The Police Review

Police: The Police
Release Date: Jun 5, 2007
Label: A&M
Genres: New Wave, Pop/Rock, Album Rock
To coincide with their 30th anniversary reunion tour in 2007 the Police released the anthology The Police, the first two-CD retrospective ever assembled on the group.
 9.3
 8.7
 9.8
The Police Reviewed by: bass1991guitar, on july 30, 2007

Sound: The brand new 2007 album is brimming with Police hits such as 'Message In A Bottle', 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic' and the timeless classic 'Every Breath You Take'. Nothing new I'm afraid but as far as sound goes, some great sounding Fender basses and a slightly over chorused Tele. Overall? Very '80s but exactly what you would expect from an 80's band don't you think? The brand new 2007 album is brimming with Police hits such as 'Message In A Bottle', 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic' and the timeless classic 'Every Breath You Take'. Nothing new I'm afraid but as far as sound goes, some great sounding Fender basses and a slightly over chorused Tele. Overall? Very '80s but exactly what you would expect from an 80's band don't you think? // 8

Lyrics: Sting prides himself on writing lyrics that have significant meaning. However I would rather listen to meaningless songs than spend listening time trying to discover what exactly is being put across. That said, every vocal on here is top, notch. Sting's distinctive voice works well with the syncopation of the drums and bass as well as fitting in around them. How he does it live I have no idea. Great harmonies from the other band members work well too. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this album for one reason and that is because I had to. As a bassist and guitarist I could see the vast amount of musical talent this band possesses. But let me get this straight. I am not a Police fan. This means that everything I have said is true, unbiased. However it is a crime in the musical world today to say that you 'hate' the Police. You can see why people love this band just by listening to this CD. The highlights for me are Synchronicity 's 'Every Breath You Take' and Outlandos d'Amour's 'Roxanne' and 'So Lonely'. It's hard to find something wrong with a greatest hits album because, well these are the greatest hits but looking at everything from a musical perspective, everything is impossible to criticise. Be ready for obscure sounds and strange lyrics but a nice relaxed Ska/Reggae/Rock sound. Perfect for a musician like me that has always been aware of the Police but never seen why people rave on about a band like this so much. Give it a try. // 8

The Police Reviewed by: belavista man, on january 05, 2008

Sound: When you buy a "Best Of" compilation, you expect the best tracks from that artist, and you get most of the best from The Police on here, starting with their first ever, punk'd up recording; "Fall Out", written by Stewart Copeland. It's always a good thing to see the lesser known classics on a collection as well as the hits that were released and loved. On 'The Police', non-single masterpieces include songs from Outlandos d'Amour (Hole In My Life, Next To You) through to tracks off The Police's final recording, Synchronicity (Murder By Numbers, Walking In Your Footsteps), whilst exploring the unsung wonders of Regatta De Blanc (Regatta De Blanc, Bring On The Night), Zenyatta Mondatta (Canary In A Coalmine, Driven To Tears) and Ghost In The Machine (Demolition Man, Rehumanize Yourself) somewhere in between the two. In my mind, the finest recordings all hail from the first disc on here. Though the other disc contains classics like Every Breath You Take, The Police seem to have abandoned their roots and changed into something new. I prefared The Police's signature "reggae-rock" held in songs like Can't Stand Losing You, Walking On The Moon and Roxanne. though, saying that, some of my favourite Police songs are less reggae orientated (Message In A Bottle, Wrapped Around Your Finger), and I'm sure that many will agree. No matter what the song is, or what the main focus of genre it seems to emanate, Sting's catchy bass-lines, Andy's firm rhythm and chorus/reverb influenced guitar parts, combined with Stewart's complicated yet firmly driven drum beats provide a never-aging classic every time. // 9

Lyrics: I've always thought Sting to be a remarkable lyricist, as well as an amazing singer/bassist. The lyrics in some of the later hits (as well as the earlier) managed to capture millions by the ears in a single listen. Although some of the songs may seem to have a ridiculous meaning behind the lyrics (Synchronicity II, De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da), there's still something magical about them that compels you to listen further. Other songs (Every Breath You Take, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, Can't Stand Losing You) just have you hooked from the first word. // 9

Overall Impression: Taking the best from every album can be a difficult and grueling task for most, and since The Police were once hailed as "The Biggest Group In The World", choosing all the songs on here must have taken the difficulty and enhanced it ten-fold. Sadly, I think that some great songs like Lowlife, Man In a Suitcase, Bombs Away, When The World Is Running Down and countless others have been missed from this collection. Though these classics (in my eyes, they are classics) are missing, others like Canary In A Coalmine, Next To You and Synchronicity I make up for the loss extremely well. Fantastic effort overall, I must say. It's a hell of a lot better than the first Greatest Hits that they released. // 9

More Police reviews rating latest review
+ Synchroncity 9.6 01/10/2011