Payable On Death Review

Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal
 Lyrics: 8.2
Payable On Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2004

Sound: The style changes, Truby and the guys did a good job on not making any two songs sound alike except for freedom fighters and waiting on today but over all it was good variety. There some good guitar riffs and traa the bassist always does good on his bass. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. Sonny is great at what he does he can rap, sing (kinda), he can do both at the same time, and he can definatly yell. He rights such great lyrics probably because of his christian influence. He knows what it's like to be happy, sad, scared, confused, joyous, and excited and that's what he does on this album just like the others. But I wish he would rap more in this one I think it's great I don't know why other ppl don't like it. // 10

Overall Impression: It's just as good but not any better than the other albums. The lyrics were awsome but they weren't as good as the ones on the previous albums (Snuff The Punk, Brown, Fundemental Elements Of Southtown, and Sattelite). The guitar playing was a different style it's not like the old hardcore street stuff, it's still hard but not headbanging hard it's sound just as good but it's just different. I'd have to say this isn't there best album but it's not there worst. I was expecting more but I'm not complaning. // 8

Payable On Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 08, 2004

Sound: POD's sound is just amazing. They know how to mixture rap, metal and a little funk. Even though I love this band and this album, it has some songs that I just skip, like Eternal, an instrumental 6 minutes track played in acoustic guitar. The band suffered a lot of changes because their old guitarist, Marcos Curiel left the band in January of 2003 (I still don't know why!) Now, in his place there's the old guitarist of a band called Living Sacrifice, Jason Truby. In my point of view, he's an exelent guitar player and he introduced a new kind of style to this great band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were better with Marcos Curiel, but this is a thing that I believe they can change with some time. There are songs with great lyrics like: Will You, I And Identify or Change The World. Marcos is gone, but the positivity of the band is still present in the lyrics. I think that Sonny Sandoval, the lead singer, is a great musician, as well as a great songwriter, but he could have done a better job. // 8

Overall Impression: Even though the lyrics are worse, the great guitar riffs, the positivity, the musicianship and the the great band that they were just got better. Jason plays the guitar better than Marcos, Traa improoved a lot with his bass, Sonny can never get better and Wuv has now, more than ever, that beat that makes us cry for more. In my opinion, a great album for Hardcore fans and guys that love heavy music. // 10

Payable On Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 10, 2004

Sound: POD's sound is innovative because they are not afraid to play a song with any type of music in it. Jason Truby, their new guitarist, is a very good addition to the band in the wake of Marcos Curiel's departure. They are balanced with the musicianship of each member of the band. The band's amazing musical talent comes through in Eternal, an instrumental. Many people don't think the instrumentals are necessary, but I like them. In my opinion, these guys are the greatest band with only one guitarist out there. // 10

Lyrics: Sonny is a masterful songwriter. All of their songs are based on values that are important in the world today, like love and faith and respect. No songwriter is perfect, however. Sonny doesn't slip up often, but Asthma wasn't one of my favorite works by him. The lyrics go well with the music and with POD's image as a God-friendly rock-rap band, although now they're more rock than rap. // 8

Overall Impression: This is their second best album, after Satellite, and only because Satellite has so many hits on it. Will You is, I think, their second best song ever, after Alive. Wildfire is also a very good song. The only slip up that I can think of is Asthma. Not a horrible song, but it could use some work. If this was stolen, I would kill the guy who stole it and buy it again right away. // 10

Payable On Death Reviewed by: ScumoftheEarth, on december 27, 2004

Sound: When POD first entered into the mainstream music scene, their sound was an infusion of rap and heavy rock, with a dash of reggae. On the CD Payable On Death, they have a sound all their own. They take away some of the Rage Against The Machine type angry rap, and add more rock. Part of the reason for this is the addition of Truby, the new guitarist replacing Marcos, the guitarist for their earlier records. Sonny, the lead singer, has also changed his style. Instead of the angrier, more menacing vocals on earlier CD's, Sonny's vocals are more laid back, with a reggae-dub flavor to them. If you liked the way POD sounded on Satellite or The Fundemental Elements Of Southtown, you may shy away from their lighter, metal side. This new sound is showcased heavily in Payable On Death. However, they still rock harder han most abnds out there. Overall, it is a new, unique sound, and is definitely worth checking out if you are a long-time fan, or have never heard of POD. // 8

