Scurrilous Review

9.1
 8.8
 9.3
Scurrilous Reviewed by: Kwyjibo2006, on march 16, 2011

Sound: It's been 6 years since Canadian quintet Protest the Hero first came onto the scene with Kezia, an album that showcased the group's unbelievable technical abilities as players and songwriters. After 2008's frantic and downright outstanding Fortress, Protest the Hero has cemented themselves as one of progressive metal's top acts. Well, three years later, they're back with their third album, entitled Scurrilous. Now before this review actually begins, a quick word to the wise: crank your stereo and watch out, because this album explodes. Immediately. Opening track C'est la Vie (a French expression for that's life) bursts with hectic guitars from the moment you push play. It showcases the band's signature sound, with vocalist Rody Walker's vocals soaring over Tim Millar and Luke Hoskin's just plain awesome guitars. Once again, they prove that they can use just about every single fret in a single song, while bassist Arif Mirabdolbaghi gets his first spotlight during the song's bridge with some beautiful high notes. The song wraps up with gang vocals and drummer Moe Carlson pounding away like there's no tomorrow. As usual, Protest the Hero begin with a bang, and there really is no doubt that C'est la Vie is one of the best tracks on the album. Next up we have Hair-Trigger, a slower, more proggy track full of tapping guitars and rolling drums. More astounding bass-work from Arif (see the tapping fills about two minutes in). The chorus is just too catchy, and Rody Walker hits some impossibly high notes before guest vocalist Jadea Kelly (fans will remember her as Kezia from the band's debut) and Walker trade off lyrics. The song ends with a truly fantastic breakdown, and there is almost no way you won't grin when you hear Rody shriek she's cold as ICE! Tandem, while the longest song on the album (a little over five minutes), sounds like three completely different songs smashed together. It definitely creates a strange effect, but is still chock-full of weird time signatures and sweep picking to please, and ends suddenly. Moonlight, while still full of fantastic guitar work and more kick-ass drumming from Carlson, is probably the most laid-back track on the album. It proves that even Protest the Hero need a breather every once in a while, but is nothing compared to what is to come. Tapestry features some of the band's most intricate , almost shrill riffing, and shows how much their songwriting has evolved in only 6 years, and features some of Rody's only growls on the album (more on that in the Lyrics section of this review). The vocals hit more notes that fans of the band can only dream of. Rody's fantastic vocals and the song's grandiose tone set the stage perfectly for Dunsel, a crash course in breakdowns (see the last third of the song) and ferocious headbanging. After the downright groove of The Unending Reign of Terror (damn, that alternate-picking jam halfway in...) comes Termites, another favorite with (as far as I know) Protest's first use of double-tracked vocals. By now, any first-time listener may be exhausted by the song's lengthy intro, but (as with every Protest the Hero album), Scurrilous really isn't an album you can absorb on the first listen. You'll find yourself revisiting this one a lot, maybe not even to see if you like it, but just to get everything out of it. The album wraps up with Sex Tapes, beginning with Rody's piercing vocals and including a guest appearance by Propagandhi's Chris Hannah. Everyone in the band is on top form, especially for the song's straight-up Nightmare Before Christmas breakdown. The band lock into a nice groove and (contrary to the sudden end of Fortress) fade out, ending the album. // 10

Lyrics: Anyone interested in Rody Walker's death growls will be disappointed by "Scurrilous". While the album features one of his best vocal performances yet, there is almost no growling (with the exception of some sections of "Tapestry"). On "Scurrilous", Walker's voice soars, hitting some ridiculously high notes and trading in his shrieks for more melody. As already mentioned, Kezia's Jadea Kelly makes her return with some haunting, beautiful lyrics on "Hair-Trigger" while Propagandhi's Chris Hannah bellows perfectly over "Sex Tapes. Lyrically, the album deals (as far as I can tell) with topics of everyday life in today's society. "C'est la Vie" deals with suicide, with lines such as "Stepped off a chair so he could learn to get loose" and "Stepped off a building to find some concrete evidence". "Hair-Trigger" talks about love, and it's hard not to bang your head when Rody screams "She's cold as ICE!". "Tapestry" features more of these impossibly high vocals, before wrapping up with a commentary on sex tapes on the album's closing track ("Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back"). Less shrieking and growling may disappoint some hardcore fans of the band. Vocally, "Scurrilous" may seem like a far cry from the vocal acrobatics that so many fans of Rody Walker love, but with this new direction, his voice has never sounded as powerful or as controlled. // 9

