Meddle Review

pink floyd: Meddle
Released: November 11, 1971
Genre: Rock
Styles: Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Psychedelic, Album Rock
Meddle spends most of its time with sonic textures and elongated compositions.
Meddle Reviewed by: SomeEvilDude, on december 08, 2005

Sound: A very changing, yet original and definitive sound. The Pink Floyd are one of those bands that no matter how much their sound changes per various songs and albums, you know it's them. The album starts with a chill wind blowing, and leads into Roger Waters two-note bass riff, with lots of drum fills around the main chords, backing up the bass on guitar and keyboard. Nick Mason's only vocal line in the Floyd's entire catalogue here comes into play (One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces) in a growly voice, before the song soars into a branching onto heavy rock sound, with some great slide soloing by David Gilmour. In all, One Of These Days is a good opener song to the album. Next comes the slow and reflective song Pillow Of Winds. Some beautiful acoustic guitar and slide work by Gilmour, coupled with some very effective bass slides from Waters. The vocals are delivered clearly, and beautifully, as is Gilmour's way. The song is slow, and has very reflective, almost melancholy feel to it. Next is Fearless; quite an upbeat song. Light guitar and vocal work from Gilmour, with some a Liverpool football club chant interspersed to the background during the intro, and played solo at the end of the song. Quite a childish song in sound, but hauntingly beautiful. Next on the list is San Tropez; a slightly upbeat, almost jazzy sounding song. Very related to the title - the song gives you the impression of a Spanish or Carribean island in the sun, and ones enjoyment if there. Waters sings the lead, and while he's not as good a singer as Gilmour, the delivery is still very good. Nice acoustic slide and piano solo in the middle. Now comes Seamus. Where to start? Firstly, this song is one of the Floyd's most under-rated and under-appreciated songs, possibly in their entire catalogue. At the same time, it's one of their most disliked songs. A twelve bar blues piece, about a dog named Seamus, very reminiscent of the Barrett-era, but simultaneously different from it with Gilmour's distinct acoustic touch. Finally comes Echoes. On the original vinyl, this song took up the entire second side, and why shouldn't it have done? Clocking in a healthy 23: 31 minutes, this piece is truly epic. And even that is an understatement. The song begins with some submarine-like wailing, and leads into an organ backdrop over some lovely guitar work. Beautiful harmonisation of the vocals by Gilmour and Richard Wright, extremely haunting hammond organ background, a powerful sliding bassline and a toneful, soulful and emotional guitar solo make up the first 'segment' of the song. After, comes a very interesting musical jam, with some fantastic guitar riffs in-between each part of the jam, to spice it up a bit. Then comes the pyschadelic part; wailing, very similar to that of a submarine, is played for a good few minutes. Most consider this to be boring and unnessecary, but others think it fits well into the context of the song, yadda yadda yadda. Finally, the song rounds of nicely with a final verse/'chorus' and some haunting organ chords, splashed with some quiet and beautiful guitar parts to exit. The song ends with a wind blowing, the same way the entire album started. As far as the sound of this album goes, it's fairly diverse, but within its boudaries. // 10

Lyrics: Very good lyrically. One Of These Days, has on vocal line, which isn't particularly great, and loses some points. The Liverpool football chant in Fearless isn't particularly, good either. Fearless has some very childish lyrics, and Seamus's lyrics as incredibly reminiscent of the Barrett days, but also costitutes what a stereotypical 12-bar-blues song is. A Pillow Of Winds has some nice imagery, and some beautiful sounding lyrics, but doesn't seem to mean anything in particular. Entirely based on interpretation. San Tropez is similar; it has some nice imagery, but at the same time is childish, and even meaningless. But it does get the island style image across. Finally, Echoes. Is there anything this song can't do? The lyrics are fantastic. They are, like A Pillow Of Winds, entirely down to interpretation, with no seemingly intended meaning behind them. However, this is considered by many to be the bands' best song lyrically. Hell, musically as well, but that's for another time. Echoes' lyrics have absolutely wonderful imagery, but are incredibly vague. There are any amount of meanings that anyone can draw from any part of the song, which makes it so wonderful; it can be accessed by anyone, related to by anyone, and can reach so many people on so many different levels. On the whole, the lyrics could be more specific in some areas, but the vagueness works fantastically well for Echoes. // 9

Overall Impression: Personally, I feel that this is the best album by Pink Floyd. It certainly marked an era; they had almost completely left the Barrett side of their music, and had already almost perfected their sound which so many people would come to love on the two most mainstream and liked following albums (Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were). An often overlooked, this is one of the Floyd's most under-rated albums, and I can't see why. It's sound in versatile yet within its own boundaries, the lyrics while vague and sometimes childish - are beautiful, and the music as per usual with Floyd is just lacks any sort of description really. No words can express how fantastic the band, their music and this album is, and even that is an understatement. If this were to slip out of my possession, I would definately buy it again. This is a must-have for any Floyd fan, and progressive rock fan, and any pyschadelic rock fan. It can be accessed quite easily by many other types of musical people, but probably won't be as appreciated. // 10

