Doolittle Review

artist: pixies date: 07/28/2008 category: compact discs
pixies: Doolittle
Released: 1989
Genre: Rock
Tones: Volatile, Ironic, Brooding, Cathartic, Literate, Detached, Quirky, Energetic
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Noise Pop, College Rock
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.6
 9.4
 9.7
Doolittle Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on july 28, 2008

Sound: This is primarily an alternative rock/post punk album, but don't think it sounds like today's mainstream pop punk garbage. It's full of guitars that range from fast and distorted to clean and melodic. Kim Deal's bass is firm and her voice is ethereal and beautiful. Her voice reminds me of Belinda from My Bloody Valentine. The drumming is simple but good, and Black Francis/Frank Black's voice is unique to say the least. He's one of those select few voices that's unique in a good way, one that can't be described, but begs to be heard. // 9

Lyrics: Black Francis' lyrics are as distinct and wonderful as his voice. A good majority of them, when you hear them, you'll likely think "do these actually mean something or is it just non-sense that sounds like it COULD mean something?" Lyrics like "I've kissed mermaids, rode the El Nino, walked the sand with the crustaceans" or "Miss aggravation, some sacred questions, you stroke my locks, some marijuana, if you got some" show the twisted brilliance of the lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: Pixies were Nirvana's biggest influence, and Nirvana didn't come close to matching this bands brilliance. This could very well be the best post punk/alternative album ever made. Alternative music was never more wacky or brilliant then with this quartet from Boston. Any bands into rock who haven't heard Pixies, rush out and buy this along with Surfer Rosa, and be blown away. Personal favorite tracks are Debaser, Wave of Mutilation, Here Comes Your Man, Monkey Gone To Heaven, and Gouge Away. // 9

Doolittle Reviewed by: Troy Simple, on march 24, 2004

Sound: I cant believe no one has reviewed this album or mentioned this band. No band is as directly responsible for the Alternative boom to the mainstream in the early 90's as the Pixies are. Pretty much have influenced every indie and alternative band that has formed since. This classic of an album is the melodic counterpart to the more abrasive Surfer Rosa (also a solid five star album) and the hooks on this album just stick in your head and stay there for hours. The Pixies are most perfect and purest combination of pop and abrasive noise that has ever exsisted. Solid standout tracks musically is pretty much the entire album - you can listen to it straight through with out it growing stale or tired. "Here Comes Your Man" and "Monkey gone to heaven" were the most recognizable songs of the album but songs like "Gouge Away", "Debaser", "Wave of Mutilation", and "Mr. Grieves" are equally as memorable. // 10

Lyrics: Probably one of the most innovative and original lyricists since the Lennon, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed days in the 1960's. My overall impression of the lyrics are that this man is either just incredibly creative or on acid. Most of the lyrics if they do have a deaper meaning which they do usually come off as stream of consience ranting. Very innovative lyrics and a very unique sounding voice. Frank Blacks voice really did fit the off the wall lyrics quite well. Don't try and make sense of the lyrics. You will just turn into a Wave of Mutilation. Standout songs from a lyrical stand point are "Here Comes your Man", "Hey", "Number 13", and "Mr Grieves". // 10

Overall Impression: Classic from start to finish. If you own one pixies album or would like to start listening to them start with this album then buy Surfer Rosa and everything else. If you have never heard the Pixies you will enjoy them if you like Nirvana, Husker Du, The Replacements, The Strokes, The White Stripes, and Lame Lynch. Without a doubt this record has its place in music history and I would rank it as one of the most important releases of all time and probably the most important album of the late 80's. Yes even more important then Appetite of Destruction by Guns and Roses. // 10

Doolittle Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2004

Sound: Pixies have a unique sound to them. It's pretty beat oriented, with the guitars either filling in the sound or mixing it up with little melodies. They do a good job controlling how quiet or loud the sound is, and they use that to the songs benifit. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are unique and origonal, but add more style than they add emotion for the song although they do benifit the song. The singer does alot of raw screaming, which is more just varience in the song and singing, and isn't emo-core screaming or anything like that. He would probably need to be a skilled singer to do some of the weirder things with his voice. Kim Deal dose some nice backup singing. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has 15 songs on it and is about 40 minutes long, the packaging is nice (although it comes in a heavy paper sleeve, not a jewel case, but i got a japanese import of it). It looks like it has the cd cover from the "monkeys gone to heaven" single. If this album was stolen from me I would probably get a different Pixies cd to hear other songs by them, but would end up replacing it fairly soon. Alot of the songs on this cd sound similair, and only a few of the songs are unique from eachother. Debasser, Gouge Away, Monkeys Gone To Heaven, are some of the better songs although the entire album is pretty good. This album has influenced bands from across the world and has had a big impact on rock, and has had a big musical influence on me as well. // 10

