The Final Cut Review

pink floyd: The Final Cut
Released: Mar 21, 1983
Genre: Rock
Styles: Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Album Rock
The Final Cut extends the autobiography of The Wall, concentrating on Roger Waters' pain when his father died in World War II.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.8
 8.6
The Final Cut Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on april 19, 2010

Sound: The Final Cut. The last Pink Floyd record ever. Under the instruction of Roger Waters, anyway, and personally, I enjoyed 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason' and 'The Division Bell' quite a bit, despite it being very much NOT Pink Floyd-like at all, but so many people consider The Final Cut to be the last Floyd record, so I thought the title was appropriate. After the success of 'The Wall,' and having stamped their names as one of the greatest bands of all time, Roger Waters (who, at this point, basically owned the band) went in the same concept-album direction he'd been doing and explored the loss and tragedy of war more explicitly than in 'The Wall.' Many of the tracks were actually demos for 'The Wall' which never made... Umm... The final cut. He also went in a musically different direction than a lot of the stuff we'd heard from the band in the past, and went more along the lines of 'The Wall' tracks like "Mother," "Is There Anybody Out There," "Bring The Boys Back Home," etc, to form some sort of story about a guy going off to war and a bit about his son crying because his pa's dead. Something like that. If you've listened to those tracks, you'll have a good idea of what this record sounds like--love it or hate it, I personally think it was a good direction for any band but this one; a step further in the same direction and we'd be listening to a different band entirely, much like with 'Lapse.' While it does sound great and all, it's not really like any of the other Pink Floyd releases, and so some of the fans of works like 'Dark Side of the Moon' and the more classic records may not like this so much, but I can't see why the casual rock fan wouldn't enjoy it fully. There's not much to compare it to; I've yet to hear artists that sound like Pink Floyd as it is (besides the copycats and the bands they say they were influenced by) and this record makes it even harder, unless we go to some kind of musical stage production about war, or Waters' solo work. One of the few complaints I have is the inexplicable lack of heart-wrenching Gilmour solos in some places. Where'd all the great guitar go? Hello? We've just had great riffs like "Comfortably Numb," "Hey You," "Another Brick in the Wall," etc, and now we've got next-to-nothing? I'm starting to understand why the rest of the band hates Roger so much. Gilmour is present, but not as much as in previous works. Notable exceptions are "Your Possible Pasts" and "Not Now John." As a whole, the record sounds mostly interesting and somewhat original, and I'd give it an 7/10. While I think it's a great album, a lot of Pink Floyd fans aren't really feeling the love. // 7

Lyrics: Alright, I'll just talk about the singing for a second before I get to the lyrics. We all know David Gilmour is a better singer than Roger--and neither is incredible. We're not dealing with Josh Groban or anyone here. This is Pink Floyd. So, it goes without saying that the singing isn't exactly fantastic. It works for the genre, sure, but as we all know, you don't go to Floyd for great vocals. The good thing about Roger's vocals, however, is the sheer emotion he tends to back it up with--"Don't Leave Me Now" from 'The Wall' comes to mind. The lyrics themselves are also what you'd expect from Roger: that is to say, interesting and fairly well-written. Whether or not this is one of their more popular releases, Pink Floyd keeps their head(s) screwed on tight and stay in the same lyrically creative mindset as we would expect them to. The biggest annoyance here is probably "Not Now John," where you've got the female chorus we see again later on (see: 'The Division Bell') in some of Pink Floyd's shadier moments. It's entertaining to hear the girls singing "F--- all that" over and over again, just because I can imagine Roger sitting there, sort of waving his baton like the composer he evidently thinks he is, conducting them like some sort of obscene chior director. This being all about war, many of the songs have an expected air of misery about, which is actually pretty great. It would've been interesting to see this made into a film, too. "One of The Few" is tear-jerking like very few songs are, and the way "When the Tigers Broke Free" proceeds it is spot-on. "Paranoid Eyes" is highly overlooked; it's a very nice outro for the first half of the record. Why the 6 rating? Well, because it's not perfect. Political ranting is just not doing it for me with this thing. "Bring the Boys Back Home" was enough. // 6

