All That We Needed Review

Released: Jan 25, 2005
Label: Fearless
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk-Pop, Emo
Less punk than infectious power pop, Plain White T's put a modern, airwave-affable stamp on that beloved strain of the rock & roll virus with "All That We Needed".
 9.7
 9.3
All That We Needed Reviewed by: fanosimpleplan1, on july 14, 2005

Sound: This band is overall amazing! It's just good pop-rock with catchy heartfelt lyrics. Add some awesome bass lines in there, beautiful vocals and harmonies, cool guitar solos, great drum beats. This is the bands 2nd album and on this album they sound more like Jimmy Eat World and The Strokes. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are meaningful and honest. The lead singer Tom Higgenson was in a car accident in 1999 and ever since then, he has written some truly deep lyrics and has looked at life from a different perspective. Some topics include backstabbing ex-girlfriends, suicide, being in love, being ignored by your parents, long distance relationships, and just being lazy. Stuff that anyone can relate to. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said they sound a lot like Jimmy Eat World through the vocals and guitars, but they have bass lines as good as Green Day. Some of my favorite songs on this album include, "Breakdown," "Lazy Day Afternoon," "Hey There, Delilah," "Last Call" and the first single "Take Me Away." If this album was stolen from me, I'd definately buy it again, that's how great this album is. And their live shows are just as amazing. These guys really don't get enough credit, they're nice guys with hot dance moves who like to throw pancakes into the audience. Check 'em out! // 10

All That We Needed Reviewed by: Andy949494, on january 25, 2013

Sound: Bought this album on the strength of the tiny fragment of "Take Me Away" that they played in the Pen advert (in the UK) and ended up buying one of my all time favourite albums. The Album is very good and quite varied in style varying from a Ballad (Hey there "Deliah" - a lovely song) to fairly high energy rock songs (like "Take Me Away") although nothing gets really heavy. I put it on a lot and sing a long to it a lot. Its a good fun album and well worth the money if you like traditional "bands" and good simple musicianship. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are written from the point of view of teenagers and about being teenagers and so have quite a refreshing simplicity to them but they are not "punk" (not really even "Alternative Punk"). They are far too eloquent, aren't really rebelling, and its far too high energy, happy and positive for that. (Even "Take Me Away" which is written about a boy who doesn't want to stay at a party in which his ex is at still manages to do it with a huge amount of energy and it leaves you happy and refreshed (with a sore throat from singing). // 10

Overall Impression: I don't really know who they compare to. They are ploughing there own high energy thinking teenage rock furrow and good for them. They don't have that dull agro of modern punk bands or the genuine aggressive stupidity of real punk bands like the s? X pistols and they don't rap or have the aggressive guitar lines of someone like RATM. Although its quite a lot less "rocky" the Ed Shearan "+" album is the closest in terms of quality of lyrics and thoughts behind them. If I lost it I would definitely buy it again. Stand out tracks are probably quite controversial except for two but mine are (at the moment): "Hey There Delilah", "Revenge", "Lazy Day Afternoon" and of course "Take Me Away". But there are others on the album that are probably equally good. // 10

More Plain White Ts reviews rating latest review