Dry Review

pj harvey: Dry
Released: Jun 30, 1992
Genre: Rock
Styles: Singer/Songwriter, Alternative Pop/Rock, Indie Rock
Dry is a forceful collection of brutally emotional songs, highlighted by Harvey's deft lyricism and startling voice, as well as her trio's muscular sound.
 9.1
 8.7
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Dry Reviewed by: lifeofagitbox, on december 20, 2004

Sound: So, this is PJ Harvey's debut album, Dry. If I was her I would be very happy to have this as my debut album. Polly's earlier works were definitely a little more raw then some of her newer stuff, but all of her music is great. The sound is raw and very overdriven, but all of the instruments go with each other. PJ has shown us her anger and loneliness and depression all within a few songs. The one song I wish wasn't so godd--m quiet (all of them are pretty low, but this is the worst) is "Happy And Bleeding." It's a very nice song, but her vocals don't really match up and it becomes slightly annoying. Everything else on the album is splendid. // 8

Lyrics: Polly has amazing vocals, and she's normally just playing the guitar by herself (mainly on the other albums) so she proves that you can have very little to create something gigantic. Each and every song is very unique, showing PJ's anger, loneliness, resentment, happyness, sexualness, and raw intensity. Sometimes, her voice is a little too depended on to make the song and it would be nice to get some more instruments behind her. I think though, every song on this album could stand by itself and hold up against scrutiny. They're all unique and experimental at times. "Plants And Rags" is just an amazing work of art. // 10

Overall Impression: All of these songs are extreme and well thought out. I think it would help if the album wasn't so low so you wouldn't have to turn your cd player up all the way, but besides that I would recomend this to anyone as their first PJ album to pick up. I also wish that it could have had more songs. Instead of 11 maybe 14-16, but what's on the album is well enough and I listen to it time and time again. Check it out, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. // 8

More Pj Harvey reviews rating latest review