Animals Review

artist: pink floyd date: 07/31/2009 category: compact discs
pink floyd: Animals
Released: Jan 23, 1977
Genre: Progressive Rock, Art Rock
Of all of the classic-era Pink Floyd albums, "Animals" is the strangest and darkest, a record that's hard to initially embrace yet winds up yielding as many rewards as its equally nihilistic successor, "The Wall".
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.6
 9.3
 9.8
Animals Reviewed by: Pitchfork Media, on april 21, 2008

Sound: My brother was in college, and one day I went through his records and listened to the ones with the coolest covers. Animals fascinated me then as it still fascinates me today. It is the acute anthropomorphic fantasy, possessing a timeless quality that has thrust it into the category of "classic," though it may remain forever in the shadow of it's more commercially successful older brother, Dark Side Of The Moon. Consisting of three tracks each longer than ten minutes and two tracks under two minutes, Animals is not for the attention, span, deficient. However, within this impenetrable fortress of radio-unfriendly tracks, we hear Dave Gilmour's guitars at their absolute best. For those weaned on The Wall and Dark Side, you'll find Animals to be a whole new bag of feed. Where Floyd's two most recognizable albums made their mark with operatic aggression and fear, Animals deals in dirt under the fingernails reality, the common smallness that simultaneously binds and repels us all. Animals is like George Orwell's Animal Farm run through a full- audio acid test spectacular in every aspect and now in full color. // 10

Lyrics: [With Animals, you] get a full-on dose of Roger Waters' powerful lyrical imagery and are presented with the worst elements of our own humanity packaged in the skins of "Sheep," "Dogs" and "Pigs (Three Different Ones)". "Dogs," a 17-minute study in the commonest of all faults, lazily dispenses bite after venomous bite into the desires that drive us to seize the fast buck and screw anyone that gets in our way:" You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to/So that when they turn their backs on you/You'll get the chance to put the knife in." All this wrapped up in the flaky coating of two hauntingly similar and musically identical tracks casting opposite views of cynicism and hope on the proceedings. // 10

Overall Impression: It begins somewhere for everyone. There's the first song that grabs your attention and seizes the imagination, the first album that demonstrates such overall strength and originality that it becomes something more for most listeners, just as there is the first kiss that awakens the soul and forever changes the vision. I admit without qualm that it began for me with Animals. // 10

Animals Reviewed by: davidgilmourfan, on may 23, 2006

Sound: Animals is probably the 3rd Pink Floyd album I bought, and not knowing what it was really about, I put it into my CD player and it starts out with a great acoustic song "Pigs On The Wing" and then moves onto a great peice "Dogs" and then keeps you interested from then on. This album was recorded in their own studio. Not at Abbey Road or Astoria, but their own, re-built studio. Pink Floyd really gelled together and made a real awesome album. They all worked there best on this album and you can tell. "Dogs" is smooth and the vocals are calming. The vocals become rough when the song gets more up-beat and the solos in this song are great. Then it goes into "Pigs" and very weird, yet fun song. Pink Floyd introduces the "pig" guitar and this is my favourite song on the album. After "Pigs" it goes into "Sheep" the biggest (most famous song) on the album. Great keyboard, lovely guitar and Rogers raw vocals really add to what Roger is trying to say. It is the darkest song on the album. And the album ends with "Pigs On The Wing (Three Different Ones)", which is acoustic and the lyrics are really powerful in this song. Great album, I love it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep and dark. Roger really had something to say on this album. Each song keeps you interested as you listen to the music and you listen intently to the lyrics as well. As usual Roger uses his "metaphorical" style of writing lyrics on this album. Very politically based, and very dark. I love the lyrics and I always do love Rogers lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album, it is one of my favourites and I will always love this. If it ever got stolen, I would have to hurt someone. Great album, love it, check it out sometime. // 10

