The Wall Review

Lyrics: 9.4
 9.2
 9.3
The Wall Reviewed by: redshademotion, on march 22, 2005

Sound: When I first popped The Wall into my CD player, I already had some experience with Pink Floyd. I owned Dark Side Of The Moon, and had already played it to death. I had borrowed Wish You Were Here from a friend, and had even heard a few of the more popular tracks off The Wall itself. However, none of that could prepare me for the musical journey I was about to embark on. From the Intro all the way to the song "Outside The Wall," two CDs and almost two hours later, I was hooked. No CD had ever made me feel so emotional. Not emotional in the "This guy relates to me about losing a girlfriend, whine whine", but just like I had been struck right at the soul. Pink Floyd is famous for using strange effects in their music. While the strange almost out of this world effects don't show up quite as much as they do on Dark Side Of The Moon, they still pop in occasionally. Throughout the CD, almost every track ends with talking, which usually leads right into the next song. These voices are from anywhere-a seemingly homeless person on the street, the army, old movies. On some tracks, an entire orchestra plays along with Pink Floyd. // 10

Lyrics: For those of you who don't know, The Wall tells a story (a story that is beautifully illustrated in the movie of the same name). It tells the story of a boy who grows into a man, and begins detaching himself from the world. He builds a "wall" around himself, shielding himself from the outside world. Throughout the CD, he builds the wall and then hides behind it. Meanwhile, being supported by what you could call voices in his head. When he finally lets a bit of emotion escape through his walls, the voices then put him on trial, for the crime of being human. It's an amazing CD with an amazing story, which really is quite deep and exploits the weakness and insecurities of the human race. Singing switches periodically between David Gilmour and Roger Waters, and their contrast in voice really helps set the mood. For the most part the singing goes in perfectly with the music, but there are a few spots where it kind of trips over itself. Waters and Gilmour are both amazing vocalist, who both sing with a lot of intensity and emotion. // 10

Overall Impression: Pink Floyd is not my favorite band. That slot would probably fall to Led Zeppelin. However, despite that, I would be hard pressed to find a single CD by anyone that I thought was better than the Wall. It's bursting with innovation, creativity, and emotion. In my opinion, Dark Side Of The Moon, which was probably Floyd's more popular album, doesn't come close. Nothing does. I honestly believe the Wall to be the best CD I've ever heard. Throughout the two CDs songs like "Mother" will soothe the Bob Marley fan in you. "Goodbye Blue Sky" is perfect for hard days when you're reminiscing on better times. "Hey You" can satisfy the emo side of you, who's upset over your break up with your most recent girlfriend. "Is There Anybody Out There?" provides a beautiful and haunting guitar solo. "Comfortably Numb," "In the Flesh" there are so many great songs on here. Most CDs have a few great songs, and then a lot of filler. The Wall has no throw away tracks. Every track is its own unique artistic expression. If I ever lost this CD, I'd gladly buy it back, despite the hefty $35 price tag. When it comes down to it, the Wall is one of those CDs that make you appreciate music as an art, and not just entertainment. // 10

The Wall Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on august 06, 2009

Sound: It may seem a bit nostalgic, not to mention 20-years-late, of me to post a review for Pink Floyd's gold-laden masterpiece, but I think that, this one time, I can plead "I wasn't alive" and get away with it. Indeed, back in the day, as my father would say, "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" and "Another Brick In The Wall Part II" got just as much radio play as "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies" does today, that is, far too much. It's hits like this, however, that shaped our culture, and at least the former duo got airtime for actually being good, so, in short, I guess what I'm trying to say is that The Wall is a good record. Like...something...that is good. With David Gilmour. This all being said, let's get cracking. If you were either waiting on your own parents to meet and conceive you, much like myself, or put yourself into a coma in the mid-seventies and early-eighties (and, if you did, I'll assume you're terminally STUPID), and don't know what The Wall is, it is a concept album, a rock opera, which pulls off the sub-genre so perfectly, it's like Roger Waters and the gang were smoking magic when they wrote it. You'll hear many older rock fans say that this record was not as revolutionary as Pink Floyd's earlier hit, Dark Side of the Moon. If anyone ever tells you this, you have my permission to shove DSOTM up their butt and tell them otherwise--after all, the two records are so different, it's hard to really compare. Whereas Dark Side had so much blatant sound and awesome sax solos, etc etc, The Wall is a more modern, down-to-earth, organized rock sound. Less weird, more...bloody awesome. Anyway, it's just as good, if not better, and the whole concept album is so epic and emotional that I had a hard time not crying when I went and saw the film. Yes, FILM. A great film, too. So, the sound of The Wall. Yes, it ranges from bluesy to hard, tear-filled solos by Gilmour, and very nice vocals (by which I mean perfectly average, but that comes later) from Waters that go so well with the character that I'll have to mention it later. Twice. The record has lots of piano, orchestra, and a lot less sound clippage than Dark Side, though there is quite a bit of television on both discs. Oh, did I mention this is a two-disc adventure? In fact, it's a 9/10 star two disc adventure with beautiful sound and overall feel that will leave you more emotionally aware than that creepy emo girl down the block listening to Green Day. // 9

