My Brother's Blood Machine Review

8.7
 8.9
 8.4
My Brother's Blood Machine Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 09, 2006

Sound: Coheed And Cambria fans are in for a trip. Vocalist/guitarist Claudio Sanchez's solo project called The Prize Fighter Inferno has released a CD that dabbles in all sorts of styles and it's actually amazing how easily he transitions from genre to genre. On My Brothers Blood Machine, it is apparent that Sanchez has been hiding a lot up his sleeve and it's likely to go beyond your expectations. The CD has been said to be a continuation of the ongoing concept albums that Coheed And Cambria have released over the years, all of which deal with three species called Prise, Mage, and Man. How connected this solo project is to the continuing storyline will be up to the fans' interpretation, but the musical results actually go a bit beyond what Coheed and Cambria has done in the past -- and they've done a lot. On the first track, it's hard to tell which way My Brothers Blood Machine will go. The Going Price For Home is merely Sanchez's vocals backed by an electronic drum machine and doesn't necessary pack a punch. That being said, it is still an intriguing and gutsy way for a rock guitarist to start off his solo CD. The Going Price For Home might have some Coheed and Cambria fans going, What the hell? But if you're able to keep an open mind, you're likely to be pleasantly surprised. Sanchez leaves the drum machine behind on most tracks and displays his acoustic prowess at these times. One of the most beautifully constructed tracks is The Fight Of Moses Early & Sir Arthur McCloud. What Sanchez has created in this song feels a bit like stepping back into Medieval times. There is a clarity in his acoustic work that has just as much effect as a grinding solo would in an electric track and that's pretty amazing. With his hushed vocals layered over the acoustic, the track is easily the best one on the CD. The album does tend to take huge turns along the way, which may annoy some listeners. But if you're a fan of eclectic music -- including dance music, yes dance -- then a song like The Margretville Dance will also likely be a favorite. The synthesizer is brought out on this track and Sanchez creates a Michael Jackson-George Michael-esque hybrid pop song. As frightened as some of you are right now, it actually is one infectious song. If you do prefer your music a bit more raw and guitar-oriented, these synth tracks will have you fast-forwarding, however. And of course, if you are familiar with the often high-pitched vocals of Sanchez, that could also be a turnoff to some as well. // 9

Lyrics: One of the coolest aspects of My Brothers Blood Machine is that Sanchez provides the printed lyrics on a set of tarot cards that comes with the CD. Just as there are some mystical-sounding aspects to the music, the lyrics also keep to that same theme. There is definitely a story being told in the lyrics, and the various cryptic lyrical passages will keep fans busy trying to find the proper interpretation. Even if you don't have the time to piece the lyrical puzzle together, Sanchez has a beautiful way with words that is literary in a sense. In The Missing McCloud Boys, there is seemingly a murder that has occurred and the family is left to solve the crime. Sanchez sings, Which one killed my boy? My question to the incriminating convoy; I want death & blood for my songs; In the curse that warms the sun. These are lyrics you don't usually get from your average rock musician. In The Going Price For Home, the theme of love is taken on a different path than the usual sappy songs. Sanchez sings, And I've paid the price of solitude with wish to worry while you're away; With all grace to allow my hand the travel & worth here across your face; I love you more than you could know. The lyrics may be a bit too conceptual for some audiences, but their construction is still impressive. // 9

Overall Impression: As solo projects go, The Prize Fighter Inferno is one of the most successful in a long time. The reason why is simple: Claudio Sanchez never limits himself to being just a rock guy. While there is a bit of the electric guitar on the CD, it is primarily the acoustic, the synthesizer, and Sanchez's exceptional vocal diversity that are in the spotlight. Without a full band, Sanchez still has a wide enough range of musical experience that he can still create a full sound. It may not be quite on par with Pink Floyd's The Wall, but it does have the same feel at times. There are quiet moments where it is evident that Sanchez is using a higher pitch and softer-toned guitar to create a new character, and that helps in constructing the storyline. While the songs might now appeal to all the Floyd fans out there, there is still something to be said about a one-man band even getting close to an album like The Wall. // 9

My Brother's Blood Machine Reviewed by: VeloriumCamper, on november 20, 2006

Sound: The record kicks off with "The Going Price For Home" which is one of the more electronic tracks on the album which displays Claudio's great use of dubbed vocals and melodic choruses and verses. "The Fight Of Moses Early And Sid Arthur McCloud" offers you an outstanding acoustic piece from Claudio which is no surprise when we are talking about Sanchez. This acoustic sound is what The Prize Fighter Inferno started their sound as and it definitely has improved with the new tracks. "A Death In The Family" and "The Margretville Dance" are my two favorite tracks on the album. Both of them have a strong electronic influence and are extremely catchy and even dancey in "The Margretville Dance". The lyric "here they come to rock your body all night long" is boasted throughout the song and really gets you moving. One of the most interesting things about this song is the fact tht Claudio actually sounds like an early Michael Jackson in it, and yes, I am dead serious about that. Tracks six, seven, eight, and nine are also impressive songs, displaying many if not all of the charecteristics talked about earlier in the review. The latter part of the album really slows down and I feel that Sanchez just put the tracks in there to fill up eleven tracks. Whether this is true or not they aren't really strong and I find myself turning the album off around track nine in most cases. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are obviously creative, imaginitive, and out there, which is also no surprise when speaking of Claudio Sanchez. The record of course has a concept and is played out through the lyrics quite well. Sanchez is a professional at telling stories through his music and is one of the best in music at doing that right now. Sanchez' emotion and religious undertone come out in the track "The Missing McCloud Boys" when he writes. "In the days when children sung, in the heart claimed, shattered sun. You were right in telling them, where they were beneath the snow. Space call God right now, let them be judged upon, what they've done to my son." // 9