Overall Impression: Make no mistake, this is a different album, even by Protest the Hero's standards. There are no acoustic interludes, and the songs are more laid back than their last album. Rody Walker described "Scurrilous" as a natural progression, and I completely agree. They took some risks and tried different things, but isn't that exactly what progressive music is about? It's not all about amazing guitars and weird time signatures, you know, and "Scurrilous" (as with the rest of the band's material) is second to none. The album fades out on a happy note; it'll please almost all of the old fans and will surely bring some new ones. But, with "Scurrilous" to add to the band's collection, it'll just make us all ask: "What took you so long?" // 9

Scurrilous Reviewed by: Geldin, on march 24, 2011

Sound: Protest the Hero has come a long way from the days of A Calculated Use Of Sound. Between Kezia and Fortress, they created a signature sound composed of equal parts power chords, chromatics, and staggering technique. On Scurrilous, they have stayed very true to that signature sound. From the very first twiddly bit on opening track C'est la Vie to the fading runs of Sex Tapes (pun fully intended), the sound that made their name on Kezia and carved it into stone on Fortress is still there in its true glory. That said, the rhythm department is all-too frequently neglected in favor of guitarist Luke Hoskin's twiddly technical passages, which begin to run together. That and the harmonies on Tapestry recall Dragonforce a little more than this reviewer would care for. That said, a band can be criticized for staying *too* true to form. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case with Scurrilous. Some allege that this album is composed of outtakes from Fortress. While that isn't quite true for this album, that such a claim has been leveled against as original a band as Protest the Hero speaks volumes. The rhythm department is all-too frequently neglected in favor of guitarist Luke Hoskin's twiddly technical passages, which begin to run together. That and the harmonies on Tapestry recall Dragonforce a little more than this reviewer would care for. All of that criticism aside, this album contains some of this band's finest moments. Opening track C'est la Vie is a prime example of this, showcasing singer Rody Walker's vocal talents fully. Harmonies between guitarists Luke Hoskin and Tim Millar are delightful, especially in the jazzy solo passage midway through the song. Dunsel and Termites feature a synthesis of Kezia's hardcore-influenced sound and the technical brilliance of Fortress, especially in the latter case. Bassist Arif Mirabdolbaghi steps up on Hair Trigger and Dunsel, showing that the bass end isn't lacking in any way at all. Finally, drummer Moe Carlson remains as competent as ever, improving on the grooves he has honed since high school, proving that drummers certainly needn't be scraped from the bottom of the barrel, especially considering the whirlwind of technicality that his bandmates throw at him time and again. // 8

Lyrics: Scurrilous marks the first time someone other than Arif has written lyrics for Protest the Hero. The lyrics to three tracks (C'est la Vie, Moonlight, and Sex Tapes) were written by Arif, but the remaining seven were penned by none other than Rody himself. Furthermore, this album is not a concept album, nor does it feature smaller linked stories as was the case with Kezia and Fortress, respectively. The lyrics are at times personal introspective (Hair Trigger and Tandem) and, at others, terrible (Tapestry and Reign Of Unending Terro). The highest points of this album, surprisingly, are not always those written by Arif. C'est la Vie is a masterpiece of writing, no doubt about it, but the introspection of Dunsel, Tongue and Termites mixed with the familiar Protest the Hero sound is overwhelming in equal measure. Sex Tapes marks another first: a funny Protest song. Flying in from left field, Sex Tapes is an easy target for criticism, but to the open minded listener, one unobstructed by the need for repetition, will find that the aesthetic that Protest the Hero has built over the years is still there, even thought it's wearing a shark suit instead of a t-shirt. Rody Walker is in true form on Scurillous. Possibly one of the best and most versatile singers in the metal scene today, he manages to interweave his vocal melodies with the complicated sound the rest of the band manages to create. High points of Rody's vocal melodies can be seen in C'est la Vie, Dunsel, Termites, and (believe it or not) Sex Tapes. // 7

