Pork Soda Review

primus: Pork Soda
Release Date: Apr 20, 1993
Label: Interscope
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Funk Metal, Alternative Metal
Despite occasional flaws, what makes Pork Soda a success is that the band keeps finding novel variations on their signature sound, even if they never step out of it.
 9.1
 9.7
 8.4
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Pork Soda Reviewed by: SOADRox, on september 15, 2006

Sound: Sad this hasn't been reviews yet. But anyway, Les Claypool's bass playing and quirky vocals really shine on this album. I think their music never molds together well, the guitar is on a different beat, or the drums are in their own world, but that's not a bad thing. I'd describe this CD as a piece of art. The little ditty to begin with is down South fun. Foot stompin', banjo playing that leads into My Name Is Mud. Les Claypool is arguably the best bassist alive, and that has ever lived. While Victor Wooten is indeed impressive, Les somehow has his own style that really shines through on this CD. // 10

Lyrics: I'll do my typical break down of each track. The first track is an instrumentalism, and as such it's purely an acquired taste. 01. My Name Is Mud - a classic. Les Claypool's voice compliments the muted bass and drumline, while the guitar holds back during the verses. This song is about a "common spat" between Les Claypool and an unnamed individual. An excellent way to start the CD off vocally. 02. Welcome To This World - this song is actually deep if you take it the way I took it. "The heart and mind are focus for this conversation," is a pretty cool line. While Les might have just been jotting random junk down, he put it together really well. Yet another piece of art from the womb of Primus. 03. Bob - a sad song. Whether this is based on fact or not, it has a sad story behind it. "I had a friend who took a belt, he took a belt and hung himself." Obviously this song isn't uplifting. The bassline to it is also fairly average in the sense it's not a lot of popping, slapping, tapping, sliding, all that. Also, Claypool's voice is average also, but that's not a bad thing, he strays away from the "hill billy" voice to almost a talk/sing mix. 04. DMV - this song has a lot of truth in it. Of course, he's joking around, but it's true. You know standing in line at the DMV? Standing there for two some odd hours to get crappy service for 10 minutes? "I've been to hell, I spell it. I spell it DMV." He also talks about kicking back and smoking away chunks of memory, and how THC is how he spells relief. Fun song to say the least. 05. The Ol' Diamond Back Sturgeon (Fisherman's Chronicles, Part 3) - if you have "Sailing The Seas Of Cheese" you'll recognize this theme. It's a ditty about the Diamong Back Sturgeon in San Pablo Bay who stumbles across a tight bunch of grass shrimp and the ensuing battle between him and the fish hook. Primus as a whole shines through on this song. 06. Nature Boy - I'm not sure what to say about this song... The first verse has this line in it (weird at best), "My genitalia and pectoral muscles aren't quite what I'd like them to be." And it follows a pattern of, "What the hell?" And, "That makes no sense," for the rest of the song. Still a good song, though. 07. Pork Soda - the name of the CD and of a great song. I'm not too sure how to sum this one up, sadly, but it is definately a "must listen." 08. The Pressman - I've never listened to it, I don't like the way it sounds, which is why the lyrics got a 9 instead of 10. Sorry I can't tell you much. 09. Mr. Krinkle - good song, but I tend to skip it only because the song that follows this one. Is my favorite song from Primus. 10. The Air Is Getting Slippery - my dear Lord. This song is the best. Claypool's bass skills are superb, the guitar rocks, and the drums beat (bad pun? I'd say so.) I love how instead of saying the "F" word, he says "Forgive Me If I Hesitate" in a real goofy voice. This song blows everything else away. If for no other reason, by this CD for this song! 11. Hamburger Train - "It's the guy from the... Hamburger Train, mate!" Are the only words. It's an instrumentalism, and it's the best. It's about eight minutes long and the band seems to never waiver. Unbelievable skill is shown here. // 9

Overall Impression: Aside from a few mishaps such as Claypool's voice sounding distant, or the music not blending well, and that track Pressman. This CD is art. You have to buy this, if you don't, you're not a Primus fan. However, this CD is dark. It's not as "happy" as Sailing the Seas of Cheese. If I ever lost this little piece of music history, I'd fetch another in a heart beat. Well, after I was done mourning it's loss, of course. // 10

More Primus reviews rating latest review
+ Frizzle Fry 9.1 11/08/2011