Overall Impression: Firstly, don't expect to hear David singing at all with this record, because you will be highly disappointed. Secondly, I'm sure you know how people always say they wish celebrities would keep their politics to themselves? Hah. Yeah, me too. Of course, we all know Roger Waters to be above that (as well as... Well, everything and everyone, as far as he's concerned). Here, he howls all about "the wily Japanese" and "nips" and how they ruined his childhood or something. I wonder if there are any Japanese fans left? Well, that's basically the entire album, just with more emotion and a few interesting musical curves. Great tracks like "The Fletcher Memorial Home," "The Gunner's Dream" (sax solo is excellent), and "The Hero's Return" are all over, and are, of course, all over-emotional. This can be good or bad. With emotion, however, comes political ranting. It gets old. Emotion, not opinion, drives music. The only somewhat up-beat track is probably the outro, "Two Suns In The Sunset," which makes me wonder if the band has seen Star Wars too many times (if there's such a thing as too much Star Wars--maybe they and Brian May, a known fan, get together on weekends? ), referring, of course, to the fact that Tatooine has two suns... Anyway, the song itself is about nuclear apocalypse or something, but we're past that. Conclusion, then? It may not be as satisfying a story as 'The Wall' or 'Tommy, ' but this is within my top five. Though far from perfection, it is definitely highly underrated. Even as a stand-alone record, this thing keeps its ground, and hasn't really aged. Certainly an interesting listen, definitely one of the better theatrical albums of our time. The best tracks are "The Final Cut," "When the Tigers Broke Free," and "The Gunner's Dream." // 7

The Final Cut Reviewed by: Constantine, on january 17, 2006

Sound: This album is based off of Roger's Views on war, and seems to be spoken through one who has been through it. It sounds as if the person is next to you, recollecting the horrors of the things he saw, and heard in war. Especially in The Gunner's Dream. Ultimately, The sound is mesmerizing. Once again, it excels in The Gunner's Dream, where Roger's Voice melts into a moving Saxophone solo. In Your Possible Pasts however, some of the chords don't seem to flow paticularly well into each other. Overall, The sound is Magnificent. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are, at some times, difficult to understand, because they are so full of meaning. Water's voice seems to full of emotion throughout, and blends extremely well with the music. Roger Waters is at his best with these magnificent lyrics. Every song flows perfectly into the next. // 10

Overall Impression: This is personally my favorite of all of Pink Floyd's work. It just gives me goosebumps at some points. Hell, I get goosebumps whenever Waters seems to well up with emotion in every song. My favorite songs would have to be; The Gunner's Dream, The Fletcher Memorial Home, The Final Cut, and Two Suns In The Sunset. My least favorite song would have to be; Your Possible Pasts, as some of the chords don't seem to fit where they are placed. If I lost this CD, I would most definately go out and buy it again, it is simply incredible. // 10

The Final Cut Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 25, 2005

Sound: Soft, sad, acoustic, druggy, spacey, heavy and up-beat. It's great headphone music. I can fall asleep to this awesome album everynight and I never get bored. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are very political and very deep. The whole album is about war and Pink Floyd's view on war. The lyrics fit perfectly with the kind of music that is played. And also when Roger Waters sings he makes you really feel what they're trying to say. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is a very relaxed and political album. Compared to other Pink Floyd albums this has to be the softest albums. There's not that much hard rock in this album but there are some great solos by David Gilmore in this album. The thing that I love most about this album is that it has great intros and it goes from soft to hard then back to soft. It really has a great flow to it. And if you ask "is it worth my money to buy this album?" I would say "Yes!" It would not be a waste of money. And finally if you're wondering what songs are best I'll tell you: The Flectcher Memorial Home, Your Possible Pasts, One of the Few, The Gunner's Dream, Not Now John and Aw, hell they're all great! // 10

The Final Cut Reviewed by: TravisWongPG, on january 20, 2006

Sound: The Final Cut is a little bit different, if your expecting another Floyd album like DSoTM, or The Wall, dont look here. The Final Cut is a compilation of songs that Roger Waters had written with intentions for them to be on The Wall. This album was created at a time when Richard (Rick) Wright (keyboardist) was dismissed from the band. Almost ironicaly, it was the last album written as Pink Floyd with Waters in it. This album, I would say, is under the Pink Floyd name, but it is just a vessel for Waters' mind, most would cosider this a Waters solo album. In fact, Gilmours voice appears on only 1 track, "Not Now John" and he had to fight for that spot. Nick Mason probably had around a 1-5% contribution, Gilmour at around 10-15% and Waters all the rest. There is almost no percussion on this album... and the guitar - simple, few and far between. There is some good saxophone on this album though. Divided, the album is nothing, but when all the parts are put together. Somehow, it still comes out good and catchy. If you want an example of how this sounds, think "Vera" from The Wall. // 8