Lyrics: Well, the lyrics are your expected Pink Floyd angelic beauty - by which I mean they're okay, but, really, the only really good part about Floyd lyrics are the outright honesty and difference from your usual verse one, chorus, verse two, chorus, bridge, milk the chorus until the listener dies of boredom-type affair. However, they work wonders with the musical style, so I let that slide. Roger Waters has never been a great vocalist - I know it, you know it, he knows it, even his mum knows it, but it IS bearable and goes along with the music and lyrics hand-in-hand, so really, it deserves no less than 8 stars, but I'm giving it 7, because I don't want this to be a glowing review that leads you all to believe that I'm biased just because this record in particular did wonders during a difficult time in my life, and spawned a successful career in acting. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this record? Some of the best hours of my life. From "In The Flesh?" to "Outside the Wall", Pink Floyd delivers us a great record with a great story, and great music. I really don't have much else to say--I hate giving glowing reviews, but The Wall is JUST THAT GOOD. So much so that it makes me want to go back to various other reviews and make them harsher so that this is seen as that much better, because this, kiddies, is called MUSIC. I have a strong belief that ALL of the good stuff came before the 80's, and then Nirvana came. And rock was murdered. I don't blame Nirvana for that, I blame the hundred and four artists who are successful today for copying him and releasing nothing else. The 30's all the way through to the 80's were great because the music industry was innovative, and it's not anymore. This is much like Michael Jackson's Thriller, in that you need to buy it now if you haven't already. The best songs are all the songs on disc one, and most on disc two--the only ones that really shine above the rest (which shine hard and long, by the way, and no, I do not mean shine on you crazy diamond or any other reference to other stuff...which I just made. Shoot.) are disc one's "Another Brick In The Wall Part 1," all the way through until "Another Brick In the Wall Part 2," "Don't Leave Me Now," "Hey You," and "Comfortably Numb," the best of these is that last one. // 8

The Wall Reviewed by: petrucci_owns86, on october 29, 2007

Sound: In my mind, this is Pink Floyd's climax. This is pretty much their best album, along with Dark Side of the Moon. The sound is probably the most guitar oriented of all the Roger Waters era Pink Floyd albums. David Gilmour really tears it up on on solos like Another Brick in the Wall (Part II), Mother, Young Lust, Hey You, and Comfortably Numb. This whole album revolves around one main character, whose supposed stage name is Pink Floyd. Pink is a washed-up rock star who starts to lose touch with reality, and ends up building an imaginary wall to cut himself off from the world. Pink slowly starts to go insane behind his "wall". He eventually realizes the consequences of creating this mental "wall", and puts himself o trial. The judge rules that the wall shall be torn down, and Pink should be exposed to the world once again. It's unclear as to how the wall is actually torn down, but some listeners think that Pink ends up killing himself to get rid of the wall (and himself) for good. However, this story is somewhat hard to follow, and leaves a lot to the listeners imagination, so this is just the way I interpreted it. Pink Floyd uses an interesting mix of very hard rock, such as In the Flesh, Another Brick in the Wall (Parts II & III), Young Lust, and Run Like Hell, and light, soft rock, such as Mother and Goodbye Blue Sky. They even employ a full orchestra on The Trial. This album showcases many different musical types, but for the most part it is a progressive hard rock opera. // 9

Lyrics: Roger Waters has great dynamic range, spanning from a little more on the quiet, melodic side (Mother, Goodbye Blue Sky, Nobody Home), to harsh, heavy rock delivery (In the Flesh, The Trial). The lyrics fit fairly well with the story, and they go almost flawlessly with the music. The Trial is really the only track where the vocals don't really match up with the music in certain spots. The lyrics are overall just great, but sometimes get a little ridiculous, such as in The Trial. But the lyrics have to get a little ridiculous at times, or else it wouldn't be a Roger Waters - led Pink Floyd album. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, I think that this is the best PF album, along with Dark Side of the Moon. And I'm not normally one to play favorites, but this one is my favorite PF album. The story is brilliant, the musicianship is awesome, everything about it is great. The 6 songs that totally blow my mind are (in order): Comfortably Numb (of course), Hey You, Another Brick in the Wall (Part II), Run Like Hell, Mother, and In the Flesh. I don't hate anything about this album. Just one thing bugs me: more keyboard! There are only a couple of keyboard stand-out points, but for the most part, it's just a backing instrument on this album. If it were stolen, I would cry for a few hours, and then find and destroy whoever stole it. All in all, this album is not another brick in the wall. It's a total standout. 'Nuff said. // 10

The Wall Reviewed by: Hevoc, on january 19, 2004

Sound: I realize this album is considered one of the great concept albums, and great rock albums of all time, not to mention one of Floyd's two best (Dark Side being the other), but I feel as though it is one of the most overrated classic rock albums ever, and I am a music fan. // 8