Overall Impression: Scurrilous is not the most progressive thing Protest the Hero has ever done, regardless of what the band has stated in interviews. Similarly, the songs are not Fortress rejects. For a band that has progressed so dramatically between albums, slowing down that progress might as well be regression for die-hard fans. Where every single song on Kezia and Fortress was a unique entity, these colors do occasionally run. However, that is not to say that Scurrilous is a poor album. Some of Protest the Hero's finest moments are to be found. While some of the songs are sinkers, the majority of Scurrilous is Protest the Hero, true to form and full of gusto despite a full plateful of tours bookending their studio time. The sound of Fortress is definitely here along with the hardcore melodies of Kezia and something entirely new: a synthesis of Eddie Van Halen and Django Reinhardt. Yes, Luke abused tapping here. Rody's lyrics weren't as consistently staggering as Arif's. The rhythm section needs to be paid more attention. Despite all of this, songs like C'est la Vie, Tande, Dunsel, Termites, Tongue Splitte, and Sex Tapes still kick with familiar force and have the same mixture of beauty and grit that Protest the Hero has made us love. I have it on several digital copies and a CD, so no fool can rob me of my Protest. Now stop reading the review and listen to Dunsel. // 9

Scurrilous Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 08, 2011

Sound: Protest the Hero's Scurrilous, the latest album from this quintet from Whitby, Ontario has completely blown my mind with the musicianship. I have been listening to Protest the Hero since Kezia when I bought a warped tour complication CD containing their single, Heritics and Killers. Protest The Hero has gone a long way since that Album. But they still keep the fast blow up in your face shredding metal riffs. Scurrilous is the first album that isn't a concept Album like Kezia and Fortress were, the album art is a 60 year old painting by the bassist Arif Mirabdolbaghi's grandfather, Jafar Petgar, titled "Scurrilous". It has been stated by Arif that this album art reflects a lot of the music on the album itself. Through facemelting riffs to tapping bass to soaring vocals, this album is one of my favorites at this moment of time. Favorable songs include Dunsel, C'est La Vie, Termites, Tongue splitter and Sex Tapes. Things I like about Dunsel soundwise is how the bass plays a little riff and guitar chords phases in, I like the sound of the guitars at the end. C'est La Vie is the first song on the album, where you just get blasted with a shredding riff with an octave harmony and then it goes into a intresting octave rhythm section with parts of the starting shredding riff. The rest of it is a shredfest with some strummed chords and appegiated bass. Then at the in it ties back into the intro riff then a slight breakdown. Termites starts off with an intresting tonal aspect I haven't heard Protest The Hero do until the next part which reminds me of Palms Read off of Fortress. This song has bits and pieces that remind me of the older albums. Tongue-splitter is an interesting song with a mix of Fortress and Kezia that I feel. I really like this song. Its rhythm seems a little genric but I still like it. The melodies are alright. I mainly like this song for its lyrics Sex Tapes is an intresting song, it starts off with a unintresting intro but progresses into something better. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are intresting on this album, Rody Walker has already stated what the lyrics were about. I'm only covering the songs I said already since they are my personal favorite. Arif wrote C'est La Vie and Rody the singer, says "It's about the insignificance of suicide and the fleeting few moments where anyone might give a f--k. Inside that, it explores appreciating the little things in life that make it worth living." Which is an intresting concept. I enjoy this songs lyrics because they have a deep meaning behind it even though the song feels really energetic and Rody's vocals just top the cake. Dunsel is a song that connects to me and I favor this song the most. The interpretation of this song by Rody is "This song is pretty straightforward. There's a lot of sorrow in this song I feel, somewhat reminiscent of "Empty Chairs At Empty Tables" [from Les Miserables]. I think most people will get the overwhelming sense of anger in this song, which is directed to the faceless men running the industry without a true sense of what music actually is. What I think a lot of people will miss is the sense of sadness that people I loved and trusted gave up." which I completely agree. This is my favorite song off this album. I hate todays music. There aren't enough musicans anymore, its a perfomer based industry today. Termites lyrics are not so strong with me but I'll just put what Rody thought of it "This song is a cryptic little drinking ditty. It's disguised through a bunch of mixed metaphor and the telling of King Solomon's death from the Islamic perspective. But essentially, I'm just trying to describe what I feel like when I'm good and drunk." Tongue-Splitter... This song I fully relate to. "I gotta get back to who I was before my last ten years on auto-pilot. It's the mask that quite often starts to eat into your face so wear it lightly like a cap that can quickly be replaced." After moving here... I got bullied. I have lived in small towns all my life so everyone was friendly and you knew everyone. Then I moved here. I went from happy to avoiding everything. I regret not standing up for myself. I dislike myself for it. But I can't fix that. But here is Rodys view on this song, "Plain and simple, this song is about regret and living with regret. I have always said, If you don't regret anything, you're not doing enough. This song is about a few things I specifically regret, but it's also about how glad I am for those things happening. You learn a lot about yourself when you truly dislike yourself. Regret makes you more conscious of what you do on a regular basisthe worse you fuck up, the more conscientious you become." Sex-tapes is kind of funny. I like the lyrics. I can't describe them myself but heres what Rody said "Arif wrote this, but I believe somewhere I have him describing what it means... I'll dig it up and copy and paste it here just so I don't have to think about it too hard: "'Sex Tapes' is about new media affording us a sense of celebrity at the cost of privacy. It echoes Nietzsche's 'gaze long into the abyss. Under the new light of the digital screenmarketing pariahs, political opportunists, paparazzi and the many other eyes that look in as we look out."" // 7