Lyrics: Its Roger Waters at his finest. Always with amazing songwriting talent, he pulls through again. He offers up a dark, dreary and sad set of songs, all of which deal with the war and the death of his father. You can tell from this album the Waters definitly has some serious issues with his dads death in World War 2, and, if you get the remastered version of this CD, you get the song "When The Tigers Broke Free," that explains in detail, the death of his fater. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, the album doesnt compare to Floyds other masterpieces, but it is still a well written and well performed CD that offers up a piece of Waters' mind. The sound isnt anything amazing, but the lyrics more than save it. Somehow, when you put it all together, it does sound good though. If it were lost or stolen. I would buy it if I had some spare money, but I wouldn't put in a 4 hour shift for it. // 8

The Final Cut Reviewed by: kyle62, on december 13, 2007

Sound: First off: I don't consider The Final Cut to be a 'Pink Floyd' LP, though by the same measure I'd happily rip out the larynx of anyone who'd call it a 'Roger Waters solo album'. So instead of debating authorship all day, isn't it easier to just accept the evasive 'by Roger Waters, performed by Pink Floyd' tag and be done with it? Good stuff. Regardless of who penned it, The Final Cut stands as one of the most powerful anti-war pieces of art ever created. If your favorite Floyd LP is 'Wish You Were Here' or 'Piper At The Gates' you'll find little to enjoy, gone are the lush synth arrangements and soaring guitar solos, leaving a dark and stripped-down vibe. Fans of 'Animals' and 'The Wall' will feel more at home, but it's still a huge leap. The production is superb and extensive use is made of piano and orchestra, but this time the musicianship is really just a canvas for Waters to paint his lyrical picture upon, in a thousand shades of grey. // 8

Lyrics: A good decision, since the songwriting is of a remarkably high standard throughout. At first it may seem like an uncomplicated collection of songs about war, but there are huge bubbling undercurrents of cynicism, depression and disillusionment which you can unpick and decipher a little more with each listen. The lyrics range from dark beauty ("Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes/I can barely define the shape of this moment in time"), to bleak pessimism ("In derelict sidings the poppies entwine/with cattle trucks lying in wait for the next time"), all the way through to grim apocalyptic acceptance ("Two suns in the sunset/ hmm, could be the human race is run"). Considering the album was originally intended to be the bricks missed out of The Wall, as it were, almost every track is a mini-masterpiece. The real standouts are 'The Fletcher Memorial Home', 'The Gunner's Dream', and the melodic title track, but as with most Pink Floyd the album is best enjoyed as a whole. Unusually it feels like every song has a definite purpose, with no filler what'soever. And adding 'When The Tigers Broke Free' to the reissue was a great move, it fits the flow of the album perfectly and seems to have found a suitable home at last. The only thing resembling old-school Floyd is 'Not Now John', it's reminiscent of Have A Cigar (as a sarcastic parody as much as anything) and is also the only track on which Gilmour sings lead. Not a bad track, by any means, but it doesn't quite fit and I reckon it's inclusion is a little two-finger-salute to anyone expecting a conventional pop record (Roger Waters gives the unnerving impression of having thought of absolutely everything in advance, like the baddie in a spy thriller). // 10

Overall Impression: It's impossible to write about The Final Cut without sounding pretentious, as is the case with anything that attempts to make sense of a subject so inherently stupid and unintelligible. It's dark, and maybe a bit too heavy for most to enjoy. It certainly requires your full attention and makes poor background 'white noise', unlike Wish You Were Here or Dark Side. It's not for easy listeners. It's not for the eternally cheerful. There's a good chance you'll listen and find it to be the tiresome, pretentious ramblings of a career egotist. But if the full power of the album hits you, it'll send a shiver down your spine and leave a mark across your soul. A work of genius, from one of the world's least likely philosophers. Highly recommended. // 9

The Final Cut Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 13, 2007

Sound: This Album Features a lot of piano work which is odd because the bands piano/keyboard player isn't on the album. Roger Waters is on vocals for every song except for parts of Not Now John. Normally this would be an issue, but in this album for some reason or another, Roger's vocal presentation is at its best. I think it would have been difficult for Gilmour to have the same passion with these songs due to the fact that they were very personal to Roger. The album also features David's dead on guitar delivery and mystisism, however it is much more scarce then in other Floyd work. the music sounds very crisp. the vocal delivery is outstanding. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are as meaningful as they are impactful. When the Tigers Broke Free is probobly one of the most emotional songs written by Waters. the Music fits quite well with the lyrics. As I said before Roger's vocal dilevery was dead on. At some points however it becomes apparent that Roger had written the lyrics before the actual music, which is common practice but somtimes it tends to drag slightly. Despite it's mild short-comings in the fuctionallity department, it doesn't take anything away for me. // 10

