Nuclear Fire Review

Genre: heavy metal
Label: Nuclear Blast
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Nuclear Fire Reviewed by: Gitaarbanaan, on september 19, 2011

Sound: Nuclear Fire is the third album by the German heavy metal band Primal Fear. It was released in 2001.

The album is very well produced to start with. All the instruments sound properly and they can be heard. This may sound obvious, but I can recall albums where I was like "where is the bass?" or something similar. The main genre of the album is power metal, and the sound of the guitars/drums/singing is what you would expect: powerful, loud, lots of bass. The music in itself is very nicely written. The solo's on this album stand out, they really give the songs a good vibe. The choruses are mostly sing-along, multi layered vocal parts with the guitar playing some power chords in the back, it works really well for me.

The bass guitar and drums (rhythm section it is) are very well played. The bass is tight, powerful and there to be heard. No real place in the spotlight for the bass player, just a solid background spot. The drums are tight as well, lots of variation in the drumming, not just double-bass pedal spam, there are a lot of nice fills connecting different part of songs.

The speed of the album is very much upbeat. There are some really fast songs, like "Fight The Fire" and "Back From Hell." Slow songs like "Bleed for Me" and "Now Or Never." All of the songs (with in exception for me 'an iron fist in a velvet glove) are hooky as hell. They stick in your memory, you'll catch yourself singing the chorus of 'now or never' on your way to work soon after listening it a few times. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are all fantasy-like and based around the main story of the album, they fit well to the music. The fast songs have aggressive lyrics, while the slower songs have more dramatic lyrics. The singer is without doubt someone to respect: Ralf Scheepers. He's a Rob Halford clone for real. Some may know him from the time he sang in Gamma Ray (1989-1995). He once was considered as follow-up for Rob, but Tim Owens got chosen instead of Ralf Scheepers. He uses a lot of high-pitched vocals, but is able to sing properly in the lower register as well, but you won't hear him sing that low on this album. All in all, he rocks. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a very impressive 3rd CD in my opinion, 4 years after they started it got released. All of the songs really stick around, are well produced and contain mighty solo's and riffs. Best songs would be "Now or never," "Fight the Fire" and "Eye of an Eagle." I love this album for the general sound, the vocals and excellency of the players, they really master their instrument and they show it! Overall, I would recommend any Judas Priest / Traditional Heavy metal fan to get this album or at least check out this band, they really deserve more attention! // 8

More Primal Fear reviews rating latest review