Lyrics: In the Flesh? -- A great opener, with solid lyrics and music (8/10) The Thin Ice -- A change of pace from the intro, but all for the better (7/10) Another Brick in the Wall Part I -- This is NOT the one with "We don't need no education" but is sets it up. Very solid (8/10) The Happiest days of our lives -- A great transition from ABITW, and great guitar. But, too short (8/10) Another Brick in the Wall Part II -- Great stuff. Awesome guitar solo (9/10) Mother -- Another change of pace, but still very powerful (8/10) Goodbye Blue Sky -- Haunting, and by far the best part of the movie. Again, it is too short (8/10) Empty Spaces -- David Gilmour gets to sing! It is more of a setup track (6/10) Young Lust -- Another radio staple from The Wall (9/10) One of my Turns -- Very nice throughout (7/10) Don't Leave Me Now -- The most powerful lyrics since "Time" in Dark Side of the Moon (8/10) Another Brick in The Wall Part III -- astounding, but not quite the power of its two predecessors (7/10) Goodbye Cruel World -- Pretty good outro (6/10) Hey You -- My favorite song from The Wall. Another great radio staple (10/10) Is There Anybody Out There -- Sweet guitar, but very short (7/10) Nobody Home -- More images from the movie flash as I hear this (7/10) Vera -- Short and sweet (7/10) Bring the Boys back Home -- Good song, and it recurs the theme of "Is there anybody out there?" (8/10) Comfortably Numb -- The song The Wall is famous for. Great stuff. Probably the best song ever written (it beats Stairway, without a doubt) (11/10) In the Flesh -- More recurring themes...(8/10) Run Like Hell -- Great keyboard and guitar work here. A rock staple, no doubt (9/10) Waiting for the Worms -- More power to The Wall (8/10) Stop -- too short, not enough time to grasp it. (I think Waters as going for that) (4/10) The Trial -- Not much of a song, but more of a dialouge. Still, veru solid, lyrically (7/10) Outside the Wall -- An even better outro. Listen to the end of it. the music from the 1st track (In the Flesh) is playing... (7/10) // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good album for all Floyd fans to hear. This also may be the album to start off with if you are just getting into Pink Floyd. It was mine, and I liked it right away. I'm not guaranteeing that you will, but try it out. Overall, The Wall is a very solid album. But, it can be better enchanced by the movie THE WALL. Also, If you like this cd I reccomend "The Dark Side Of The Moon". // 8

The Wall Reviewed by: Guitardude76, on december 06, 2004

Sound: The Wall. Where do I start with this one? Well, for me, I was suprised at how dark the album was! I only heard Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here before and was expecting something along the same lines. Most of the album has a very dark feel to it, but there are some points of cheerfulness and even some humor. This is a "concept" album, which is a story that has one central theme. I won't give the story away, but I will mention that the theme of it is about a wall. The style of Pink Floyd is progressive rock, and they use it to full potential here. The album flows as if it were one song (although a few songs seem out of place) and the instrumentation here if lovely. Mason's drum work is well done, and the same goes with Wright's keyboard work. Some of the stuff he plays on here is just haunting, such as In The Flesh or Don't Leave me Now. Waters fills the low end nicely with the bass, nothing flashy though. Gilmour's guitar work on this album takes the spotlight. He plays some pretty haunting riffs (Hey you, In the flesh), some lovely acoustic work (Mother, Is anybody out there?), and of course, his guitar solos. He puts so much emotion into his guitar solos and doesn't need fast flashy licks to make them enjoyable. Some solo highlights include Mother, Another Brick in the Wall (part 2) and of course comfortably numb. To basically summarize the sound of the album in one word, epic. // 10

Lyrics: Roger Waters penned the whole album (the album was his idea), so the lyrics are simply genius. The lyrics simply flow naturally here and nothing seems out of place. Since it's one big story, all the lyrics are tied together. David and Roger take turns singing, and they both do a superb job. // 10

Overall Impression: Although most say Dark Side Of The Moon is Floyd's best work, I think that The Wall simply blew it away. For me, the best songs were Hey You, In The Flesh, Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb, Mother, Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 and Is Anybody Out There. I love the story behind this album because we can all relate to it in some shape or form. My only complaint about the album is some songs seem a bit out of place (such as Hey You), but it doesn't take away too much from this album. If this album were stolen or lost, I would get another copy without any thought at all, and it is worth buying, no matter how much the price. You should buy this, or else you'll miss out on a truely fantastic disc. // 10

The Wall Reviewed by: floydDoors, on february 18, 2004

Sound: The Wall is decent at best musically. Definitely not one of the best Pink Floyd albums, although hyped beyond belief. The Floyd is easily the best "album band" ever, producing such complete works, but when you analyze The Wall it just isn't up to par with the other Floyd masterpieces. All kinds of interesting effects as a story of an overambitious rock star (Syd Barrett...loosely) is caught up in the fame, fortune, and problems, of the high life. Roger Waters' last decent album before leaving the band. His bass is impeccable as usual, and David Gilmour's better-than-outstanding guitar work, especially solos in two famous numbers, "Comfortably Numb" and "Hey You" is definitely a highlight. Rick Wright's swirling keyboards and Nick Mason's distinctive driving drums complete the musical aspects of The Wall. Yet if you are looking for interesting instrumental music from Pink Floyd, you missed the mark. "The Piper At the Gates of Dawn" was if not better, at least more interesting in terms of music. // 8