Overall Impression: The Final Cut is not really a Pink Floyd album as much as it is a Roger Waters solo effort featuring Gilmour and Mason. The lyrical flow is perfect in every way in my opinion, and I know that this is an unpopular view (most call album too "wordy"). I love every song on the album equally. if I had to pick a tip three, I would choose: Two Suns in the Sunset, The Fletcher Memorial Home, and The Gunner's Dream. but even with choosing those I would not be satisfied. if I lost this album I would be crushed. I would race to the nearest record store and buy it on any format they had available. // 10

The Final Cut Reviewed by: gtrplyr54, on november 25, 2005

Sound: The sound is very good. Roger Waters is at his best at singing and David Gilmour sung only one song. The sound was good with a great mixture of saxophone and guitar solos. The album is about Roger Water's father. Since it is basically a Roger solo album it didn't get as much recognition as the previous albums. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are spectacular as Roger always is. David didn't write any songs, all Roger. The lyrics are hard to understand and very deep as Roger always is. // 10

Overall Impression: If your a hardcore Pink Floyd fan I don't recommend it because it is not the sound Pink Floyd has always made. But the album is a very good one and if you do love Pink Floyd maybe you'll like it. It is a lot like Roger Water's solo albums (music-wise). This is a great album and I think it should be in your car's CD player. // 9

The Final Cut Reviewed by: pinkfloydian11, on september 01, 2006

Sound: It's 1983, Pink Floyd just finished releasing The Wall movie 3 years after the CD and tour.Rick Wright has been kicked out of the band. Roger Waters has taken over all creative control. This is both bad and good. The band puts together The Final Cut, a story about the Falklands War. This album has very little rock in it at all, it is very hard to descipher the instruments being used.The sound immediately goes from tranquil to loud heavy angriness. It has an almost classical opera sound to it.Although there's very little rock it is still good. The album opens with The Post War Dream which starts with news on the war over a radio, while an orchestra plays in the background. Then the very innocent depressing sound of Roger's voice mimicking him in his youth, asking his mom, "Tell me true, tell me why Jesus was crucified, was it for this that daddy died." This is talking about how the nazis who hated jews, who crucified Jesus, killed Roger's father in world war 2.Then after a while the drums come in and it get's loud and heavy. The next song is Your Possible Pasts which is scary and powerful."Don't you remember me, how we used to be, don't you think we should be closer!", this is Roger talking to his dead father. After this is One Of The Few which is only a minute long, but is extremely powerful with some of the most depressing lyrics ever. Then there's When The Tigers Broke Free which refers to the naxi war tanks, the tigers. This talks about the ruthlesness of war and how the men are just treated as "a few thousand ordinary lives" used to do whatever the government tells them to. Then it talks about the letter Roger found in his house about his Father's death and how the King only signed it with a stamp, once again showing they're only, "ordinary lives". Next is The Hero's Return which talks about childhood during the war. After this is The Gunner's Dream which talks about the man who shot his father and how no one cares that he took a life away, even more a parent for a 5 month old. "What's done is done". Thenn it talks about hope for a perfect world where, "no one kills the children anyone more". After this is Paranoid Eyes which talks about hiding behind your bulletproof mask, and if they break through, hide behind paranoid eyes. Next is Get Your Hands Off My Filthy Desrt which talks about how poloticians only want land or money, not the greater good of the people. Then The Fletcher Memorial Home which is about how children are only connected to their parents in the war through t.v. and radio."It's the only connection they feel." This song has an amazing guitar solo by David Gilmour that can't be better played. South Hampton is the following song that talks about the departure to the war. Then The Final Cut which talks about how if they had cut a few more men a few more people would still be here. This is the saddest song on the album.It's followed up with the rocker Not Now John, which talks about how during war times nothing else matters to the government, "F--k all that we gotta get on with this." This is followed with the finale Two Suns In The Sunset. This song is just amazing, it talks about how life is good and then death hits you and were viewed by the government as all ashes in the end. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are poetic and masterful, the greatest lyrics I've ever heard. The songs lyrics and music gel perfectly. The vocals on this album are literally perfect, they go from depression, to innocence, to anger, and to sarcasm.Lyrics are great, best ever. // 10

Overall Impression: This could be Floyd's best album ever. When listening to don't do anything else, just listen to the lyrics and it should bring a tear to your eye. The best songs are The Post War Dream, Fletcher Memorial Home, Not Now John and The Final Cut. There is nothing to hate about this album, it's amazing. If it were lost or stolen I'd buy it again. Must listen to it. // 10

More Pink Floyd reviews rating latest review