Testify Review

pod: Testify
Release Date: Jan 24, 2006
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Rap-Metal, Alternative Metal
The aptly titled Testify displays the band at their fiery best. Longtime followers of P.O.D. will rejoice in many of the band's trademark sonics.
 9.3
 8.7
Testify Reviewed by: whiteshadow15, on january 26, 2006

Sound: POD sounds better than they ever have. This is by far their most diverse album ever. Some songs are reggae, some hip-hop, and some just straight out rock. Jason Truby's guitar riffs are catchy and fun to rock out to. The sound is more reminiscent of Satellite than anything else, and some songs seem to channel some of the songs on that album, such as Lights Out, which is a hard rocking, "Boom"-style track. This also features appearances by reggae artist Matisyahu, and these collaborations are nothing short of brilliant. Overall, excellent sound here. No complaints. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well-written. The lyrics are very catchy when they are mixed with the crunching guitar riffs and interesting beats. Some songs have very spiritual overtones, the strongest being "Strength Of My Life," which is all about having faith in God. The lyrics very clearly state the band's beliefs in God of standing for something in life. Great stuff. // 9

Overall Impression: I was very skeptical that this album would be very good after their last album, Payable On Death. I liked that album, I thought it was decent, but it was nowhere near the excellent quality that Satellite had. The guitar riffs were forgettable, and some songs were just boring and generic. Then I heard the single "Goodbye For Now," and I still was not impressed. But as I listened to it more, I started to like it more and more. So I decided to just give it a shot, and I bought it on the first day of release. The instant that I pressed the Play button on my CD player and the first song started, I was absolutely blown away. This album is incredible. I love the diversity of their songs, and overall, the album is just so much fun to listen to. It does have it's low points, such as "On The Grind," "Mistakes And Glories," and "Say Hello." These songs to me are just forgettable. But this album just shines otherwise. My personal favorites are "Roots In Stereo," because the collaboration is absolutely flawless, "Sounds Like War," a straight out rocker that you can easily rock out to, and "Teachers," which is probably the heaviest song on the album. But the standout track, by far, is "This Time." This song has such a great feel to it. It's so powerful and I love everything about it. Testify blows the last album out of the water, and I would even say that it just may give Satellite a run for it's money. Do yourself a favor. Buy this album. // 9

Testify Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2006

Sound: The sound is diverse and the best they've ever worked on, without a doubt! It shines on songs like "This Time" (my fav), "Roots In Stereo" and "Teachers." All of their albums are awesome, if you listen their music with the right ears. They are like a "cocktail" because they mix reggae, hip-hop, alternative metal and a bit of funk. I don't know if this is true, but I heard someone saying that this album was produced by 3 guys. Well, the result is great! // 10

Lyrics: I don't believe in God, but Sonny's lyrics can flow prefecly with the music. They have very positive messages and have a deep meaning, which shows that Sonny is still ready to scream is lungs out with heartfelt words! // 10

Overall Impression: I can't compare this album to Satellite or Payable On Death, they're all very different and they're all awesome, if you get inside their sound. The only thing that makes me feel a bit disappointed is the number of tracks in the album. 3 years waiting for 13 songs? Well, at least they're all good and there are no fillers. I hope they release a limited edition with a bonus disc or something because they're really surfing in the right wave and they shouldn't waste it. Well, nevermind, just buy this album! // 10

Testify Reviewed by: A2theGO, on january 27, 2006

Sound: Testify had the best sound out of all POD albums. It takes all the rap elements from Satellite and the metal elements from Payable on Death and adds a little reggae with songs like "Roots In Stereo" and "Strength Of My Life" that feature Matisyahu. It has that good guitar and rap sound that you expect from POD. They have set the bar very high for their next album. // 10

Lyrics: Overall the lyrics blow me away. Songs like "This Time" and "Strength Of My Life" have some of the best lyrics. But on the other hand songs like "Lights Out" and "Say Hello" have generic rap-metal lyrics that reminded me of Payable on Death. In the reggae songs the "This is POD and Matisyahu" kind of gets on your nerves. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album was great and definately my favorite POD album yet. Payable On Death was kind of a dissapointment so I'm glad that this album was good. I think the only thing wrong with the album is the number of tracks. This album took 3 years to make and there are only 13 tracks. But if the other songs that were recorded were generic rap-metal songs then I'm glad they werent put on. If you love or hate POD you should still go and buy this album. Testify will change what you think about POD in a good way. It was worth 3 year wait. // 10

Testify Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on march 03, 2006

Sound: After hearing their ultimate album Satellite I fell in love with POD. I did not know what to expect when this album hit the stores. I got hold of it about one week back and have been hearing the album over and over again since then. This album has a very similar sound to Satellite, in fact as far as the sound is concerned, this album is brilliant. With powerful tracks and spiritual tracks both present this is a good album after their 3 year break. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics, this is what makes POD so different from most nu metal or rap metal bands. There are some incredible lyrics in songs like goodbye for now, lights out, and say hello among a few others. I liked the fact that POD haven't got carried away, they still play their own unique music. Well, if you ask me I think it is the lyrics and music that give each band their identity and I have to say POD has shown the world how effective they can be with their words. Sonny, the lead vocalist and lyricist has done yet another sensational job on this disc. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this album wasn't as good as I expected it to be. Yet it proved to the world that POD's diversity. If you ask me to rate the three albums POD has come out with on a scale of 10; Satellite 10/10, Playable on Death 8.5/10 and Testify 8.5/10. The reason I didn't think it was that great overall was because it had alot of tracks that were just fill in kind of tracks. None the less, you can't take anything away from POD. This album showcased Sonny's vocal diversity, it has some great tracks such as Say Hello, Lights Out, and Goodbye For Now. // 8

More Pod reviews rating latest review
+ Murdered Love 8.1 08/01/2012