Animals Reviewed by: someone_not_you, on may 03, 2007

Sound: After recording "Wish You Were Here" it was almost clear that some tensions between the band members started to surface, and bassist Roger Waters assumed almost control of the band. Released in 1977, the year "punk broke" (just like that Sonic Youth/Nirvana video) and when major prog rock bands started to fall or to change their image/music in order to survive, Pink Floyd showed that they were still one of the greatest bands in the world, releasing this amazing conceptual masterpiece, and easily their best project as of 2007. The main responsible for this is Waters, who almost guided the band through the project, and is almost the songwriter of the whole thing, except for a joint credit with guitarist David Gilmour in the second track, "Dogs". "Animals" starts with the beautiful "Pigs on the Wing", another great example of his folk-rock songs, a trend that almost started in "Music from the Film More", and has continued in nearly every album since then. Then we explore the amazing 17-minute journey of "Dogs", with the most amazing solos that Gilmour has ever created! Yes, even better than the one of "Comfortably Numb" (either live or studio)! And great synthesizer solos of keyboardist Rick Wright. "Pigs" is also amazing, darker and slower, but still powerful, with a great organ line from Wright. "Sheep" is also a hightlight, the most upbeat and catchy song in the album, and even if he wasn't credited for songwriting, Wright shines here too, with an amazing organ intro. Finally, we have a return to the quiet territory of "Pigs on the Wing" to close this amazing musical cycle. Overall, musically, this is the most powerful album the band has, the songs are great and, if you thnik you're tired by the army of special effects that DSOTM has, you'll find this one great. // 10

Lyrics: This is almost the peak of Waters lyrical habilities. Period. The concept is Orwellian (based on Animal Farm, mostly), but instead of criticizing the excesses of communism as Orwell did, this is an attack to the capitalist system ones. Basically, the album consist in dividing people in three classes, the pigs (the upper class, the ones with power), the dogs (the ones who defend the system), and the sheep (the lower class, the discriminated ones but finally they determine to make a rebellion). However, the album is also a criticism of real life figures, such as Margaret Thatcher, and a British woman that proclaimed herself "defensor of morality in the UK" called Mary Whitehouse (and not the White House as some think). The lyrics' anger almost lead to this album to be called the "Punk Floyd" era album, but that's not true completely. After all, "Pigs on the Wing" is a bittersweet declaration of love from Waters to his wife. Anyway, Waters manages to make a great story and comcept, even better than the one present in "The Wall" (which is certainly part rip-off from The Who's "Tommy", but that's another story. // 10

Overall Impression: Definitely, even if the band started to disintegrate up to this point, there's no other Floyd project (even if "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and "Wish You Were Here" come very close) that could equal the grandiosity of this one. I'll say it again, if you have just DSOTM and you're bored by it, run and buy it today, don't wait until tomorrow, is an amazing album, and you'll never get disappointed by it. It's not just for cultists, the casual listener could easily enjoy any of the tunes here, and it's not unaccesible as some say (the last time Floyd released an unaccesible album was in 1970). Oh, and one last thing. If you enjoyed the album, please read "Animal Farm", is a great story, and just like the album, it never gets old. // 10

Animals Reviewed by: Mr Pink, on march 19, 2005

Sound: Animals is by far one of the best Pink Floyd albums. With nearly 50 minutes of music in only 5 tracks, each song has a kind of musical depth to it. Roger's lyrics, and David's solos come together to form a damn near perfect pool of sounds, and of course the bands' traditional way of seamlessly joining tracks together to make one long song really does this album justice. The middle three songs, Dogs, Pigs (three different ones) and Sheep, are works of pure musical genious. Of course, David Gilmour is recognised as one of the best, so it definatley does good to have someone like that in your band, and in this album he does not let you down. The power held in the song "Dogs" is immense, and eventually explodes with a series of guitar and keyboard solos. There is sounds for everybody, with most of the song being instrumental. However, it is not an album you can just sit and listen to. The sheer length of the tracks puts a lot of people off, and ruins a calming atmosphere. All three of the middle songs are played in a minor key, which instantly rules out playing in places like shops, businesses and other working environments. With all this in mind, the sound is extrememly well put together, with very talented musicians executing a complicated and seamless series of sounds. The beginning and end songs, "Pigs on the wing Parts one and two" begin and end the album perfectly, and lift your spirits after the "moody" music. // 10

Lyrics: As any Floyd fan knows, Roger was always very pessimistic about his singing and song writing skills. And they also know that he had no reason to be. The lyrics on this album beat a lot of other Floyd albums, and especially the song "Dogs." The lyrics for this are somewhat disturbing, and convey feelings about all kinds of issues. All of the songs were based on George Orwell's book "Animal Farm," which is also quite a fierce book. The lyrics are the same. Roger has put some of his best ideas into one album, which is definatley a good thing. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a totally different album to any other by Pink Floyd. The sound and lyrics come together to form work of pure talent, and is definately worth buying. If you are more into music than lyrics, then this is the album for you. The most impressive songs from the 5 tracks is "Dogs," reaching over 17 minutes long. The music and lyrics in that song are unlike any other song out there. The whole album is very unique, but still holds the typical Pink Floyd sound. I would definatley recommend this album to both Floyd and guitar fans alike. // 10