Lyrics: Sonny is definitely a skilled songwriter. The lyrics on the CD are easy to relate to and well written. However, that does not add to his singing talent. While he can rap well, and adds some very cool island-jamaican sounding vocals, that doesn't make up for the fact that he can't sing well. On earlier albums where there was more rap and less rock, this was not a problem. Because of the change in sound, you can easily tell that pure singing isn't Sonny's best musical quaity. Apart from this, the lyrics and music work very well together. Truby, the new guitarist, is able to add a new sound on guitar that works with Sonny's new style. All in all, if you like POD's new sound, you will like the way the vocals sound as well. If not, then you probably won't have this CD in your player for very long. The lyrics are thoughtful, well put together, and easy to relate to. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this CD is a fairly good CD. It has a new, unique sound, that you might or might not like. My favorite song is Execute The Sounds, which has an island feel to it. It blends all of POD's sounds into 1 song. I also like Will You, Revolution, an Find My Way. Also, while I like the instrumental song Eternal, others may not. I like how POD is bringing in a new sound that is totally unique from any other bands. What I don't like is the vocals. With more singing and less rap, you can see the vocals aren't top notch. Overall, it is a pretty good CD. // 8

Payable On Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2003

Sound: This is a big change from Satellite, and I think most people will agree, Thank God! I was a little worried that they were selling out to da man. But 'Payable on Death' stears clear of hardrock pop and POD comes back, more-so, to the sounds of 'Southtown', despite thier guitarists departure. Their mix of hard rock, nu'metal and reggae create a sound that is unique. The guitar work is more complex and melodic than previous albums thanks to thier new guitarist, plus with the guitar work of Phil Keaggy in two of thier tracks, how can you go wrong? // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are good, more in the style of 'Southtown' than 'Satellite'. The lyric fits well with the music and he stays away from rapping for the most part (which is a good thing, seeing we all know how long rap-core lasted). // 8

Overall Impression: I gave it 4 cause I like 'Southtown' more. But this album is nothing to ignore. Check out Revolution and Execute the Sound (Revolution features Phil Keaggy). It's totally worth buying, for the reason that its a good cd and that no one really sounds like this cd (unlike Satellite). If you like'em check out Blindside! // 8

Payable On Death Reviewed by: ANewFoundPride, on march 11, 2004

Sound: Not much out of the ordinary here. POD has a good sound and a lot of great bass parts, and they do well on wildfire and the last track which is an instrumental which has some pretty cool guitar stuff. This music is fun stuff to play, but just something that you might not want to listen to alot. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on this cd aren't much to speak for either. The vocals sound nice, and have a good rock attitude about them. // 8

Overall Impression: I have heard POD in the past (Youth of The Nation, Alive) and they sounded pretty good. I was walking througth fred meyer one day right before I had to go on vacation and I saw this cd and decided to pick it up since I had heard Will You and was interested in it. It turned out to be a good decision in the end. It has its moments but nothing that really sets itself apart from any other album. If you have liked Satellite (their previous album), then go pick this up. It's worth the $12-$16 you will probably spend on it. // 6

Payable On Death Reviewed by: Jpinales2004, on november 02, 2004

Sound: When I first listened to this CD, my thoughts were. I got robbed! It was nothing like I expected it. I heard good things about "Satellite" and because it wasn't in the store at the time I decided to pick this one up. It is loud, strong and it delivers. However it is not what I thought it would be. It is a good CD without a doubt and it has some kickass songs too however don't expect a "Use Your Illusion I or II" out of it. It ain't that good. // 8

