Without You I'm Nothing Review

9.8
 9.7
 9.9
Without You I'm Nothing Reviewed by: Emenius Sleepus, on march 23, 2004

Sound: The sound is evil enough to grab the listener and to keep one interested. New, fresh and just goddamn brilliant. There's enough atmosphere for little kids to have nightmares and for goths to rejoice, enough punk spirit to kick your ass, and enough weird sounds to make Tom Morello, Matt Bellamy and Adam Jones jealous. Except they are all about equally good in producing weird sounds, so I guess I'm just jealous of all of them. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are just plain weird. But it's a case of good weird. Just go buy the damn album, then you'll see. In some cases there are just a couple of phrases in the whole song, and some are epics - the lyrics to end all lyrics. once again, just buy the damn thing. // 10

Overall Impression: If I was to compare this to anyone, it would probably be Muse, they are both british, have individual sounds (although they are very roughly) heading in a similar direction. As you'd come to expect from Placebo, the songs are all pretty good, sounds great, period. I daresay if it was stolen, I'd find the fucker who did it, educate him on what placebo means to me, then beat the living fuck out of him, he'd better hope he still breathes. That just about finishes my review. In all, the cd is great, great, great, and you should go buy it, weld it inot your cd player and play it until hell freezes over, or until you die, or until Brian Molko himself doesn't come to your house and personally kicks your ass because you haven't been listening to this cd. Ok? 5 out of 5 out of 5 out of.. you get the idea. // 10

Without You I'm Nothing Reviewed by: ohdarn323, on february 18, 2004

Sound: I first heard of Placebo from Flip's "Sorry" video. "Every Me Every You" immediately grabbed me. This CD has a lot of variety on it, from heavier songs like "Scared of Girls" and "Without You I'm Nothing" to softer songs such as "Burger Queen" and "My Sweet Prince". Some of the songs didn't appeal to me, but the album as a whole grew on me. // 8

Lyrics: Brian Molko is one of my favorite songwriters. His voice, along with his powerful and catchy lyrics make an excellent combination. "Every Me Every You" is one of the best lyrical songs I've ever heard. "Like the naked leads the blind I know I'm selfish, I'm unkind Sucker love, I always find Someone to bruise and leave behind All alone in space and time There's nothing here, but what here's mine Something borrowed, something blue Every me and every you" Allergic has great lyrics as well: "Any means in your horizon, Heaven, and a tourniquet The afterlife, to keep your eyes On bitter pill, you take today" Burger Queen has excellent lyrics too: "Slightly bemused by the total rejection Came to this world by Ceasarean section Dreams of a place with a better selection Dreams of a face that is pure in perfection" Excellent lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Definitely worth buying. One of Placebo's best albums, in my opinion. The songs that stand out the most are "Pure Morning", "Without You I'm Nothing", "Every Me Every You", "Burger Queen", as well as others. I love Brian's voice, and the songwriting is excellent. // 10

More Placebo reviews rating latest review
+ Loud Like Love 6.5 09/17/2013