Pride And Glory Review

pride and glory: Pride And Glory
Released: 1994
Genre: Rock
Styles: Heavy Metal
Released from the confines of being Ozzy Osbourne's guitarist, Zakk Wylde turns in a surprisingly solid debut album from his own band, Pride & Glory.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.9
 9.8
 9.9
Pride And Glory Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2005

Sound: Zakk Wylde is one of the most underrated song writers in the world of metal. After taking leave of Ozzy Osborne, Wylde was seemingly damned to rock purgatory. Although he pressed on in numerous side projects, like the proverbial tree in the forest, Zakk received media animosity for years. So maybe it was a blessing that a decidedly senile Ozzy Osborne started whoring around on MTV, because when Ozzfest gained mainstream acceptance, Wylde's Black Label Society was unleashed. Suddenly, the scope of current metal was broadened considerably, making room for metal revival bands like Children Of Bodom and Shadows Fall. Appreciation for the technical ingenuity that defined early metal was most righteously reborn. Bands like Pantera and Slayer have been introduced to a new generation of music fans and guitar players. Amongst the plentiful post-grunge acts lined up for Ozzfest fame, BLS has helped to revive metal, a genre in which down-tuned guitars, groping wannabes and shock value have replaced talent or ingenuity. Before BLS, there was Pride And Glory, Wylde's 1994 side project with drummer Joe Vitale and bassist James Lomenzo. With tight timing, amazing range and incredible depth, not to mention Zakk's fat tone and inimitable chops, this is most definately one of the best albums of it's class. Vitale's telepathically touchy drumming and Lomenzo's soulful bass provide the tight-rope rhythm for Wylde's thick riffs and squealing harmonics. On tracks like "Horse Called War" and "Toe'n The Line", or "Machine Gun Man" (a must-hear), one might wonder if this album can possibly get any better. Unfortunately, other songs like "Shine On" and "Troubled Wine" make one wonder if maybe Zakk was getting a little bored with this project. I find the tastiest tunes on this album are often the most primitive, the most simplistic. On tracks like "Hate Your Guts" and "Cry Me A River", Zakk rocks out in loyal homage to his southern roots. Wylde wields a banjo with the same prowess he applies to his throaty Les Paul on "Losin' Your Mind", and he rocks the mandolin like no other on the sparkling, incandescent "Lovin' Woman". The listener can't help slight disappointment upon hearing the second disc. Although Wylde scores on his cover of Sabbath's "The Wizard", his revamped version of the Beatles' "Come Together" is a little off-the-cuff. And surely Wylde could have chosen a Zeppelin cover more fitting to his style than "In My Time Of Dying". Wylde is clearly more comfortable with his own element. No problem, though. This album is more than saved by it's first disc, and the covers, are still a thrilling alternative to the anything modern coming out these days. The art of the guitar solo has been long ignored, and so long as musicians like Zakk Wylde continue to 'toe the line', it is evident that this art will be resurrected like never before. // 10

Lyrics: Clearly, Ozzy had little impact on Zakk Wylde's lyrics, which is probably all the better. Wylde's lyrics are deceptively simple, although the voice with which he wields them carries them comfortably. The songs are written in the style of his forebearers, like the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd; conventional epithets of women, wine, agression and remission. You can almost hear the stereotypes snapping as the burly, brash Wylde eases down with an acoustic for tunes like "Cry Me A River" and "Lovin' Woman". These songs are not lacking balls, however. Zakk never misses an opportunity to throw in a sparkling solo. His range on this album amazes, as compared to his vocals in BLS. Wylde croons as easily as he howls, and he does so with exactitute and passion. // 8

Overall Impression: I love the balance and feeling of this album. It is by far one of my favorite albums of all time. As I've said, compared to what comes about in modern rock, this is a masterpiece. I can't appreciate some of the covers as much as others might, but that's all fine and well. If I were to lose this album, I would frisk all my friends for it and probably go into musical seclusion for a while. I jest, but overall, this is a must-have for the rock guitarist. // 10

Pride And Glory Reviewed by: tilleking, on april 23, 2007

Sound: A friend recently introduced me to this band. He played me "Machine Gun Man" and I had to investigate further. I bought the CD the next day, and have been listening to it pretty much non-stop ever since. The band's frontman is Zakk Wylde, so as you'd expect, there's some pretty insane guitar on the album. There's an incredible blend of rock, metal, country, southern rock and bluegrass across the whole record. Some pretty fantastic Les Paul-crunch sounds feature, some fantastic drum beats, and quite a bit of banjo! "Losin' Your Mind" (the first track) begins with a really catchy banjo riff, and is followed up by some top quality guitar, and one hell of a guitar solo towards the end. There's a real mix of music, and it's so wonderful to listen to. There are two songs where a piano is the primary instrument; "Sweet Jesus" and "Fadin' Away", both of which prove great listening. Pride & Glory are my current favourite band - and I'm pretty sure they will be for a long time, simply for their awesome guitar sounds and riffs. It doesn't get much better than this! // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, the album is superb. The elements of country music are shown by the repeated use of "mama" or "lord", etc. The lyrics on every song are good enough to have you singing them for months on end. "Hate Your Guts" is particularly good, with lyrics such as: "I'd rather run you over with my truck instead". Zakk Wylde has an incredible voice, though I've often thought that his Black Label Society vocals could be a bit better. In my opinion, this is Zakk at his best. There's also some great backing vocals, which compliment Zakk's voice brilliantly. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of the best albums I've ever listened to, by one of the best bands I've ever heard. Sadly, this is their only CD they made - I believe they disbanded in 1994. Personally, I believe Pride & Glory blow Black Label Society out of the water, though that is personal preference. Particularly incredible songs include: "Losin' Your Mind", "Machine Gun Man", "Harvester of Pain", "Toe'n the Line" and "Cry Me a River". I don't think there is a single bad song on the whole album. If you've ever been into Zakk Wylde, you'll probably like this album, though it helps if you're into southern rock like Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. Well worth the money! // 10

Pride And Glory Reviewed by: faqu, on july 07, 2004

Sound: The sound of this albums is so speciel. You hear it and you think the album just came out, but it's from 1994. The heavy guitar are mixed very well with Zakk's voice and the bass and drums. The mix is perfect! Zakk solos are awsome as usuel but they are so speciel and just perfect. My favorite solo was the acoustic solo in "Fadin Away". // 10

Lyrics: Zakk Wylde is one the most talented singers ever! He is so underated! You hear his voice on this album and you just blowen away, you just thinking: "where the hell was he all this time". He dosen't scream or have that low voice he has on BLS albums, he just sings. His voice dosen't come out as anger, like Hetfield's voice, his voice coming out as someone who wants to show his great voice and roar to the world. And he does it in the best way he can do it. You can hear his amzing singing skills on the song "Chosen One". // 10

Overall Impression: I consider this albums as one of the best albums ever on my list! I wrote this review becouse I was surprised of the amount of people that don't know about this band, and I wanted to share this album with all of you Zakk Wylde fans and rock fans in general. A perfect mix or blues-country and metal. I like all the songs on the album. Zakk whowing us his great writing skills and his skills on the piano. He also plays mandolin and harmonica on this album. You just have to listen to this album, they only made one album but it's super. Buy this record, don't burn or download, so you can hear the awsome bonus tracks including Zepplin cover of "In My Time Of Dyin" and Sabbath's cover of "The Wizard" and the Beatles cover of "Come Together". Do yourself a favor and check them out. With all the respect to Black Label Society albums, (and I have a lot respect to them), this is Zakk Wylde's best effort. Enjoy! // 10

Comments