Animals Reviewed by: TravisWongPG, on january 20, 2006

Sound: Animals is one of the best sounding Pink Floyd albums of all time. Based George Orwell's political fable Animal Farm where Roger implies the pigs to be self-righteous hypocrites inflicting their beliefs on everyone else, the dogs greedy money-grabbers, and the sheep witless followers, all of which are said to be humans. The sound is simply amazing, hauntingly dark, and brilliantly composed. The song "Pigs On The Wing Pt. 1" (and pt. 2), Roger wrote to his then girlfriend. The Pink Floyd play amazing on this album, and Gilmours guitar solos, especially on "Dogs," make you want to cry. // 10

Lyrics: Roger Waters take point on this album (no surprise) and writes nearly every song, with the exception of "Dogs" where Gilmour aids in the creation. The lyrics are dark, and powerful, speaking very politically of different people and their roles in the world. It hits hard and it sucks you in. Waters and Gilmours voices fit perfectly over the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall and amazing album from start to finish. There is no dull spots where you can go grab a coke. The sound is amazing, the lyrics are amazing, and you can feel the energy and work that the band put into this album. Simply amazing guitar and lyrical work. If I lost it or it was stolen, heads would roll. // 10

Animals Reviewed by: UtBDan, on january 05, 2007

Sound: Although Animals is one of Pink Floyd's lesser known albums, it's not bad on any level. Pink Floyd sound is rarely the same but always similar, pop based prog rock, basically. However, on Animals it deviates more so than usual, with heavy use of delay, fuzz bass solos, and other oddities, it feels about half Dave era Pink and half Syd era Floyd. That's the beauty of Animals. My favorite song on the album is the one that deviates from the madness of the 3 other tracks, Pigs On The Wing (Parts I & II). It's an acoustic song with a guitar solo in it that's pretty near perfect. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are some of the most outstanding by Roger, if not anyone ever. Not to say it's the best album out there, but lyrically, the story of Animals is one to interpret among yourselves as an Orwellian tale of 3 types of animals (or really, 3 classes of people) each struggling to get by. Throw in the personal meaning of the first and last tracks (Pigs On The Wing Parts I & II) and the simple lyrical reference that any fool knows this dog needs a home, and you have something that started out as a lyrical showcase and ended up a musical one, too. // 9

Overall Impression: It's not as easily accessible as Dark Side Of The Moon. It's not as interesting of a story as The Wall, with less familiar songs on it. It's shorter than most Floyd albums. There's a pretty moment here or there, but nothing like Wish you were here. But still, I consider Animals a great Pink Floyd album, had it been released by another band, it would've been considered a landmark new album in progressive rock when it came out. But instead, it was tossed aside as just another Pink Floyd album. And it's better than just another Pink Floyd album: it's just another great Pink Floyd album. // 7

Animals Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Sound: Preceding this record are the more popular wish you were here and dark side. This album I believe is to be pink floyds angirest probably because of the emerging punk scene. Anyway the sound on this record is harsh unlike the preceding two which as we know are sound perfect again probably intentional. 01. Pigs On The Wing Pt. 1 - a short acoustic piece that bookend the album probably taking the piss out of the massive hit wish you were here. 02. Dogs - the longest song on the album going on for about 17 mins the most epic. Some people might have trouble listening to this piece but prog fans and the like will love it great guitar solos by gilmour. 03. Pigs 3 Different Ones - the most quirkest song on the album contains good bass licks and the funky upbeat mood gets you bobbing. The ending solo for though is something I like because its different because gilmour usually play bluesy type numbers but here its just like a big wall of distortion and its angrier, it's not that hard but that just speaks to me. the middle bit is a bit long. 04. Sheep - my vote as the most darkest song on the album again has some good guitar parts but the best is the haunting synth work in the middle and the voice box thin go. 05. Pigs On The Wing Pt. 2 - almost identical to the 1st part caps off the album. // 8

