Delicate Sound Of Thunder Review

pink floyd: Delicate Sound Of Thunder
Release Date: Nov 22, 1988
Label: Columbia
Genres: Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Hard Rock, Album Rock
This is professional, competent, and, often, even enjoyable music, yet, like many souvenirs, it never once feels necessary.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.4
 7.9
 8.8
Delicate Sound Of Thunder Reviewed by: someone_not_you, on july 25, 2007

Sound: I was going to review Pulse before this one, but I think it's important to fill this tiny discography gap before proceeding with that review. Pink Floyd currently holds the distinction of being one of the most bootlegged bands in man's history. "The Man and the Journey" suites? Bootlegged. BBC sessions? Bootlegged. 1972 pre-relaese DSOTM? Bootlegged to death. So, why suddenly Gilmour & Co. decided to release a 'somewhat unnecessary' live album documenting the world tour in promotion for "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", 19 years after the best Floyd live release ever? But hell, this is sure not a really bad purchase. I gotta confess something. I still can't find a copy of this on CD, but I own a vinyl, which only lacks "Us and Them", and has a slightly tracklisting change on the third and fourth sides (second CD), so you may not complain. As for the first half, it's dull. It opens with an emotionless "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", followed by a pretty good version of "Learning to Fly". Then, the band throws almost half an hour of renditions of the worst moments of AMLOR ("Round and Around", "The Dogs of War"). OK, extended performances of "Sorrow" and "On the Turning Away" appear to save the day, but otherwise is the weakest part of the album. Then, fortunately, comes the second half, and all the problems of the first are redeemed, cause they're performing the classics! An amazing "One of These Days", a powerful rendition of "Time" (without "Breathe"'s reprise), an OK "Money" and an extended "Another Brick In The Wall" are on the third side. But the fourth side is the best moment of the record. First, a not-so-different from the original but still great "Wish You Were Here". Then, the best moment: "Comfortably Numb". OK, perhaps the vocals aren't so "great" without Waters, but the centerpiece here is the solo. Oh, and a crunchy version of "Run Like Hell" to close the set. It's not a bad album, after all. // 8

Lyrics: However, I have a major complain about the record: some of these songs are performed in the same way as they did in the studio. And that's one major problem of some live albums by artists. You know, meanwhile "Ummagumma"'s live half had extended performances of everything, with amazing passages of improvisation, this one depends on the lights show and on "Mr. Screen" (that giant screen Floyd used since "Dark Side"'s 1973 tour). Oh, and the lyrics, or better, the "singer skills", are low. David's voice, for example, on "Shine On" seems to lack a lot of emotion. // 6

Overall Impression: As the final word, I want to state that the greatest thing about Floyd's live performances was the massive lights, fireworks, and else show that was going in the background. Way too much technology for you? Not my case. I recommend to buy the video version of this (It hasn't been released on DVD yet, unfortunately) to enjoy the visuals, otherwise, the sonics aren't that different from the studio originals. And by the way, I was going to give this a six, but guess I enjoy some live albums more than other people do. // 7

Delicate Sound Of Thunder Reviewed by: ctdguyiam, on june 17, 2008

Sound: Pink Floyd has always had a strange sound of their own that make them stand out from other bands. The songs on this two-disc album are all played live. While the music is wonderful, the songs lack extended improv solos that ususally make up a band's live album or DVD. Most of the show was controled by huge light set-ups instead of the music. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are genius. On each track, the lyrics go great with the music, and the lyrics contain so much meaning. But, the downside is that Gilmour is lacking a little emotion on some tracks. Gilmour, in my opinion, is a fantastic singer. But, as everybody knows, everyone has a bad night at some point. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is great. Disc one contains songs from the Gilmour era as disc two is all songs from the Waters era. Disc one contains songs such as "The Dogs Of War", "Learning To Fly", and "On The Turning Way". Disc two has songs like "Wish You Were Here", "Money", and "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)". This album is definitely worth purchasing. The booklet has many photos of the performances. You get to see the lights, lasers, and fireworks used on stage. There are also pictures of all the band members. This album has a great track listing, inspiring lyrics, fantastic music, and some pretty cool photos. I definitely advise people to buy this album. Even if you're not a big fan and only know a few songs. // 9

More Pink Floyd reviews rating latest review