Lyrics: Symbolism is overused beyond reason in The Wall...it seems as if everything means something else, just we are not sure what. As Dark Side of the Moon was an ode to madness, and Wish You Were Here was a tribute to the fallen Syd Barrett, the wall is an ode to depression, angst, and anger as a band already broken up was trying to complete their last great work. There is almost a feel in the lyrics as if you know the band is coming apart. Lyrically, there isn't an outstanding song standing out in my head. Roger Waters is at his most depressed writing these lyrics. Such numbers as "Run Like Hell," "Comfortably Numb," "Another Brick in the Wall Part II," and "Hey You," were all successful commercial cuts off of the album, but again for lyrics you need to keep searching. A Saucerful of Secrets, Wish You Were, and Animals are better lyrically. The one thing on this album Pink Floyd does very well is integrate music to lyrics, as they are known for. Waters supplies the vocals for most of the album because there was so much conflict amongst himself and Dave Gilmour they had to record their parts seperately. Rick Wright was ousted from the band at Roger's request when he gave the "it's him or me" demand. He was re-hired shortly before the beginning of the album's recording as a session musician, being paid a salary per session. This lack of unity adds to the overall incomplete-ness of The Wall. // 6

Overall Impression: The Wall is, in a breath, The Seventies merging with the 80's, with heavy bass, floating guitar solos, and whimsical lyrics sung in an even more melancholy way. I've said it twice I believe, "Hey You," "Another Brick in the Wall Part II," and "Comfortably Numb" are song highlights. Hey You is memorable in many ways, as it slowly builds from a single slow guitar line to an all out rock masterpiece in a sort of Stairway to Heaven-esque way...except where Robert Plant sings of hope and optimism, Roger Waters simply concluded quite compellingly, "Together we stand, divided we fall." Although quite repetetive, "Another Brick..." is a mellow, driving, straight forward, almost understated track announcing to people all over the world, "We don't need no education! We don't need no thought control!" Waters' intolerance of the authoritarian schools/government is illustrated with vibrance here and is almost a motif for his solo work in years to come. My personal favorite on the record/tape/album is "Comfortably Numb," with better than average vocals, and one of the, if not the best guitar solo in Rock history coming at the end. If this album were taken from my possession in any form or fashion I'd get someone to burn it for me, definitely not go out and buy it. With the money I'd buy Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd, or at least pour some money into it (Echoes is expensive!). A favorite among fans of 70's and early 80's rock, an extremely famous composition, a statement of a tortured rock band, and a lackluster and incomplete effort when you break it down, The Wall is a must-have for a collector, but lacks the originality of previous Pink Floyd albums. Strongly recommend (obviously) Dark Side of the Moon, The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Ummagumma, Wish You Were Here...and if you like the psychedelic Pink Floyd stuff like me, look into The Madcap Laughs and Barrett by Syd Barrett...interesting glance into the psyche of a fallen rock star, victimized and severely handicapped by schizophrenia and excessive drug use. Furthermore "Apples and Oranges" "See Emily Play" "Arnold Layne" "Lucy Leave" are great early singles, as well as "Vegetable Man" and "Scream Thy Last Scream" were last hurrahs for Syd Barrett's pink floyd... If you like the texture of The Wall, check out Wish You Were Here, Animals, and Dark Side of the Moon as they don't lack the clarity The Wall does, while keeping the "theme album" idea. // 6

The Wall Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on march 02, 2006

Sound: This two disc psychadellic masterpiece shook the world with the rebellious ideas put forward. From rebellious, aggressive at times eerie lyrics to some mindblowing solos; this album has it all. This album was the first of its kind and Pink Floyd soon became a rage all over the world. The all time classics Another brick in the Wall, Comfortably Numb and Hey You, are all featured in this album. A really strange and psychadellic atmosphere is created when listening to this album. // 10

Lyrics: This has to be the definition of The Wall - rebellious, hostile, violent, yet strange and misty. With some of the best lyrics I've ever heard in tracks like Comfortably Numb. The classic teenager's anthem "We don't need no education." Can anyone forget those words. From the late '70s right uptill now, this album has perhaps the most influential lyrics. As far as the lead vocalist, lead guitarist and lyricist David Gilmour is concerned, I think he pulled off something that was quite unexpected. Simply awesome! // 10

Overall Impression: It is the best Floyd album, though I do advise you to listen to Wish You Were Here too. But whatever one may say, no one can takeaway the fact that Comfortably Numb has perhaps the best solo ever. This album is immortal. If you ask me, I'd say Pink Floyd = The Wall and other works. // 9

