Is This Desire? Review

artist: pj harvey date: 10/20/2010 category: compact discs
pj harvey: Is This Desire?
Released: Sep 28, 1998
Genre: Alternative rock / Electronica / Experimental rock
Label: Island
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Is This Desire? Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 20, 2010

Sound: This is an album which showcases more than just talent, but emotion and variety. I'm a huge PJ Harvey fan and I think it's a dreadful shame that most people my age (around twelve - thirteen) not only don't have a clue who she is, but are obsessed with talentless artists who simply cannot sing (or spell, in Ke$ha's case!). Yes, the world is full of these mainstream-obsessed idiots and the talentless oafs with whom they are obsessed, but it's good to know that whatever happens, PJ is set to be making records for a good few years at least. // 10

Lyrics: One of PJ Harvey's best albums, 'Is This Desire?' is the first of her albums to feature the lyrics on the inside sleeve. The title track, 'Is This Desire?', is one of my all time favourite songs. One of my favourite things about the songs is the chorus, in which her voice goes quite high. I also really love the guitar in it which (correct me if I'm wrong) is a bass guitar. I also really love the lyric 'And Dawn's neck and her feet were bare/ sweetness in her golden hair/ Said "I'm not scared"/ Turned to her and smiled/ Secrets in his eyes/ Sweetness of desire'. It may be the best track on the album, but certainly not the only great track. One of my favourites is 'The Sky Lit Up'. I love the way her voice switches in pitch really nicely. She's an amazingly talented artist and certainly very unique. The lyrics on this album are just one of the factors that render it one of the greatest pieces of work ever. // 10

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier, I would consider this one of her best works, if not her best (it's definitely between 'Is This Desire?' and 'Uh Huh Her'). The best tracks from it are 'Is This Desire?', 'A Perfect Day Elise', 'Joy', and 'Angelene'. This is definitely an album I'll always keep and is just purely Phenomenal (with a capital P). I definitely recommend it as a good place to start with her music. There is a very clear theme of an alternative rock style on the album, but a lot of variety as well. Definitely a very special album from an extremely talented artist. // 10

More Pj Harvey reviews rating latest review