Overall Impression: Overall I love the style and sound of this record. I'm not really sure where this band aims to put themselves but I hope they keep doing what they are doing. Most impressive songs are C'est La Vie, Dunsel, Termites, Tongue-splitter, and Sex-tapes. I would totally buy this album again if it was ever stolen or lost. // 9

Scurrilous Reviewed by: sk8board3r, on march 16, 2011

Sound: Right from the opening track you are punched in the face with the technical prowess that you have come to expect from Protest. This album definitely does not disappoint. However there are some changes from thier previous albums, one of these changes being Rodys vocals. There are alot less harsh vocals on this album, however Rody sings his ass off the entire time. Everybody is in top form. Theres definitely alot of 'wanking' on the guitars, more so then Fortress, and it might be too much for the casual listener in some places, but thats PTH for ya. I also found that the course of 'Termites' is almost a throwback to thier punk roots. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very different from past Protest albums, due of course to Rody taking the helm of writting the lyrics. Arif still wrote a couple of the songs however, and while I personally miss the conceptual themes I have come to love from Protest, the new album does not disappoint. Instead of lyrics about aliens, Gengis Khan, and Irish mythology, we are given songs about more personal topics such as cancer (Tandem), suicide (C'est La Vie), the bands early days (Dunsel), and a song called Sex Tapes, which is pretty self explanitory. // 9

Overall Impression: Scurrilous is definitely a beast of its own, very different from past albums, however still very Protest. I recommend listening to the album from start to finnish, multiple times, but if I had to recommend a few songs, I would say Termites, Sex Tapes, Dunsel, Hair-Spliter, and Hair-Trigger. I would also like to mention that fans of Kezia will be glad to hear a familiar voice on 'Hair-Splitter'. // 9

Scurrilous Reviewed by: xShade, on march 25, 2011

Sound: I love Protest the Hero. For those of you who don't know, their a Canadian progressive metal/mathcore. They have both long songs and shorts song, which do not fail to impress. Their progressive side comes out in their longer songs, which feature fast and technical guitar riffs, solos, and two-handed tapping sections, as well as two-handed bass tapping and solos as well. Their mathcore side is easily recognizable; hectic song structures make it hard to keep up with the band at first, but after a few listens it'll be easier to listen to and enjoy. // 9

Lyrics: I liked the lyrics. I wouldn't change them, to be honest. They do match up with the band's sound, which is a good thing. A big change is the absence of Rody's screaming and death growls. The bands I listen to incorporate a lot of unclean vocals into their music, so I'm used to it, but it's also a nice change to get away from all that for a bit, which is way I like this album so much. In one of the songs, Rody screams/growls in a small part of the song "Tapestry", which is similiar to the "Da da da dada" part in "Bloodmeat". It isn't bad, either. Other than that, there's only singing, which is really impressive. His high's are amazing, which is a good quality that stands out. // 8

Overall Impression: Their a pretty good progressive band, but they don't come anywhere near Dream Theater. The main and most important difference between the two is that Dream Theater is much more calm and composed with their instrumental parts, which are long, by the way. Protest the Hero's are fast riffs, solos and tapping, changing time signatures and are generally chaotic, though enjoyable. To sum it up, Dream Theater is a band that you could listen to to sort of relax and chill out to while Protest the Hero is something that hypes you up and makes you want to mosh and run all over the place. I'd have to say that "Tapestry", "The Reign of Unending Terror", "Tongue-Splitter", and "Sex Tapes" are my favorites. I love the band's song in this one. Most of the songs aren't as fast as the one's on Fortress, and depending on the listening, might be good or bad. Again, Rody's vocals are amazing, and it's good to hear him take a break from screaming, although I do miss it a bit. If it were lost or stolen, I would get it again. I have it on iTunes though so I'm good when it comes to that issue. // 9