Meddle Reviewed by: floydDoors, on june 24, 2004

Sound: The sound of Meddle is very layered and lengthy. A very thick, textured, largely instrumental work that stands out as Pink Floyd's best album in between Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Dark Side of the Moon. Richard Wright's keyboards show a lot, setting the backdrop for some very impressive guitar/bass work by David Gilmour and Roger Waters. Meddle in general is a very pleasing album to put on as a mood piece. The music flows very nicely with the exception of San Tropez, which is a little off in terms of a complete album sound. I find it very good, as I'm a large Pink Floyd fan, but newcomers to the band won't be so thrilled with the lack of excitement. // 8

Lyrics: I really enjoy the lyrics on Meddle. I will concentrate mostly on the track "Echoes", because, hell, on the original album it took up a whole side! "One Of These Days," the surging opener has no lyrics, spare in the middle if you listen closely you can hear drummer Nick Mason say through an amplifier, "One of these days I'm going to chop you into little pieces!" "A Pillow Of Winds" flows nicely, but the Carnaby Street-styled "San Tropez" is someplace in between "Arnold Layne" and Syd Barrett's "Gigolo Aunt," and hints at Waters' solo work like "The Pro's and Con's of Hitchiking". Finally, Echoes! Since there are hardly any lyrics in the song, it's hard to judge. Yet, the airy delivery by Gilmour and Wright give the song such a serene feeling. "Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air," starts the song (after 2 minutes or so of instrumental music) you can almost see the bird flying slowly across the sky. // 6

Overall Impression: If this album were taken from me I'd grab it back, cause it's just that great. I love the musical delievery and the way the lyrics flow so well. Definitely a great buy. // 8

Meddle Reviewed by: TravisWongPG, on january 13, 2006

Sound: Pink Floyd, the '60s rock band, delivered this amazing album in 1971. The album, Meddle, which shows the bands diversity was recored at EMI Studios, Abbey Road and Morgan Studios in London. The album deserves its name, as it shows a meddle of different styled songs made by this band. The sound on this album is top-notch. Gilmour, Waters, and Wright all take part in the vocal aspect of this album. Gilmours guitar work is, as usual, without equal, and Mason used Meddle to prove that he was one of the best drummers around. Although Water and Wright seem to take backseat on this album (as far as intrumental) their creative work on songs like "One Of These Days" and "Echoes" cannot go without recognition. The diversity of this album is clearly seen from the changes in songs track to track. Starting with the creepy and eerie tune of "One Of These Days" and then shifting to a soothing, melodic ambience of "A Pillow Of Winds." Even incorporating a tropical-style theme by "San Tropez" and then shifting back to a straight blues song by "Seamus." And of course, no Floyd fan can ignore the powerhouse song that is "Echoes," which some claim to be one of the most favoured Floyd songs of all time. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics flow perfectly on this album. Waters' skill as a songwriter are areguably some of the best ever in the music business, and was definitly the best for its generation ('70s). The lyrics fit perfectly with the music they are playing, and I dont think they could have done a better job in that sense. Gilmour, Waters, and Wright are the vocalists on this album. Gilmour and Waters handle most of the album, and they do a spectacular job. Wright collaborated his voice with Gilmour on the track "Echoes" and it fit perfectly to the tune. // 10

Overall Impression: Meddle is by far the most underrated album by the Floyd. Musically diverse, strong, and exciting, but still having the smooth, melodic, relaxing feel that we all associate with Pink Floyd. This album takes a little geting used to, unlike The Wall you can just pop in and listen to at a party, this album is more of a solo listen. When I first listened to it, "One Of These Days" turned me off instantly, but since I was in Korea at the time, my music choices (especially of the english persuasion) were limited. After a few times listening to it, it began to grow and grow on me. Now I have nothing but good to say about it. You must approach this album with an open mind in order to understand the full effect and see how much work the Floyd but into this album. I love so much about this album, especially the lyrics and drumming. One thing, the only thing, I hate about this album is the 17-18 minute long break between verses in "Echoes." The music becomes to haunted house style for me. Some say it is used as a crescendo to build up to the last verse, personally I would have taken it out. Overall, if I lost it or someone stole it I would be at the record store in 2.2 seconds buying another copy. I highly recommend getting it. // 9

Meddle Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 19, 2006

Sound: The impeccable production of Pink Floyd's albums that would later peak with 1973's masterpiece Dark Side Of The Moon but still last long in their career, gained momentum in 1971's Meddle. Here, David Gilmour, 3 years after replacing troubled genious Syd Barrett, builds his reputation as an incredible lead guitarist while the rhythm section provides a colorful background for him to steal the show. // 10

