Legends Review

artist: Plectra date: 05/15/2008 category: compact discs
Plectra: Legends
Release Date: 2008
Genres: Rock
The songs all sound too similar, too depressing, and too monotonous, which is frustrating as there is a lot of potential with Plectra.
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Legends Reviewed by: UG Team, on may 15, 2008

Sound: Hailing from Manchester, Plectra's Legends is the sound of a depressed Englishman and his guitar. From the instant Legends kicks off with first track Zombie White, you can feel the room getting colder, and the light getting darker. The guitars on Zombie White, much like the rest of the songs off the album, are slow, dark, depressing, and monotonous. The tempo for the song doesn't change and the vocals are just as monotonous and sinister as the backing track. Zombie White is not a great start to the album as the depressing mood of the track, plus the annoying electronic hi-hat replicas that resemble a gnat that refuses to leave, get boring and tedious. After listening to the opening track, or at least the parts you didn't skip through, you hope for better. I would love to say that Legends hits the expectations mark after a dodgy opening, but if I did I would be lying. Second track Suffocating Love is just as monotonous, boring and droning as Zombie White. It also appears that the electronic gnat has, unfortunately, not died but has chosen to invite a couple of friends along to join him in his quest of aggravation. Alas, the rest of the album continues in such fashion: the gnat and his friends 'gnat-ing away' in the background while a depressed man sings over an equally 'strung out' guitar, excuse the pun. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics on Legends are what you could call the extreme opposite of a Bowling for Soup song. Not only are they depressing in sound and mood, but they aren't very engaging in content either. Here is an extract from the song Cloud Called Raven: There is a cloud called Raven; I wish she would fly away; Die beyond the atmosphere; Floating forever in the stratosphere; There is a cloud called Raven; Darkened angel by my soul; And the cloud called Raven; Could follow me to the grave and beyond. The only frustrating thing about this is that there is some serious Matt Skiba potential within some of the lines. Minus the out of tune vocals, Plectra has potential if he honed his lyrical skills as the lyrics could prospectively be appealing in a Gothic and Emo-esque way. // 5

Overall Impression: Unfortunately the impression throughout is that the record is generally quite poor. The songs all sound too similar, too depressing, and too monotonous. As mentioned above, it is frustrating as there is a lot of potential in Plectra. Aside from polishing the lyrical skills, the guitar parts could be more interesting and exciting. I understand that this album is not meant to be of the jolly, upbeat genre but it doesn't hurt to change the tempo once in a while. Losing the gnat would help too. // 2

Comments