Uh Huh Her Review

Released: Jun 8, 2004
Label: Island
Genre: Rock
Styles: Singer/Songwriter, Alternative Pop/Rock, Indie Rock
Perhaps the most nuanced album in PJ Harvey's body of work, Uh Huh Her balances her bold and vulnerable moments, but remains vital.
 9.9
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Uh Huh Her Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on june 20, 2005

Sound: Well, there are quite a deal of contradictory opinions regarding this album. After the release of the award-winning "Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea" in 2000, many fans were skeptical as to whether or not good ol' Polly Jean would revert back to her more disturbing songwriting approaches (she does, though, claim that the songs don't directly reflect herself; I suppose I agree with that). After all, if she tried too hard to make another success like her 2000 release, it could end up a complete and pathetic failure, right? Right. So it's good to see everything has been put back into its right place. Except for the drums, Polly recorded every instrument on this album. She's actually very good at anything, although I do have to say her singing ability is far superior to anything else she does. She produced this album herself, and I do have to say she did a pretty damn good job at it. Where the songs are supposed to sound haunting, they sound haunting, where they're supposed to sound uplifting, they're uplifting; everything sounds the way it should in this album, and although it wasn't produced the happy way most albums have been produced in the past, it's not bad at all to hear something a little different for a change. // 10

Lyrics: What can I say? Polly Jean Harvey is one of the most brilliant songwriters out there, not to mention one of the best singers. She has a way of making you know exactly what the song should feel like, be it sad, happy, or angry, and she does such a great job at rubbing it off on you so you almost feel exactly the same way she does. Few, if any, other singers I've ever known can do that, and undoubtedly none can do it near as well as Polly does. One of the best moments in the album is probably on the song "Who The Fuck?" There is a chant of "Who" for four times, then a chant of "F--k" for three times; on the fourth time, the whole song takes a drastic turn as PJ chants, almost happily, "You!" You almost have to hear it to believe how great of a moment it is. // 10

Overall Impression: Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved "Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea," but "Uh Huh Her" is such a beloved return of the aggressive lady we once knew. She is quite possibly one of the most brilliant songwriters ever, and definitely the most unique. That being said, though, her music is not for everyone. At times this album can get quite depressing, but who's to say music can't be depressing? If you're looking for something a little different the next time you go CD shopping, pick up this album; I guarantee you won't think it a waste after a listen or two. // 10

More Pj Harvey reviews rating latest review