Lyrics: David Gilmour sang most, if not all, of this astounding record, and with soothing vocals on songs like "San Tropez", and the epic, brilliant "Echoes" he does a wonderful job of easing Pink Floyd into different areas of music. The lyrics are standard Floyd: mellow, peaceful, and often aome British wit thrown in (Seamus). Gilmour's voice is smooth and superb, and it fits the songs impeccably. // 10

Overall Impression: This album can stand up to Floyd's best, and it most certainly does, mostly due to the 23 minute epic "Echoes" that has cemented its status as my favorite Floyd songs. All the traacks are standout, and I have no critisism for this wonderful masterpiece. // 10

Meddle Reviewed by: aenimafist, on july 10, 2007

Sound: This is the album made around DSOTM. It was either before or after it and was I think after but I could be wrong. The Floyd bring an interesting sound to this album as it starts of with the rocking instrumental "One of These Days". Followed by "Pillow of Winds", which is a song based on a few chords, Floyd makes a soft impression. Fearless is maybe one of the best songs on the album the way it displays it's chord progression. San Tropez sounds kind of like a beach house type song that makes you think of going on a vacation. Seamus had to be something to fill up the rest of the time on side one because it is very short and silly. Echoes is a 26 minute epic that utilizes sound effects and up and down riffs to inspire the listener. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are not really a concern of mine but I like how in One of These Days, all he says is "one of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces". It adds a bit of humor to the song. The singing is best on Pillow of Winds. Waters does a great job here with the vocals by making them just hang there with some suspense. The part has a great melody too. Echoes has lyrics that make me really ponder what is being said because of the words that are used. Roger Waters does most if not all of the vocals on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: If you liked DSOTM, you will like this album no questions asked. is is an essential to any Pink Floyd record collection and should have sold more than it initially did. Buy it for anybody even if they are not Floyd fans because they soon will be after thier gift has been recieved. If it were known to me how good this album was, I may have purchased it before I bought Dark Side of the Moon. Easy A+ for the Floyd here. // 10

Meddle Reviewed by: someone_not_you, on july 20, 2007

Sound: Ah, Meddle. It was 1971, and Pink Floyd released the follow-up to the controversial "Atom Heart Mother". Well, there you go, although DSOTM wasn't even an idea around this time (until the end of that year it was, though), we have already that "classic Seventies Floyd" touch. It was a major improvement of the previous album, and the start of the greatest era the band presenced. I'm not feeling too creative now, so, it's done song-by-song. Well, side-by-side. Well, on the original LP, this one was filled with a 23-and-a-half-minutes epic called "Echoes", which is insignificant... NOT! Is possibly the greatest song they ever recorded/composed/produced. I love everything about it. The starting, high-pitched piano note, the simple but effective bass, the duet between piano and guitar. The drumming. And that's only 2 minutes into the song! Then Gilmour and Wright start singing in an incredibly similar way. After two verses, and some descending guitar riff between, we enter into the instrumental section. Heck, they are not the most trained musicians in the world, but they know how to create an atmosphere and make it last long enough. After some solos and riffing, we enter into a funkier instrumental section, with incredible organ sections, and "simplistic" yet chilling guitar solo by Gilmour. BTW, haven't you noticed that this solo was ripped-off by The Edge for U2's "Bullet the Blue Sky"? Well, that's my opinion... After this "funky" section, there's what some considered the only problem with the song: the "whale" section. Is just Gilmour with his guitar and a wah-wah pedal connected with the cables reversed, but for me it summons you into the "ocean themes" of the song. It's not so unlistenable, and serves as interlude for the best moment: at the 15 minutes, the song starts building up, first the organ, second the "ping" again followed by a muted guitar, then the drums and bass come in, then Mason plays a bit louder until. The song climaxes with glissando riffs played on the guitar. Then, we return (this time with a distorted riff) to the build-up, until in a sudden moment, we enter to the third verse. This time, followed by a powerful version of the descending riff, repeated three times. After that, the song starts slowing down with wind (resembling that one present at the start of the album) to finish the album in a such memorable way. // 10

Lyrics: In this album, Roger finally finds the right path as lyricist. OK, he was already singing about the subject of mental ilness on "Atom Heart Mother's" 'If', and "San Tropez" isn't a pretty good spot, but Echoes is pure poetry, and is also when Roger finally establishes his ties with songwriting. Oh, and "Echoes" is a song in which lyrics and music are in perfect equilibrium. This aspect is a bit weak, particularly since it doesn't has a concept as seen two years later, but nevertheless good. // 9

Overall Impression: Meddle opened the path for the Floyd to rock in the Seventies, sonically and lyrically. A strong album. Recommended specially if you want to dig some more Floyd after hearing the albums released between 1973 and 1979. And one of the band's best albums. What else can you ask for? // 10

More Pink Floyd reviews rating latest review