Remembering August Review

artist: Prescription For Protest date: 04/28/2008 category: compact discs
Prescription For Protest: Remembering August
Release Date: Nov 28, 2007
Genres: Rock
Their sound is dynamic and experimental, drawing influence from many genres to create a style all our own. With moody angst ridden lead vocals & dynamic backing vocals the sound is edgy, dramatic, & melodic.
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Remembering August Reviewed by: teddytheturtle, on april 28, 2008

Sound: The sound is a really weird combination of Billy Talent, Rancid, and Metallica! No, that's not quite it. I don't know. This is like indie album of the year. Yes, that is a sound. I wouldn't call it hardcore, but there's definitely some hardcore in the mix. This is worth checking out because it's so different. You'll never mistake them for any other band. I have to give this section 9/10 because it can be improved, I'm just not sure exactly how. // 9

Lyrics: In some songs, or some sections of songs, the backing vocals seem pointless, like they don't really add anything. The lyrics feel a little broken up in some places, but not too much. The lead singer can actually sing. Okay, maybe that's an understatement, he's pretty good (another understatement). The lyrics fit well with the music somewhere around 99% of the time. I'm too lazy to try to find the 1% where it just doesn't work, so that's really good. If there is one love song on this EP, I can't tell. There's no stupid cliches. Seriously, none at all. It's borderline poetic. Six out of the eight songs are radio-friendly too. I don't want to point out anything specific, so I'll just say that there are a few lines that don't seem to make much sense and leave it at that. So lyrics are good, creative, different, singer's good, nice backing vocals (usually), could be better. // 8

Overall Impression: The three most impressive songs (and it's really hard to only pick three) would have to be "Zeppy's Theme," "Headlong Into Dramatics," and "Onward Indie Soldier." The only album I would compare this to is Watoosh! by Pezz (aka Billy Talent) because it's so obscure and indie, and I guess the sound is similar in some ways. I have to say the one thing I really hate about this EP is, it's not something any record label would put out, not even an indie, because the band isn't developed yet. It's almost like an extra long demo. It does little more than showcase the band's potential. It's almost too indie. They can do better than this. They are definitely capable of a full length album, with more professional artwork, no spelling mistakes in the liner notes, and even better songs. Buy this one because you'll want to have it when the next one comes out, just to compare if nothing else. // 7

Comments