Meds Review

artist: placebo date: 02/13/2006 category: compact discs
placebo: Meds
Release Date: Mar 13, 2006
Genres: Rock
'Meds' mark the return of a very confident band that after a decade together just keep growing in stature. The album will be released on CD, LP and special edition pack with an extended booklet with lyrics and a bonus DVD.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 8.8
 8.5
Meds Reviewed by: stumaster18, on january 25, 2006

Sound: Placebo is back, and it has never been more exciting. Placebo's new CD, "Meds," is something many of us have been waiting for for a long time. Placebo's last release, "Sleeping With Ghosts" (2003), was an exceptionally done piece of work which had great songs, intense lyrics, and catchy guitar riffs. With that said, this new album has a lot to live up to. Just like their other records, Meds does have the distortionized songs, and the slowed-down ballads that we are all use to. But what we have here is unique - stuff that we have not heard before. Placebo is more focused on their ballads and soft-rock rather than their harder, more intense songs. This is not a bad thing at all, and it all still sounds great. This album is to be released on March 13th in the UK and the rest of Europe, but I'm not sure when Canada and America are supposed to have it available. As CDs by Placebo go, this one is sure to be a hit all around the world. // 9

Lyrics: Once again, Brian Molko's lyrics are brilliant. That's all there is to it. His voice has matured greatly, and I love the sound of it. It suits the music perfectly, and makes it more enjoyable to listen to. Brian continues his saga of repeating the title of songs as the chorus, which is his thing, so it's great. Some lyrics have boring lyrics that don't really mean anything ("Let's follow the cops back home, and rob their houses"). But again, Brian Molko is a genius when it comes to lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: Meds, to me, is a great album. Some songs are boring and plain, but most of the songs are fantastic. My personal favourites are "Meds," which features VV Of The Kills, "Infra-Red," "Drag," "Broken Promise," which features Michael Stipe, "One Of A Kind," "Song To Say Goodbye" and the first single "Because I Want You," which is spectacular. When compared to Placebo's other albums, it just doesn't cut it. What I don't like are the songs that distract you form the rest of the album, like "Space Monkey" and "Follow The Cops Back Home." These two, by far, are the worst songs on the cd. It takes more then two full listens before you can say you like anything on it. When I first heard the CD, it didn't get my attention at all, and I was quite disappointed. I still am disappointed, since I was expecting a lot more. But nonetheless, Placebo did not fail on making this an album that is worth buying, for any Placebo fan. But if you're not a Placebo fan, I recommend listening to their singles collection first. If I accidentally deleted this CD off my computer, I would re-download it. And when it is released in the UK, I will definitely purchase it. Not their best, but nothing to complain about. I'm sure I'll think this cd is better in a few weeks or so. // 8

Meds Reviewed by: shotgunjoe, on january 30, 2006

Sound: Every Placebo album is different and has a different kind of sound. They all kinda built up to a more techno sound with "Sleeping With Ghosts" which was their most techno album. However, Meds is going back to basics. With Dimitri Tikovoi as producer Brian said he was trying to get them to go "back to the basics" and he wanted to do an album that didn't just show that they were "good at using a studio." This is their best album yet. Don't get me wrong, they still cover a lot of genres and still has a lot of techno stuff on it, it just shows that they have evolved as musicians and are able to show the band underneath. Highlights include the title track Meds which mixes accoustic and electric guitar very well. VV of The Kills features but her voice gets annoying. Other highlights include Blind, Pierot The Clown (brilliant song, very depressing though), Because I Want You, Post Blue (very wierd guitar effects), Broken Promise, and Song To Say Goodbye (very emotional, I almost cried when I first heard the end bit). Saying these, every song is a highlight in its own right. // 10

Lyrics: Brian Molko has always been a great songwriter. Meds is no different. The lyrics are kind of abstract which lets people interperet their own meaning, but you can kinda guess what he is trying to say and get it right, everyone can relate to these songs. The main themes are loss, confusion, revenge, love, addiction and dependence, like on all the Placebo albums. Brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: Brian Molko and Placebo are probably the most underrated musicians of the century. They do not compare to any artists around as they are so different from anyone else, and I love that about them. I love everything about this album, they have definetely achieved more than any of the other albums combined, and that is saying something. I cannot stop listening to this album, it is brilliant and I think Placebo will stay my favourite band for a very long time. // 10

Meds Reviewed by: jonathanr, on february 01, 2006

Sound: Well, this is Placebo's most recent effort, due out in about mid-March 2006. The band has been around for over a decade, and they refuse to slow down yet. It includes duets with VV of the Kills and Michael Stipe of REM. It's a bit softer than the other albums, most songs are either in a slow minor key or kind of poppy songs like Blink 182. Lots of piano, less guitar. Overall, it will defnitely be worth buying. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are great. Like any other album, Brian's simple delivery of complicated messages prevails. Simple Hooks, easy to understand singing, but a few tricky words make it likeable to poetic geniuses and simple minded mainstream lovers. // 9

Overall Impression: I've had this on my mp3 player for 2 weeks. It's excellent, easy to listen to, and very versatile. As you'll hear people say though, michael is less than nessecary. Placebo still haven't lost it. But Brian, grow your goddamn hair back! // 9

Meds Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 13, 2006

Sound: The band's seem to be evolving into pop music without leaving it's rock roots. It is a quite versatile album where the first three tracks catch you very fast and the choruses stay in your mind forever, something often related to pop songs, followed by a so-called experimental track (Space Monkey). The album's full of potential singles, like Blind, Drag (you got as on your Algebra tests, quite sweet) and Infra Red. "Because I Want You" is too "singl-ish" and it's very similar to Every You, Every Me or The Bitter End. The album doesen't offer any innovations on the trademark of Placebo but its worth to buy it whithout any doubts. // 8

Lyrics: One of Brian Molko's main qualities, other than his unique femminine voice, is his ability to writhe beautiful, poetic and sentimental (anger and love, and dessilussion)lyrics. On "Infra Red" he sounds like on their first album and Meds sound like a transsition from "Placebo" to "Sleeping With Ghosts." // 10

Overall Impression: It's Probably not their best work but its is defenitely worthy of buing or checked, the album has its highs and lows, with five very good tracks, and some that shouldn't have been in the record. // 8

More Placebo reviews rating latest review
+ Loud Like Love 6.5 09/17/2013