Once More With Feeling: Singles 1996-2004 Review

placebo: Once More With Feeling: Singles 1996-2004
Released: Nov 30, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Neo-Glam, Britpop, Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
This 19-song collection includes all of their biggest hits. It's also a look back on Placebo's conscious effort to maintain a campy, glam rock-influenced rock sound.
 9.8
 9.7
 9.9
Once More With Feeling: Singles 1996-2004 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2005

Sound: I've always loved Placebo. I love the way they mix punk with techno and alternative pop. They're melancholic and serious, as well as great musicians. Their sond is always different and they introduced a genre of music, the alternative punk. This is why they are so important in the world of music. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Brian Molko are always brilliant and provocative. He speaks with a lot of metaphors and he's very sarcastic. Here's my one by one song review: 01. 36 Degrees - this is one of the first songs by Placebo that became popular. A classic. 18/20. 02. Teenage Angst - second single they released and a must-have for anyone that loves meaningful lyrics. 20/20. 03. Nancy Boy - well this is the reason why some people just hate Placebo: the lyrics! In this song the lyrics are really provocative, but I love it. 17/20. 04. Bruise Pristine - this is the only song that I don't like that much in the album. It's a little annoying. 14/20. 05. Pure Morning - I really love this song and the video is also great. They really know how to say what they mean. 20/20. 06. You Don't Care About Us - this song is, in some ways, commercial. The chorus is very catchy and the riffs are well done. 18/20. 07. Every You Every Me - I've always loved this song! It's really catchy since the first time you hear it and the lyrics are also brilliant. 20/20. 08. Without You I'm Nothing (featuring David Bowie) - I have to admit that I don't like David Bowie, but in this song he does an awesome job. Brian Molko wrote a wonderful duet with Mr. Bowie and the lyrics are also great. 19/20. 09. Taste In Man - this is one of the most popular songs by Placebo, and there's a reason for that: Placebo knows the formula to make awesome songs that keep you singing all along. 17/20. 10. Slave To The Wage - this song has great melodies and is very catchy. The lyrics are impressive and agressive. 18/20. 11. Special K - at first I have to say that this song is not commercial and did a great success, what is fantastic! This time Placebo used a special effects in the video, what made it just perfect (like the song)! 20/20. 12. Black-Eyed - this is not a popular song, but I'm very happy they put it on the album. It just rochs! The lyrics are meaningful and brilliant. 20/20. 13. The Bitter End - this is not their best song, but it's not bad. The only problem is that the lyrics don't mean much. Despite of everything, it's an amazing song. 17/20. 14. This Picture - I identify myself with this song in everyay because when I was in love with a girl and heard this song in MTV, I started to understand that I didn't love her, but just her face and body. Awesome song! 20/20. 15. Special Needs - this is one of the latest hits from the band and it is the main reason why I bought the album, just like Special K. Amazing music and lyrics. Depressive and meaningful! 20/20. 16. English Summer Rain - this song is the one that you can call Techno because the original version is just like a remix (if you already know the song, you know what I'm talking about). The lyrics are also depressive, but great. 17/20. 17. Protige Moi - I don't really like the Frech language, but this song is not bad. The chorus and the back vocals are amazing. The lyrics are about not falling in templations and they are the thing I most like in Protge Moi. 18/20. 18. I Do - this is one not a hit, but I still love it. 18/20. 19. Twenty Years - well this is one of the best songs that I heard in years! The lyrics are a piece of art, as well as the music. 20/20. // 10

Overall Impression: In conclusion: I love Placebo and I'll always do because they are one of the best bands in the world of music. They show something that has never been seen before! The bass, the guitar, the drums and the voice are just awesome! The lyrics and the sound are very well mixed and you can notice that they are really a talented band! The best songs in the album are: Special K, Special Needs, Twenty Years and Teenage Angst. If it were stolen I'd kick the thief's ass 'till it was blue and grey! If you find it, don't hesitate to buy it and you won't be disappointed! // 10

Once More With Feeling: Singles 1996-2004 Reviewed by: feesk8ordie, on january 07, 2005

Sound: I think Placebo have a great sound, sort of dark rock, sometimes a bit punky, sometimes a bit gothic. And as this is their greatest hits album, it has all their most well known songs, which are all excellent. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, I think Placebo are brilliant. Sometimes the lyrics have a twisted style, not unlike some Nirvana songs, but at other times the songs are just acoustic love songs, others work with the theme of drugs. Overall, I'd say the lyrics span a range of topics // 10

Overall Impression: Most Placebo fans will already have all or most of the songs on this disc. For anyone who is not a great fan, but interested, or anyone who likes bands like Silverchair, or anyone who just likes some good rock, I would seriously recommend this album. For me standout tracks are Every Me Every You, Special K, Twenty Years, I Do, and Pure Morning. All of them are great though. // 10

Once More With Feeling: Singles 1996-2004 Reviewed by: bear_u_love, on january 13, 2006

Sound: It's placebo and what you see in was you get, I find it hard to label them under a percific rock type e.g. alternitve, indie, heavy metal there just Placebo really and thats what really separates them as one of the best bands around to date. Everyone of the Placebo albums I bought were fantastic and like the rest 'Once More With Feeling' provides that same jagged edge which startled me to begin with. // 9

Lyrics: Placebo's writing talents and lyrics are cleary evident to be great, they mean something. They make you feel it songs such as Taste In Men and Nancy Boy prove this. Brian Molko has a very different approach to other band front men his immence talent is sang behind a trashy rock/pop voice mixed with the band inavitive sound though this is a cocktail of brilliance. // 10

Overall Impression: Placebo really don't compare to any other rock band around there sound, there style and there songs are one step ahead. I belive due to the way Brian Molko has been percived in the media 'A Boring Drama Queen' that Placebo's music has unfortunatley been unable to reach the lengths that it could of done. If I was to describe placebo it would be extremly difficult but there are one band that seem so different but are strikingly similar to them, and that is nirvana who provide the same qualities and strangley enough biran and kurt are alike in a way (in a music sence that is). I love Placebo and I urge enyone into soft, heavy, acoustic or even pop music just to go out and buy this album. Brian Molko is the most underated musician of the decade. // 10

Once More With Feeling: Singles 1996-2004 Reviewed by: allchavsrgay, on february 20, 2006

Sound: From listening to this album a few times it has started to grow on me I was not used to the unique sound of his voice at first but the more you listen to it the better it gets. This album is full of strange chords to get there sound just a bit different. There is also a song where Brian Molko's singing accompanied by David Bowie and there voices go together really well. // 8

Lyrics: As most of you should no who listen to placebos lyrics they don't make much sense until you think about them. But I wasn't to impressed by track 17 Protogo Moi witch is French so when listening to it you don't have a clue what's going on. They are well fought through and mixed with Brian Molko just adds to the atmosphere. // 10

Overall Impression: This is defiantly there best album as it is full of all the best songs form all there older albums. If there is a Placebo fan out there with no albums I would strongly recomend this one. // 9

More Placebo reviews rating latest review
+ Loud Like Love 6.5 09/17/2013