Give Up Review

artist: postal service date: 03/28/2006 category: compact discs
postal service: Give Up
Released: Feb 18, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Melancholy, Earnest, Literate, Intimate, Poignant, Gentle, Bittersweet, Wistful, Plaintive, Reflective, Delicate
Styles: Indie Pop, IDM, Indie Electronic
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.7
 9.5
 9.9
Give Up Reviewed by: whereswaldo954, on february 13, 2006

Sound: Originally, I looked into the Postal Service because of Ben Gibbard. Amazing as I think he is in Death Cab For Cutie, the electronica beats of Jimmy Tamborello (of Dntel) really bring out a great quality in his voice. In some tracks (The District Sleeps Alone, This Place Is A Prison), the combination of Tamborello's beats and Gibbards soft vocals will mesmerize you, while in others (Such Great Heights, We Will Become Silhouettes) the upbeat tempo and harmonics will lift and energize you. A great album to look into, even if you're not a big fan of electronic-type beats. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, as with Death Cab, are wonderful. Not only are they thoughtful and deep, but they blend so well with the music that you find yourself considering them as one entity, so that you find yourself having a difficult time thinking of one without the other. Ben Gibbard, in my opinion, has a teriffic voice to blend not only with the slow and enchanting melodies like those in 'This Place Is A Prison', but also for the uptempo beats of 'Such Great Heights'. His voice has great flexibility, and sounds just as good live as on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the versitility of the album. I can listen to it to get relaxed, or to get excited and into something. The most impressive songs would have to be 'Such Great Heights', 'Nothing Better', and 'Natural Anthem'. If I lost this album, I would waste no time in buying another copy. // 10

Give Up Reviewed by: Drunkmonkey134, on august 13, 2004

Sound: Tremendous album. I'm not really into this type of music usually, but I was hooked as soon as started listening. Lots of different electronic beats on this album. There are some killer bass lines in songs like Such Greta Heights, District Sleeps Alone Tonight, and This Place Is A Prison. Piano/keyboard is prominent on many tracks in addition to the occasional strum on a clean guitar. // 10

Lyrics: The singer has a great voice. I heard them live and he sounded exactly the same as he did on record. The lyrics on every song are beautiful, but standout tracks lyrically are Such Great Heights, Clark Gable, This Place Is a Prison, and Brand New Colony. // 10

Overall Impression: I absolutely loved this album. I find it very relaxing to listen to. The bass and beats combine with the singer's wonderful voice to create a very soothing effct IMO. I would definitely buy this album again if I lost it. Considering that these guys are not well known, the album should be pretty cheap at the reocrd store. If you want a general idea of what the Postal Service is about, then listen to District Sleeps Alone Tonight, Such Great Heights, Clark Gable and Brand New Colony. // 10

Give Up Reviewed by: ugthanamug, on march 10, 2004

Sound: I'm new to IDM type music but from anything I've heard this is definately a very fresh sound than most electronic alternative you might hear. This group is not a rock group but it's surely good music. Innovative and soft sounds come from this album. It's the type of easy listening that you just wanna dance to. It's so nice and smooth. Nice chords and chord progressions make you feel the music. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are more lighthearted than EMO bands migt sing about, given that the singer is from and emo/rock band. The lyrics are very catchy and rhythmic, and soothing. You'll be singing along to these songs in no time, or at least trying to. Very soft voices claim this album. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a very unique group, and stands alone in it's own category of music. Some impressive songs are "Brand New Colony,"(which begins sounding like an 8-bit video game from back in the day), "The Distric Sleeps Alone Tonight," and "Sleeping In." I LOVE the mix of sound, tone and the soft singing. It's worth buying for those days of relaxation. You just gotta hear it. // 10

Give Up Reviewed by: hatfullofhollow, on march 28, 2006

Sound: The Postal Service's album 'Give Up' has a great sound without sounding too much like death cab for cutie, and with the same lead singer, that is a hard thing to do. The Postal Service has a great electronic sound, many of the songs on their EP's are on this album, although, I would've liked to have seen 'Be Still My Heart'. At the first listen the songs 'The District Sleeps Alone Tonight', 'Such Great Heights', and 'This Place Is A Prison' jump out at you with catchy melodies and vocals. But, as you continue to listen to the album, you find each song has something else to offer. The Songs 'We Will Become Silhouettes' and 'Nothing Better' use descriptive lyrics to tell the listener a story. Gibbard's voice sounds just as great with electronic instrumentals as it does with stage sound. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of Postal Service are also very good, but just a little too reminiscent of Death Cab For Cutie, but of course that is understandible. The lyrics have hooks that keep you listening, and you will find yourself humming the catchy melodies without realizing it. The major difference with Postal Service and Death Cab For Cutie though is the overall feel. Postal Service offers a truly unique sound that feels suprisingly right. // 9

Overall Impression: At the end of this album you will be anticipating another Postal Service album. It takes a few listens to get into it, but you will soon love the album and the musical direction that it takes. The best song on the album in my opinion is 'We Will Become Silhouettes' it is a great song with an incredible use of imagery. Great song, great album, great band. // 9

Comments