Every Second Counts Review

Genres: Power Pop
 7.9
 7.7
Every Second Counts Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 05, 2006

Sound: There are certain bands that are sure to flourish on MTV and TRL, primarily because of their emotion-filled lyrics and accessible, easy-on-the-ear, power-pop sound. The Plain White T's fit this bill pretty well, and they have already even had a few songs featured on shows like the one-time music channel's Undressed and The Real Word/Road Rules Challenge. So before you even hear the band's latest record Every Second Counts, you might have some idea of what you'll be hearing. The band doesn't venture to far out of the expected format, but vocalist Tom Higgenson does have enough talent to carry the songs further than you might they could have otherwise. It's not that the Plain White T's (vocalist Tom Higgenson, guitarists Dave Tirio and Tim Lopez, bassist Mike Retondo, drummer De'Mar Hamilton) is playing into the hand of MTV, but their songs do tend to sound like too much of what abounds on MTV and Top 40 radio these days. Vocalist Higgenson is extremely talented, but he also sounds eerily similar to Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump throughout the Every Second Counts. Even so, Higgenson's vocals are the best part of Plain White T's and his voice actually acts like an instrument itself at times, thanks to his extensive range, impressive harmonies and unique phrasing. The first single, Hate (I Really Don't Like You) is absolutely an infectious song, even if you're not the fond of the power pop genre. With the introduction simply being Higgenson singing, Love, love, love, love, love in a Spanish-style melody, it succeeds at going beyond the usual pop format. The build up to the verse features a creative and upbeat guitar riff, which keeps the song strong even in between the vocals. It's also actually a fairly humorous song considering that the vocals are sung with such glee despite the lyrics that are saturated with bitterness. The band has an extremely happy sound, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it will probably turn off a lot of rock purists out there. While there are some interesting picking rhythms in songs like You And Me, most of the songs do stick with basic chord progression and leave most of the creativity to vocalist Higgenson. // 8

Lyrics: If you've heard Hate (I Really Don't Like You) already, then you're probably at least slightly amused. It's an interesting take on a song of love gone sour and will probably strike a chord if you've found yourself saying something similar about an ex. Higgenson sings, Hate is a strong word; But I really, really, really don't like you; Now that it's over; I don't even know what I liked about you. You'll probably have the lyrics stuck in your head after one listen. When that happens, you know that there is something at least a little bit unique about the song -- regardless if you like it or not. The track Making A Memory is a bit more characteristic of the Plain White T's with it's emotionally driven lyrics. Higgenson sings, Look at me; Can't you see; We were meant to be; Making a memory. There is plenty of relationship talk on Every Second Counts, and songs like Making A Memory may be a bit too sappy for some listeners. These are the types of songs that will likely either connect immediately with you or leave you running from the room. // 8

Overall Impression: The musical emphasis on Every Second Counts is placed on the harmonies most of the time, and the other instruments are probably taking the less-is-more approach. Granted, Higgenson's vocals are probably the strongest aspect of the record, but without his unique phrasing and vocal range, the songs would be a shell of what they currently are. That's relying a lot on one member of the band, and it's unfortunate that the other members of the band don't get a chance to showcase their own talents a bit more. The Plain White T's are not a bad band by any means and many of the new songs are instantly catchy, but there is a reason why shows on MTV find them accessible. They play songs that are more pop than rock, and the sentimental lyrics will probably be appreciated by their fans. Still, if you're looking for bands that look more outside of the box, the Plain White T's won't likely leave any kind of lasting impression. // 8

Every Second Counts Reviewed by: Drew/Dawg, on february 26, 2007

Sound: They are not like ordinary bands out there but that is what makes them so great. I kinda see it as them starting their own kinda genre. To me they are a mix between Panic! At the Disco and Snow Patrol. They aren't as down beat at Snow Patrol and not as over-well ming as Panic! At the Disco. Both great bands of coarse. // 8

Lyrics: Their lyrics have to do with almost all bands lyrics (relationships) but the way I see it they like to add their own little twists and streaks of humor here and there and then again they aren't afraid to be serious when the time comes. This CD had a very great way of giving you all the aspects of Plain White T's music and then some giving us great hits such as "Hate (I Really Don't Like You)" to "Come Back To Me". The singer's skills are acceptable but I do think there are more talented vocalists out there who's voices seem to be more skilled in posting images in your mind and thoughts. // 9

Overall Impression: I think it compared well to other albums through-out not only this artist but others as well. It's hard to pin down which songs are the best out of this album considering I can listen to this CD all day and not particularly favor a song but just how much they all have to give you. If this CD was stolen/lost I am more then positive that I would rush down to the nearest Wal-Mart, Target, or Mall to get this CD again. It's one of my favorites out of a collection of almost 150 CDs. // 8