Scurrilous Reviewed by: krehzeekid, on may 31, 2012

Sound: Well, I've now had about a year or so for this album to really sink in and get properly digested. Unlike the previous PTH albums, "Scurrilous" is not a concept album, and many of the lyrics were written by frontman Rody (as opposed to bassist Arif). The basic soundscape of this album is somewhat more sparse than "Fortress" was, but this is certainly a positive. With the absence of heavily applied synthesizers, the guitars seem to have more pop and it is easier to hear exactly what is going on with them. The bass is, pleasantly, more prominent in the range, allowing for an excellent showcasing of Arif's melodic abilities. The drumming is, as always for PTH, excellent. The overall sound of this album is both more polished and simpler than previous efforts; there seem to be fewer parts going on, but what is on record is much clearer and better presented than on previous PTH recordings. Song by song: 01. "C'est La Vie": French for "that's life", this song is an awesome, albeit somewhat depressing opener (thematically, not musically). The sound is definitely different from "Fortress", and the assault is absolutely imminent. 02. "Hair Trigger": Featuring guest vocals from Jadea Kelly (from "Kezia"'s "Divine Suicide Of K."), this is easily my favorite song on the album. Its got all the technical brilliance that PTH is known for, but it almost progresses more like a well crafted pop tune in the sense that every lick has a place. This song, though not short, is the most concise statement on the album. Kelly's vocals going back and forward with Rody's at the end of the song are beautiful - I would actually liked to have heard her more. 03. "Tandem": Probably the only song on the album that I don't like. While the musicianship and singing on the song are excellent, there is something about the song that grates on me; I think the song could have been better, and that bugs me. A lot. 04. "Moonlight": Absolutely cool intro. For me, this song demonstrates PTH's newfound restraint; there would have been a lot of opportunities to really go mad in this song, but they don't. Instead of going mad with their instruments, PTH churn out a solid rock tune. 05. "Tapestry": Not the best song on the record, but still a good listen. A few moments of brilliance on bass, but the song just doesn't seem to have the sticking power of some of the others. 06. "Dunsel": Classic PTH! Wildly fast and technical one moment, and slowed right down and melodic the next. This song is full of twists and turns to the point that it becomes almost dizzying. Also on this song we can hear just how tight PTH have begun to become- they are simply locked together! Some awesome, soaring sections throughout the song too! 07. "Reign Of Unending Terror": Not the fanciest song on the album, but a couple very tasty licks and wicked twists. During the middle section in particular, the musical shift displayed by the band is just awesome, it transforms an average song into a very cool one. 08. "Termites": Again, we're looking at a song that perfectly demonstrates PTH's growing ability as song-writers. Termites is interesting because of the sheer number of variations of a central them the song presents. The syncopated rhythm work on the "devils choir" section is also mind-blowing. 09. "Tongue-Splitter": I liked this song because of the greatly slowed melodic sections throughout, which help to break apart the sheer onslaught of notes throughout the album. Not the most memorable song on the album, but certainly not a lacking song. 10. "Sex Tapes": Featuring Chris Hannah of Propaghandi, one of Rody's main influences as evidenced by the similarity of their deliveries, this song is awesome. The Rachminoff-esque interlude midway through the song is just breathtaking- it really shows that these boys have compositional chops to go along with playing ability. Having Hannah sing some frankly vulgar lyrics is just icing on the cake. Overall, I think this album shows a consolidation of ideas and an increased focus on songwriting rather than technical mastery. As a result, this is the most polished, catchy and exciting PTH album to date. Yes, the emo-hardcore band from "Kezia" is gone from good, and the synth crazy prog of Fortress has been set-back, but instead we get a balls-out rock record with absolutely stellar musicianship and composition instead. Its not without its lumps, but this is a very good sounding album. // 9