Lyrics: At this point waters was getting more and more stressed and lyrics kinda of go pessimistic from here on in as you know by The Wall. The lyrics are based on George Orwells 1942 polictical novel Animal Farm and basically pulls apart each genre of person i. e. pigs, sheep and dogs. At this point the band was floating on "Thin Ice" but I believe that this is probably the basswork is the best of rogers. Although hints of the pessimistic lyrics are on previous albums it's shown here moreso because he sings on every song waters was just turning into a megalomaniac. I do feel the lyrics are actually more angry than the wall thats just mostly depressing. // 10

Overall Impression: The good thing about floyd though is each album sounds different not a contender for a masterpiece like Dark Side this album has been forgotten. The material was probably made long to get rid of radio play but not the fans. This alums is a decent statement of where they were at the time although rick wrights input seems limited here. The sound may be a bit rough but its a very good floyd album worth listening to if this cd was lost or stolen I would probably by it again not a good starting point for begining floyd fans. // 10

Animals Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2005

Sound: 5 songs. Solid psychedelic rock. Lots of acoustic guitar mixed with slow, almost mournful bass rhythyms and David Gilmour's breathtaking guitar solos. However, there is a definite shift away from the "space rock" of Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. 01. Pigs On The Wing - acoustic intro song, about 1: 30 long. Nothing too special. 02. Dogs - 17 some minutes long. Loooong song! Poignant lyrics about, well, about almost everything. Does not change too much rhythm-wise for such a long one though, but has a few solos mixed in. Best song on the album. 03. Pigs - lots of weird oinking. Lyrics are uninspired. Just plain bad. Worse because its 11-12 minutes long. 04. Sheep - at first glance the lyrics seem bizarre, but reading between the lines predicts some sort of revolution. The Sheep (us) revolt and try to kill the dogs and farmer (communists or society as a whole), but someone else takes over and we are all sheep again. Bizarre. 10 minutes long. 05. Pigs On The Wing 2 - talks about the "revolution" being over, and nothing has changed (literally nothing has changed - the song is the exact same as pigs on the wing 1 with different lyrics). // 8

Lyrics: Supposedly inspired by George Orwell's Animal Farm, the lyrics take a menacing downturn. Aimed at the human race as a whole, the lyrics suggest anger at society made of false friends and charades. The lyrics fit the music very well, but sometimes lack space. To me, it almost seems to be wanna be punkish in the theme of anti-society and revolution. But that might be a bit of a stretch. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to any other Floyd album, mediocre. If I lost it, I'd steal the money to get it again, but I wouldn't work hard-earned hours to buy it. Buy it for Dogs and the two Pigs on the Wings. Or just Dogs. It's 17 minutes, about a buck for a minute. // 6

Animals Reviewed by: leid sepplin, on january 09, 2006

Sound: Pink Floyd relly outdid themselves this time. People that are not fans of Floyd may not like this album though. The lyrics & overall tunes are so much different than The Wall (their most popular album). There is definatley a story attached to this CD. Their longest song, Dogs, lasts an epic 17-ought minutes. thats a long song, but if you listen to all the lyrics, you just might come off with a different view of pink floyd. Most notably the musical innovations in this CD are the use of animal sounds. I know that the beatles may have used this first in blackbird but "Animals" takes it to a whole-nother level. most every song on this album uses the sound from the animal it is about. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for this CD are amazing. From the epic "Dogs" to the short but sweet "Pigs On The Wing Part 1, 2." The singer skills are also amazing. This definatley isn't Bon Scott, it's much mellower and echoy, but thats what Pink Floyds about. And the lyrics definatley comply with the music. On the songs that are needed the voice is low and echoy and on the fast electric parts the voice changes accordingly. I'm giving this a 10 but thats just my musical preference. If you're a "Green Day" or "Mettalica" fan you may want to stay away. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said earlier this is superior to The Wall but will never as recognized. The Wall is a fan favorite but not as epic (IMO) as animals. The most impressive song on the album is definatley Dogs running at 17:06 minutes it is definatley epic, and the fact that it follows a story helps alot. What I love about this Album is definatley the legenth of the songs. The only short songs on the album are the 2 Pigs On The Wing. Other then that the shortest song is 10:21. This can also be a double edged sword beacuse (imo) they ran out of things to say in 3 Little Pigs, so its just basiclly instrumental. If this were stolen from me I would definatley buy another, it is an integral stone in Pink Floyd's repoitouer. // 9