The Wall Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 17, 2009

Sound: I'll start off by saying that Pink Floyd is my favourite band and that The Wall is, in my opinion, the greatest music album ever produced. I'm going to rate every aspect of this album a 10. I'm always bothered to see when an album or a guitar gets a 10, a 9 or even an 8 because I think people should be more critical. But with The Wall I'm glad to make an acception; it deserves it's 100% score. While I could write about 17 books to describe the utterly astonishing greatness of this CD, I'm instead going to convince you why it is so superb to other albums. The Wall's sound cannot be described in one word, nor in three. Only in two words: Pink Floyd. These four gentlemen are able to produce a sound that is so characteristic and yet feels familiar. The switching of singers really interests the listener. Pink Floyd has an overall calm sound with some exciting twists and turns here and there. Especially the delay-licks on Another Brick In The Wall Part 1, 2 and 3 and Run Like Hell are very interesting to listen to. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are probably the aspect which catapultized this album into this superbus phenomenon. As you probably know, the album describes a story of a man named Pink. Pink lost his father in WWII (Another Brick In The Wall Part 1) and has an overprotective mother (Mother). His teachers are "evil" (Another Brick In The Wall Part 2) and voices in his head tell him to built an anti-emtion wall around himself. He builds this wall and completely isolates himself from the world (Hey You). When finally he releases one of his emotions he's put to trial for this unforgivable crime (The Trial) and finally tears down the wall and lives outside it. // 10

Overall Impression: Does this album compare to other albums (artists)? No. I cannot think of any artist who can even be compared to such geniuses. What are the most impressive songs of this album? Ehh... I'd start with Comfortably Numb, Hey You, Goodbye Blue Sky, Run Like Hell, but I think I'd end up summing up all the songs because I feel like the album is infact one very long and complicated song. For example, I never listen to one of the songs on its own. It just doesn't feel right. It's like only eating pepper. If it were stolen, I'd definetely buy it again. I listen to it at least once a week so it's definetely worth the money. besides that, I think it's an album you should have in your collection. Finally, I recommend you all, no matter what your musical taste is, to buy this album and I guarantee you that you will not be disappointed. It's one of the finest pieces of art around. Don't be fooled by the fact that Dark Side Of The Moon has sold more copies, The Wall is definetely better. Dark Side of The Moon kicks ass, but doesn't compare to The Wall. // 10

The Wall Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2004

Sound: Not only does this album show incredible music ability by the band, but there are multiple songs that would fit onto the playlist of just about any radio station out there. You really can't classify thier sound, this cd would fit well into the collections of hard-rock lovers (me) and those who enjoy soft rock. The instrumental ability of Pink Floyd is shown well on this entire album. Davis Gilmour is an incredible guitarist and the rest of the band sets the perfect tone for each song, whether it needs to be eerie and dark (Hey You) or upbeat and catchy (Another Brick In the Wall). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremely well written and they are sung even better. The best example of both is on the song "Comfortably Numb", especially the chorus. This song has two incredibly emotional guitar solos and the singing is absolutely breathtaking. There are even some songs that may seem silly at first listen, but after a bit you can realize that they are singing about something more serious than it sounds at first listen. // 10

Overall Impression: Buy this album! Or at least listen to Comfortably Numb the next time you get a chance. It definitely deserves to be classified as a classic. I'd say the only complaint that I have with the album is that the in between songs can get a bit irritating, but getting to the songs that they lead to will make up for that. If I lost this album (although it is a 2 disc album and runs around $25.00) I'd try to buy it as soon as I got the chance. It is definitely worth the money. // 10

The Wall Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 13, 2004

Sound: We have here in my opinion is basically a Roger Waters solo piec he penned basically all the songs with Gilmour providing some classic solos like the ever popular comfortably numb. The sound of this record is very tight and neat as with most pink floyd records and the songs move on at a good pace so you can digest whats going on in this epic. // 10

Lyrics: As I said before the kyrics are written by Waters and this time as with Animals are very bleak with an almost macabre sens of humour some listeners won't like this and some will I fall inbetween these catergeories, sometimes his voice and attitude can get you down as with most of his work after this record although hints appeared of this in dark side and others. Roger has a tremondous knack for writing lyrics that works on many levels and reflect his left view (bring the boys back home reference to the soldiers in the falklands shows his distaste for maggie thatcher). // 8