Every Second Counts Reviewed by: Andy_strat, on december 01, 2007

Sound: On the back of the insert on this album it mentions who the inspirations are for this band (Simple Plan, Motion City Soundtrack, The Academy is, Sugarcult and many more), you can tell very easily that this is most definatly the case. They fall into quite a commercial scene with slow songs such as "hey there delilah" which was a massive international hit and "write you a song." However they show that they can crank up the sound and distortion and deliver some very memorable songs with catchy tunes and enticing lead riffs. This is a good album with 5 or 6 very good songs, however the others are not really that memorable and after one listen that's al you need the songs are as follows. 01. Hey There Delilah - easy to sing to and the music is very basic yet effective, as already mentioned an international hit, the basic rhythm and sound does not change throughout the song so people may say that it gets slightly repetitive, overall a very good song. 02. Our Time Now - this second song on the album is quite a contrast to the first, it comes in with the chorus chords and then leads to a funky verse riff, the drums provide a very jumpy beat which adds to the energy of the song. The song works very well together with a good structure, this could be the next big hit for this band. 03. Come Back To Me - a slow build up to a catchy chorus in this song, the drums still provide a positive beat to this song, also very well structured song, the vocals work well with the guitars, another good song. 04. Hate (I Really Don't Like You) - this is the fourth song and I think this is the most likely to become a single and sell big, the verses are quite slow but an enjoyable listen, the lyrics to this song are very easy to pick up and sing to, the backing vocals work well with this song, the song is about a break up and the emotions after an eventful ending, however this still makes for a very good song. 05. You And Me - this has to be the most indie funk song on the album, the initial riff is very fun and makes you want to listen, the verses and chorus are quite repetitive though so if this isn't your style then the chances are this song isn't for you, however I think this is a very fun song. It is about how two people are made for each other and can finish their sentences etc. 06. Friends Don't Let Friends Dial Drunk - maybe a bland intro, however the lyrics liven up the beat to make this quite a enjoyable mid paced song. This song talks about him being alone at home and her being out with their friends and she wont call him unless she has nothing better to do even though she is meant to love him. This song is not one of their best, some of these songs are quite like the others and this is therefore not one of the best on the album. 07. Making A Memory - this song is about the title "Making A Memory", this is another slow song however it is not as fun or catchy as hey there delilah, the chords and drums are all put together well however they could have done with spicing you this song a little. 08. So Damn Clever - this is a well put together song with the chords and the riff working well together. This song is about under estimating a girl and her breaking his heart. This also seems like quite a commercial song which is a good and a bad thing as I don't know that if it was released people would take to much notice as it would be another of the same thing. 09. Tearin' Us Apart - this song is about him talking to his girlfriends and realizing that he is braking up the relationship. Quite a funky song but quite slow, again not destined for a big hit and slightly samey however still a good song. 10. Write You A Song - this is another slow song on the album, this song is very good lyrically, the chords are well played here and work well to the lyrics, the band has taken the tone down a lot for this song as there is not much going on, mainly the same chords and lyric pattern the whole way through. This song is saying how he is not good enough for her but he will write her a song to show that he loves her. 11. Gimme A Chance - this song is asking for a chance over all of these other guys and if she doesn't like him then she can just walk out and away. The song has a good chorus however I think the verse is a bit bland, well put together song and adds to the story of love and loss throughout the album. 12. Figure It Out - catchy intro and lyrics throughout the song the guitar is obvious with little solo's here and there. This song explains how it's not his fault that there was a breakup, it was her fault and he was misunderstood, a catchy song, appeals to the more pop orientated audience. 13. Take You There - another good slow song, the chorus is very nice to listen to and the song says how they can hide away and shield there relationship in a place where no one knows. The music gradually builds up during the song until it comes to a halt and returns to the verse. A good song however nothing too special. 14 Take Me Away - a good final song, very upbeat, this song says how he is at the end of his temper and he wants to hurt someone but he needs to be taken away to he cant. There is a small solo in this song, not a work of genius but works well with the rest of the song. This is a very well put together album with a good proportion of good songs. Well worth a buy or a listen! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were very catchy and made most of the songs good, without the catchy lyrics, some songs could have been quite bland. The lyrics can stick in your mind and are easily understandable unlike some bands and songs where you can't make heads nor tails of some lyrics. The lyrics are all relationship related and this does not just mean break up, it is also about good times for example in the song 'You And Me' Higgenson sings "we got style and baby we know how to use it, that's why we make a good you and me." The Plain White T's have written some emotionally powerfully lyrics and hidden them in amungst catchy songs which means that to get the complete message you have to listen quite hard to all of the songs. I think that lead vocals for the Plain White T's are very good however he could try and show off a little more with his voice. The lyrics and the music worked together very well. The catchy beats were complimented by the vocals on top which made for some very good music. // 7

Overall Impression: I think that this is one of the best albums I have bought for a long time, this album doesn't just have the one or two good songs, it has 5 or 6 which is a very high amount I feel. All of the instruments worked well to get the feel and musical effect that they were aiming for. The album just kind of hits you and takes after the first song "hey there delilah" which is a good introductory song but maybe a little slow. I think this album excels with fun, fast songs that blend well with the slow melodies that break up the album. However I think on a couple of the songs there could have been a little bit more edge added to them just to spice it all up a little. Overall a very impressive album and I think this is well worth buying for anyone with any musical taste. // 7

More Plain White Ts reviews rating latest review