Transform Review

powerman 5000: Transform
Released: May 20, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal, Rap-Rock
Transform updates the grinding, computerized industrial metal of the band's earlier work with more melody and percussion that actually sounds human-driven.
 9.5
 8.9
reviews (5) user comments vote for this album:
Transform Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on july 02, 2004

Sound: I last heard Powerman 5000 from their old cd Tonight the Stars Revolt. I was wondering what happend. Well I found out they had a cd that came out a year ago so I bought it. This albulm is a big turnaround from TSR. The sound though is awesome. Mike Tempesta and Adam 12 Williams play their guitars really good on this albulm. You can hear still a little bit of a sci-fi theme going on when they do solos sometime. The new bassist Siggy is a great addition to PM5K. The sound is awesome and an improvement over TSR. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics are also a turnaround. Instead of singing about space they focused more on worldly issues and the media. The result is amazing. Spider-One has a really cool voice. You can hear a hint of rob zombie in spider-one's voice in 1 or 2 songs on the cd. // 10

Overall Impression: Transform is a great cd. Powerman 5000 are able to prove they are a good band. I can listen to the whole cd without skipping a track. It's that good. I love how they decided to do a more serious albulm by focusing on issues in our environment. Its great to hear Spider-One's voice because he has this voice that sounds so cool. Transform is worth buying. // 10

Transform Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 06, 2004

Sound: This album displays a punk metal grind. It is reminicent of what the sexpistols would have been if Johny Rotten had been friends with James Hetfield. Slight techno overtones in the same vein as Static-x and pre Transform Powerman5000 are evedent but not as heavy as they once were. The guitars have evolved way bast simple smash to a glorious distorted Mayhem. The drums are pure and make you want to throw your whole body into the mashpit that the bass stears. The vocals are the flame that lights the way for every instrament on the whole cd. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this cd are well improvd from the once rocket and robots infested rants that once traveld in the air. (though they were cool as all heck.) These lyrics are now powerd by the term 'be what you want do what is right' this is a mentality that has been forgotten by the mainstream rock world. The shineing point of the lyrics is 'dont be afraid of the future, it doesnt include you it only removes you'. As you see the techno-wonderland still exists but only in little doses. // 10

Overall Impression: All in all this album is PM5K's best. And from what I've heard it will not be the best after the next cd. If you respect good music I recomend it to you. // 10

Transform Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2004

Sound: The sound is no longer a sci-fi heavy metal breakneck trash, but more a earthly techo influenced punk metal smashfest. The sound is stronger more perfected and just down right kick-rump. Spider has an amazing singing voice that is as though rob zombie decided to be even cooler. Siggy (new bassist) is far superior to Dorian (old bassist). Adrian ost (new drummer) had a pound that is reminicent of dope or metallica. mike temp. (guitar) is a king at playing simplistic but amazing guitar lines. Adam12 (guitar) is the master of 'sounds' he adds the grinding Quirk that head from Korn or Tom Morello from Rage Agenst The Machine added to their bands. // 10

Lyrics: Spider is the mic king. His voice is like a knife that cuts in to the sonic punk boom that is the music. Lyricly the message he gives in good and well written. All in all he gives you a reason to think that not all rock is dead. // 10

Overall Impression: This cd has a sound I cant pin. It has elements of early PM5K and Rob Zombie, but also some of the swagger from old metal acts like ac/dc, and Huge, Clash and Sex Pistols influences. All in all Powerman was and still is a monster all of their own. If you have the money go buy this, or any other cd by them. not one cd sounds the same, and if you respect good music you will be more then satisfied. // 10

Transform Reviewed by: b.c.rich rules, on june 16, 2006

Sound: This is my first PM5K album, and it's really impressive. The band combines some heavy guitar riffs with nice drum work and great vocals. Sometimes Spider sounds a little like Rob Zombie and that adds to the sound of the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have taken a definate turn from the other Powerman songs I had heard, but not in a bad way. Before the lyrics were about space (such as in When Worlds Collide) but now they are focused more on real world issues. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music and make every song awesome to listen to. Spider is a great vocalist, what else can I say? // 10

Overall Impression: I love this CD. The best songs are "Theme To A Fake Revolution", "That's Entertainment", and "Action". I love every song on this album, and I love how there are two music videos on the CD ("Free" and "Action"). I don't hate anything about this CD. At all. If it were stolen or lost I would obviously go buy a new one. // 10

Transform Reviewed by: JL Sevenfold, on march 01, 2007

Sound: This CD seems to have a theme of governmental corruption and nonconformity, and the songs all seem to fit nicely into this theme. The CD starts out with a spoken word track, basically sorting out the mess that the world seems to be in. Throughout the album, PM5K mocks society and how money driven people have become. As far as band members go, everyone does a good job: the guitar riffs are catchy and solos rock, bass lines work nicely, drum lines fit good, and singing is perfect. The album doesn't water down in the end like a lot of other albums do, either. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on Transform work flawlessly with the themes of corruption and nonconformity, with songs like Theme to a Fake Revolution and Transform being perfect examples. Every song is a great example of this theme, and the singing works well in each track. Spider's voice is a perfect fit for the band, which makes the music even better. // 10

Overall Impression: This album seems a lot more thought out than their first album, Tonight the Stars Revolt, which is still a good album. It is a lot of fun to listen to/sing in the car, and there isn't a bad song. If you like any of their other CDs, this is a good one to buy. // 10

More Powerman 5000 reviews rating latest review