Fundamental Elements Of Southtown Review

pod: Fundamental Elements Of Southtown
Release Date: Aug 24, 1999
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal, Post-Grunge
With The Fundamental Elements Of Southtown, POD shows considerable promise, crafting an album that flows from aggressive rap-metal to trippy, Beastie-styled reggae dub excursions.
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Fundamental Elements Of Southtown Reviewed by: CapnKickass, on december 26, 2007

Sound: Well, I've had this CD now since jr. high, I'm now graduated from high school and P.O.D. is still on the top of my list of favorite bands. Fundamental Elements is so far my favorite of their studio releases. It is a mix of hard rock, nu-metal, rap, and reggae. Many of the songs are hard hitting with some excellent beats from Wuv(drums)and some signiture P.O.D. vocals by Sonny ranging from gently singing to rapping to straight out shouting, it always has a very powerful sound too it. The guitarist Marcos seems to like contrasting a lot of heavy Drop D and C powerchord riffs with beautiful ambient interludes, as well as some 'spanish guitar' type melodies. Traa on bass shines the most during the interludes and really adds to the mood of the songs. Overall the music has a real depth to it. The mixture of rock, rap, and reggae give this band a unique sound that is always recognizable without sounding weird. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in almost all the songs are really strong and kickass and they are delivered, I would say, exceptionally well. The songs talk about topics like selling out, the hardships in their lives growing up, and overall is about a having a strong faith in God aka Jah (as they refer to him here and there) and letting him guide them through their lives. There are no wasted words. The choruses are really awesome and a lot of the time are pretty heavy, particularly songs like Outkast: "Outkast, I'm an Outkast! But don't count me out! Brace yourself like a man!" The verses are usually a combination of being sung and rapped, they usually ryhme and are very catchy backed up with the band. Wuv has sweet fills going on a lot. // 9

Overall Impression: This album has 16 tracks 11 of which are full songs and 5 are neat things like an intro and a small instrumental and so forth. There's also a bonus instrumental at the end of the CD if you let play for a while after the final track. It sounds really cool and has a jungle vibe to it. My favorite tracks off this CD are: Southtown, Bullet the Blue Sky (I think it's supposed to be a cover of a U2 song), Lie Down, Image, Tribal, Outkast. These ones are all awesome heavy songs that'll make you nod your head. There's also Set Your Eyes To Zion which is a cool ambient reggae song with a nice little guitar solo. The only song that'd I'd consider filler would be Rock The Party, just a party song obviously, still catchy though. Overall I like this CD just a bit more then I like Satellite, on account of it being a bit more hard rock/metal sounding. And after having this CD for around 6 years and my musical tastes changing to stuff like Zeppelin and Megadeth and so forth. I can still throughly enjoy it, in all of it's awesomeness. One more thing, the art for the album cover is really cool and it has a lot of layers and metaphorical images, it's one of those things you can keep staring at and find something new. I give it an 8, where-as Master Of Puppets I would consider a 10. // 8

More Pod reviews rating latest review
+ Murdered Love 8.1 08/01/2012