Lyrics: POD is a band known for having strong and catchy riffs and deep lyrics that deliver the bands Christian faith in a subtle yet clear way. There is not a single song with crappy lyrics, I can guarantee you that but some songs sound good and the lyrics don't quite go (but they never reach the crappy level)with the sound (The Reasons)or the songs have good lyrics but the sound doesn't deliver. This is the CD from my point of view: 01. WildfireWill You - the first single they throwed. Real good stuff. This song has some of the best lyrics in the album. The part in which he screams "Will You" like crazy was wack to me at first but you'll get used to it. 4 out of 5. 03. Change The World - the best song in the whole CD. This was the second single they released but people apparently didn't care and it didn't get as much airplay as "Will You" did. Great lyrics with a great riff. 5 out of 5. 04. Execute The Sounds - great song. Another excellent song. In this song you can appreciate how Sonny uses this Jamaican accent to kind of rap the lyrics that talk about Jah (Jesus,Javeh). Is all right. 4.5 out of 5. 05. Find My Way - good but not as good as the 4 before it. It may just be me but this song just doesnt apppeal to me. I skip it sometimes. 3 out of 5. 06. Revolution - good yet catchy and at the same time with decent lyrics. 3.5 out of 5. 07. The Reasons - the same case as Find My Way. Is not that good tend to skip it. A filling, if you ask me. 2.5 out of 5. 08. Freedom Fighter - the song is good better than most of the CD and the only one in the middle able to step up to the first 4 if you ask me. 4 out of 5. 09. Waiting On Today - good but still nothing that stands out of the crowd once again. Better than many of the others though. 3.5 out of 5. 10. I And Identify - good solo. That is it. 3.5 out of 5. 11. Asthma - this song is heavy and wack. Well we can always skip to Wildfire. 2 out of 5. 12. Eternal - an acoustic 6:00 minute (or so) instrumental song. Well Wildfire it is. 1 out of 5. // 8

Overall Impression: The album is good but don't expect it to be outstanding or anything. Is not close to bad but is just doesn't have anything special or brings anything new to the table. What I don't like about this CD is how they throw all the best songs headfirst. Beside the CD brings a demo of some Amplitude game for PS2. I dont have a PS2 so I'm screwed. I wouldn't buy this CD if it got lost. No way. POD is good but is not GN'R, AC/DC or Stryper. // 8

Payable On Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 18, 2005

Sound: I've been a POD fan for about 6 years. What I have always loved about them was their unique mix of hard rock, rap, and a little reggae. They have good energy and emotion and all was great up until this album. This one failed to bring the fans what they wanted. At first I loved it because I havent heard anything from these guys in 2 years. That was in 2003 when it was released. But now here we are in 2005 and the record is out of my head and has been for a few years. It is just not memorable enough. A good record should always be there for you to just pop in your CD player no matter how old it is. This one just seemed to fade away. The sound wasn't anything spectacular. It isn't real heavy which I imagined it to be sice they recieved a new guitarist since Satelite (their hit album). Instead it had this mellow laid back hard rock sound with a hint of reggae foun in a some tracks. This totally screwed up the raw enegetic sound that POD has always had. I'm not saying this record is bad it isn't, it's just a huge dissapointment from past albums. It's an average album and it has its moments but it just isn't good enough to satisfy a fan for a few years until their next record comes out. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrics are average some are good some are great others are merely ok. Sonny (the singer) doesn't scream as much in this one as he has done before. He seemed to lack energy and raw emotion like past albums. Hes got good skills singing and when he raps or does his reggae thing but his full potential isn't shown on this record. // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to past POD albums this isnt quite up to par. It has some good songs but overall is weak. The best songs on the album are Wildfire, Will You, Execute The Sounds, Iand Identify, Asthma, and Eternal. What I love about the album is how the band has good chemistry together with their new guitarist, but this band can do better. I lost this CD a while ago but I downlaoded some tracks I liked thankfully. But I did not buy it again. I figured that since it wasn't that good and since I did downlaod some tracks I should just check out another CD. POD has a bew record coming out in 2005. In 2 or 3 monthes we will see if they can make a better one. // 6

Payable On Death Reviewed by: deanguitars, on february 24, 2004

Sound: I like the new guitarist. He's very creative. Great work on "change the world". Simple but awesome. And you have to give credit to a good-one guitar band. I don't own any other POD cd's, "Will you" was what got me to buy they're new one. Now I'm a bigger fan, before I'd only heard their releases. I like the guitar parts, especially "Change the world" and "Will you". // 10

Lyrics: I thought the lyrics were pretty good. Another one of those cd's that will someone relate to you. Number 5 I thought had great lyrics too. // 10

Overall Impression: I really recommend buying this album. It has good all around songs. Liked numbers 2,3,5,8, and 11. But I the only one I didn't really care for was number 4, cause of the verses. But still great cd. Go buy it. // 10

More Pod reviews rating latest review
+ Brown 7.5 07/24/2014