Overall Impression: The production on the album is also quite good. We see some of Claudio's other talents come out in this album. Sanchez produced and mixed the entire album and was only helped in the mastering of the record. The most amazing thing about this record is the fact that it was almost entirely completed by Claudio. This entire album is his work and no one else's and it is a great one I must say. I would definitely reccommend this album to anyone who is a fan of Coheed And Cambria and anyone who likes rock with a little electronic feel to it. Before I listened to the album I knew of Claudio and I have heard some of his previous demos for the side project and I was not impressed at all. I figured this was going to be a slow, proggresive, dull album that I would sit on my shelf once I got it, but this is not the case. While this album may not be one of the best albums of the year, it is definitely enjoyable and is definitely worth the money, so get out to a store near you and pick it up. // 8

My Brother's Blood Machine Reviewed by: Louisio, on august 17, 2007

Sound: Claudio Sanchez, the guitarist and singer of Coheed and Cambria/Shabutie, has a new sound. That sound spans several genres, such as acoustic, electronica, ambient, and even in some cases folk. Crafted over a span of several years, the mastermind behind Coheed and Cambria wrote twelve songs, each with a unique sound, feel, and in some cases, genre. The disc starts off with a more downbeat song, "The Going Price For Home". Just Claudio's voice and a drum machine, the song is not as intricate as the CDs other 11 songs, but still a solid song. The beat however, makes the song, in my opinion, one of the best. The next song, "The Fight Of Moses Early and Arthur McCloud" is also a more slower song. It boists some incredible talented acoustic guitar arpeggios, and Claudio's voice is panned slightly to the right to give it the impression that it looms over everything. "Our Darling Daughter You Are, Little Cecilia Marie" is Claudio's voice and an acoustic guitar. It is one of my favorite songs on the disc. It sounds like quite a busy song, but when you listen closely, it is two acousic guitar tracks playing chords and single notes bursts. It also boasts several of the best lyrics on teh CD. "A Death In The Family" is one of the more electronica-styled songs on the CD. The up-beat beat accompanies Claudio's girlish-falsetto. It is a very easy song to listen to, and appeals to many audiences. My favorite song on the entire CD, "The Margetville Dance" is just that: a very danceable song. The chorus envokes singing, and the overall makes you want to dance. A very up-beat song, and is again Claudio's voice and a drum machine, with the occasinal keyboard thrown in. "Accidents" starts off with a very busy, but quiet intro, with metal clanks sounding like metal being beaten. It is a rather slow song, with interesting effects. It is a very hard song to pigenhole, due to the quirkyness of the song overall. "Run Gunner Recall, Run! The Town Wants You Dead!" is a song with a swingish feel, with help from Travis from Coheed. A fast-paced song with acoustic guitar, Claudio's voice, and Travis clapping, with some strange effect added to an electric guitar for the solo. Definatley one of the best songs on the CD. The first single off the album, "Who Watches The Watchmen" is a effect-laden, up-beat song. Claudio's singing is a bit different from the re st of the album, slightly more nasal. The sing-along chorus is definatley one of lyric strongpoints of the album, moreso the phrasing than the actual lyric. Probably the slowest song on the CD "Wayne Andrews, The Old Beekeeper" finds Claudio singing the verses slowly and in a lower voice than usual. Another strong track off My Brother's Blood Machine. A very atmospheric song, "The Missing McCloud Boys" has Claudio singing probably the highest I've heard him sing. The lyrical, shimmering arpeggios are a great contrast to the straight-eighths latter portion of the song. A more mellower song "Easter" is not exactly my favorite song. It sounds much like the other acoustic songs on teh album. Tracks 11-77 are tracks of complete silence, and the number 78 is quite the interesting song. A very dramatic song, it starts off a bit like "Accidents" and is another very great track on the record. // 8

Lyrics: Claudio's famous falsetto in Coheed carried over into The Prizefighter Inferno, and then some. There are parts where he goes higher, but still retains softness. The story of The Prizefighter Inferno is, from what I understand, the prequel to the story of Coheed and Cambria. The lyrics fit right into the music, and Claudio's phrasing only improves that aspect. There's at least one line in every song that is worth quoting, or putting in your away message. // 10

Overall Impression: It is very hard to pigeonhole The Prizefighter Inferno, because they're 12 songs cover many, many genres. Every song is different and is worth a listen. However, my personal favorite song is "The Margetville Dance", because it's a very up-beat, sing-along song that everybody can enjoy. Although this CD didn't really get too much much mainstream coverage, prefer this CD too anything on MTV, by far. Claudio has diffenetly outdone himself with this CD, and with this, we hope that his career in The Prizefighter Inferno only flourishes. // 9

Comments