Overall Impression: 01. In The Flesh - a really good generic rock opener with some nice drums and keyboard work. 02. Thin Ice - this contains an alright solo with a nice little 50ish piano work once agains delves deep. 03. Another Brick In The Wall Pt 1 - not the radio hit but uses the same lyric structure nice guitar playing from gilmour although theres no real solo when rogers voice doubles on the words "ocean" and "leave for me" it adds a chilling vibe to the song. 04. Happiest Days Of Our Lives - complete with what sounds like eye of the tiger intro nice physce up to another brick pt 2 great liyrics great percussion fills at the end. 05. Another Brick In The Wall Pt 2 - the radio hit with the "walking hammers" and classic funky guitar solo nuff said. 06. Mother - another classic radio hit this time acoustic with some more great lyrics about pinks mum where gilmour does the vocals for the mother nice little guitar solo here also. 07. Goodbye Blue Sky - very beatle-esque with beach boys vocal harmonies a great track in fact a top tier for my favourite songs, sung by Gilmour. 08. Empty Spaces - a lead up track like happiest days a bit more dark and brooding a bit rushed. 09. Young Lust - good solid rock song with a good chorus very poppy kind of reflects the times. 10. One Of My Turns - starts out with rogfer singing to a keyboard loop then breaks out into a rock song lyrics are my favourite part as the songs lyrics are disturbing but the vibe is good kind of like young lust but you can hear stuff breaking and it includes that great piano part and some nice soloing. 11. Don't Leave Me Now - Rogers voice is really annoying here probably to show how despicable his character is, it grows on you in a way as I find the plot of this record intriguing once again it features a decent solo with rogers harmonizing with it my least favourite song sounds rushed and annoying very lack lustre. 12. Another Brick In The Wall Pt 3 - my least favourite of the parts very short but some a good keyboard track this ones about drugs. 13. Goodbye Cruel World - features rogers and that bass lick that he uses all the time just singing by the time it starts its already less than a minute an interesting way to close off first side. 14. Hey You - this probably is my favourite song on the second side as well as the first nice moody bass and gary moorish solo it appeals to me because of the many changes this song has. 15. Is There Anybody Out There? - a nice gilmour instrumental with good orchrestral arrangement behind it sounds epic dark and brooding with a haunting intro by Rogers. 15. Nobody Home - a nice piano ballad a bit wierd for the floyd and it leaves you hanging as it does'nt finish with a chorus it goes into the next two lines of the next verse and it ends kind of an unusual structure if you play the whole record then you would listen to this but if you're not then you'll probably skip. 16. Vera - another piano ballad very short again you would only listen to it if you were playing the whole record. 17. Bring The Boys Back Home - an unusual opera piece feature military drumming and fades of with that annoying whine of rogers voice this is about the falklands or any war as I mentioned above again very short and you would only listen to it if you were playing the whole record. 18. Comfortably Numb - classic switching vocal piece by Gilmour and Waters, now this is a classic everything about it is Nuff Said. 19. The Show Must Go On - beach boys harmonies sung by gilmour beautiful short little piece of music. 20. In The Fesh - the song again but this time features "Surrogate band" generic rocky number. 21. Run Like Hell - classic 80ish synth peice nice work by wright and Gilmour and the vocals are quite chilling as well. 22. Waiting For The Worms - this sounds like Queen I like the "waiting" part a good song. 23. Stop - a really short peice that leads into the trial about 40 seconds long. 24. The Trial - a very unusual way to end the record sounds like Oliver twist and roger outdoes himself singing everyone in Pinks life. 25. Outside The Wall - accordion piece that the record started off with very short and doesn't really add any closure to this record. Overall: I like this record a lot but it seems fairly lacklustre I think this echoes where the band were at that time the relationships were breaking and all was not well sounds very laboured at times. I also don't like the way it ends I think he leads us along at the start into this epic and then it ends with a ridiculous song like the trial and waiting for the worms and it finishes with an accordion peice that turns the whole thing into a joke. The meanings and everyones different interpretations are annoying as everyone disaggrees with each other even after seeing the movie, I think roger waters is the only one who knows what happens. A good solid album expensive beginners should get echoes first to see what they sound like but I also think if you've got the money you should get it because its probably their most mainstream record as well as most hyped as well. Pink floyd don't really sound like this before this record so give them another chance with dark side or something if you didn't like this. // 8

The Wall Reviewed by: Modernmusich8er, on april 19, 2006

Sound: The sound quality of this album is so phenomenal that it is hard to describe. The mindblowing psychedelic sounds of Pink Floyd are what got them famous as music for mellowing out. While David Gilmour may not be the craziest guitarist, he had a way of transforming a single note with a bend thrown in really reach you, note: "Comfortably Numb" solo. The Wall is not the best Floyd recording but is probably the second famous one ("Dark Side Of The Moon" being the most famous). The Wall is a great album for a fan of Pink Floyd, if you have good judgement you would buy this album and listen to it quite often. // 10

Lyrics: The whole album is a story of a crazy rockstar's downward spiral. This is not ust expressed through just lyrics, but also through sound effects in the songs. A movie was made about the album, based on the album, which I also recommend. The lyrics are quite fine in this album, Rush will always be my favorite band at writing stories in the music, but Pink Floyd is great as well. // 10

Overall Impression: I believe this album could be a single disc album, there's a lot of unnessecary filler that made it a double disc. The overall impression of the album is great and I would rush to buy a new copy if mine was broken or stolen. // 9