Lyrics: Rody will always have a tough job being the frontman of such a gifted group. With such complex music, it can often be difficult to come up with vocal lines that not only fit the music, but that are also able to contribute to the songs and make them better (James LaBrie...). Rody, for the most part, it quite successful. Owing in no small part to his seemingly ever-increasing vocal range, he is able to come up with fairly memorable vocal lines for most songs. There are, of course, slips, but they aren't so bad or so common as to be serious detractors. Additionally, Rody employs a much greater variety of vocal techniques on this album. His signatures soaring, high-pitched vocals are still here plenty, but he uses a gruffer, lower attack much more frequently than before. This is a great addition to his arsenal, as it allows him to cater his voice to songs better. However, there is almost no pure screaming, as found on Fortress. Instead, there are various degrees of pushed, for lack of a better term, vocals. I'm personally quite happy with the change- the kid has a great voice, I want to hear it - but some fans will be disappointed. Lyrically, the album is a bit more of a crapshoot. Previous albums (apart from A Calculated Use of Sound) were written by bassist Arif, who only wrote 3 of the songs on the album. The rest were penned by Rody. While it can be difficult to tell sometimes who wrote what, there are moments when Rody's limitations become clear in the way of reduced sophistication. Some of the lyrics are simply better than others. Also, the change in lyricists resulted in many of the songs being about more "day to day" themes than previous PTH albums (Getting slaughtered by Ghengis Khan is no longer a daily worry). This is both pleasant, in the sense that I no longer need to use a dictionary to understand the lyrics, and occasionally a let-down because Rody can sometimes deal with subject matter just a little too bluntly. // 8

Overall Impression: I very much like this album, much more than I did initially. It is a massive departure from "Fortress", and it doesn't even sound like the same group of dudes who recorded "Kezia". However, it is a stellar album. The musicianship is top-notch, the singing is great and the production is, mercifully, transparent. I, for one, am thrilled that PTH are learning the art of song-craft: creating songs with consistent and powerful themes, rather than making a collection of cool riffs work together. Certainly, some fans of the band will miss the over-the-top lunacy of Fortress, but I genuinely believe that this is a better album. There are a couple less great songs, but generally, this album will get stuck in your head. A first listen will be utterly exhausting, but perseverance will be rewarded with an excellent musical experience. // 9

Scurrilous Reviewed by: MiKe Hendryckz, on august 27, 2012

Sound: Protest The Hero's 4th studio album "Scurrilous" really shows a strong music maturity. Showcasing the riffs and technicality fans love while moving away from keys and synths making for a very intense album. The album itself is a style of its own on the fence between punk and metal. I don't know any other band with a sound so refined and individual. Rody Walker took the lead in lyrical themes with Arif taking a back seat; a first for the band. Luke took over as full time lead guitarist with Tim taking over full rhythm duties making for a much more complete album and sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are probably the most controversial aspect of this album. Original main lyricist (bassist) Arif Mirabdolbaghi stated he just didn't feel like doing it anymore; claiming he wanted to focus on his instrumentals and had become bored of writing. This caused singer Rody Walker to take over the duties. The album is much less metaphorical and thought inducing. Not to say this is a bad thing; Rody's lyrics are much more in tune with the punk scene and show a more raw; simplistic but forceful style. The only comparison I can make would be to go from a University Poli-Sci class and go back to grade 10 music class. Where you and your bandmates write about personal issues and feelings more then global topics. I personally like it more because of the relevant topics. Cancer is touched upon in tandem; relationships in hair trigger; suicide in "C'Est La Vie" and many more topics you can relate to without citing a thesaurus and "songmeaningsDOTcom". Singing style is very much original with Rody's trademark sound. Some people found it much less varied in tones but I personally find it fits with the songs perfectly. Some memorable lyrics from a deep yet plain English Rody lyrics are: "Stepped off a chair; so he could learn to let loose". "This isn't about her father or brother; just a few simple words so she knows that I love her." "I've gotta get back to where I was; before my last ten years on autopilot". // 8

Overall Impression: This album is probably my favorite album of all time up to this present date. My favorite songs would be "Tapestry" and "Tongue-Splitter". I love the guitar work; as a guitar player myself it was like getting the sweetest candies when I bought the tab book. Not only is it incredible fun to play their stuff it will undoubtedly improve your technical prowess. I would buy this CD as many times as I could manage to lose it... Which I haven't done yet thank god! // 9

More Protest The Hero reviews rating latest review