Chapters Of Time Review

Label: Self-released
 7.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Chapters Of Time Reviewed by: Jessica-Lyn, on february 01, 2013

Sound: If you're looking for a band that's a blend of folk metal, black metal, and melodic death metal, then you're going to get Primalfrost. This epic metal band hailing from Toronto, Ontario just released their debut album "Chapters Of Time", and with the blend of folk metal with dark, melodic elements, ripping guitar solos, kicka-s bass and drums, and Dean Paul Arnold's deep vocals and low growls definitely gives you the impression that these guys are serious about making good music. You'd think it would just be an ode to Rush and Kraft Dinner right? Nope, it is a very Alestorm meets Primordial EP that I'm definitely digging a lot. Its a very heavy album but lots of cleans amongst the Folk Metal, and Black Metal which makes it easier to digest. As you can imagine the songs are about Winter and at times maybe a tad bit cheesy, but again it's Canada, so it's all good. With influences like Ensiferum, Finntroll, Equilibrium, Dissection, Blackguard, Arch Enemy, Bathory, At The Gates, Moonsorrow, Anaal Nathrakh, Turisas, Dream Theater, Amon Amarth, Svartsot, and Immortal, how can you go wrong? This is definitely not the last time you'll hear of them. // 6

Lyrics: The first track of their EP is their intro, "Prevalent Winds" which starts off with a slow acoustic melody accompanied with strings - very folk metal but any good intro can't not have a big "pop!" at the end. About 2 minutes and fourteen seconds in, "By Perseverance And Bloodshed" swoops right in with a ripping guitar solo and low growls in the background followed by some decent clean vocals. Definitely your definition of Melodic Death Metal/Black Metal. The tracks "Reaching A Freezing Dawn" and "Through Cold Vast Seas" are my 2 favourite tracks off of this EP. "Reaching A Freezing Dawn" has an old 1930's style piano intro followed by accordions... yes, accordions which definitely makes the track fun to listen to and definitely gives me that Fintroll feel. I'll admit that the vocals could use some work - Dean Paul Arnold's low growls and soft cleans need more power and definitely more range but then again, this is their first EP. These things need time to improve. As for the guitars, bass, and drums, the sound is definitely to a T. The beginning of "Through Cold Vast Seas" gives you a sort of grindcore/dark metal sound but then soon enough shows off it's melodic, folk metal side. Definitely 2 fun tracks to listen to. The last track off of this EP is "Homeland" which clocks in at ten minutes and eleven seconds. It's my favourite intro off of the EP. To me personally, the intro reminds me of "One" by Metallica (except for the low "Ah's" and strings that are in the background. Still though, it's a fantastic intro. This song is probably the song that stands out the most. It's both heavy and light, giving you that perfect balance. Dean Paul Arnold shows off his cleans more so in this song. He is a good vocalist, don't get me wrong there, but throughout the album most of the vocals are very low-fi (harder to hear)and could use some work regarding range and pitch. For a first EP though, I do give DPA props on giving it his all. He has a lot of potential. As I said before, these things need time to improve. // 5

Overall Impression: All instruments, vocals, programming, composition were done by Dean Paul Arnold, which goes to show that this guy has talent and for his first shot at making an EP on his own, he didn't do too bad. I would however like to hear a new full length soon with the whole band. It would be great to see how well all of their talent blends together. I'm giving this album a 7. Although this may not be the most perfect melodic death metal/black metal record you have ever heard, these dudes still have a lot of potential, and for being at a young age, they still have all of time and work in the world to create an amazing full length. There is not one doubt in my mind that these guys will become big in the music scene. Their EP can be bought at their Bandcamp site. // 7

Comments