Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd Review

artist: pink floyd date: 01/18/2006 category: compact discs
pink floyd: Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd
Release Date: Nov 6, 2001
Label: Capitol
Genres: Album Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Psychedelic, Hard Rock, British Psychedelia
Echoes is a double-CD collection of some of Pink Floyd's best songs. It's also a fascinating document of the band's history.
 Lyrics: 8.5
Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd Reviewed by: Stinging_Acid, on january 05, 2006

Sound: Pink Floyd is hard to describe. It has been described as a rock orchestra, I think that holds very true. It's psychedelic rock for sure, designed merely for the purpose of chilling out by yourself. Don't look for any party tracks here, unless you invite a couple of your stoner friends over. Pink Floyd has a sound that, if you like it, never gets old. You can find all of Pink Floyds best stuff here. There is stuff from their earliest days, where they sound remarkably like the Beatles, i.e. "See Emily Play," to their last tracks to be put out. Who can forget "Money," or the aurally pleasing "Hey You." Each song is its own, with its own story. This album shows off the best of Pink Floyd. // 10

Lyrics: Many of the songs lyrics sound like gibberish, in a good way, if that's possible. However there are some very loaded songs filled with personal meaning, like "When The Tigers Broke Free," and "Us And Them." Some songs I think are meant to be an inside joke, that no one else is supposed to get, like "Arnold Lane." Then there are the songs that make no sense at all but are so beautifully written that you are compelled to listen, like "Astronomy Domine." "Marooned" has no lyrics at all, but makes up for it with deep instrumentals. There is the occasional song that is fairly boring, but you have to look past them, and at the lyrical brilliance of songs like "Time." // 8

Overall Impression: Disc 1: 01. Astronomy Domine - no easily recognizable reason to this song, but well put together none the less, with realy trippy music and even trippier lyrics. 02. See Emily Play - very much like the Beatles. Not the most amazing song. 03. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives - merely a prelude to the next song. 04. Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2 - this was a big one, maybe one of their most recognizable hits. "We don't need no education." 05. Echoes - a beautiful song, vocally, lyrically, and instrumentally. 06. Hey You - another song from "The Wall." This is one of my favorites with excellent bass playing. 07. Marooned - not much substance to this song, all instrument, albeit fairly good instrument. 08. The Great Gig In The Sky - one of the best vocal songs, even if there are very few real words. Off of the album "Dark Side Of The Moon." 09. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun - this song sounds very interesting, ghostly vocals and background music. 10. Money - fun, while at the same time conveying a deeper message. Great beat throughout the song, may just have you tapping your feet. 11. Keep Talking - this sounds like a very personal song, interesting to listen to, but not the best. 12. Sheep - deeper message in this song, but if you overlook it is a very fun song with the vocals blending with music seamlessly. 13. Sorrow - long and boring in my opinion. Disc 2: 01. Shine On You Crazy Diamond - very long song, 17 minutes and 32 seconds. It takes a long time to get into the actual meat of this song but once you do it's pretty decent. Made specifically one of the founding members of Pink Floyd. 02. Time - one of the coolest songs with some of the best lyrics out there. 03. The Fletcher Memorial Home - isn't a great song, but has a deep meaning, with lyrics that are very full of imagery. 04. Comfortably Numb - one of the best solos of any Floyd song. This song is on the topic of drugs, and you feel like you are high when you listen to it. 05. When The Tigers Broke Free - very personal, chronicling the memories of the death of the writers father. 06. One Of These Days - "One of these days I'll cut you up into little pieces" are the only lyrics in this 5 minute song. Cool sounding music, but not the best. 07. Us And Them - another personal, death of father song. 08. Learning To Fly - sounds very poppy and synthetic. 09. Arnold Lane - another early song, difficult to understand, and lacking the grace of other songs. 10. Wish You Were Here - an amazing song, lyrically and instrumentally. 11. Jugband Blues - very strange, again, lacking the finesse of other songs, but does have its quaintness to it. 12. High Hope - another boring song to me. 13. Bike - a love song, I think. Another song that makes you feel high. If you like Pink Floyd, and don't own all their stuff already, then you should definitely pick this up. If I lost this album, I would definitely buy it again. I love the fact that it has songs from every Pink Floyd era and their best stuff. The cover is a work of art, and included is a booklet with original art work, and lyrics to all the songs, this is also a great collector's item. I was very happy when I bought this, and hope it makes you happy too. // 10

Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 18, 2006

Sound: Here we have everything of Pink Floyd ranging from their first album in 67 to their last one in 94. As a result the sound and style varies considerably depending on each era and the changes are mainly due to different members; technology and quality and also the relationship between members when the various songs. Without beeting around the bush by far the best era is the 1970's classic line up of Gilmour, Mason, Waters and Wright between the albums "Meddle" and "The Wall." Here the sound and music quality is a great balance of epic and subtle, complex and simple, clear yet falable. In contrast the other ears before and after leave a little more to be desied but depend on taste. This is where the title "The Best of Pink Floyd" becomes a little debatable (apparently when some of the group briefly met to discuss the tracks personal pride and ego towards certain songs was more important than musicality and quality). Pre "Meddle" we have Syd Barrett songs and then the transition towards prog where the Floyd sound a lot like the Beatles though just plain wierder. The transition period certainly features a little bit of over experimentation. The post "Wall" era features firstly stuff off "The Final Cut" which is not very good and is Water's tribute to his father. It isn't musical. The post Water's era features tracks from "A Momentary..." which in my opinion sounds a little comercial and "'80s." However tracks from "The Division Bell" are of great improvement sound wise and songwriting wise. Despite some of the over done rubbish the pure genious and brilliance of everything else makes anyone overlook this. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics must also be divided up into the 3 lyric writers - one for each era. Barrett - the Floyd's singles and first album feature Syd Barrett's lyris which can be summed up as just plain wierd. Syd is likely to have been on some sort of acid at the time of writing or just the plain imaginative flow he could get when music was involved. They are certainly the highlight of the songs written by him. His voice reminds you a little of Mr Lennon, yet it is great and a good lesson. Waters - the best and most of the lyrics are written by Roger Waters. Simple and poetic whilst to the point you have to love them. How Waters manages to create lyrics for songs that could easily stand on their own as spoken poems is a mystery. Of note is also I the singing quality of David Gilmour and Waters himself. Gilmour has a soothy and relaxing voice that totally fits his guitar playing whilst Waters has a slightly more alarming voice that makes you listen ("Sheep" is a good example). Gilmour - well certainly has the weakest lyric writing skills but someone had to do it. I think his were done with help from someone called Anthony Moore. They are adequate and quite good in places but weak on songs like "Sorrow." // 9

Overall Impression: Pink Floyd are unique. You know (or should know) them when you here them and only Radiohead have come close to creating a sound like them. However you have to think that their could be better representations of "The Best Of." However the real gems have not been missed out but less songs from "A Momentary Lapse..." and "The Final Cut" would not have hurt if exchanged for "Run Like Hell," "Breathe" and "Have A Cigar." Here are some of the best tracks: Echoes - this is where PF became PF as we know it. Everything is on this track: the slow moving melodies; the restrained guitar solos; funky jams with dirty hammond organ on stand by; the sound effects; lots of delay. What more do you want in 16mins? Pity the full version was not used here. Comfortably Numb - solo. It's epic. You have to love it and this is a song that really is perfect in every way. Shine On You Crazy Diamond - PF's tribute to Syd Barrett in 1975 this is only parts 1-5 out of 9 parts in total, and even that has been cut down (it still makes 17 mins). This is my favourate song ever and though I prefer the full version its still great. Other songs of note include the Dark Side Of The Moon classics: "Time," "Great Gig In The Sky," "Money" and "Us And Them" which make the middle section (almost half) of my favourite album ever. For an introduction to Pink Floyd I would suggest a few listens to "DSOTM" and "Wish You Were Here" because they are allround near perfect. This album I would more class as an expansion into more Floyd territory; love "Shine on..." Want to know how good "Echoes" is? Although flawed in some areas and perhaps not entirely fulfilling the role og "Best Of" this is still worth more than a listen or two - or a hundred simply because of the gems and moments of genious that no one should ignore. // 9

More Pink Floyd reviews rating latest review