The Wall Reviewed by: GrungePb, on june 13, 2006

Sound: This album was defenitly a milestone record. Its sound is outstanding! I personally have yet to hear a album of this complexity and outstanding sound to be released by any other band. This album is a rock opera (other ex. Tommy - The Who, American Idiot - Green Day) which basically means all the songs are linked together in there meaning and follow a story line about a character. Pink is a fictional character, an anti-hero who is beat down by society from a early age starting with the death of his father in World War II. This is told to use through track 1 In the Flesh. Pink has a over-protective mother (track 6 Mother), and is oppressed at school by abusive teachers who tried to mould him and the other pupils into the "right" shape for society (the famous Another Brick In The Wall tracks). That's all I'm going to tell for the plot of the album. All in all this Double Disc set has some really amazing tracks. This album has a variety of sounds including up-pace melodys, slower acoustic sessions and rocking songs with amazing guitar solos (Comfortably Numb being know for its incredible solo). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics is just as amazing as the sound. This album would not be able to call itself a rock opera without the lyrics which tell the story of Pink. Very deep complex material that does a excellent job of acompanying the music. The lyrics introduce many themes to the album such as the Wall, a concept by Roger Waters which is where every bad experience in Pinks life is "another brick in the wall" and once the wall is complete Pink isolates himself from the rest of the world. As for singers skill, you can expect the same amazing sound of Roger Waters voice and David Gilmour voice. // 10

Overall Impression: Many consider this ablum to be Pink Floyd's best and I can see where they get that from. This album is great, a lot of different sounding songs, deep and thought provoking lyrics. You get 80 mins of Pink Floyd at their best, how can you lose? You can't! // 10

The Wall Reviewed by: obey_yourmaster, on august 05, 2006

Sound: The sound changes from track to track. Some songs are quite heavy and angry, while others are sad. All of the songs are worth a listen to, and they never get boring, repeatitive, or too long. I love all of the songs on this double-disc set. If you do listen to The Wall, the experience is much better if you listen from the begining to the end, because this is a concept album. The acoustic songs depict the sorrow of the situation the song is describing, and the solos are the best I've ever heard. The solo on "Comfortably Numb" is considered the best solo in a song, ever. My opinion is the same. While it may not be a fast, shredding solo, it has the most feeling of any other solo. The vocals change from song to song, showing that David Gilmour and Roger Waters have a very wide range of singing. Fun Fact: David Gilmour and Roger Waters actually switch roles of singing on "Mother". They switch every other line. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can be interpreted in many, many, many ways. The most obvious being the story of a rock star isolating himself from the world by putting a huge wall between himself and the world. This is how the movie came about. I've seen the movie, and it helped me interprate many of the song's lyrics. The story starts out with the rock star being born, his name is Pink. His father leaves him (the album does not say why, but the movie suggests he went to war) and Pink is sent to school. He is abused by teachers, and mocked. Deciding that he doesn't need school, he goes to his mother for help. This is when he decides to build the wall. He starts to build the wall, but he can't finish it quite yet. He hires a prostitute, and goes completely mad. He then regrets going crazy, and wants her to come back. He then finishes the wall. At the end of Disc 1, the wall is complete. He then discribes what it's like to be behind the wall, all alone. In the movie, he cuts himself off from the world by staying locked in his apartment. He scheduled to do a show, so some cops break into the apartment, and give him some medicine to feel better. He does the show, and at the same time becomes a dictator. "In The Flesh" (along with the movie) explains most of what's happening. It says the main character's name, and suggests that he's a dictator. "Run Like Hell" is exactly what the title suggests: run from the dictator. They weed out the city for all that try to run, then Pink orders it to be stopped. He is brought to court, where they tear down the wall. This is just my interpretation. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album, and along with the movie, I believe it is a true masterpiece. It's my favorite Pink Floyd album, and it leaves you thinking, even if you think you have it figured out. Roger Waters is in my opinion the best songwriter ever. I suggest watching the movie to get the full effect. It is definetely a strange album, but at the same time, a true masterpiece. It was voted the second best concept album in Guitar One magizine, (losing to The Who's "Tommy") and I recommend it to anyone who likes to think, or likes music. // 10

The Wall Reviewed by: DonAkide, on october 19, 2006

Sound: When I first listened to this album, I didn't really know much about Pink Floyd, I didn't really know much about music, so after having listenend to the popular songs (Another Brick), it lay rather forgotten in the back of my mind. After having dveloped my musical culture a bit more, I listened to it completely, and there it dawned on me what an absolute masterpiece it was. It has a rather gritty feel to it. You sometimes shiver from it's dark, harsh side. You have some odd sounds that pop out around the disc and Roger's voice (he sings most of the songs) haunts throughout the album. Of course, David's singing is as good as ever, but when Roger sings Goodbye Cruel World, there's something quite unexplainable about the way his smooth, calm voice penetrates your soul. Gilmour's solos are absolutely incredible (as usual), they're all quite long, although they don't feel it. There are some nice piano parts (Nobody Home). There isn't one song that isn't a masterpiece, although it is a rather difficult album to relate to. // 9

Lyrics: It's hard to find lyrics with such profound meanings and poetry. You musn't forget that this is rock opera, and personnaly I find the story better presented than in Tommy for example. It is a clever and moving portrayal of modern life, druggs, love, childhood and war. It's a dark and complex story about a rockstar who's father died in the war when he was a child (so did Waters') and he has difficulty socialising with other people (his wife, his mother). At school all the children are beaten terribly by the Teachers, these schoolboys are the "Worms", a theme often used trhroughout tha album. It's often difficult to understand everything that's happening, but when you look closely at the lyrics, you see better what an amazing album The Wall is. // 10

