the least bit accessible. Early Pink Floyd is, after all, an acquired taste. Needless to say it's a gem for Floyd-purists, but for the general audience I can understand that it's too far-fetched, too acidic, too scary. Yet one mustn't overlook the creative genius that was necessary to make such a record. Only one year after the revolutionary Sgt Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band, probably the origin of the psychidelic music scene, Pink Floyd was able to produce a way more far-fetched and original sound than the Beatles did. Though I'm definetely not arguing against the utter brilliance of Sgt Pepper, I will say A Saucerful of Secrets is more than a weird, stoned piece of music. It's a piece of art. // 8

Lyrics: 01. Let There Be More Light: the fast bass riff is a proper intro to the album, but changes with a fading in keyboard chord into the scary, slightly egyptian riff with the exciting yet terrifying vocals of Roger Waters. Then the choruses sung by Syd Barret which make this song worth your while, including the spacy lyrics. 4/5 02. Remember A Day: though the chord-progressions and structure of one of the few Rick Wright songs are definetely interesting, the lyrics are simply poor. Lines like "Climb your favorite apple tree/Try to catch the sun" and "Why can't we play today/Why can't we stay that way" are terrible, simplistic lines showing us that Richard was not a great lyricist, especially compared to the mighty Roger Waters. 2.5/5 03. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun: this is definetely the masterpiece of the album. In terms of structure, the anxious sound and riff with Doors-esque keyboard and Mason's amazing drum and the overall complete madness. It also contains the most powerful lyrics on the CD: "Little by little the night turns around/Counting the leaves which tremble at dawn/Lotuses lean on each other in yearning/Under the eaves the swallow is resting/Set the controls for the heart of the sun" As another example of Waters' musical and lyrical mastermind, Set The Controls is an absolutely astonishing Pink Floyd classic and one of the many examples of The Floyd's creativity. 5/5 04. Corporal Clegg: Waters' a-bit-too-obvious cynical anti-war lyrics are slightly poor, (Corporal Clegg had a wooden leg/he won it in the war/in 1944) especially compared to the preceding Set the Controls. And yes, the idea of a kazoo-riff in the middle is fun, but it's too long and boring. The structure isn't amazing either, and I'm tempted to say it's a filler. 2/5 05. A Saucerful of Secrets: the title track and pinnacle of the album's psychidelia, 12-minute four-piece is both extremely creative and inaccessible. Even I, a Floyd-lover to the bone find it hard to sit through the entire song, except when I listen to the entire album. It's definetely revolutionary and controversial, but I find it hard to say it's one of the greatest they ever made. 3.5/5 06. See-Saw: yet another Wright song. Again the lyrics aren't terrific, but they are better than Remember A Day by far. This song is a spacy, slightly-too-long piece, almost making me want to assume that they were letting Rick write songs so he at least thought he was involved. A proper song, but not noticable to peak on such a record. 3/5 07. Jugband Blues: this is Syd Barrett's final goodbye. Jugband Blues is a strange song, existing of four completely different parts, each in another mood and scale. It is obvious that he was not mentally present when he was writing this (And I'm wondering who could be writing this song). Syd Barrett's appears to be singing about how he doesn't care that he's going nuts (I don't care if the sun don't shine/And I don't care if nothing is mine) which, with background information, makes this anthem even more horrifying. Syd's farewell is a spooky one, reminding us all to stay of drugs, kids. Overall Floyd's lyrics are amazing but the singing quality is mediocre compared to other artists of their level of popularity. // 9

Overall Impression: Pink Floyd is obivously a very unique band; which each album being a completely different experience -and A Saucerful of Secrets is no exceptiong- they are one of those groups that just keep surprising you. Though the presence of Waters' songwriting could've been more and better here it will definetely develop in the decade after this. A Saucerful also shows what journey Pink Floyd had to embark on to reach their world-wide pinnacle (Dark Side of the Moon) or my personal favorite (The Wall). Though the album is definetely no mainstream of easy-listening record, I can guarantee it's worth your while. That being said, it's also another one of the foundations of psychidelic music though it's nowhere near as spacy as the preceding The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. In conclusion, A Saucerful is a tremendous effort and one of the building blocks that would later on make Pink Floyd one of the biggest rock bands ever. // 8

A Saucerful Of Secrets Reviewed by: IBuriedPaul, on january 20, 2011

Sound: A Saucerful Of Secrets expanded "The Pink Floyd Sound" greatly. It was definitely a transitional album. Pink Floyd started out as a psychedelic rock group with a bit of space rock sound. But with the deteriorating mental state of their leader Syd Barrett, they decided change was in order. David Gilmour was enlisted to become a full time member of the band. I've always appreciated this album a bit more than their other albums for two reasons. Firstly, it's the only album of theirs in which they have five members of the band. Most people overlook it as it was only a short period. The other reason is that Rick Wright contributed extensively to this album. His songwriting is very underrated. He proves that he is just as capable as David and Roger at writing with his songs "Remember a Day" and "See Saw". The band continues their fascination with spacey sounds by including the track "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun", a hypnotic song filled with vibraphones and timpani. A lot of oddities can be found on this album. "Corporal Clegg" is a very playful song that is very beatlesque. The title track "A Saucerful Of Secrets" is a four part track that is chaotic, avant-garde, and just a pure sonic delight. Syd Barrett wrote the final track. Never has a song been so happy and so sad at the same time. // 8

Lyrics: Typical Pink Floyd lyrics can be found on this album. Obscure. Introspective. Well, aside from the more silly tracks such as "Corporal Clegg" and "Jugband Blues". Rick Wright provides the majority of vocals on this album. He sings wonderfully. Roger occasionally lends his "vocal ability" to the group. David isn't quite out of his shell yet so he sticks to backing vocals mainly. Barrett sings his final song, marking an end to the first era of Pink Floyd. // 8

Overall Impression: As previously mentioned, this is a transitional album. It's not as structured as "The Piper At The Gates of Dawn". Pink Floyd is beginning to take chances and experiment. This trend would continue from "Ummagumma" to around "Meddle". This has always been my favorite era of Pink Floyd, simply because of the unpredictability. Sure "The Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" are excellent albums. I love them to death. But they are predictable. "A Saucerful Of Secrets" is not without it's flaws though. The album can slow down at points such as "Set the Controls" and during some parts of the title track. The band also lacks the maturity and discipline that they would later show. Nonetheless, "A Saucerful Of Secrets" is a great effort. All serious Pink Floyd fans and fans of psychedelia in general should check this album out. // 8

More Pink Floyd reviews rating latest review