Songs To Burn Your Bridges By Review

artist: project 86 date: 08/10/2004 category: compact discs
project 86: Songs To Burn Your Bridges By
Released: June 1, 2004
Genre: Rock
The sound is dense and crunchy, the chord progressions are interesting, the various sonic elements nicely balanced.
 9.4
 9.8
 8.9
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
Songs To Burn Your Bridges By Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 06, 2004

Sound: If anybody here has ever listened to Project 86, then you know that this is an excellent christian (yes, 100% Christian) band with an awesome in-your-face metal/alternitive sound, intense and unique vocals, and tell-it-like-it-is lyrics with all sorts of twists and metephors. And if you've been keeping with the bands albums, you've preobably noticed that the sound with every album is a whole lot different. (Sometimes this is a good thing Drawing Black Lines or not such a good thing Truthless Heroes). This newest album titled "Songs to Burn Your Bridges By" has one of the most incredible sounds and effects the band has ever produced. They've kept their basic "tempos" as far as vocals, but the guitar tempo has changed a lot, utiliazing the benefit of having two guitarists. There's less vocal backup vocals, also allowing the guitarists to really focus on the sound. (Compare the song Me vs. Me from DBL & Spy Hunter from the new album). Their Guitar sound is a lot "chrunchier" with less overall reverb and echo, but still as hard as ever. If you wanna hear something new, then you sound put this at the top of your list. These guys freakin' rock! // 8

Lyrics: Oh man. This is what really gets me excited about this album. The lyrics are freakin' awesome! The messege is really tell-like-it-is but they still use the metephors and "themes" ( the song Spy Hunter is a prime example.) And as far as the compliance w/lyrics and music goes, again, Project 86 does an awesome job of using themes to influence the sound of the song and the lyrics. It's something you have to hear for yourself. (Again, listen to Spy Hunter from the new album and you'll know what I'm talking about.) The lead singer really belts out the words in this album. He really puts the intensity in lyrics, adding a little more "accent" and showing the ups and downs of the song. This aspect of the band is the best part. He's truely the most distenctive sound of the band. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a true christian, and obviously I'm probably going to say it comes out on top. And that's what I'm going with. This band does come out on top, and I'm not just saying that. I can't really compare it to another band as far as sound because they're so original. They really are an awesome band, with an original and intense sound that defies the christian barriers. Christians can rock too, you know. So far from what I've listened to, "The Spy Hunter", "A Shadow On Me", and "Safe Haven" are the best 3 on the CD. I really love the honesty and apssion behind the lyrics, and new sound. But I felt like some of the songs were a little too overdone with the vocals. But that, luckily, was kept to a minimum. If my CD was stolen or lost, I would definetly buy it again. In fact, I think everyone should just go out and the CD right now! // 10

Songs To Burn Your Bridges By Reviewed by: rockon004, on july 23, 2004

Sound: Most people have never heard of this band but when you do you'll be greatly suprised seeing they are chrisitan band. This is the only cd I've ever reviewed because I loved this cd sooo much. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are top notch, very impressing. I must also add the singer has a wonderful voice. It's a perfect match for their style. // 10

Overall Impression: This is easily the bust cd I own amazing stuff right here, I look forward to future albums. I love the vocals and the guitar, while not too fancy does the job. And when you put it all together the sound blows your mind. If lost or stolen I'd go right back to the store the minute I found it was gone and buy it again. // 10

Songs To Burn Your Bridges By Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 10, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is very different from their previous albums. Randy's guitar's are the best I've heard and Steve is a very talented bassist. Sure, Alex isn't the most talented drummer, but it's enough to keep the album's intensity level up. Altogether, they have an unmistakeable sound. It pulls you in and you can't help but want to listen to it. I think that since they left Atlantic Records and started their own label, they weren't as pressured, so it came more easily. They were given the time to be creative. All in all I think it's their best work. // 10

Lyrics: Andrew must have spent a lot of time with the lyrics. He's always reading books and thinking about the best things to write about. This album is no exception. He is at the top of his game with heartfelt and passionate screams. The lyrics are really quite clever. There isn't as much singing as Truthless Hero's, but Randy still sings good backing vocals on songs like "Safe Haven" and "A Shadow On Me". There is even multi-layering in some parts like in the verses to "Spy Hunter". I definately think he spent more time on this album than any of the others. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far the best Project album. Since they didn't have any limit's or pressure's, they nailed it. The best songs are "Spy Hunter", "A Shadow On Me", "A Fruitless End Ever" and the last track "Solace". I love it's intesity and passion. It's all about them. They did it by themselves without a big record company and made a better album than they did with the record company. I would buy this alubm again and again. If it were stolen, I'd buy it again, then find the person who stole it and beat them up because they suck. // 10

More Project 86 reviews rating latest review