Overall Impression: If it was lost I would get this album back straightaway, it's so quintessential. You don't easily forget songs like Comfortably Numb (the solo), The Thin Ice or even The Trial. At it's core it's so deep yet quite simple, there are some great riffs, great solos, great lyrics, and great singing. A must have. // 10

The Wall Reviewed by: leid sepplin, on february 21, 2007

Sound: This bands sound is very, very original (even now). It is very experimental and very relaxing(on most songs). The wall is a 2 record album, And has had a movie based on the album. The music styles used in the album are very diverse, from the guitar solos in Comfortably numb, to the symphony-esque sounds in other songs. Right now I own only the original album, so anything on the CD I cannot comment on. // 10

Lyrics: The impression you gain after you listen to the lyrics is amazing. The words flow with the music, and Roger Waters is an angel. The album follows a mans journey outside of the wall. Some of the best songs on the wall are ones based mostly on voice and toned down on music. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to Pink floyds other albums it ties with Animals for me. The most impressive songs on the album are all on side 3 and are all very well versed on radio. Hey you, and Comfortably numb. I love the fact that this album follows a story, but I hate how is there anybody out there starts.(it scares the shit out of my every time). If it were stolen I would buy the CD but the album is very dear to me, so I would probably try really hard to get it back. // 10

The Wall Reviewed by: Page/Rhoads, on december 17, 2007

Sound: This album can only be described with one word. Epic. The album is just Pink Floyd at their best the whole way through. The album is very psychedelic and will blow you away. If you get it, lay down, close your eyes, and just listen. When I heard this album, I figured out what it felt like to be high. And you don't need drugs! It's a great album, and it's healthy. // 9

Lyrics: It's Pink Floyd, what do you expect? The lyrics are amazing. Great songs about youth, pain, and war. Gilmour and Waters sound amazing together and show why they belong in the same band. These lyrics are deep and will move you. Not many other albums can do what this one does. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a must have for any rock fans. If you're looking to get into Pink Floyd, start here. The album may be expensive, but it is well worth it. It's my favorite Floyd album. The best songs are all 3 parts of Another Brick In The Wall (Ver. 2 is the most famous), Nobody Home, Run Like Hell, and obviously, Comfortably Numb. There really are no bad songs on the album. I wouldn't let anyone steal it, because I don't want to pay for it again. But I would if I had to. If you want a rock classic, don't hesitate. Buy it. // 10

The Wall Reviewed by: Karvid, on july 16, 2009

Sound: The more I listen to this album, the more I become ambivalent towards it. It is an album that offers a great concept, some very great guitar playing and instrumentation, and a lot of unnecessary music that makes listening to The Wall in full a chore at times. Don't get me wrong, Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands, and although I have never felt that the slight change in direction from the earlier progressive music was bad in itself, this album leaves me with the realization that less is actually more. There are a number of short songs that could have easily been omitted all together (most notably, the song Vera); they are dull and do not offer anything to the overall story. While most of the music does move the story of Pink and his celebrity life forward (which is why I am hesitant in labeling any song as "Filler"), much of the second CD seems unfocused, put there simply to add more unnecessary drivel to the narrative. The album includes many great moments, though- the solos in Mother, Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2), and Comfortably Numb; the dark, heavy rhythms in The Thin Ice, Hey You, and Waiting For The Worms; and some quite lively, emotional moments such as Young Lust and One of My Turns. However, listening to the entire one and a half hour album from beginning to end seems to leave me overwhelmed with all of the dull moments in songs such as the aforementioned Vera, Bring the Boys Back Home, and The Show Must Go On (all of which are, incidentally, on the second CD) that seem to overshadow the truly great moments on the album. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are definitely the highlight of this album. They are intense, emotional, metaphorical, and are able to tell an entire story without directly stating their purpose. There is a certain frustration throughout the entire album that is portrayed really well from song to song. From the furious lyrics in Happiest Days of Our Lives and Another Brick In The Wall, the almost sarcastic lyrics in Mother, the blatantly frustrating sarcasm in One of My Turns, to the depressing conclusion of the first part in Goodbye Cruel World, the first album is a perfect example of emotional lyrics at their best. The second album also includes a fair share of great, emotional singing in In the Flesh, and climaxing with the terrific chanting in Waiting for the Worms and the subsequent courtroom accusations in The Trial. The only complaints I have with the album, lyrically, are the cliched rhymes that sometimes creep in (such as "The wall was too high/As you can see/No matter how he tried/He could not break free."), and the somewhat disappointing conclusion in Outside the Wall, which seems to be a little too direct, compared to the rest of the album. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to other Pink Floyd albums, this is, frankly, a disappointment. It was not as focused or as consistent as The Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here, and it did not leave me with the greatest impressions. It is not a bad album, though. It has some very great songs and lyrics, which make it an essential record in any CD collection. To put it bluntly, if I lost the album I would purchase it once more for the great songs, and because it is a significant album in music history. // 7

More Pink Floyd reviews rating latest review