Animals Reviewed by: GrungePb, on june 08, 2006

Sound: Well the album is inspired by George Orwell's famous book Animal Farm. The book talks about how there are 3 types of people, Dogs, Pigs and Sheep. There is a song for each animal discussed in the novel which is why the album seems short with 5 tracks. Really these songs are long and the album length is 41:51, Dark Side of the Moon is 43:00 and Nirvana's nevermind is 42:38 just to compare lengths. The songs themselves each have there own song as do the animals they represent. With the songs being so long its hard to pin 1 sound to each song because each song explores different sounds related to the mood of that animal. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really great on this album. The lyrics reflect what the animal is about. Example: Dogs are people who are all buisness, the wall street guy who will step on anyone to get ahead. In the lyrics of Dogs they discuss how you do this. You start with the "Firm hand shake and then a easy smile" and it goes on to discuss how you gain there trust so "When they turn there back on you, you get the chance to put the knife in" referring to the back stabbing in the coperate world. All in all the lyrics go perfectly with what this album is about and the views projected on to each animal. // 10

Overall Impression: I read that some saw Animals as a flop compared to Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here, I strongly disagree. I dont think people where ready for such a album. This album does everything it set out to do and that was to express the views of George Orwell's Animal Farm. If your just looking for a good album to listen to and dont really care what the album is about this is still a great album. With songs like "Sheep" the band really explores new sounds with there new home studio (where it was recorded). This album is also my favorite album to have playing in the background when you hanging out with friends due to the fact that each song has like 4-8 mins of no lyrics where they let the insturments do the talking. Really great album. // 10

Animals Reviewed by: pinkfloydian11, on august 28, 2006

Sound: About a week or two ago I reached into my dad's CD rack and grabbed pink floyd animals. Being a major floyd fan who loved the wall I decided I had listened to everything else by them but this. So I popped it into my CD player and gave it a listening to. It immediately hit me with it's sound level and high quality guitar work that the other albums didn't have. The first album mainly by Roger Waters so I figured it would be a lot of bass, wrong, David Gilmour played the best guitar he has ever done since meddle. After reading a review off a site that I realized that it was based on the book Animal Farm. The music is just flat out amazing. // 8

Lyrics: This album was the first album after Roger Waters married Carolyne. So the songs Pigs On The Wing (pt.1 and 2) are based on how they need look out for each other to make it through this world. Most of the lyrics are based off of animal farm which uses animals to describe three main types of people in the world. Pigs are greedy fake tyrants who run other peoples lives, dogs are the pigs workers who do the do the pig's dirty work. Lastly there sheep who are spineless people that do what ever the pigs and the dogs tell them to because they're stupid and scared of the dogs. "Who was told what to do by the man." The lyrics deeply describe these charachters and grow to make you hate the pigs and dogs in the story that is this album. The two singers in this are Roger Waters and David Gilmour. Roger sings with more anger since he wrote the pesemistic album about the fake people in the world. David sings a more melodicly. Most of it's sung from the sheep's point of view. Overall the vocals are pretty good. // 9

Overall Impression: This album overall is scarier then all the other albums even the wall, but the wall is deeper sadder. My personal favorite song is Pigs because it's the best one, because it's better than the rest, because it's great. I love the lyrics and guitars. I didn't the vocals were up to floyd standard's on some lines. If it was lost lost or stolen I'd blame the pigs and buy it again. // 8

Animals Reviewed by: Page&HammettFan, on january 05, 2007

Sound: This album is absolutely fantastic. Even though you're probably aware, this album was made inbetween Wish You Were Here and The Wall, it literally sounds like what you'd get if you fused the music. It's by far my favorite Pink Floyd album and it's a shame that I don't know if they have any live versions of it, it is their best work. // 10

Lyrics: Roger's lyrics on this album may not be his very best ever, but it's Roger Waters, he always has great lyrics. They really blend with the music very well, and there is a great music-to-lyric ratio, there isn't too much music, there isn't too much singing. It's just a pleasure to listen to the whole way through. // 10

Overall Impression: I can honestly say that there is nothing I hate about this album, and everything I love. Whether it's David Gilmours amazing guitar playing, or the amazing ability in the music and lyrics, or just how each song is different yet similar so much. If you haven't heard this album yet, it is a must have. If it were lost/stolen, I would get a new copy of it as soon as possible. It is one of the best listens you could have, and if you are considering buying this album as opposed to a different one or another Pink Floyd album, this is by a landslide the choice I'd advise. One of my very favorite albums I own, and is something that any fan of music should look into. // 10