Doolittle Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 22, 2005

Sound: The only word I can reall yuse to describe this album is crazy. The guitars are really only filler but add possibly the more memorable riffs of the early nineties to these songs. In true Pixies' style most the songs, album really, focus around kim deal and her kickass bass. She adds fanshmastic rythym to all the songs. One of the reasons I love pixies so much is their strong basslines which make great foundations for ecclectic music and Pixies-esque songs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just great fun, to sing and to listen to. First time anyone listens to pixies their first reaction is generally along the lines of "Did he really just say what I think he said?" and the answer is usually "Yeah he did." But the fact that they make absolutely no sense means black Francis' voice gets used more as an instrument than something to give emotion, if you get me, what he's saying isn't important nor is how he's saying it but the fact that he is saying it adds another crazy level to the music. The lyrics generally fit the music in that the music is crazy and so is his voice and his lyrics. But if you must sing along to pixies lyrics I do not recommend trying to immitate his voice or sing in a public place, you get funny looks. // 10

Overall Impression: In all honesty some of the songs are quite samey but they are also some of the most outstanding songs of the early '90s. It's a great album if you're in a loud kind of mood. In a screaming kind of nonsensical mood. Or in an insipid mood. Nobody does love songs like Pixies. Mainly because when pixies do love songs they don't sound like love songs, they're too upbeat, a pleasant change from regular love songs. In my personal opinion "La La Love You," "Monkey Gone To Heaven," "Here Comes Your Man" and "Debaser" are rightfully the more known songs off the album. However most people underestimate the fantastic songs like "Silver" and "Wave Of Mutilatiion." "Crackity Jones" and "Mr. Grieves" are a bit immmature for most Pixies' fans but that doesn't make them any less fantastic! If I lost this album I would most definately have to go buy it again! Or burn it off my friends, y'know whatever's easier. // 10

Doolittle Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on july 11, 2006

Sound: Considered by many fans to be the band's best album, "Doolittle" proves to be one of the most diverse and unique albums in the history of rock music itself. Though I'll willingly argue that "Surfer Rosa" is better, "Doolittle" gets most of the acclaim, and deservedly so. Whereas "Surfer Rosa" was rough, grungy, and overall just a strictly post-punk pre-grunge consistent & solid piece of work, "Doolittle" takes a 180 turn as Pixies expand their sound and try some of the most experimental things in their short-lived career. Having 15 tracks (2 tracks and about 5 minutes more than "Surfer Rosa"), the album is also well-known for being the only Pixies album without one single bad track. As much as I love "Surfer Rosa", I have to agree that as far as bad tracks, "Doolittle" does its best at not having one to spare. // 10

Lyrics: What's amazing to me is that the band can muster up some of the whackiest, funniest songs imaginable but still be a serious, straightforward band. They seem to know how to perfectly combine odd humor, good fun, and great music, and "Doolittle" is a shining example of just that. // 10

Overall Impression: So basically what I'm saying is if you're a rock fan and you don't have this album, you need to go out and buy it immediately. I can guarantee that it will be well worth your money. I'd probably give this one a 10/10, too, because it's truly an alt rock classic. // 10

Doolittle Reviewed by: shoegazer501, on february 11, 2008

Sound: Absolutely innovative in terms of what they were accomplishing. The tracks take you from punk to what bands now are copying with orchestration. I think the best examples are songs like "Debaser", "Hey", and "Gouge Away," you receive a hard hitting track like "Debaser" that capitalizes on punk and surf but you also get a fully structured song like "Hey" or "Monkey Gone to Heaven" that uses a bit more melodic or developed more than the standard rock set up. It's hard, thrashing, yet beautiful in its own right. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome. Frank Black is a genius in terms of crafting nonsense. He makes plenty of references to religion("Gouge Away" and "Monkey Gone to Heaven"), pop culture ("Debaser"), and a myriad of themes. Kim Deal is an excellent back up singer and solo artist in her own right. // 8

Overall Impression: It's one of my favortie albums. Personally, I like it more than Surfer Rosa (which is also amazing) because it's more cleaned up. it maintains the raw sound that the Pixies are well known for and show cases what can be done when the right band meets a great producer and recording team. it's best tracks- "Here Comes Your Man", "Debaser", "Gouge Away", "Hey", and "Monkey Gone To Heaven". It is certainly more of an accessible album than Surfer Rosa and the sales show it. If I lost it, I'd easily buy it again and hope that whoever found the old copy loves it as much as I do. // 9

More Pixies reviews rating latest review
+ Indie Cindy 7.5 04/29/2014