Animals Reviewed by: notoriousnumber, on june 20, 2007

Sound: I have to firstly point out that Animals may be my favorite Floyd album, for a number of reasons. I can't help but thinking "Oh yes" when I hear the fade in from 'Dog's' strum intro or when I hear the faint jazzy intro for Sheep. After hearing the intros for the two songs, I am struck for 10-17 mins with awe at Floyds sound. The clashing and wide vibrato utilized in Sheep's upbeat parts are mesmerising as are the chords in Dogs. Anyway, enough generalizing and flowery description, I can whole-heartedly say that the sound associated with "Animals" is quite extraordinary. Being a very short album with very long songs is nice, for a change, but also because each epic song (excluding the first and last tracks, which are only 1 min each) can stand on it's own and capture the mind for their whole duration, be it 10 or 17 mins. The tones that Gilmour uses on solos and fills alike are sweet as ever, save for a few parts in the short solos on Dogs where it can sound a bit pinched and watery. The slide solo at the end of Sheep however makes up for this, and more. I am obliged to give sound a 10, because any other score does not do the album justice. // 10

Lyrics: I always enjoy listening to Floyd's lyrics, as they can make sense and are not just there to fill the void of instrumentals. The opener and closer "Pigs on the Wind" has some very nice lyrics, which quite nicely fit in with the rest of the other albums lyrics. For me, Dogs has to be the highlight for lyrics. I have listened to them so many times and thought "wow, that is so cool". Especially the epic ending that rounds off the song wonderfully contains some great lyrics. The voice on the album is really good, very impressive melodic design on Pigs on the Wing and heartfelt in the other songs. I have to say his voice got a bit annoying on parts of Pigs but the solo makes up for it. // 8

Overall Impression: If I were to put the songs in ranking order, it would be Dogs on top, followed by Sheep and then the other three. Dogs is as much as a journey as an experiance, the whole 17 mins is mesmerising, from meaningful solos to a psychadelic bridge. Although I have mainly talked about the content of the album and many people who have not bought it will not know what I am talking about, I can only urge people to buy it. On it's own it is a fantastic album, but if you are a Floyd fan then you will love it to bits. I would definitely buy this album again if it were stolen, I would buy another one to give to someone as well. A cracking album. // 10

Animals Reviewed by: Hamburger89, on august 17, 2007

Sound: It's made after The Dark Side Of The Moon which changed the style of Pink Floyd entirely. The complete album is based on (as the title refers) animals. The first song Pigs on the Wing(Part One), then Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones), Sheep and Pigs on the Wing(Part Two). The album is build up in a very strong way, the first song is a short intro and the last one a short outro. The three songs in between seem to be comparing animals to humans in my eyes. Pigs(Three Different Ones) the first part of the song seems to be about a man who has a company where worker are exploited, the second part the person or pig is just like in the first part reffered to as someone you laugh at. The third part is about a christian politician that wanted cleaner tv. This part is slightly different from the others. It's undeniably Pink Floyd as you expect it but then again not, if you listen to a part without vocals so you don't recognize the voices you can still here by the sound that it's Pink Floyd. Yet they still try new things, one of those things I never heard before is the fading of Roger's voice into a synthesizer sound in Sheep. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are brilliant, they comparison made in Pigs (Three Different Ones) is fantastic. The song dogs could be divided in parts too, the first is about dogs obviously. Then you think they continue to sing about dogs but in the second part you can easily think it's about humans but they seem to be acting like dogs. The humans they are referring too seem to be rich people again. In Sheep it's different, it's more about the workers or the people. Dogs tell them what to do and are the leaders. The sentence "You better watch out, there may be dogs about" could mean that the people must watch out for politicians or people with power. The lyrics tell a story and it makes the album sound like the vision of Pink Floyd on the world of 1977. Roger and David always sing great and so do they here, the fading away, the quick jumps from soft to loud and the sound of their voice is fantastic. // 10

Overall Impression: You couldn't compare this album to any non-Pink Floyd albums. It has the sound of the Pink Floyd after The Dark Side Of The Moon and in my opinion is a milestone in their music. Every song is original yet they still belong together because of the sound and lyrics. There's nothing for me to hate and I don't know how you can make it better but I'm not giving it a 10 since the Pink Floyd members could probally do it. // 9

Animals Reviewed by: TheLlamaMan, on july 31, 2009

Sound: Animals is a concept album, and is Pink Floyd's eighth studio album. The album is made up of the two bookend tracks ("Pigs on the Wing") and three others, each the name of a different animal ("Dogs", "Pigs (Three Different Ones)", and "Sheep". Despite the album being considered lesser than some of Pink Floyd's more famous albums ("Wish You Were Here", "The Dark Side of the Moon", "The Wall") it is on no accounts not a good album. It's a shame that this album didn't get as much attention, because really it's another one of Pink Floyd's greats. The sound on it is amazing, and it's hard not to get caught up in the feeling of the songs. Each of the tracks (not including the bookends) clocks in at over 10 minutes each, "Dogs" being the longest at just over 17. For casual Pink Floyd listeners, or people who are used to shorter, more condensed songs, this might seem a bit excessive. Although this may be the case for some people, for most fans it will be a welcome thing. The length of the songs doesn't mean you will lose interest in them after a while because they are constantly changing, forcing you to listen and get into the songs. The albums sound flows perfectly and moves along, always building towards something and becoming more immersive, as a good concept album should. Because it's a concept album, the mood of the album is generally the same throughout the entire thing. In this case, the music is generally very dark, bitter, and depressing, and it is obvious that Roger Water's has a very cynical outlook on the world. Although it would be nice to have a mood change here and there to switch things up, the general darkness of the album really suits the point of it. Due to the progressive nature of the band, it is common to hear instruments which are seemingly "out of place" in a rock band, but somehow come out sounding great and fitting the songs perfectly. Although there are not as many or as unfitting instruments on this album (most of them being synth and other keyboard varients, but also include things like a talk box) it's nice to have something unusually in the music. For the sound of the actually instrumentation, we primarily have David Gilmour on electric guitar, Roger Water's on bass, Nick Mason on drums, and Richard Wright on the many types of keyboards, organs, and pianos. Gilmour's bluesy style of playing fits, and the actually tone of the guitar suits perfectly with the albums mood. His solos have a great feeling, and the playing is powerful even when just something in the background. Roger Water's bass playing is, as usual, a great and essential part of the band. Really backing up the rest of the instruments while adding to the music itself and occasionally being the focus, it's really amazing. On drums, Nick Mason does a fantastic job when he's playing. He is able to flawlessly change his drumming as the song changes, and able to be complicated while not drawing attention from the rest of the band. Finally, Richard Wright's playing is superb. It adds that extra dimension to the music that is lacking from a lot of bands, and gives the sound the fullness that helps make it as great as it is. So overall, the sound is pretty amazing. Although at times it feels like the band members didn't put everything they had into it, or dragged parts on for too long and other for not long enough, it is generally great. Every persons playing fits in perfectly with the others, creating a really tight and together sound that is one of the reasons why this album is so good. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are great, and are somewhat based off George Orwell's animal farm, but foucuses on the negativity of capitalism. Each animal is a metaphor of a type of person in the world. The dogs are the business men, the people with the egos who believe they are better then others, the people who look after themselves and need noones support to get by. The pigs are at the top of the ladder with the money and the power. They exploit others and use their power to get what they want, not caring about the others. Finally, the sheep represent the common folk, the people whos opinions are easily swayed and the people who are easily taken advantage of. Although the concept is generally quite simple, the lyrics are amazing and the point gets across quite clearly to those who understand. This album definitely has some of Roger Water's best lyrics, as dark and bitter as they may be. For actual vocals, for the majority of songs (except "Dogs") we have Roger Waters. Like usual his voice is great, and really expresses the emotion he has towards the songs. As soon as he starts singing you directly get into the mood of the album. On the song "Dogs" David Gilmour has lead vocals. Likewise, he is also great and does a good job conveying the emotion through his voice. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is overall amazing. Like most Pink Floyd albums, the more you listen to and focus on it, the more you get from it. Each time through you hear something different that gets your attention, making this album easily a good one to listen to multiple times. Although the mood staying the same for the album is generally a good thing, sometimes you just feel like you want a break from it. My favourite songs on this album are the three main tracks, and in this order: "Dogs", "Sheep", and "Pigs (Three Different Ones)". Each track is great individually, and they are also great all together, making it easier for casual listeners as well. This is up there with some of Pink Floyd's other great albums, so if you liked those and haven't had a chance to hear this one, do so now! If you aren't a fan of the classic Pink Floyd era, you should probably stay away from this. Otherwise, it's a great choice. // 9

More Pink Floyd reviews rating latest review